Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Osv18
Jul 23, 2022

by vyelkin

Confusedslight posted:

Does anyone know of any good youtube channels/documentaries that are worth checking out that share a similar vibe to this thread?

if you're looking for doom vibes:

https://youtube.com/@collapsechronicles5708

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osv18
Jul 23, 2022

by vyelkin
as for more serious content, planet critical, club of rome, and nate hagens have a ton of collapse/overshoot/extinction long form interviews and stuff.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Confusedslight posted:

Does anyone know of any good youtube channels/documentaries that are worth checking out that share a similar vibe to this thread?

Climate Town is good if you ignore the “write your senators!!” cope at the end of each episode

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
https://chrisryan.substack.com/p/549-charlie-zender-climate-scientist#details

A two hour podcast discussion with Charlie Zander, climate scientist at UC Irvine. A good listen but probably most thread readers already know what he's going to tell us.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

one of the more interesting elements of this moment/era is that no, there really aren't any good media properties doing it well. it perfectly fits in our blindspot of "too depressing for advertising funded distribution and too depressing for social/viral distribution". thats why you get mostly inane/insane copium out of ad funded venues and the occasional artistic exploration of depression like 'nature abhors a dome'. appletv just recently blew truckloads of cash on having a lot of very concerned writers and celebrities try to tell stories about what it could be like and it turned into a muddled, confusing, almost spastic mess.

we literally can't articulate it right now.

the closest you can get is the first half of ministry for the future and then just spiritually 'mans search for meaning'.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

somewhere in the metaverse zoomer herzog is building a gorilla tag map that does it justice

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

articulating the pathos of a dying planet in fortnite

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Thanks! These look interesting and will check them all out.

This point in human history is so fascinating and the "unprecedented" poo poo that has happened and will continue to happen is mind numbing. I just take solace in the fact were not dealing with this collapse alone. Because unless things change dramatically and now it's a coming.

fake edit: I hate how crazy this post sounds but oh well!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Stereotype posted:

that's also just to offset the carbon being emitted right now. carbon capture uses a ton of energy, like 1.2MWh per ton of co2 captured. coal produces about 1.15 MWh per ton of co2. the good news is that natural gas produces 2MWh per ton. so we need to build more like 10,000, and also 5000 more natural gas plants

lol i always wondered about the energy cost of carbon capture. i figured it'd be significant due to the necessity of filtering it out from the air and then compressing it into a high pressure underground reservoir, but i didn't think it'd be that high. i mean at that point they might as well just try to convert it back to solid carbon and store that; hell, they can even burn that carbon again afterwards to produce power because why not. if you're gonna pretend that carbon capture is viable then you might as well pretend that thermodynamics and conservation of energy don't exist and do as much stupid poo poo as you want

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Are we talking about the world's largest carbon capture facility? I heard it just opened in iceland.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

lol i always wondered about the energy cost of carbon capture. i figured it'd be significant due to the necessity of filtering it out from the air and then compressing it into a high pressure underground reservoir, but i didn't think it'd be that high. i mean at that point they might as well just try to convert it back to solid carbon and store that; hell, they can even burn that carbon again afterwards to produce power because why not. if you're gonna pretend that carbon capture is viable then you might as well pretend that thermodynamics and conservation of energy don't exist and do as much stupid poo poo as you want

The one in Iceland is geothermal, the only reason it is viable.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

if you're gonna pretend that carbon capture is viable then you might as well pretend that thermodynamics and conservation of energy don't exist and do as much stupid poo poo as you want
Yeah, pretending thermodynamics isn't real is key to the success direct air capture. Simply put, it's a non-serious idea, and its proponents lie on a Venn diagram of science illiteracy and cynical evil.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Cromulent_Chill posted:

The one in Iceland is geothermal, the only reason it is viable.
Would nuclear not work for these?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

nuclear plants generate a lot of waste heat, which is manageable when you’re only building a handful for power generation but would become an issue if you wanted to begin mass producing them to power carbon capture

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Dystopia Barbarian posted:

Would nuclear not work for these?

They would, China is the only country I can see able to build nuclear plants as the rest of the world devolves into the last bastions of grift. I don't think China would just do it on their own, the biosphere collapse led destabilization other countries will not affect them as harshly due to their aggressive development. In the west the only way to sell carbon capture is if the energy generation is a profit source for O&G.

Edit: also the above that I did not consider.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

cat botherer posted:

Yeah, pretending thermodynamics isn't real is key to the success direct air capture. Simply put, it's a non-serious idea, and its proponents lie on a Venn diagram of science illiteracy and cynical evil.

carbon capture and DAC in particular makes sense, but only after we've completely stopped using fossil fuels and otherwise have a non-carbon economy.

so of course, we instead are focusing on doing CCS so we have an excuse to burn more fossil fuels

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i have a general belief that the world will never be as dramatic as the linear trends appear to be headed, because there will be reactions and changes, I just think the most plausible outcomes are usually correlated to just how loving dumb they would be.

for instance, i think the price of solar is going to drop so far that e-fuels actually do become cost competitive with fracking/tar-sands/inland-distribution, but that that just means we'll do both.

or more likely, the more organized and regulated g20 economies will switch to efuels, while vast swathes of the rest of humanity just keep on burning oil. often because the international market has gotten away from them but they can still just use it themselves.

like i think we're likely to turn the corner and cut emissions from 40Gt/yr down to like 25, and then spool up like 2-3 Gt of DAC, 2-3Gt of CCS, and ~5Gt of land-use, collectively offsetting us down to ~15Gt/year.... and then just continuing to do that for decades and decades. Ensuring ~2.5+.

