Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

teen witch posted:

Can someone explain why it takes so long for my work MBA M1 to loving revive from a battery drain. I’m on day *two* for something my 2017 MBP can sort in like maybe 30 min if need be. It should not take this long for a laptop to revive, or at least show me an indication of progress outside of 🪫⚡️.

I normally have it charging as I WFH, but I went into the office on Friday, and looks like the battery died on my way home. It’s 2PM Sunday and I still have gently caress all. OEM charger and I tested it with my Switch, the charger works and the Switch’s charger is recognized by the MBA, albeit it’s charging slowly. I can reset the NVRAM (or press the key combo) to see that yes, the screen is on and that’s not busted, but that’s literally it. I’m so loving fed up with this model. The previous one I had for work had an issue with the screen, lean it slightly too far back surprise restart!

I’m keeping an eye out for a new MBP, but christ dealing with my work MBA has left an intensely bitter taste in my mouth. I don’t understand the logic of “maybe you’re laptop is charging maybe not lol”.

E: oh gently caress *finally* working. Weird that it finally came back on after 30-40 min with my Switch Charger and outright refusing with the charger it came with? I think the issue is with the charger?? It works normally outside of that? apple please I’m begging you fix out your power issues I shouldn’t be yearning for the days of burning through MagSafe chargers every year.

You're charging it wrong (the switch charger outputs less than half the power of the MBA charger you should be using)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

FCKGW posted:

You're charging it wrong (the switch charger outputs less than half the power of the MBA charger you should be using)

I know that, but it seems to be the Switch charger, and not the MBA charger, reviving the laptop quicker. Thats where the confusion stems from.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FCKGW posted:

The Switch charger actually does 39W (2.6 amps at 15V), and Macbook Air Chargers are 30W, or 35W if you chose the paid upgrade: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201700.

Don't ask me why. I mostly charge my Macbook Air mostly off of 5V cell phone chargers.

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007
How many times have you run this poor thing all the way down? What's your battery health looking like?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Brian Worms posted:

How many times have you run this poor thing all the way down? What's your battery health looking like?

As this is a work laptop, I’ve hit this situation maybe 4-5 times since I’ve had it last summer. Someone else had the laptop prior to myself for about a year, they had left the company which is when I got it. No idea how they took care of it.

Anyway, according to system preferences, max capacity 95%, condition “normal”.

Twerk from Home posted:

The Switch charger actually does 39W (2.6 amps at 15V), and Macbook Air Chargers are 30W, or 35W if you chose the paid upgrade: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201700.

Don't ask me why. I mostly charge my Macbook Air mostly off of 5V cell phone chargers.

Oh poo poo, how about that, weird!

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
So I just ordered a MacBook Air with AppleCare and was billed for both at once, but like two days later it looks like I was billed for AppleCare again. Has this happened to anyone else? Do I need to call them Monday to sort it out?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

You can get a usb c charging cable with a wattage meter display built into it for like $10 on Amazon. It’s always interesting seeing what wattage my devices use, and may help with some charging troubleshooting.

https://a.co/d/inaTtg3

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Corb3t posted:

You can get a usb c charging cable with a wattage meter display built into it for like $10 on Amazon. It’s always interesting seeing what wattage my devices use, and may help with some charging troubleshooting.

https://a.co/d/inaTtg3

Oh wow this may actually help with a totally unrelated issue as well! Thanks!

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Hasturtium posted:

So I just ordered a MacBook Air with AppleCare and was billed for both at once, but like two days later it looks like I was billed for AppleCare again. Has this happened to anyone else? Do I need to call them Monday to sort it out?

