Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Paperhouse posted:

Hi Yellowjackets fans

I wrote a song about Jackie and then made a video for it using season 1 clips. It's lofi/indie/alt rock/garage rock or something in that ballpark. I think it is not bad and possibly is actually good? why not listen for one (1) minute and see what you think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoSpXU9ymUI

This is cool and good and I like it. Especially the parts where you’re not afraid to play a bunch of the wrong notes in a row. I hope to one day become that fearless (sincerely)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tagra posted:

The strike really did Heroes dirty, though

Tim Kring did Heroes dirty

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

The television industry is vastly different from how it was during the last writer's strike in 2007. Back then, there were no streaming services, the only cable network making noteworthy TV was HBO (some will point to FX, I'd say not yet), and the major networks were still the ones controlling the game. 24 episodes were still the standard episode order per season, and new shows aired pretty much only from September to May. The 2007 strike ruined a lot of shows like Heroes, and most notably Pushing Daisies. The TV industry survived the pandemic, it'll survive this strike.

I support the strike and I'm not worried about this show.

But also the strike "ruining" shows is a kind of false narrative for various reasons, and never really talks about the show that was actually precipitously impacted by the strike -- Girlfriends.

Heroes was already bad, the strike didn't go back and time and help them produce eleven substandard episodes of television. It certainly didn't cause them to produce two more seasons of poo poo after the strike was over. And there's an argument to be made that Pushing Daisies benefited from having its first season cut early, in that it put a halt to its ratings nosedive.

Rarity posted:

Tim Kring did Heroes dirty

Yeah, show was obviously pretty bad from at least the end of the first season, and it never pulled up.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People also keep bringing up the infamous second season of Friday Night Lights but that was all executive meddling. The strike just cut the season short, thankfully.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

People also keep bringing up the infamous second season of Friday Night Lights but that was all executive meddling. The strike just cut the season short, thankfully.

Oh yeah, I saw someone blame the strike for the Tyra and Landry plot? That makes no sense, and completely misremembers the order the season played out in.

That plot started in the second season premier (because, as you point out, executives wanted to do something sexy and shocking to start the season off with), and the strike happened about ten episodes later.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

fullroundaction posted:

This is cool and good and I like it. Especially the parts where you’re not afraid to play a bunch of the wrong notes in a row. I hope to one day become that fearless (sincerely)

any wrong notes are both wholly unintended and wholly endorsed. thank you for listening!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Okay, the (new episode spoilers) fake-out with eating the baby was horrifying, but I really, really loved a concerned mom saying her teenage daughter should've just had sex with a cop, because it would have legal ramifications. The modern-time story isn't exactly gripping, but that sure was an awful moment.

Also, does anyone have opinions on this thing? New episode spoiler image:

It sort of looks like the eye-pyramid thing, but the other lines obfuscate it.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
The editing in this episode was enough to give me whiplash.

Hated how ridiculous / unrealistic / unbelievably contrived all of the adult stuff was in pretty much every storyline, but I guess the show has a built-in excuse for what would normally be considered "bad writing" since one of the themes is an outside force bringing everyone back together.

The ending with the teens was loving brutal. The younger characters are doing an amazing job and they all acted their asses off in the final scenes.

Rappaport posted:

Also, does anyone have opinions on this thing? New episode spoiler image:

It's the same symbol that's been showing up for the entire show.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Shauna is just the worst at being a criminal, dear lord

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I actually thought this week the adult story was kind of good. Callie played her part in the interrogation really well (maybe I put too much faith in the American justice system but surely you can't have the guy who seduced a teenager interview the mum of that teenager, right), and the adults are finally together which means something might... happen?

I totally thought the baby had died the entire time, was convinced it was all a fakeout, then convinced myself it was real, so the end scene actually threw me. Well done.

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long

fullroundaction posted:

Hated how ridiculous / unrealistic / unbelievably contrived all of the adult stuff was in pretty much every storyline, but I guess the show has a built-in excuse for what would normally be considered "bad writing" since one of the themes is an outside force bringing everyone back together.

