Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not if “chmod +w” on the file works, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Dropped my Steam deck when it slid off my bed and clattered on to the pergo flooring :stonk:. One side of the casing kind of split but popped back into place easily. So far everything works fine there's no rattling noise or button issues but it has me a little paranoid. Yes I got a protective case but no it didn't have it on that moment because the case prevents it from seating on the Steam dock properly so I swap it on and off depending what I'm doing most of the time.

Fortunately it seems like the thumb sticks provide a natural defense as when it falls screen side down the analog sticks keep the screen from hitting anything when it in inevitably falls that way, and they are rubber with a bit of give which provides some cushioning.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Steam Deck: On Linux this is fairly easy to solve, on Windows it's complicated

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Panfilo posted:

Dropped my Steam deck when it slid off my bed and clattered on to the pergo flooring :stonk:. One side of the casing kind of split but popped back into place easily. So far everything works fine there's no rattling noise or button issues but it has me a little paranoid. Yes I got a protective case but no it didn't have it on that moment because the case prevents it from seating on the Steam dock properly so I swap it on and off depending what I'm doing most of the time.

Fortunately it seems like the thumb sticks provide a natural defense as when it falls screen side down the analog sticks keep the screen from hitting anything when it in inevitably falls that way, and they are rubber with a bit of give which provides some cushioning.

This exact scenario happened to me a few months ago. Luckily just squeezing the case popped it back shut. No problem what so ever

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i used the same homedir on windows from vista until windows 10 days and it wasn't super annoying, but yeah on linux it's just "mount home partition, maybe run chown if uid changed"

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Panfilo posted:

Just make sure there's no steam coming off it and it should be fine.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I spent like 20 years being a digital pack rat who could never ever bear to delete anything at all and then I got over it so now I have a few things I never want to lose backed up in a couple of places and then if I’m reinstalling my OS I’m just blowing the whole thing away because who gives a poo poo it’s just 1’s and 0’s

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

homeless snail posted:

Touch creates a file if it doesn't exist, is what I think you're seeing.

It creates an AI picture of Biggie Smalls as a marionette and my old Fire Emblem save files from last year? That's a very sophisticated command.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sounds like Linux, yeah

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

History Comes Inside! posted:

I spent like 20 years being a digital pack rat who could never ever bear to delete anything at all and then I got over it so now I have a few things I never want to lose backed up in a couple of places and then if I’m reinstalling my OS I’m just blowing the whole thing away because who gives a poo poo it’s just 1’s and 0’s

it's not so much being a rat pack (the profile was on the same 1tb disk the entire time), it's being able to nuke your windows install when it inevitably fucks itself up and have the same saved settings 30 seconds later by just logging into your old profile

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

hell yeah!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

You have to go business-end first because trying to go the other way makes it snag.

Hammer Bro. posted:

Truer words were never spoken.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Decided to start dumping a bunch of Dreamcast games to my deck as I sold off most of my physical collection, and I forgot just how loving good the 2K sports series were. Except for 2K's attempts at baseball, it's a damned shame EA has exclusivity for most sports games.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

I have both and I like the split pad pro. I don’t like how cheap the split pad pro feels though.

I’m on the Split Pad Pro gang and I’ll second liking it. The form factor and back buttons are nice, the size is about right to make the Switch almost Deck size but with the added benefit of the Pads+Switch being considerably lighter. I’m pretty hyped for Friday.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

I have both and I like the split pad pro. I don’t like how cheap the split pad pro feels though.

I picked my Switch back up last night after letting it collect dust for a year and just couldn't stand the way the Hori pads felt. I have a Satisfye grip coming this week.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m on the Split Pad Pro gang and I’ll second liking it. The form factor and back buttons are nice, the size is about right to make the Switch almost Deck size but with the added benefit of the Pads+Switch being considerably lighter. I’m pretty hyped for Friday.

Thirding the Split Pad Pro, though I would also love to give the Split Pad Compact a whirl sometime. Grip is less attractive to me as it would require using the joycons, and I've really come to like the Split Pad's joysticks and dpad.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Ignis posted:

Thirding the Split Pad Pro, though I would also love to give the Split Pad Compact a whirl sometime. Grip is less attractive to me as it would require using the joycons, and I've really come to like the Split Pad's joysticks and dpad.

The compacts were way more comfortable than the full split pad for me. I’ve got gorilla fists, but the kinda pointy bottom end of the full split pad would dig in to my palms a little sometimes, while the compacts are a lot more smooth and round. Pretty deck-like honestly.

I did get the satisfye too and I’m going back and forth on which is going to be more comfortable long term.

for comparison’s sake.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 8, 2023

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Vegastar posted:

The compacts were way more comfortable than the full split pad for me. I’ve got gorilla fists, but the kinda pointy bottom end of the full split pad would dig in to my palms a little sometimes, while the compacts are a lot more smooth and round. Pretty deck-like honestly.

