Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Starting to think that this "God" is a p bad dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
"I believe in a god that has absolute control over our lives" is a weird rear end thing to say after a massacre. I mean, I know that Calvinism's denial of free will led to some batshit ideas especially in American Evangelical Protestantism but poo poo man.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

"I believe in a god that has absolute control over our lives" is a weird rear end thing to say after a massacre. I mean, I know that Calvinism's denial of free will led to some batshit ideas especially in American Evangelical Protestantism but poo poo man.

When you can't work up a "God is good" you fall back on "God is something, I guess."

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's especially great when "divine intervention" saved person X from certain death, but apparently victims Y and Z were unworthy.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cugel the Clever posted:

It's especially great when "divine intervention" saved person X from certain death, but apparently victims Y and Z were unworthy.

Ron Desantis claimed that his specific prayers were responsible for a hurricane missing Florida, so it's only fair that he receives full blame for every hurricane which does hit Florida.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

What i don't get about the death cult is why do they make theirs suck so much? I mean I like Japanese death poems

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

the fun Satan mentioned in some Ghost songs.

Uh the good one obviously

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Cugel the Clever posted:

Starting to think that this "God" is a p bad dude

One of the many things that made my mom a lapsed Catholic was when a Nun explained to her that the bad things in the world are "simply knots in the back of God's tapestry."

Yep.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

They've got the bad outcome fully covered, either they were a bad person (not a member of that church, brown, whatever) and they deserved that outcome, or they were a good person (correct associations and political views) and they're with God. The worst possible outcome is being alive.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/scoopjefferson/status/1654975125572268033

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1654993928574074881

Usually Satanic Death Cult members aren't as obvious about their beliefs. And this dude doesn't even worship the fun Satan mentioned in some Ghost songs.

"God has absolute control in our lives, yet we still need Police and Sheriffs. Huh."

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You know, it only took me seeing one dead kid to think maybe God is on lunch.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

bulletsponge13 posted:

You know, it only took me seeing one dead kid to think maybe God is on lunch.

"If there is a God, he will have to beg for my forgiveness" carved into a concentration camp wall is something I think about often.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
All this stupid Christian posturing makes a lot more sense when you remember that the non-billionaire flavor of it revolves entirely around suffering as a virtue.

This life is transitory. The earth doesnt matter because it's transitory. It's the gauntlet before your true place in the afterlife. If your kids get shot that's just another trial to get through so you can see them again (*if they got baptized or said the prayer, if not then you might be out of luck bc ur kid is still a dirty heathen).

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the thing that galls me the most is that they have to talk their afterlife up as the best thing ever, like "Oh one day I'll be dead and it'll be cheeseburgers and blowjobs for eternity" like what, "One day I'll be dead and all this bullshit will be somebody else's problem" isn't good enough for you??

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's shocking really really funny just how much modern american prosperity gospel has pushed a material view of heaven and everyone living in mansions and poo poo. It's literally their entire conception of paradise

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Ron Desantis claimed that his specific prayers were responsible for a hurricane missing Florida, so it's only fair that he receives full blame for every hurricane which does hit Florida.

This is one of my favorite Christianity loopholes- you pray for something to miss you so it does harm to others. "gently caress you, got mine!"

And it fits Ron DeSantis perfectly.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Old Boot posted:

All this stupid Christian posturing makes a lot more sense when you remember that the non-billionaire flavor of it revolves entirely around suffering as a virtue.

This life is transitory. The earth doesnt matter because it's transitory. It's the gauntlet before your true place in the afterlife. If your kids get shot that's just another trial to get through so you can see them again (*if they got baptized or said the prayer, if not then you might be out of luck bc ur kid is still a dirty heathen).

It’s a religion created to make slaves/servants stay in line.
It’s worked fairly well.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

"Helsinki University: Parkinson's disease is caused by Desulfovibrio strains, gut bacteria"
"Researchers say certain strains of gut bacteria are the likely cause of Parkinson's disease."

