Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

which classic rock band/artists did they talk about

It's less about that and more about "this isn't music! Led Zepplin is music!!!" boomers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

funny that 'types of guys' is a felix bit but he hasn't guested yet. maybe he's filing suit

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://theintercept.com/2023/05/06/deconstructed-dmitri-mehlhorn-democratic-party/

If you want to torture yourself as much as I do apparently and want to hear one of the more ghoulish motherfuckers in the world and who is very powerful in the dem party because he has a billionaire friend......... ooof

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Just two markov bots chatting at each other

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Doc Hawkins posted:

why don't they make cartoon faces that are unattractive, like mainichi kaa-san, i bet that'd be easy to animate

I've narrowed my Vtuber avatar down to three options

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/g0m/status/1339282322999406593

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
whats the vtuber defense for why pretty much every one talks like a toddler

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Zedhe Khoja posted:

they're just copying anime

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Zedhe Khoja posted:

i think you know why OP

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

you know who else is a baby?

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Zedhe Khoja posted:

It’s not as much a defence as it is an eager acknowledgment:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I watched a vtuber playing black and white 2 and she just talked like a normal person. Why are you looking for the ones that talk like children?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

I watched a vtuber playing black and white 2 and she just talked like a normal person. Why are you looking for the ones that talk like children?

Yeah, I don't watch any vtubers (for the same reason I don't watch streamers in general, the concept just doesn't appeal to me), but it just seems like "streaming, but the streamer is playing a character (in a way that also allows people who might not be comfortable with their actual appearance to do so)."

The issues for vtubers seem to just overlap with other parasocial issues, where people inevitably get weird about their Internet Friends (except it can probably get worse due to the internet friends looking like animes).

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

tokin opposition posted:

I'm like the guy who wrote the phone book.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
the only vtubers I've seen have been on like funny clips other ppl send me and it's usually nothing to do with video games it's just like a standup bit.

I admit that I loled at the cartoon baby talking about how much red bull they drink during their WFH job

Cancel me for this if you must

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Zedhe Khoja posted:

so do most podcasters and streamers.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

So did most of the girls I knew back in college, which fits that women vtubers are all zoomers to millennials in their early to mid 30s.

The baby talk thing is weird, but not in just an weird Japan/anime way but just in a patriarchal society way. I remember a clip I saw once of a vtuber almost breaking down in fear cause she thought she'd lose her auidence speaking in her real voice and not the heightened falsetto.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
anyways, most vtubers don't play the games I like so its no big deal either way. vtubers are just a subset of streamers anyways.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Tankbuster posted:

I don't buy it.

Pokimane: deep voice
Amouranth: deep voice
39daph: deep deep voice

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I'm gonna become the political vtuber and use it to pivot into podcasts

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

why don't they make cartoon faces that are unattractive, like mainichi kaa-san, i bet that'd be easy to animate

There are if you use a pngtuber that is just a still image with some frames for mouth flaps and blinks, but they're more on the furry side of things. There's a streamer I follow sometimes that is part of the TCRF\Hidden Palace wiki whose character is a red panda and the channel points are used to play with the character with powerups, color changes, hp changes and so on. The streams aren't necessairly "go here to see a red panda play videogames" but more "pals go to hang out while she plays with stuff".

However if you have already drawn model assets that already do a character well, moving from the anime girl v-tuber rig system would be hard. Either that or you go with something like this or this. https://veado.tube/ already makes that a bit easier to some extent.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Kunster posted:

There are if you use a pngtuber that is just a still image with some frames for mouth flaps and blinks, but they're more on the furry side of things. There's a streamer I follow sometimes that is part of the TCRF\Hidden Palace wiki whose character is a red panda and the channel points are used to play with the character with powerups, color changes, hp changes and so on. The streams aren't necessairly "go here to see a red panda play videogames" but more "pals go to hang out while she plays with stuff".

However if you have already drawn model assets that already do a character well, moving from the anime girl v-tuber rig system would be hard. Either that or you go with something like this or this. https://veado.tube/ already makes that a bit easier to some extent.

that doesn't look anything like a red panda you stupid idiot!!!!

this is a red panda:

https://files.catbox.moe/jp6dl9.mp4

what the gently caress is this poo poo

crepeface has issued a correction as of 12:57 on May 7, 2023

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
sounds like aids

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
look at how cute that video of a red panda is

now look at that vtuber

gently caress

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Goa Tse-tung posted:

39daph: deep deep voice

daph is funny as poo poo

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Kunster posted:

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Majorian posted:

I've been getting into Bryan Quinby's "Guys" podcast and it's pretty fun so far. Christman's "History Guys" episode was good, so was "Classic Rock Guys" with Chris Wade.

It's so good. Softball guys was a fun one.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

oh, you're thinking like, cutting at the jaw and animating the mouth moving up and down like in a terry gilliam animation? that's a good idea too,

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I know that you are posting that in disapproval, but I take it you are familiar with how the word Veado is used in Brazilian?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

this discussion is aids please post about podcasts

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

Im starting a podcast about vtubers

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Talking Ironmouse, episode 1

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Kunster posted:

I know that you are posting that in disapproval, but I take it you are familiar with how the word Veado is used in Brazilian?

no idea what you're talking about

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Kunster posted:

oh, lol

possibly a poor choice of words

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

lobster shirt posted:

No we’re talking about Brazilian slurs.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

Im starting a podcast about vtubers

Talkin’ Tubin’ is already taken

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

we got a slur for gay people in hindi too

we call them gujarati

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Oh are we sharing our foreign slurs knowledge. I had a Persian friend who taught me kuni

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

my serious response is that i think streams and podcasts fulfill the same role for most of the people watching or listening to them: a substitute for social contact. i don't mean this as a criticism, more as an unavoidable consequence of mediation and publication of words, and the human voice. the effect is older than radio; new technologies did not invent parasociality, but enabled higher-fidelity simulacra to be delivered to larger numbers of smaller (ie better-targeted) audiences, which has made it stronger.

but by stronger i don't mean more intense: parasociality doesn't necessitate obsession, even the driest podcast can't help but give the listener glimpses into the lives of people making it, and even the coolest and most sane listener can't help but get a personal impression of them. and then there's scripted, fictional work, where the creators are most actively and consciously trying to cultivate this effect, rightfully unconcerned that they might be too engaging to their audience. The Sorrows of Young Werther was blamed for an epidemic of suicides, hopefully some new Goethe will make the podcast version of that soon.