Yeah it was pretty contrived but I can forgive it and look past it now that they're all back together. I'm actually looking forward to the next episode now that the gang's all here.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Sooo as parents to a 2 month old baby, this is probably an episode we should skip? violence involving children hits different now

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

There's a really bad bit about hurting children yeah, if it makes you uncomfortable don't watch.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

meanolmrcloud posted:

Sooo as parents to a 2 month old baby, this is probably an episode we should skip? violence involving children hits different now

yeah, absolutely brutal ending

quite liked this episode, the dreams and fakeouts are feeling pretty overplayed though

Moltke
May 13, 2009
"it's a boy" and "frere jacques" had me thinking that there would be some significance to the kid 23 years later. surprised to see the end but not sure it's the last word on the baby.

quite liked the episode and that all the yellowjackets are together now in adulthood. i get the sense that the season has been building to a big reveal especially with the last shot.

Raivin
Jan 9, 2002
Pillbug

EvilHawk posted:

I totally thought the baby had died the entire time, was convinced it was all a fakeout, then convinced myself it was real, so the end scene actually threw me. Well done.

Yeah, me too. Everyone smiling/reassuring Shauna when she regained consciousness felt like Jackie & Lottie's dreams while they were dying so I assumed it was something similar, but they suckered me with the subsequent scenes. What a gut punch.

It was contrived as hell but at least the adults are all together now. But where do they go from here? Another séance?

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Shauna's gonna snap. But will she go catatonic or on a killrampage?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

That was by far the most horrific scene so far in the series. Not just the child thing but the music, the feral hunched blood-splattered girl. Disturbing. Interesting that Coach was there, and got a closeup, while he's the only one who has not partaken in cannibalism so far.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Misty is still the show's MVP character. both Sammi Hagerty and Ricci crush it every week. her enjoying the luxuries of being worshipped in a cult is great! they should have had her there the whole time instead of Natalie, who has been absolutely squandered this season. I feel like with her mis-shooting we're being set up for a tragic ending for her.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Rarity posted:

Shauna is just the worst at being a criminal, dear lord

She's rocking a Built to Spill shirt.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

this episode brought to you by having babies in hospitals

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

alf_pogs posted:

Misty is still the show's MVP character. both Sammi Hagerty and Ricci crush it every week. her enjoying the luxuries of being worshipped in a cult is great! they should have had her there the whole time instead of Natalie, who has been absolutely squandered this season. I feel like with her mis-shooting we're being set up for a tragic ending for her.

I know actors are trained for this and there’s a lot that goes into hair, makeup and wardrobe but she is drat good. Yesterday I said to my wife that I keep forgetting that’s Ricci. I get totally immersed in her character, she pulls it off masterfully.

baby talk: I started off thinking that it didn’t make it, she was dreaming from the blood loss. Then I thought maybe she was carrying around the dead baby in shock that’s why the others put her in the room by herself. There were stretches where it didn’t move or cry. When she finally came to, between the look on the girls faces and her crying in denial and grief, had me tearing up it was so heart wrenching.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

We have some friends who had several miscarriages and only just mere weeks ago had a successful delivery. I will not be recommending this show to them... oof. That was a lot of painful emotion.

Apparently the footage for that scene was accidentally wiped and they had to film it all again, which is brutal in a number of ways.

https://collider.com/yellowjackets-season-2-episode-6-reshoot-jasmin-savoy-brown-comments/ posted:

“I'm sure you've heard this story, but maybe not, that we had to shoot a lot of Episode 6 twice. We shot most of the birth stuff, the losing the baby, all of that and then the camera wiped. It was the worst day of a lot of our lives, no exaggeration, because it took like four days to shoot that scene. The screaming, the crying, the baby, the blood, the close-ups, and then like 40% of it just vanished and we had to do it again … So I just wanted to be present for Sophie and for everyone and just really be there. Even if I was off camera, sometimes looking in another actor’s eyes is what will get the emotion going again.”

Shauna's speech to the cop about how she's a bad mother felt sincere, and is pretty bleak in the context. She's so traumatized that she feels like she can't connect to her family or feel true love, and meanwhile Jeff is outside singing "gently caress the police" and is willing to do a false confession and go to jail for her to remain free.

