Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

CannonFodder posted:

Friday morning driving home from work I was almost rear-ended while driving on the interstate. I was in the slow lane going the speed limit, just chilling, and I noticed headlights closing in on me, and fast. I hit the go fast pedal and went from 65 to 80 quite quickly and the other driver barely missed me as they went to the fast lane at I'm guessing 90 or higher.

And I drive for a living so I see this poo poo all the time, but at least if they rear-end my trailer I'm totally in the clear and don't have to get a rental while it's repaired (and it would probably win the fight that I didn't ask for)

I was on the way to Chicago south of Milwaukee early one morning and passed an accident where a convertible corvette had run slightly into, mostly under the rear bar of a semi trailer. The top of the car was crushed downward but the front end made it most of the way to the rear axle. There appeared to be no survivors in the car. I am sure the driver of the car was just dicking around and not paying attention, and all the semi trailer had to show for it was some very slightly bent steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I saw a motor bike and rider go under a semi on a highway my first week of having my drivers license that kinda hosed with me for a little while.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The rear bar on trucks was put there to actually stop decapitations, but doesn’t work if you’re running a short car I imagine.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Silly Burrito posted:

Oh I want to, just depends on how tired I am and how good the seats are. Looks like there are some available now, I’m wondering how low they’ll go if I wait.

Last live wrestling show I attended was a local indie and Braks and I had $20 front row seats. We had a hell of a good time.

Indie shows are the best shows imo. All wrestling is fun but there's something especially fun about how intimate indie shows are.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Saw Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 3 and not going to lie Rocket's backstory had me kind of misty-eyed.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I never started watching wrestling for the reason I never started watching soap operas, or started reading comic books at issue #437- there's too much backstory in the way to just jump in

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Some Burros hanging out in my neighborhood

They usually roll thru at night and eat from the trash bins leaving huge mounds of poo poo in their wake, so it was cool seeing them out so early

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 7, 2023

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Are those wild asses?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Leftover from the gold mine and Hollywood days

And reading up on it they used to have annual miner/gold rush holidays all thru the 50s-70s where they would race burros for 40 miles and just ditch them at the end haha

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 7, 2023

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Oh that's cool. Here in Portland there's some peacocks that got loose from one owner ages ago and now there's a muster of them in the city.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

We used to have Peacocks in my neighborhood in South Los Angeles, there’s still flocks of them in Palos Verdes

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Samadhi posted:

I was on the way to Chicago south of Milwaukee early one morning and passed an accident where a convertible corvette had run slightly into, mostly under the rear bar of a semi trailer. The top of the car was crushed downward but the front end made it most of the way to the rear axle. There appeared to be no survivors in the car. I am sure the driver of the car was just dicking around and not paying attention, and all the semi trailer had to show for it was some very slightly bent steel.
The bars at the back of the trailer are also called "Mansfield bars" because https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/but-wait-theres-more/a2142281/heres-why-those-extensions-semi-trailers-are-called-mansfield-bars/ Jayne Mansfield died in a car crash where the car she was in went under a trailer. Those bars were mandated and worked very well. Hitting a bar at bumper height is much better than going under the trailer and hitting the trailer at windshield height.

That said, today the trailer bumper is in a bit of a pickle, because most passenger vehicles are either So large they still hit the beefy main part of the trailer, or they have a lot of crumple zones that work well when colliding with another car but fail when colliding with a GVW 80k trailer.

What I really want is good efficient public transport and walkable neighborhoods and other non-car centric urban planning so people GET THE gently caress OFF THE ROAD

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
There are a ton of peacocks in Miami and they are annoying as poo poo. They gently caress up cars by either attacking them, or jump on top of them to perch and their claws are sharp and tough enough to gently caress up paint jobs. Its tough to get them out of your neighborhood once they settle too.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

a sexual elk posted:

We used to have Peacocks in my neighborhood in South Los Angeles, there’s still flocks of them in Palos Verdes

We have peacocks all over Arcadia!