Since it's not allowed to do LMGTFY here and it's assumed instead that people have googled before wasting anyone's time, I'm sure you've already seen the following:

quote:

I had the same issue. I just found out that second apple care charge was not a transaction, but an authorization. Apple did this because iPhone is a physical product whereas Applecare is a service, and they need to be booked separately. So there was no double charge. Just in case, double check with the bank to make sure :D

So, since this obviously can't be the case, I suggest you contact Apple, yes.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Noted: refurb 2023 models (14 / 16-inch M2 MBPs) have hit the Apple Refurb store.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I find myself still astounded when I see posts that amount to "my device acts like it's broken, why would (company) make a device that acts like it's broken" without the poster realizing that, just maybe, the device is broken.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol dumpster find today: perfect condition 30" Cinema Display with the power brick and its the silent update brighter backlight model. Works fine no dead pixel no screen blemishes body is like A- grade. I guess this is considered trash now.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol dumpster find today: perfect condition 30" Cinema Display with the power brick and its the silent update brighter backlight model. Works fine no dead pixel no screen blemishes body is like A- grade. I guess this is considered trash now.

lol what the gently caress, drat

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Awesome

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It'll go nicely with my other 20" Cinema Display dumpster pickup but that has some screen blems. I also have a 27" cinema bought used back in 2017. That's like all of the 'classic' aluminum ones. I even thought about buying a 23" transparent plastic one back in 2013.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Where the hell are you finding these dumpsters?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Warbird posted:

Where the hell are you finding these dumpsters?

I live in LA. Work for big movie company. Movie company ewaste dumpster. It's not even stuff that's being sold to a recycler. They put it out in a corner to be picked up as trash uncovered. poo poo gets rained on. I got the 30" display 1 day before it would have gotten rained on.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I saw a PVM next to a dumpster once but I was riding my bike and couldn’t pick it up and when I went back it was gone. It haunts me to this day

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

hatty posted:

I saw a PVM next to a dumpster once but I was riding my bike and couldn’t pick it up and when I went back it was gone. It haunts me to this day

CRT PVM right? Well at least it wasn't a BVM. I swear I think my company wasted some CRT and LCD BVMs and I just didn't see it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Shaocaholica posted:

I live in LA. Work for big movie company. Movie company ewaste dumpster. It's not even stuff that's being sold to a recycler. They put it out in a corner to be picked up as trash uncovered. poo poo gets rained on. I got the 30" display 1 day before it would have gotten rained on.

Oh I mean yeah. Not quite "being picked up as trash" I assume but I get what you mean. E-waste collection services often do not care about condition though so having them collected in a space that is uncovered from weather is unsurprising. Having a working electronic device will occasionally bring higher value so it's not like they don't care at all, but things they get are usually damaged anyway.

A specific e-waste collection area will definitely have much higher grade finds than any actual "dumpster". In my city e-waste collection sites aren't a free for all, there are very specific small number of hours and people there making sure nobody's taking stuff. At a private company where you can take stuff, I bet will regularly have some nice finds. Lots of stuff isn't worth it to send to an auction vendor or anybody so it will be e-wasted.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I work in ewaste and yeah you’d be floored what gets recycled. Mostly it’s companies who don’t give a poo poo about the devices themselves and it’s just at the end of its lifecycle or whatever and it’s time to go

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mark Gurman at Bloomberg is at it again, in his new PowerOn newsletter he's chatting up the M3 chip, which according to some developers appears to be in testing at Apple.

Gurman posted:

So what does the M3 look like? Well, at least one version in testing has 12 CPU cores, 18 graphics cores and 36 gigabytes of memory. That’s according to data collected by an App Store developer and shared with Power On. The CPU, the chip’s main processor, is made up of six high-performance cores that handle the most intensive tasks and six efficiency cores that kick in for operations that need less power.

The chip itself in this particular test is running in a future high-end MacBook Pro with the upcoming macOS 14.0 and likely is the base-level version of what will be the M3 Pro coming next year.