Finnish State Television article;
https://yle.fi/a/74-20030498

University press release;
https://www.helsinki.fi/en/news/brain/researchers-discover-potential-cause-parkinsons-disease

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Good loving lord, all of this is beyond belief

https://cbsaustin.com/news/nation-w...talities-deaths

24-y/o college senior kills two folks while hammered, spends her time in custody relatively lucid (for her .26 BAC) laughing, singing, and worrying about going to class, getting her car back, graduating in 4 weeks, and isn't concerned after repeatedly being told she vehicular-homicided two people, because her friends are gonna take her to Vegas for her birthday.
:stare:

quote:

Melgoza: "You never answered me about my car. I have school tomorrow, so how do I get my car?"
Police: "Well, your car is totaled."
Melgoza: "It's what?"
Police: "Your car is totaled."
Melgoza: "Total, total?"
Police: "Totaled. Wrecked."
Melgoza: "OK, so how do I get it here then?"
Police: "You don't."
Melgoza: "So, I don't go to school tomorrow is what you're telling me?"
Police: "No. ma'am. You want me to be honest with you? You're going to jail. You don't have a bond. You killed two people tonight. I don't think you understand that. You do not have a bond. You are not getting out of jail. Your car is property of East Peoria Police Department because it's a crime scene. It killed two people tonight. You are clueless with that. Clearly, I've already explained this to you. You're going to jail for reckless homicide tonight. You're going to jail for aggravated DUI for killing two people. That's what's going on. So, no you're not going to school tomorrow. You're not getting your car out of impound."
Melgoza: "Can I get it Tuesday for my night class?"
Police: "Did you just hear what I just told you?
Melgoza: "You said I'm not going tomorrow. I'm talking about Tuesday."
Police: "Did you hear what I said?"
Melgoza: "You said, 'you're going to jail tomorrow.'"
Police: "You're going to jail right when we're done here. Did you understand what I told you? That you killed two people tonight?"
Melgoza: "Yes. I'm just wondering when I can go to school."
Police: "OK, we're done. You're all on body camera being completely careless about killing two people tonight. You could care less. That's sad and pathetic and horrible all at the same time."
Melgoza: "Can you say that as a cop?"
Police: "Yes, ma'am. I can."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMHaHwcAPaw&t=1089s

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 7, 2023

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Good loving lord, all of this is beyond belief

https://cbsaustin.com/news/nation-w...talities-deaths

24-y/o college senior kills two folks while hammered, spends her time in custody relatively lucid (for her .26 BAC) laughing, singing, and worrying about going to class, getting her car back, graduating in 4 weeks, and isn't concerned after repeatedly being told she vehicular-homicided two people, because her friends are gonna take her to Vegas for her birthday.
:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMHaHwcAPaw&t=1089s

If somebody is .26 and they're not a regular alcoholic they're basically on another planet as far as processing cause and effect goes. Whoever posted this stuff is a genuine piece of poo poo.

Edit: Just to be clear: Just because someone can respond to questions doesn't mean their brain is actually working. The officer in that video states again and again that she's not getting it because she isn't. She's too drunk to drive, too drunk to consent to anything, and too drunk to contextualize why her responses to these questions are so callous and horrible.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 7, 2023

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Grip it and rip it posted:

If somebody is .26 and they're not a regular alcoholic they're basically on another planet as far as processing cause and effect goes. Whoever posted this stuff is a genuine piece of poo poo.

Edit: Just to be clear: Just because someone can respond to questions doesn't mean their brain is actually working. The officer in that video states again and again that she's not getting it because she isn't. She's too drunk to drive, too drunk to consent to anything, and too drunk to contextualize why her responses to these questions are so callous and horrible.
hosed up that that alcohol just appeared magically in her system when she was behind the wheel of her car. She's the real victim here, right on top of the two people she pulverized.

I mean, I agree that it's dumb to make a spectacle of this murderer as if she's a unique one-off. A huge part of the problem, besides purely systemic/infrastructural issues, is that our society turns a blind eye to a lot of problem behavior to the point that we often encourage both excessive drinking and sociopathic driving. Until we get deep into luxury gay space communism and it's fundamentally transformed our built environment, it'd be great if we took more seriously pulling people back from "making mistakes" like this.

The takeaway from that video ideally shouldn't be "lol, look at her", so much as "gently caress, look at us".

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

If you are at .26 and get behind the wheel, you should literally gently caress your own face. And I’m glad that is being done for her by the criminal/legal system.

I don’t give a rat’s cock about what she said during booking, except in the sense that the things she said can be used to make her gently caress her own face, or assist the prosecution to make her do it even harder.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cugel the Clever posted:

hosed up that that alcohol just appeared magically in her system when she was behind the wheel of her car. She's the real victim here, right on top of the two people she pulverized.

I mean, I agree that it's dumb to make a spectacle of this murderer as if she's a unique one-off. A huge part of the problem, besides purely systemic/infrastructural issues, is that our society turns a blind eye to a lot of problem behavior to the point that we often encourage both excessive drinking and sociopathic driving. Until we get deep into luxury gay space communism and it's fundamentally transformed our built environment, it'd be great if we took more seriously pulling people back from "making mistakes" like this.