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I wanna eat one

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

There are a ton of peacocks in Miami and they are annoying as poo poo. They gently caress up cars by either attacking them, or jump on top of them to perch and their claws are sharp and tough enough to gently caress up paint jobs. Its tough to get them out of your neighborhood once they settle too.

Canadian geese are my local version of something like this. Probably everyone's at one point or another if you're in the US, but we've got plenty of year round geese just chilling here. I lived in an apartment complex that had a very nice lake and trail around it that was completely unusable unless you had your trail walking shoes that you used nothing else for because of massive amounts of goose poo poo.

I never saw anyone get into trouble for it but it was technically illegal to gently caress with them in any way (I think it might have been a designated sanctuary or something). But if a goose is standing on the trail you're supposed to give the right of way to the goose. Which is probably wise anyway, but if you annoy a goose in any fashion you could theoretically be evicted and reported to the police for a crime. Also gaggles of the bastards really liked to walk across the road exactly when you're about to be late for work. Horns don't work on em, they've got that built into their system.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
When it's laid out like this, it's especially egregious. Like, they literally have a saved Tweet that they just paste the location into and hit send...

https://twitter.com/AmoneyResists/status/1655028789577932801?t=GPzHyc4ea6Em0Qtm0pL4NA&s=19

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Think I'm gonna get a little drunk on Carlo Rossi Sangria and start my Gundam Wing rewatch, then maybe start a thread in the diary part of PFY about my personal Gundam faves. Or I'll rewatch Zeta and have very different views on Reccoa than the ADTRW Gubdam thread (terrible but actually interesting ).

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

swickles posted:

When it's laid out like this, it's especially egregious. Like, they literally have a saved Tweet that they just paste the location into and hit send...

https://twitter.com/AmoneyResists/status/1655028789577932801?t=GPzHyc4ea6Em0Qtm0pL4NA&s=19

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/659427797853536256?s=20

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead

Android Apocalypse posted:

Oh that's cool. Here in Portland there's some peacocks that got loose from one owner ages ago and now there's a muster of them in the city.

When we lived in the Bay Area of Cali, the apartment complex we were in had a huge flock of peacocks and it took me a couple weeks to get used to them screaming their loving heads off at 2-3am.
They would poo poo everywhere (gross), but they would also leave feathers which our cats absolutely loved as play toys.
I hated those loving birds at first, but after a while they were kinda cool.
We figured out the peacocks loved sunflower seeds so we’d buy the huge bulk bags and they’d hang out by our back door waiting for us to feed them.
I think I still have pics of them on my old pc.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Think I'm gonna get a little drunk on Carlo Rossi Sangria and start my Gundam Wing rewatch, then maybe start a thread in the diary part of PFY about my personal Gundam faves. Or I'll rewatch Zeta and have very different views on Reccoa than the ADTRW Gubdam thread (terrible but actually interesting ).

Rewatch Zeta… or Victory :twisted:

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

The rear bar on trucks was put there to actually stop decapitations, but doesn’t work if you’re running a short car I imagine.

All my cars are short, baby

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Yesterday I spent the day smoking ribs, cleaning, and drinking beer.

Today I'll be spending the day at my buddy's smoking chicken, playing videogames, and drinking beer.

A good weekend imo.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Got up this morning and walked to the coffee shop near me and then went to the farmer’s market. Bought a bunch of meats and ima grill them bitches up today

Also noticed my switch preloaded Tears of the Kingdom and I’m wfh on Friday so :toot:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Grittybeard posted:

Canadian geese are my local version of something like this. Probably everyone's at one point or another if you're in the US, but we've got plenty of year round geese just chilling here. I lived in an apartment complex that had a very nice lake and trail around it that was completely unusable unless you had your trail walking shoes that you used nothing else for because of massive amounts of goose poo poo.