Here’s how that would compare with the entry-level M1 Pro and M2 Pro:

M1 Pro (released October 2021):
Eight CPU cores (six high-performance cores/two power-efficient cores)
14 graphics cores
32GB of memory

M2 Pro (January 2023):
10 CPU cores (six high-performance cores/four power-efficient cores)
16 graphics cores
32GB of memory

M3 Pro (in testing):
12 CPU cores (six high-performance cores/six power-efficient cores)
18 graphics cores
36GB of memory

It aint coming out in any machines until the end of 2023, more likely 2024

Wonder if they'll be able to fit on a dedicated ray tracing unit to the GPU...

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is AS any good for (high end) gaming/realtime rendering? Seems like a catch-22 where the paper specs look good but there's no high end games(engines) to make any real world conclusions...

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It emulates Saturn games really well, that used to be high end!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Shaocaholica posted:

Is AS any good for (high end) gaming/realtime rendering? Seems like a catch-22 where the paper specs look good but there's no high end games(engines) to make any real world conclusions...

this is exactly the problem. we don't know. most of the numbers are there, but nothing proving it.

that's not a catch-22 tho! it's an easy problem, Apple needs to create some sort of support for Vulkan, or lure developers to create that shimmy layer for them

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I think Epic updated UE5 recently to be pretty smooth on AS. Either it was a beta thing or maybe part of 5.2. That miiiight just have been the editor being optimized, but that's pretty cool anyway.
Blender and Maya both also recently got updated. A mini would probably be a good choice for budget student or tiny indie dev work atm, for example.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Lady Radia posted:

this is exactly the problem. we don't know. most of the numbers are there, but nothing proving it.

that's not a catch-22 tho! it's an easy problem, Apple needs to create some sort of support for Vulkan, or lure developers to create that shimmy layer for them

Forgive me on the last point, but isn’t MoltenVK already that shim solution? I’d imagine it needs a refresh to accommodate the new version of Metal if it isn’t already getting it. But beyond that, if Apple wanted Vulkan to have seamless support, the onus is on them, and they haven’t budged. WebGPU is getting a lot of accolades - I just hope it actually gains some momentum.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Any recommendations for a usb-c mouse that is durable, good for gaming, and preferably not too expensive? I am thinking usb-c is better than wireless for me because it wouldn’t need batteries (or charging) and is much cheaper. Are these assumptions correct?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

nelson posted:

Any recommendations for a usb-c mouse that is durable, good for gaming, and preferably not too expensive? I am thinking usb-c is better than wireless for me because it wouldn’t need batteries (or charging) and is much cheaper. Are these assumptions correct?

Glorious Gaming mice or any Logitech "gaming" mouse.

e: not sure if they are usb-c, but should be easy enough to get an adapter. Also, Logitech "Lightspeed" mice have insanely long battery life. Like, on the order of weeks or months.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Kibner posted:

Glorious Gaming mice or any Logitech "gaming" mouse.

e: not sure if they are usb-c, but should be easy enough to get an adapter. Also, Logitech "Lightspeed" mice have insanely long battery life. Like, on the order of weeks or months.

Is lightspeed bluetooth or something else?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

nelson posted:

What are your thoughts on leather?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Seems kinda lame to have all this presumably powerful hardware and the only real use it gets is via translation layers that rob it of ~50% of its native performance? AS GPU relegated to basically GPGPU tasks for its useable lifespan?

edit: I guess we'll see a bunch of native 3D engines running on AS when the headset comes out...Or big lol if even the premiere stuff running on the headset is running sub-optimal on translations layers

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 16, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

nelson posted:

Is lightspeed bluetooth or something else?

It’s high performance wireless with a dongle. you would need a USB type A port or adapter though - unless newer models have moved to USB C I haven’t looked in a while. There’s also a Logitech mousing surface you can get that acts as both a receiver and a wireless charging mat for certain models of Logitech mouse - you plug the mousing surface into the compute via a nice braided cable. Solves your charging annoyance; though as said they last ages.

Bluetooth doesn’t have the performance for gaming grade mice; though it’s fine if you’re not gaming.