Also found this kind of interesting article about the filming: http://hollywoodnorthbuzz.com/2023/03/yellowjackets-season-2-updates-where-did-it-film.html

quote:

Yellowjackets needed so much of Krendl blown paper snow in season 2 that B.C. ran out of it and production had to order more from Alberta.

quote:

The most painful day for us on the show was when a freak snowstorm hit Vancouver. We were shooting two units on Monday, and over the weekend [before the shoot], we had to remove real snow from our present timeline location while adding fake snow to the past timeline location

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
drat all of that production stuff is crazy. I wish the writers were working half as hard as the crew is.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The biggest flag that the baby wasn’t real is how huge it was.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Well yes the several month old (~6?) perfect baby who is completely dry and chubby was outside of even TV norms for such actors.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Yeah, but incorrect sizes are very common in media

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
The repeated crying sound effect they played at one point for the baby really made me scratch my head because it sounded so … artificial? Not the sound effect itself but that they played the same one like 20x in a row with no variation.

At least in coach’s daydreams/whatever everything he’s fantasizing about is cool / good / positive. Don’t know if things still being pretty hosed up in Shauna’s is a really clever way to inform us about her character, or if they just needed it to be that way to try to fake out the audience. I assume the later.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

angerbeet posted:

Well yes the several month old (~6?) perfect baby who is completely dry and chubby was outside of even TV norms for such actors.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Yeah, but incorrect sizes are very common in media

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddNMQGcg0-w

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The use of “Frere Jacques” had me wondering if it was another death dream, but then I remembered that the cabin ghost guy isn’t quebecois, or isn’t presented that way in Jackie’s dream.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

fullroundaction posted:

The repeated crying sound effect they played at one point for the baby really made me scratch my head because it sounded so … artificial? Not the sound effect itself but that they played the same one like 20x in a row with no variation.

At least in coach’s daydreams/whatever everything he’s fantasizing about is cool / good / positive. Don’t know if things still being pretty hosed up in Shauna’s is a really clever way to inform us about her character, or if they just needed it to be that way to try to fake out the audience. I assume the later.

Yeah but notice that coach is losing the capacity to perfectly imagine that Seinfeld dream apartment and the weird birch wallpaper and fireplace keep back creeping in now.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Honestly I kinda wish alternate universes were coming in and coach and shauna both managed to cast their consciousness for a bit

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

During Season 1's attempted abortion I was thinking "You're under a shitload of stress and will be starving and malnourished soon if you're not already. At this early of a stage it will probably sort itself out without the need for outside intervention." During this episode I was genuinely not sure which would be worse... if the baby didn't make it (but she had to carry it 9 months anyway which is brutal both in terms of psychology and resources), or if the baby DID make it and then they couldn't feed it...

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
they managed to put all the worst parts of the birthing experience and the post-birthing baby feeding experience into a one-two gut punch, plus a little cannibalism fakeout which in hospital settings is uncommon

very exciting that the gang is all back together, who knows what caper they'll get up to next! almost certainly eventually involves the murder of mustache cop!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

fullroundaction posted:

yeah the first time the baby was crying the sound repetition was nuts, it was like they just kept hitting the same middle c on their sample keyboard. however, that also makes me think they did a good job approximating how annoying a baby's inconsolable crying is. big "kid in Babadook" energy.

Moustache Cop Saracusa's demise will come from Callie, maybe by accident - but then will be covered up / protected by Shauna et al. Jeff will continue slowly unravelling and become a liability but crank increasingly radical jams alone in his car. in prison he will form a nu-metal band.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

The baby's incessant crying had me thinking Shauna would lose her poo poo over being hungry/unable to feed him/unable to soothe him and she'd just strangle the kid.

We're finally past all the episodes that reviewers were allowed to see early. I do agree that it's been a little uneven so far but I'm still really invested in what's going to happen next.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Whew, that was a tough ending to watch. Incredible acting.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Sophie Nelisse doin work

I hate hate hate watching baby peril so it not making it out of that episode will make it easier for me to watch. whew though

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I can't help but think that while they aren't going to completely rip off Lost, I do think that the grand "twist" is going to be that they're stuck in parallel realities, they're unconsciously becoming aware of that, and there's a reality where they were never rescued, which is why their recollections are "hazy." It also explains the bloody baby-eatin' blanket. This episode kinda clinched it for me with the Coach's revelation - he was the first to figure it out, and the rest of them are lagging behind.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t think the writing is that clever. It’s probably going to be something very rote like witches or something.