The takeaway from that video ideally shouldn't be "lol, look at her", so much as "gently caress, look at us".

You're not wrong, but the point is that it's useless to berate her or consider her a monster for being callous about what she did because her brain isn't working at the point the video is being taken. She literally cannot process what happened in a way that has any meaning. It's not that she's being painted as the victim, and no one's trying to excuse her for drunk driving and killing two people. But the cop is wasting his breath. In the morning when she's less intoxicated she'll begin to understand the magnitude of what she did, and then it'll be fair to judge her reaction.

It's perfectly fair to judge her for the drunk driving, so carry on in that regard. She sucks and should face the consequences for that.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Lemniscate Blue posted:

In the morning when she's less intoxicated she'll begin to understand the magnitude of what she did, and then it'll be fair to judge her reaction.

I have a feeling that her sober reaction to the night's events will be the same as her drunk reaction.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

It happened in April of 2022, and the body camera footage was only released as part of the court proceedings.
She was sentenced to 14 years, two counts aggravated DUI, two counts aggravated reckless driving.

/edit:
I also have it on good authority that college kids drink a shitton and driving while drunk is "no big deal"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

90s Solo Cup posted:

I have a feeling that her sober reaction to the night's events will be the same as her drunk reaction.

It wasn't. She was very remorseful and pled guilty to all charges, didn't try to deny what she did, and apologized to the family at her sentencing.

She made a mistake, hosed up, people died, and she will pay for it for the rest of her life in her nightmares. Don't make her out to be a sociopathic monster because your brain unplugs when you have .26 BAC. She also swore off alcohol after that and supposedly had not had a drop since the incident, and never wants to touch it again.

(Don't mistake this for me giving her a pass for her actions, she can get hosed eternally for getting behind the wheel, but I can also understand how at 0.26 you literally are unaware of your surroundings and have approximately 1 neuron in your brain working)

People who claim "oh I would have sobered up if I hit two people while drunk driving" have never had a BAC like that. 0.26 is about 1 shot from being comatose nope I was wrong, it's 0.4 where becoming comatose begins, but .18 to .20 is extreme impairment, you are literally unable to think anything resembling a coherent thought no matter what at that point. Whoever was with her should have never let her go near a vehicle, but ultimately the responsibility rests with her still, because she surely was not out on her own drinking like that, she was coming home from a party most likely.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 7, 2023

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

It wasn't. She was very remorseful and pled guilty to all charges, didn't try to deny what she did, and apologized to the family at her sentencing.

She made a mistake, hosed up, people died, and she will pay for it for the rest of her life in her nightmares. Don't make her out to be a sociopathic monster because your brain unplugs when you have .26 BAC. She also swore off alcohol after that and supposedly had not had a drop since the incident, and never wants to touch it again.

(Don't mistake this for me giving her a pass for her actions, she can get hosed eternally for getting behind the wheel, but I can also understand how at 0.26 you literally are unaware of your surroundings and have approximately 1 neuron in your brain working)

People who claim "oh I would have sobered up if I hit two people while drunk driving" have never had a BAC like that. 0.26 is about 1 shot from being comatose nope I was wrong, it's 0.4 where becoming comatose begins, but .18 to .20 is extreme impairment, you are literally unable to think anything resembling a coherent thought no matter what at that point. Whoever was with her should have never let her go near a vehicle, but ultimately the responsibility rests with her still, because she surely was not out on her own drinking like that, she was coming home from a party most likely.

Estimating her body weight that's roughly 8 shots in the hour before she drove.
No excuses and she's going to pay for what she did but I'm really curious if she was drinking alone or did her friends let her leave a pre-party? wtf

lordy I'd have to take like 16 shots to get that drunk in a hour. the gently caress is wrong with people

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

Estimating her body weight that's roughly 8 shots in the hour before she drove.
No excuses and she's going to pay for what she did but I'm really curious if she was drinking alone or did her friends let her leave a pre-party? wtf

lordy I'd have to take like 16 shots to get that drunk in a hour. the gently caress is wrong with people

If you have your friends around you pressuring you and amping you up, it's very easy to find yourself 8 shots deep, especially towards the end of that hour. Do 2 or 3 shots in like 10 minutes, and by minute 25, that 4th, 5th, 6th, etc are looking very doable if you're not a regular drinker.