One thing is for sure, everytime some blowhard stemlord tells you about thermodynamics or the glory of the atom you know the worlds gonna ignore that guy.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

MightyBigMinus posted:

One thing is for sure, everytime some blowhard stemlord tells you about thermodynamics or the glory of the atom you know the worlds gonna ignore that guy.
You're really aggressively stupid and anti-scientific whenever you post about this stuff. Your last CC thread freakout was about your love of hydrogen storage, and yet you're going on about stemlords and their thermodynamics and their dumb pie-in-the-sky solutions?

cat botherer has issued a correction as of 18:07 on May 7, 2023

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Cromulent_Chill posted:

They would, China is the only country I can see able to build nuclear plants as the rest of the world devolves into the last bastions of grift. I don't think China would just do it on their own, the biosphere collapse led destabilization other countries will not affect them as harshly due to their aggressive development. In the west the only way to sell carbon capture is if the energy generation is a profit source for O&G.

Edit: also the above that I did not consider.
China is actually turbofucked because of the looming water crisis there.

https://www.lowyinstitute.org/the-interpreter/water-scarcity-challenges-china-s-development-model

Dystopia Barbarian has issued a correction as of 20:10 on May 7, 2023

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

MightyBigMinus posted:

stupid people like you who got played by fossil fuel companies are why climate change is as severe as it is

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i assure you at no point has my opinion had any bearing on anything

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

cat botherer posted:

Yeah, pretending thermodynamics isn't real is key to the success direct air capture.

i wish i remembered enough thermodynamics to compute what the absolute minimum energy required for separating 420ppm out of air is based on entropy alone

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

MightyBigMinus posted:

appletv just recently blew truckloads of cash on having a lot of very concerned writers and celebrities try to tell stories about what it could be like and it turned into a muddled, confusing, almost spastic mess.

we literally can't articulate it right now.

the closest you can get is the first half of ministry for the future and then just spiritually 'mans search for meaning'.

this is disproportionately an american liberal problem because the culture is incapable of dealing with unsolvable predicaments. L'Effondrement, the water knife, american war, parable of the sower all articulate the midcentury experience well

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
even then if you let them come up with a magic solution like time travel or carbon capture, you can get stuff like the first act of interstellar, which is actually a pretty good take on the back half of the century

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

xi will fix it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wheeee posted:

stupid people like you who got played by fossil fuel companies are why climate change is as severe as it is

lol at blaming environmentalists for the failures of the nuclear industry. please don't pay attention to how we keep breaking nuclear reactors by cheaping out on maintenance. and deffo dont look at how much price gouging happens during nuclear construction. nope, it must be those evil hippies.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Reading Fathoms: The World in a Whale right now and im about 40% in but its really really eco doomer and well written. Mostly about how humans totally loving decimated the whale population by 99.7% in around 100 years and it goes some into how whales are basically their own carbon sinks and have a real affect on climate. But also the psychological implication of "why do we suddenly give a poo poo after we murdered them this hard" and the psychology of caring about endangered species.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

i wish i remembered enough thermodynamics to compute what the absolute minimum energy required for separating 420ppm out of air is based on entropy alone

well, using existing technologies we're doing between .1 and .25 Mtoe/MtCO2.

no i will not be converting between million tones of oil equivalent and a useful unit. :v:

https://www.iea.org/data-and-statistics/charts/specific-energy-consumption-for-co2-capture-using-current-dac-technologies

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

your link won’t work unless you remove the trailing .

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/05/yet-another-problem-with-recycling-it-spews-microplastics/

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Brain Curry posted:

your link won’t work unless you remove the trailing .

Thanks, fixed

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

it's the recycling that's the problem

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

we would also no longer need to worry about letting our pet cats roam outside and being constantly harassed for it because they kill "millions of birds each year" or whatever the gently caress

kill millions of whats?
-cat owners in five years

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Don't worry, they'll just harvest the needed water Fremen-style. >.>

Yawn. Call me when we get to femtoplastics. I want plastics so small that they can start incorporating themselves into DNA chains.

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 00:29 on May 8, 2023

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Wheeee posted:

nuclear plants generate a lot of waste heat, which is manageable when you’re only building a handful for power generation but would become an issue if you wanted to begin mass producing them to power carbon capture

which is just :psyduck: to me

i love capture plants they're so ridiculously pointless

you have to build a power plant to power them and the combo is barely net-negative if you cook the books in favor enough

OR

you could build a nuclear plant and tear down a coal plant

naturally...

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Harik posted:

which is just :psyduck: to me

i love capture plants they're so ridiculously pointless

you have to build a power plant to power them and the combo is barely net-negative if you cook the books in favor enough

OR

you could build a nuclear plant and tear down a coal plant

naturally...

well the point of CCS on a fossil fuel grid is the sell more fossil fuels. we're talking 2-3x coal or natural gas burned to do CCS on a plant and still make the same amount electricity with it. that's a lot of extra sales if you're a fossil fuel company.

but it is also true that because we hosed poo poo up so bad, even if we have a zero-carbon nuclear/renewables/fusion/human economy, that won't be enough. we've past the point where just stopping is enough, we will have to actively work to reduce the ongoing negative effects, and that's where CDR comes in as one of the many ways we will have to clean up our mess for centuries to come.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

but it is also true that because we hosed poo poo up so bad, even if we have a zero-carbon nuclear/renewables/fusion/human economy, that won't be enough. we've past the point where just stopping is enough, we will have to actively work to reduce the ongoing negative effects, and that's where CDR comes in as one of the many ways we will have to clean up our mess for centuries to come.

Maybe it would be more marketable as "Terraforming Earth." A grand space age adventure, right in our backyard!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

clean up our mess for centuries to come.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
We already terraformed though. You want us to just UNDO all that work?!