Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It needs a hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

wesleywillis posted:

Its like meat spin, but uhhhhh needle spin.

So after so many spins, does it say "GM Owner Spotted", or "You are a total needle junkie"?

Meatspin would pop "You're officially gay" or something like that after you watched the spin too many times.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
idk why i keep finding pics of these things but

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Superdutydutyduty

Right thread. Still can't haul poo poo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Is there any reason to do this besides "bigger truck than you"?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
No because the frame is still the limit at ~14k gvr

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
is it my imagination, or is it articulating on that curb not with suspension travel but with frame flexing?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Raluek posted:

is it my imagination, or is it articulating on that curb not with suspension travel but with frame flexing?

This is how I see it as well.

And as our resident frame bender put it...

cursedshitbox posted:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Super doody.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

wesleywillis posted:

Super doody.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Raluek posted:

Looks that way with the wheel gaps and wrinkled up bed.

Maybe they put a hinged frame on it :laffo:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

cursedshitbox posted:

I don't think that frame has the full factory warranted strength anymore.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Elviscat posted:

It's 2 frames welded together end to end. That means it's double the strength.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Powershift posted:

It also has twice the wheels and axles, math checks out.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Everything associated with towing in the US scares me to death.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Powershift posted:

This video is 25 min long. You won't need but 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ItPxPOZs08

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

I may or may not have slightly ruined a work van by putting a ton and a half of concrete bags near the doors because I was too lazy to move them further into the van where the weight is supposed to be

I mean, the doors still closed fine, so it can't have bent that bad...

My all time dumbest automotive act was carrying 2000 lbs of bagged gravel in a 45HP '81 rabbit pickup that weighed less than that

it was fine I was just going two miles straight from the store back to my house on the same flat straight road so I just had to spend the first 1/2 mile accelerating to 25mph and the last mile and a half trying to stop

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 7, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

shame on an IGA posted:

My all time dumbest automotive act was carrying 2000 lbs of bagged gravel in a 45HP '81 rabbit pickup that weighed less than that

it was fine I was just going two miles straight from the store back to my house on the same flat straight road so I just had to spend the first 1/2 mile accelerating to 25mph and the last mile and a half trying to stop

At least you didn't have to contend with hop ons.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

madeintaipei posted:

gahhh so many lovely trailers out there

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

First gen heat treated frame. Probably welded on. Visible deflection. That poo poo is too heavy as it sits right there in the parking lot.

E:

madeintaipei posted:

Had a sec to watch this. What in the gently caress. :catstare: :catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

The wood is least wrong thing there.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 8, 2023

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

madeintaipei posted:

some of the recommended videos that youtube's algorithm spat out at the end continued to feature this truck, so i guess he did end up working on it after all. i dare not click, because im sure i would spend my entire day watching videos about trucks, lol

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Holy poo poo the welds are some scary bunged up cheese, the suspension has multiple cracks and holes, the bumper is literally just a tacked on piece of tube stock.

You keep watching and more and more comes out that makes you go what the gently caress. Including bolts that have inches of washers on them for reasons I don't comprehend

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I really wish non commercial drivers would get the same fines as commercial drivers do whenthey're driving unsafe piles of poo poo.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Is that a 2X4 of wood in between the frame and tank support?

I know nothing about trucks like that so is that normal or something? Seems crazy but I suppose it could absorb shock or something idk

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

namlosh posted:

I know nothing about trucks like that so is that normal or something?

No.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Holy poo poo, If I were to have shown those welds to my instructors as a finished piece, I honestly think they would have kicked me out of the building. It strains belief that a professional diesel mechanic looked at the crime he had just committed and said, "looks right to me"

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Knowing nothing about air suspension even k could look at that lift axle and go wtf is that

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

namlosh posted:

Is that a 2X4 of wood in between the frame and tank support?

I know nothing about trucks like that so is that normal or something? Seems crazy but I suppose it could absorb shock or something idk

I drive various straight trucks with enclosed boxes on the back at my work. There is wood (not 2x4s) between the frame rails of the truck and the bottom frame rails of the box. There are no gaps. between the two

I don't know if thats typical or not typical for tank trucks, but based on the 10ish trucks that my company has or has had over the last several years, its normal for box trucks.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

madeintaipei posted:

I may be a liberal sissy who's never driven anything with more than two axles but that trailer is obviously hosed. Off center holes, stacks of washers taller than a roll of quarters, rust holes, gobs of weld, random wood being used for I dunno what, god almighty.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Holy gently caress. I wouldn't accept that kind of work on a shitbox Cavalier that I planned to drive to a junkyard.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I may be a liberal sissy who's never driven anything with more than two axles but that trailer is obviously hosed. Off center holes, stacks of washers taller than a roll of quarters, rust holes, gobs of weld, random wood being used for I dunno what, god almighty.

Oh. It's a truck, not a trailer. A 34,000lb capacity water tanker to be precise. The owner had a fleet mechanic do those mods who said their fleet's trucks were modified the same way. What that means, I don't want to know. It was only in J.C. Smith's place to get rear lights wired up!

That channel is actually kind of neat if you're into medium-duty trucks. Him and his wife do a lot of poo poo. Double frames, stretched frames, drop frames, dually and 4x4 conversions, a bunch of stuff. The videos are rather long, but they go into detail about what they are doing and why.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

madeintaipei posted:

I have driven a vast number of really broken vehicles and done bad temporary repairs to get home or out of the woods and I wouldn't drive a Ford ranger on the road if it was repaired that way. That is fuckin horrific and whoever did that shouldn't be allowed to touch tools, let alone CMVs. :tviv:

It would be simpler to swap the cab and drivetrain onto a new rolling chassis than it would be to unfuckulate that inbred fabricobbled disaster.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
yeah I got sucked in for a few it's interesting stuff

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

madeintaipei posted:

Oh. It's a truck, not a trailer. A 34,000lb capacity water tanker to be precise. The owner had a fleet mechanic do those mods who said their fleet's trucks were modified the same way. What that means, I don't want to know. It was only in J.C. Smith's place to get rear lights wired up!

Oh dear Christ in heaven.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the follow up video from last week reveals The Guy that did it spent 7 months on that abomination. The owner hadn't looked at it all that closely and OP was eventually able to convince him he was going to die if he went forward and it's back at his shop for the purpose of parting out the driveline because that frame is turbofucked

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaŕ

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
that's some fine tenon work on that 4x4

e; I wonder how many drywall screws are holding the plywood to the outside of the tailgate?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
No cotter pin holding the 4x4 in place, totally unroadworthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

re: some of the previous posts, wood is extremely strong in compression and I think using it to fill space in a big truck frame isn't automatically a terrible idea, provided the condition of the wood is monitored carefully, and it's encapsulated in such a way that it can't shear along the grain lines easily.

The structural wood shown in that horrific frame job and in this RV tow setup is uhhhh, not the right way to do it.