I have found myself on the recieving end of 6 different people walking up to me and calling a "Cheers!" within a 5 minute period when I was at a club, even recently. I knew my limits far better than this woman and cut myself off/started doing water shots and handed my keys to a sober friend, but I'm also 34 and have a much more seasoned head on my shoulders. That's how I can understand exactly how she wound up in that situation. If you don't know to start doing water shots then you will *extremely* rapidly find yourself inebriated beyond your capacity to reason.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 7, 2023

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

If you have your friends around you pressuring you and amping you up, it's very easy to find yourself 8 shots deep, especially towards the end of that hour. Do 2 or 3 shots in like 10 minutes, and by minute 25, that 4th, 5th, 6th, etc are looking very doable if you're not a regular drinker.

I have found myself on the recieving end of 6 different people walking up to me and calling a "Cheers!" within a 5 minute period when I was at a club, even recently. I knew my limits far better than this woman and cut myself off/started doing water shots, but I'm also 34 and have a much more seasoned head on my shoulders. That's how I can understand exactly how she wound up in that situation. If you don't know to start doing water shots then you will *extremely* rapidly find yourself inebriated beyond your capacity to reason.

I'm 45 and worked in a bar for 10 years. I'm no spring chicken myself and it's still pretty loving stupendous amount to pound at the start of an evening. One of the things that bothers me about that video is her balance is barely off and she's not staggering nearly at all. She's just shutting out selective information. So strange.

Reminds me of the time I went on a date with a little person who pounded 4 shots of whiskey and started a bar fight all within 15 minutes. About the same blood level I'd guess.
No we didnt go on a second date.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 7, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

I'm 45 and worked in a bar for 10 years. I'm no spring chicken myself and it's still pretty loving stupendous amount to pound at the start of an evening. One of the things that bothers me about that video is her balance is barely off and she's not staggering nearly at all. She's just shutting out selective information. So strange.

Alcohol affects everyone differently, there's general hallmarks of different levels of BAC, but it can vary, her sense of balance may not be impaired while her mental faculties could be completely obliterated, which is what they seem to be.

And yes, 8 shots is an absolutely idiotic amount of alcohol to start your evening off with. If I am at a club for 5 or 6 hours, I might do 8 alcohol shots with the rest being water or soda between when I show up and 2AM when poo poo is starting to wind down, and I'm not driving home. It's inexperience and idiocy, which is a hallmark of being an early 20-something, especially in that situation.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 7, 2023

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I fully agree that there's no reason to generally demonize someone based on a context-less depiction of their conduct, no discussion there, but I feel like some of y'all are kinda missing the point that you're making yourselves

Grip it and rip it posted:

If somebody is .26 and they're not a regular alcoholic

That's pretty much the issue. Look at her traffic stop, listen to her talk with the on-scene officer.

orange juche posted:

I can also understand how at 0.26 you literally are unaware of your surroundings and have approximately 1 neuron in your brain working)

Fully agreed, I'm right there with you.
Now watch her traffic stop.

Outside of slurred speech, she forms coherent sentences, is aware of time and place, responds to the officer's questions perfectly fine, and compared to other folks with much lower BAC I've seen fail spectaculary in field sobriety tests, she doesn't even fail it hard.
Like, when I saw the traffic stop vid, I thought to myself "oh yeah, she's absolutely had too much to be driving", thinking it'd be like 0.1 or something

She had point. two. six. BAC.

If we're gonna argue that at .26 BAC a normal human being cannot physically function and their brain doesn't work, then I'm gonna point at the video of her brain working and her body physically functioning like mine does when I've had like five beers, and say "that there is a person with a history of substantial alcohol abuse based on the point you're making".

Like, good on her for saying the only correct thing at sentencing, vowing to learn from her mistake and apologizing for the family. Maybe she learns from this. Cool beans.
I'm gonna be over here assuming that by the way she can conduct herself at point two loving six BAC, she's absolutely been fully indulgent in the continuous college binge-drinking experience, and I also have very strong doubts that this was the first time she drove under the influence. I'm also assuming this very thing may have been presented in court with corroborating evidence, leading to the 14 year sentence.

Maybe I'm biased because I've lost friends to drunk drivers, or had three years in an American college observing the completely broken drinking-and-driving culture in college, but two people had their lives ended by her, and based on what was reported and what I can see with my own eyes, I don't feel a strong sense of assuming she's going to learn from this or even "putting her actions into context.", sorry.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 7, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

orange juche posted:

She also swore off alcohol after that and supposedly had not had a drop since the incident, and never wants to touch it again.