I did get the satisfye too and I’m going back and forth on which is going to be more comfortable long term.

for comparison’s sake.

What do you actually clip into the Deck bra thing.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Fuzz posted:

What do you actually clip into the Deck bra thing.

Kickstand and microsd holding mostly, also have a little usb-c port replicator that I stuck one of the pucks on for bringing it out to friends places or whatever, then stuck one of the adapters to the other side for the kickstand, like this:

Fairly handy for bringing around for Jackbox games or some Ultimate Chicken Horse with friends.

It’s a neat little thing, honestly.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 8, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

sega stack lookin rear end handheld

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tiny Timbs posted:

sega stack lookin rear end handheld

The more things change the more they stay the same

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Mescal posted:

It creates an AI picture of Biggie Smalls as a marionette and my old Fire Emblem save files from last year? That's a very sophisticated command.

If you do it right

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Is plugging a keyboard and mouse into an official Dock as easy as plug and play, or is there anything more to it?

I would hope it is but I also still need to play switchboard operator to get it to properly connect to my TV so...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is plugging a keyboard and mouse into an official Dock as easy as plug and play, or is there anything more to it?

I would hope it is but I also still need to play switchboard operator to get it to properly connect to my TV so...

Plug and play

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

CuddleCryptid posted:

What's the problem you're having with connecting it to your TV?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

I can’t speak for them, but for a while I had to unplug my dock every time I wanted to use my deck with a tv. Hasn’t happened in a while though.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Oh wow, that's really surprising. I have a JSAUX dock that's always Just Worked, aside from a weird ARC issue that forced me to buy an adapter to block the CEC pins on the HDMI cable.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

Apparently it's an issue that some TVs have where in order to get anything other than static I have to unplug the power line into the dock, let it send a signal via HDMI to the TV off the Deck battery, and then plug in the power cord again.

Thank God for smart tvs that now have conflicting software, making the world so much more convenient over just putting whatever a cord put out on the screen.

E. Yeah same as Randolph. Did you find a way to fix it?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I've run into similar things. If you wrote a little util that cuts the signal to the TV and then starts it up again whenever you plug it in, that would fix at least the similar instances I was running into. Might be a bad idea for whatever reason, I dunno. Mine runs into these docked problems usually while idling.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
i also play peek a boo with my disassembled steam deck!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Drowning in tears as I wonder why I broke my Steam Deck down into its component parts to replace an SSD.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mescal posted:

I've run into similar things. If you wrote a little util that cuts the signal to the TV and then starts it up again whenever you plug it in, that would fix at least the similar instances I was running into. Might be a bad idea for whatever reason, I dunno. Mine runs into these docked problems usually while idling.

gently caress I DOWNLOADED A SCREWDRIVER AND IT'S JUST A PRINTOUT OF A SCREWDRIVER!

IM SO hosed!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

gently caress! All my Deck components are tilt shifted and now they don't lay flat on my table! I knew I should have bought first party!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

What it made me think of was "For gamers! Gamers love it!"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I had thought I played the Darkest Dungeon 2 demo in deck and it worked great, but trying it now it's really rough. Am I just hallucinating?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

I had thought I played the Darkest Dungeon 2 demo in deck and it worked great, but trying it now it's really rough. Am I just hallucinating?

That’s one of the new sanity loss effects

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

That’s one of the new sanity loss effects

My god they Frog Fractioned Eternal Darkness

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Started Cult of the Lamb yesterday. Runs great on deck, some fonts are really tiny though.
It is fun, but I suck at the management aspect. Cultists keep dying/disappearing and I can't seem to so anything against it as those options (prison) are still not unlocked.
It is not easy to find the balance between time spent fighting and time spent cultivating my followers.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Anyone play Tormented Souls on the deck? Protondb only has 2 posts about it and they contradict each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Paradoxish posted:

Okay, here's a request for a simultaneously really specific and really general game recommendation:

I'm looking for something that plays decently on the SD, that I can probably finish completely in no more than 20 hours, and that plays well in 5-15 minute bursts. Doesn't have to actually be a short form game, just something that's not bad to put down and pick up. I just recently finished playing through Dredge and that worked really well.

I have way too much downtime while I'm working or stuck in meetings that barely involve me and the SD has been loving awesome to keep me from going out of my mind, but a lot of that is just playing roguelikes and stuff like that. I'm looking for something more traditional that I can actually start, play through, and finish in those little moments of downtime. Don't care about genre, don't care if it's new or old, don't even care if it has good controller support since I like the trackpads, as long as it's something where the UI isn't unusable or annoying on the Deck's screen.

Dave the Diver!