Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Fallout New Vegas was a bad game because I couldn't go north from the starting point to reach my modded in house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Alaois posted:

i'm not playing a mage

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
play a mage loser

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
rogue or bust

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

play a mage loser

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
for every mage you don't play, I will play two

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
... mage in morrowind?

you just put magic in souls in items or eat potions. casting spells is kinda rare. the tutorial mage being a dumbass corpse in a dumb hat kinda hints at whats up imo

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

morrowind with decent-speed regenerating mana is quite fun, it lets you play a blaster mage without having to also roleplay jeffrey by sleeping constantly to restore mana

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
spellcasting is so broken and insane in morrowind it will literally infuriate you when you remember how bad magic is from oblivion onward

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
i really liked how you could make yourself so strong you couldn't use weapons bc they'd break in one swing

also stacking the compounding +potionmaking skill potions

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

fun hater posted:

spellcasting is so broken and insane in morrowind it will literally infuriate you when you remember how bad magic is from oblivion onward

the alchemy, restoration, enchanting cycle from skyrim breaks the game with overflow errors but it's not anywhere near as fun or interesting.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I had a good time in Skyrim just crafting gear that would let me shoot lightning indefinitely, which I'm sure is pedestrian by Elder Scrolls standards, but I am easily entertained and glad of it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Alaois posted:

okay but why did he write Annah to be 17

Hey all I said is that his characters aren't actually supposed to always be right, he's still a creepy nerd in a field inundated with creepy nerds :v:

E: Mage is the best way to play morrowind because you can just do reality bending poo poo to yourself for funsies and then play however you want from then on because you buffed your strength and lockpicking to 3000 or whatever. Not using magic in Morrowind is criminal that game lets you do so many dumb things with its spell creation

FirstnameLastname posted:

i really liked how you could make yourself so strong you couldn't use weapons bc they'd break in one swing

also stacking the compounding +potionmaking skill potions

The first time I hit something with sunder I broke it and it was hilarious

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 8, 2023

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cranappleberry posted:

the alchemy, restoration, enchanting cycle from skyrim breaks the game with overflow errors but it's not anywhere near as fun or interesting.

morrowind had the same thing where you made a potion that increased your int, which passively improved your alchemy, and then you just repeated ad nauseum

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Cranappleberry posted:

rogue or bust

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Full on destruction fireball mage in Skyrim with upped difficulty/difficulty mods kicks rear end because it turns into some bizarre high movement FPS but your guns suck.

Morrowind magic really was great though.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
in morrowind you could make a ball of magic death that enveloped not only the corner club but a good chunk of balmora. not sure what the actual size cap on the aoe portion of spells was, but it was loving big.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Cuttlefush posted:

in morrowind you could make a ball of magic death that enveloped not only the corner club but a good chunk of balmora. not sure what the actual size cap on the aoe portion of spells was, but it was loving big.

You could theoretically make a spell capable of enveloping vivec but it would only actually hit things in whatever your current cell was

But you could also just make a much higher damage and "smaller" aoe cell nuker and just murder everything within a couple hundred feet around you with impunity

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
smells like int in here

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Play a mage in video games, but play a martial in Tabletops

What's better?

"I'm going to read 200 pages of spell books so that no-one but me gets to play the game"

or

"I'm going to kick down doors while everyone groans at my dick punching based puns."

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Play a paladin so you can say “m’lady” unironically and everyone will hate you

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Frank Frank posted:

Play a paladin so you can say “m’lady” unironically and everyone will hate you

TIL way too many ppl I have played TTRPGs with are apparently IRL Paladins

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
wanting to always play a paladin is a red flag imo

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
paladins are gay (bad)

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

paladins are gay (bad)

Be a Father Merrin paladin who is an annoying evangelist when the party is together but secretly has lost his faith and is just drunk all the time. See how long it takes them to catch on

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
paladins are cool. no one who watched the green knight and appreciated dev patel’s seminal performance in it could disagree

most dnd paladins are admittedly insanely lame

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

Play a mage in video games, but play a martial in Tabletops

What's better?

"I'm going to read 200 pages of spell books so that no-one but me gets to play the game"

or

"I'm going to kick down doors while everyone groans at my dick punching based puns."

My best move as a tabletop DM is telling people to expect to have to say a One-Liner if they get a critical in combat. A lot of time people don’t have a good one ready and drop something bad, but sometimes they have a great pun or some poo poo. Either way it’s fun for everyone*.

*Definitely player group dependent.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I beat AvP 2000 again on directors cut and it was great

And then I played AvP 2010 and it kinda stank

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Paladins are extremely cool, but cursed af when someone wants to be a cop at your table.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
avp 2000 rules never beat the bonus levels you can unlock but i reinstall it and play through the regular levels every year... marine ftw

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

CelticPredator posted:

I beat AvP 2000 again on directors cut and it was great

And then I played AvP 2010 and it kinda stank

Every so often i try to see if I can figure out how to play AvP on Lynx. I never succeed. It might not even be playable! IDK. The mystery is fun.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have always wanted to play a paladin but like with some kind of Arabic flair and a cool scimitar instead of a broadsword or something

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

wanting to always play a paladin is a red flag imo

my brother liked to play a paladin in diablo 2 when we were growing up and i always found that troubling

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

playing a paladin as a dude losing his faith and being tempted into becoming a necromancer by ancient texts was the most fun experience I've had at the table.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

nrook posted:

paladins are cool. no one who watched the green knight and appreciated dev patel’s seminal performance in it could disagree

most dnd paladins are admittedly insanely lame

5th edition at least lets you be a paladin without being either Lawful or Good.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lobster shirt posted:

my brother liked to play a paladin in diablo 2 when we were growing up and i always found that troubling

barbarian is right there smh

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Famethrowa posted:

playing a paladin as a dude losing his faith and being tempted into becoming a necromancer by ancient texts was the most fun experience I've had at the table.

The reverse Cecil.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

barbarian is right there smh

precisely

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

excited for Baldur's Gate 3 specifically for being either a mage or a paladin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

lobster shirt posted:

Hammerdins were crazy good