Shouldn’t be an issue if your only option is some moldy fruit stuck behind a radiator.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Regardless, she is clearly blasted and fails the poo poo out of that field sobriety test. Not terribly impressive that she can stumble around and fail to understand very basic instructions that the cop is explaining pretty calmly. It’s not like he’s doing the thing of yelling in a hoarse voice not to move and also “get down” or whatever in the same breath.

Plus when she describes that she’s not that drunk her comparison is that she’s still conscious and can see things. So a pretty low bar she’s got.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It happened in April of 2022, and the body camera footage was only released as part of the court proceedings.
She was sentenced to 14 years, two counts aggravated DUI, two counts aggravated reckless driving.

/edit:
I also have it on good authority that college kids drink a shitton and driving while drunk is "no big deal"

I once ended a date when the woman mentioned that she and her friends had learned how to drive drunk in high school. She really didn't seem to see the problem since they never got in a wreck or got caught.

People really do overestimate their own abilities as drivers when they're sober, and catastrophically so if they think they can safely operate a car after drinking.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I once ended a date when the woman mentioned that she and her friends had learned how to drive drunk in high school. She really didn't seem to see the problem since they never got in a wreck or got caught.

People really do overestimate their own abilities as drivers when they're sober, and catastrophically so if they think they can safely operate a car after drinking.

I still recall the single time I got into something that could even remotely come close to "a disagreement of opinions" with my Korean roommates at NAU in the fall/spring of 2016/2017. Quotation marks because I was the Oppa and my guidance was the gospel as an old person in their book for some reason.
They had another Korean friend that was there on an F-1 visa for a full 4-year degree as opposed to the J-1 visas they were riding for 2 semesters, and she had both a car and an off-campus apartment, which was "the holy grail" for international students. She was also 20 years old.

I repeatedly told them I don't have the remotest moral issue with her drinking at our place because I'm loving German, but if Campus cops bust our place, my visa was always at risk because I'm the 30-year old that is somehow "harboring" underage alcohol consumption. (there were, bizzarely enough, precedents for my concerns)
My attempt at a compromise was to tell them I'd be fine with her drinking at our place as long as long as we were flying under the radar, and not attracting campus cops' interest.
I later learned that she was driving home from our little apartment events every single time.

So I confronted my roommates about it and told them she's no longer welcome at our place if she's gonna drink and drive.
That was the first time my roomates deviated from their cultural conditioning of just "deferring to the wisom of the old man", because after 8 months of living in Arizona, they had understood that drinking and driving is fine "if you live on Campus or live just off campus, and there's no traffic when you're driving home anyway".

It still bugs me to this day, and is the reason for my anectodal-evidence-based assumption that drinking-and-driving is fine as long as you're in college/on campus.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 7, 2023

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

A soldier I served with was a habitual Drunk Driver. He got away with a lot because Iraq was kicking, and he was good in the field.

Two years later, he was sentenced to 10 years for a DUI killing a College Professor in GA while he was assigned to be an Airborne School Instructor.

Two lives lost, two families ruined, two fathers lost to their kids. I told my Platoon mates that if any of them got a DUI, I'd catch an Article 15. There was literally no loving reason to have it happen in the Army. There are literally 25 people you could call, or just have CQ pay for a ride.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
20 year olds are extremely stupid and drinking culture and peer pressure don't improve anything. My grad school peers were always impressed I could just stop drinking or slow down so I could continue to make good decisions. My 20s would have been better if I had learned that sooner.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
she got drunk and got behind the wheel and killed people. who gives a gently caress what she says or does.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
In one of the most after school special as real life moments, a coworker I was yelling at for drunk driving said “I dunno, sometimes I just… I feel so invincible”

She was later fired for her behavior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Georgia Southern university is in a dry county. I'd heard from some high school classmates that went there that you do not want to be driving after dark on the road between campus and the liquor stores and bars just across the county line.

Also my dad and stepmom stepmom were habitual DUI offenders. It was extra stupid for my stepmom because she worked in sales and had a company car so she could cover her territory.

While thankfully she never hit anyone, she eventually got enough DUIs her company considered it a liability to have her driving around and fired her. No one else wanted to hire her and take that risk either. So she went from six figgie sales to an over 50% pay cut for a position that didn't require travel. Of course she never really took responsibility for this and insisted on blaming everything and everyone else for making it a big deal. She kept on refusing responsibility and naturally ended up going full QAnon.