I never saw anyone get into trouble for it but it was technically illegal to gently caress with them in any way (I think it might have been a designated sanctuary or something). But if a goose is standing on the trail you're supposed to give the right of way to the goose. Which is probably wise anyway, but if you annoy a goose in any fashion you could theoretically be evicted and reported to the police for a crime. Also gaggles of the bastards really liked to walk across the road exactly when you're about to be late for work. Horns don't work on em, they've got that built into their system.

The geese here in Portland hang out near the west side of the Willamette River on the Waterfront Park. The peacocks are on the east side.

A part of me would love to see that rumble.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKdJ6DnPhzk

Today looks nice. I'll walk to the farmers market & make dinner from whatever I find there.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Add me to those grilling today. Gonna grill some steak and chicken on the Kamado Joe then make them into fajitas. Beer will also be consumed.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I haven’t had a fun weekend since like 2018

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

It's Cinco Siete de Mayo! I'm going to make double tacos and have a margarita.

The double taco is outer soft tortilla, layer of refried beans, crunchy taco, geound meat, greens, tomato, shredded cheese. It's basically just imitation Taco Bell but sometimes that's what you want, y'know?

Kiddo does not like the taco form factor so her food will likely be nacho style: fillings in a pile with tortilla chips on the side.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Pron on VHS posted:

I haven’t had a fun weekend since like 2018

:sad:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I suppose I can grill some chicken breasts today.

But the tri tip I did sous vide, 8 hours at 130F, yesterday was incredible.

Shout out to Swickles for the rec in the sous vide thread :)

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I’ve gotta just get one. He’s been raving about them for years and I don’t believe a single person who has tried it has been anything but happy with the choice.

What’s the best/most reliable brand to get?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Amy Pole Her posted:

I’ve gotta just get one. He’s been raving about them for years and I don’t believe a single person who has tried it has been anything but happy with the choice.

Hard to go wrong with Anova.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

I've got an Anova Nano. I can vouch for their customer service too - the first one I got had the top just pop off of it when I gently grabbed it out of the cupboard. They sent me a replacement pretty quickly and were super easy to deal with.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

GD_American posted:

Hard to go wrong with Anova.

Sweet!

Anova Culinary | Sous Vide Precision Cooker Nano (750 Watts) & Vacuum Sealer Accessory | Bundle | Anova App Included https://a.co/d/4FGm7hI

Seems pretty explanatory. Appreciate the guidance.

Dango Bango posted:

I've got an Anova Nano. I can vouch for their customer service too - the first one I got had the top just pop off of it when I gently grabbed it out of the cupboard. They sent me a replacement pretty quickly and were super easy to deal with.

Yeah the reviews for nearly every Anova product are resoundingly positive, feels like you can’t miss with whichever you get. I’ll try it out the first night it arrives

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

Sweet!

Anova Culinary | Sous Vide Precision Cooker Nano (750 Watts) & Vacuum Sealer Accessory | Bundle | Anova App Included https://a.co/d/4FGm7hI

Seems pretty explanatory. Appreciate the guidance.

That's a pretty drat good deal too. I bought my sealer separate (circulator was a Christmas gift) and paid $100 for it alone.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That's the one I have. It's fantastic

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

You can also get reusable silicone bags from Anova if you don’t want to use single-use plastic every time you sous vide something. Doing the water displacement trick gets enough air out and if it does wind up floating, it’s easy to hold it down with a binder clip and a spoon. I just flip them inside out and throw them in the dishwasher when I’m cleaning up.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Hell yeah I’m excited. I’ve been really trying to get away from grilling

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Freaquency posted:

You can also get reusable silicone bags from Anova if you don’t want to use single-use plastic every time you sous vide something. Doing the water displacement trick gets enough air out and if it does wind up floating, it’s easy to hold it down with a binder clip and a spoon. I just flip them inside out and throw them in the dishwasher when I’m cleaning up.

This is a good tip, thanks. I'm almost out of my ziplocs I stocked up on when they discontinued the vacuum kind with the little hand pump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

gently caress greg abbott?

https://twitter.com/davidbegnaud/status/1655258866328674305?s=46