Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is kind of goofy how there's a big dramatic scene near the end that relies on Quill not wearing his mask for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

It is kind of goofy how there's a big dramatic scene near the end that relies on Quill not wearing his mask for some reason.

Does he wear it at all in this one? Feels almost like Gunn acknowledging the complaints about how ubiquitous the disappearing masks have become and saying gently caress it, we'll just drop it all together

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's worth it for the sight gag of Adam heroically carrying Quill and his giant face to Knowhere.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gaz-L posted:

Does he wear it at all in this one? Feels almost like Gunn acknowledging the complaints about how ubiquitous the disappearing masks have become and saying gently caress it, we'll just drop it all together

Not even once. It’s such a weird choice considering the rocket boots and helmet are such iconic parts of his look but would have made the ending trivial.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Not even once. It’s such a weird choice considering the rocket boots and helmet are such iconic parts of his look but would have made the ending trivial.

There's a lot of fan talk about Quill joining the Avengers now that he's on Earth but isn't he just a guy without all his tech?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

live with fruit posted:

There's a lot of fan talk about Quill joining the Avengers now that he's on Earth but isn't he just a guy without all his tech?
So was Tony

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tell me you didn't see Iron Man 3 without telling me you didn't see Iron Man 3.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sure, but he had his tech. Peter's gone from a whole spaceship full of stuff to a backpack.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Tell me you didn't see Iron Man 3 without telling me you didn't see Iron Man 3.
My point was that he doesn't have any powers

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

My point was that he doesn't have any powers

There's a difference between Starlord, who basically is a dude who knows how to use alien tech but probably couldn't build any, anymore than you or I can build a car or smartphone from scratch, and Tony Stark, where the whole point of his 3rd film is that it's not the suit: HE is Iron Man, and he proves it by being able to jury rig his way through half the movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

live with fruit posted:

Even without his weapons/tech Quill is still like an expert level fighter.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

speaking of, i spent the entire movie trying to see if there was a stark logo on nebula's arm

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

site posted:

speaking of, i spent the entire movie trying to see if there was a stark logo on nebula's arm
I think there was a line that Rocket made the new arm for her

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

There's a difference between Starlord, who basically is a dude who knows how to use alien tech but probably couldn't build any, anymore than you or I can build a car or smartphone from scratch, and Tony Stark, where the whole point of his 3rd film is that it's not the suit: HE is Iron Man, and he proves it by being able to jury rig his way through half the movie.

You could also argue that Stark isn't just a guy when he's a genius on the level of Rocket, who's smarter than a guy who built entire societies.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

You could also argue that Stark isn't just a guy when he's a genius on the level of Rocket, who's smarter than a guy who built entire societies.

I loved the unspoken part of the HE clearly being obsessed with Rocket because Rocket's smarter than him

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

I loved the unspoken part of the HE clearly being obsessed with Rocket because Rocket's smarter than him

I like how Iwuji played the High Evolutionary as drunk in one of the scenes. Just a real POS dad who's jealous of/threatened by his son.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Scott is probably a better comparison. Star Lord doesn’t have powers without his tech, but he’s still got leadership skills, planning abilities, and is a master thief.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Opopanax posted:

Scott is probably a better comparison. Star Lord doesn’t have powers without his tech, but he’s still got leadership skills, planning abilities, and is a master thief.

He could join the Ant-Family, assuming they're in the same universe.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
does quill have any residual effects of being half celestial even if he lost creation powers after killing ego

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

does quill have any residual effects of being half celestial even if he lost creation powers after killing ego
I think whatever powers he had disappeared when Ego died

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Soul Glo posted:

Technically no but they could always change that

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It’s also hardly a reach to assume that Peter brought his boots, mask, and guns with him to Earth, especially considering he arrived in a spaceship that he presumably still has access to, since it’s not like anyone dropped him off.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Even without his weapons/tech Quill is still like an expert level dancer.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Peter also just has knowledge of cosmic threats and poo poo that other Avengers may not

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
He’s probably got some things locked away on account of being Ego’s kid.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Even without his weapons/tech Quill is still like an expert level fighter.

So is basically everyone who's ever been on the Shield payroll.

What Quill does bring to the table that dollar store Black Widow or random Shield goon #47 doesn't is a knowledge of cosmic level bullshit and connections to people who can find out poo poo that the other cosmic players can't.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

8one6 posted:

So is basically everyone who's ever been on the Shield payroll.

What Quill does bring to the table that dollar store Black Widow or random Shield goon #47 doesn't is a knowledge of cosmic level bullshit and connections to people who can find out poo poo that the other cosmic players can't.

How valuable is cosmic level knowledge against Kang?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Except for Carol.