Comedy option - https://lunarartefacts.com/collections/pointer-instruments/products/pointer-instruments-classic-brown

It also doubles as a work of art. (I kinda want one)

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Hasturtium posted:

Forgive me on the last point, but isn’t MoltenVK already that shim solution? I’d imagine it needs a refresh to accommodate the new version of Metal if it isn’t already getting it. But beyond that, if Apple wanted Vulkan to have seamless support, the onus is on them, and they haven’t budged. WebGPU is getting a lot of accolades - I just hope it actually gains some momentum.

No worries on forgiving bc that’s exactly what I was thinking of - MoltenVK is just not enough on its own without investment from Apple to convince companies to use it, let alone Apple helping fund development needed to keep performance on par.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They would likely need to built it into a system wide compatibility layer like Proton for Linux, basically what Crossover does but without the part where they want $60 a year for the priviledge. There's been people asking the Proton devs for a macOS version using MoltenVK for a while as it is since the AS GPUs are extremely capable when there's a game that can actually put it to work.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I guess Apple will try to woo devs/studios into native metal apps with the headset.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Where is a good place to pick up a refurbished Macbook pro? Looking for an m1/m2 in 13" or 14" with at least 16gb of ram and 1tb of storage. I'd also like to avoid a touch bar if possible.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Head Bee Guy posted:

Where is a good place to pick up a refurbished Macbook pro? Looking for an m1/m2 in 13" or 14" with at least 16gb of ram and 1tb of storage. I'd also like to avoid a touch bar if possible.

apples refurb store at the bottom of their page

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm considering a Mac Mini to slot on my desk initially for access to Xcode (possibly other dev work if I get along with macOS enough...), but can someone shed some light on the display output situation for me please?

I've got a 4K 165Hz display that my current PC uses via DisplayPort. If I have a peak at the Mac Mini tech specs it can do:
- M2 HDMI: 4K @ 60
- M2 Pro HDMI: 4K @ 165 (says it can go up to 240 right?)

What can you get out of the M2 and M2 Pro do with a Thunderbolt => DisplayPort adaptor? It just says:

quote:

Thunderbolt 4 digital video output
Support for native DisplayPort output over USB‑C

If I google around for DisplayPort over USB-C I pretty consistently end up with a max of 4K @60Hz, is that the correct?

Also related, am I going to have issues if I need to do scaling in macOS? When I use Windows I usually do 150% scaling, on Gnome/Linux it's sort of a PITA because there is no decent fractional scaling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Xik posted:

I'm considering a Mac Mini to slot on my desk initially for access to Xcode (possibly other dev work if I get along with macOS enough...), but can someone shed some light on the display output situation for me please?

I've got a 4K 165Hz display that my current PC uses via DisplayPort. If I have a peak at the Mac Mini tech specs it can do:
- M2 HDMI: 4K @ 60
- M2 Pro HDMI: 4K @ 165 (says it can go up to 240 right?)

What can you get out of the M2 and M2 Pro do with a Thunderbolt => DisplayPort adaptor? It just says:

If I google around for DisplayPort over USB-C I pretty consistently end up with a max of 4K @60Hz, is that the correct?

Also related, am I going to have issues if I need to do scaling in macOS? When I use Windows I usually do 150% scaling, on Gnome/Linux it's sort of a PITA because there is no decent fractional scaling.

4K@60Hz means the adapter is DisplayPort 1.2, the cheapest current one. You want a 1.3 or 1.4 to go further than that but the price will increase significantly(also check your display if it does support it, lot of monitors stops at 1.2 Edit: Your display supports 1.4 https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/7c1f2c7c).

This one does the trick if you want it hardwired https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2470/usb_type_c_cable_to_dp_1.4_8k60hz_m-m_1.8m-5.9ft/ or this if you want to reuse your cables https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2487/usb_type_c_to_displayport_1.4_8k60hz_hbr3_active_adapter/

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 30, 2023