I fully expect a scene where Peter steps up as the big know-it-all of the cosmic threat they’re facing just to have her cut him off and correct him.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

live with fruit posted:

How valuable is cosmic level knowledge against Kang?

i think all the kangs died mysteriously and we'll never hear that name again

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sanschel posted:

Except for Carol.

I fully expect a scene where Peter steps up as the big know-it-all of the cosmic threat they’re facing just to have her cut him off and correct him.

Weren't there reports that Gunn was going to lead the cosmic side of the MCU before he got fired? Because they never really came back to that, despite having so many cosmic characters. A Cosmic Avengers with the Marvels, Guardians, Eternals and Thor (and I guess Nova) would've been pretty cool.

site posted:

i think all the kangs died mysteriously and we'll never hear that name again

They were all on one planet and Galactus ate it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Sanschel posted:

Except for Carol.

From what we've seen in the MCU so far what are the odds anyone will even be able to reach Carol on the phone, let alone the odds she'd be anywhere near Earth to be able to help out with poo poo.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Firebert posted:

It was a good movie, not top 5 though. Honestly, maybe the weakest of the three Guardians movies but still better than average for the MCU as a whole.

I'm more happy about what didn't happen than what did happen in the movie. They did a good sendoff to the cast members without needlessly killing them off. They also did not force Quill and Gamora back together - thank God! Also why did Starlord not have his helmet or rocket boots? They would have come in pretty handy at the end...

My one real complaint is that Drax is mostly just there for laughs again, which is frustrating. I like that he got to have his little moment saving the kids, but 95% of the time was just for gags. I really wish they could have found a better direction for him after the first movie (like they did in the SquareEnix game where he was excellent).

The push and pull of what might happen (i.e. any possible deaths) is what pushed this into my favorite Guardians (kinda the same reason why I liked Top Gun 2).

And the ending and final battle being so personal and rooted in the character's arcs is why this might be one of my favorite, if not favorite Marvel movie so far. It's an amazing piece of blockbuster entertainment.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

8one6 posted:

From what we've seen in the MCU so far what are the odds anyone will even be able to reach Carol on the phone, let alone the odds she'd be anywhere near Earth to be able to help out with poo poo.

Endgame established that the Avengers were in regular communication with her, she showed up for the big fight, Shang Chi continued that she’s in contact with everyone including Wong, and Nick Fury seems to be in communications with her from the Marvels trailer.

Carol may be prone to running off on her own but she seems to answer her cell phone. That seems pretty well established. The counter is literally just that Fury never contacted her before Infinity War. Which seems more on him than her. Or you know the reality that she didn’t exist yet.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Daduzi posted:

Just saw the movie and loved it. Thought: is Guardians of the Galaxy now the best comic book movie trilogy?

Honestly might be one of the best blockbuster trilogies of all time. None of them have ended this well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm kind of torn because the three GotG are great, but you could also have Cap 1-Winter Soldier-Civil War. I think that would be my second choice.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Eh, Cap 1 is merely alright and Civil War is too intertextually related to the wider MCU to really qualify IMO, despite my appreciation for that film. Guardians might take it for me.

Arist fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 8, 2023

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Spider-Home movies are the other best trilogy in the MCU.

Black Panther has a chance to be really special if things don't get derailed by Thunderbolts or something.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 8, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Arist posted:

Eh, Cap 1 is merely alright and Civil War is too intertextually related to the wider MC to really qualify IMO, despite my appreciation for that film. Guardians might take it for me.

Yeah the Cap movies are good-great and Winter Solider is one of the best actual movies out of the MCU, but you could watch the Guardians movies on their own and not be too lost (beyond not knowing what's up with Gamora and even that is explained enough), and I don't think any of the others do that as well.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah honestly i wish cap had been able to have his own third movie but tbh i also can't think of a good cap specific villain for him to face off with, with red skull off the board and doing a second hydra story feels like it wouldn't have landed very well. inb4 hate monger because obviously that wasn't happening either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

site posted:

yeah honestly i wish cap had been able to have his own third movie but tbh i also can't think of a good cap specific villain for him to face off with, with red skull off the board and doing a second hydra story feels like it wouldn't have landed very well. inb4 hate monger because obviously that wasn't happening either
They've done Red Skull, Crossbones, Batroc, Arnim Zola, Flag Smasher (in a slightly different way), Winter Soldier, Baron Strucker, Baron Zemo

From what I can tell the only ones they haven't done are like Dr Faustus and Sin that are major ones, then there are some lesser known ones like Baron Blood. I think it says a lot that the main villain of Cap 4 is going to be a villain that is traditionally more of a Hulk adversary in The Leader. Although he's kind of similar to Dr Faustus in that his big thing is mind control.