Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

wesleywillis posted:

If people don't enlist in starfleet how the gently caress do they join?

Press gangs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Delsaber posted:

Press gangs.

"Congratulations! You just took the king's shilling! Welcome to Starfleet!"

"That doesn't make any sense! We don't use money, and we don't have kings!"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Snorb posted:

"we don't have kings!"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Buncha guys wake up from a drunken stupor on a space barge:

"What happened last night?"

Instructor:

"You all signed up for Star Fleet Academy! Get ready for five years of flying space fighters, sculpture class and long philosophical discussions!"

"Noooo!!"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

whenever you use the replicator, there's a small % chance you'll get forcibly enlisted into starfleet.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the transporter is much more convenient - if it makes a clone, the clone joins starfleet and you can freely go about the rest of your day

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

DS9 seemed to suggest that if you had any inclination for engineering you'd get enlisted into Star Fleet.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Eighties ZomCom posted:

DS9 seemed to suggest that if you had any inclination for engineering you'd get enlisted into Star Fleet.

You mean "signed on as an enlisted man," or "got 'enlisted,' possibly at phaser-point?"

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Yes
:v:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
COME ON YOU MAGGOTS, YOU WANT TO LIVE TO A RIPE OLD AGE IN COMFORT WHILE DOING YOUR HOBBY FULL-TIME SUCH AS ARCHEOLOGY OR ASTROPHYSICS

edit: LET ME SEE YOUR SCIENCE FACE

nerd: arrrgh

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
You ever just sit back and think about how silly the end of Star Trek VI from anything besides a “wow sweet space battle!” perspective?

The leaders of like two of the three super powers of this region of the Galaxy are meeting for a possible peace deal after being in a cold war for like a century and there isn’t a single other ship in orbit around Khitomer?

Then the rogue ship that had assassinated the previous chancellor of one of the two powers involved in this peace talk just like a few weeks ago shows up and the speeches continue without anyone being like “uh maybe we should get the VIPs to a safe room?”

And then elderly Scotty somehow kicks down a door and no heatitation mercs a Klingon.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

jeeves posted:

You ever just sit back and think about how silly the end of Star Trek VI from anything besides a “wow sweet space battle!” perspective?

The leaders of like two of the three super powers of this region of the Galaxy are meeting for a possible peace deal after being in a cold war for like a century and there isn’t a single other ship in orbit around Khitomer?

Then the rogue ship that had assassinated the previous chancellor of one of the two powers involved in this peace talk just like a few weeks ago shows up and the speeches continue without anyone being like “uh maybe we should get the VIPs to a safe room?”

Wasn't the peace summit supposed to be a secret, which is why the Enterprise literally has to ask where it's being held?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Technowolf posted:

Wasn't the peace summit supposed to be a secret, which is why the Enterprise literally has to ask where it's being held?

Yeah but even with it being a secret it’s like, why wasn’t anyone else there to defend it and also why does Sulu know?

It’s a real squint your brain ending that is really funny when you think about how little the Starfleet seemed to care for Red Foreman/Clarence’s safety as President of the Federation.

Edit - I guess like two evil admirals were in a plot to kill him there so maybe the lack of ships on Federation side could be hand waved away, but wouldn’t one think that as soon as the now-rogue Enterprise shows up it would at least raise a few alarms with the Klingons?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I thought General Chang's co-conspirators were talking care of that. The conspiracy had taken over the military duties of the conference on both sides.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

MikeJF posted:

I thought General Chang's co-conspirators were talking care of that. The conspiracy had taken over the military duties of the conference on both sides.

And they got the Romulans involved through Ambassador Nanclus!

It's a shame nobody mentions in-universe the irony of (elements of) the Federation, the Klingon Empire, and the Romulan Empire working together to prove the Federation and the Klingon Empire cannot work together.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jeeves posted:

Yeah but even with it being a secret it’s like, why wasn’t anyone else there to defend it and also why does Sulu know?

It’s a real squint your brain ending that is really funny when you think about how little the Starfleet seemed to care for Red Foreman/Clarence’s safety as President of the Federation.

Edit - I guess like two evil admirals were in a plot to kill him there so maybe the lack of ships on Federation side could be hand waved away, but wouldn’t one think that as soon as the now-rogue Enterprise shows up it would at least raise a few alarms with the Klingons?

The script doesn't make a lick of sense once you think about it for more than two seconds.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I finished Picard S3. The plot was weird but forgivable. I honestly rolled my eyes when they brought Borg back again because they just had them in S1 and can't seem to resist but I guess they kind of excused it. While it was a little contrived, having Geordi restoring the E-D in his garage was awesome. Even Raffi grew on me, when I thought she was just an annoying weirdo in S1 (didn't watch S2).

In short, the nostalgia trip of seeing that crew on that bridge was just like how seeing Maverick getting in an enemy F-14 and flying it around. And I thought that having that in Top Gun 36 years later was a blast.

Also, did Spiner have a stroke or something? In the "All Good Things" camera elevation poker shot he doesn't his arm or the right side of his body for the duration of that long shot.

edit: I do agree with everyone that the designation E-G feels pretty unearned, especially with them in the earlier episodes saying "this isn't the Enterprise, this ship [Titan] is overmatched"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Borg are also in Season 2, because a big part of the story is that they steal a Borg Queen from the altered bad timeline to go back into the past, and then she manages to almost assimilate a few people and tries to contact the Borg in the past so that they can assimilate Earth way before the Federation ever existed.

So yes, I was not really thrilled when the big plot they were teasing all season just turned out to be 'The Borg are back'

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Borg are also in Season 2, because a big part of the story is that they steal a Borg Queen from the altered bad timeline to go back into the past, and then she manages to almost assimilate a few people and tries to contact the Borg in the past so that they can assimilate Earth way before the Federation ever existed.

And she eats car batteries.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

davidspackage posted:

COME ON YOU MAGGOTS, YOU WANT TO LIVE TO A RIPE OLD AGE IN COMFORT WHILE DOING YOUR HOBBY FULL-TIME SUCH AS ARCHEOLOGY OR ASTROPHYSICS

edit: LET ME SEE YOUR SCIENCE FACE

nerd: arrrgh

SHOW ME YOUR SCIENCE FACE!

Nerrrrrrrr (pushes glasses up nose)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Bullshit! I bet you could reroute auxiliary power through some kind of spatula!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Only if it's a copper-ytterbium composite

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 7, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Borg in the past so that they can assimilate Earth way before the Federation ever existed.

Seems like I've heard of this before.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Watched 'A Night In Sickbay' for first time, I think that might be one of my favorite Enterprise episodes. I sped through it watching via "Best Episodes" lists but that was probably a mistake. The sexual tension between T'Pol/Archer actually being referenced was funny. It felt like there was always this T'Pol/Archer/Tucker 3-way tension going on without it being spoken about.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

knox posted:

Watched 'A Night In Sickbay' for first time, I think that might be one of my favorite Enterprise episodes. I sped through it watching via "Best Episodes" lists but that was probably a mistake. The sexual tension between T'Pol/Archer actually being referenced was funny. It felt like there was always this T'Pol/Archer/Tucker 3-way tension going on without it being spoken about.

It's been a while but isn't this typically remembered as one of the crappiest episodes of the series?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tighclops posted:

It's been a while but isn't this typically remembered as one of the crappiest episodes of the series?
Yes it's a weird one

I don't think it's too bad, after having rewatched it like a month ago, but it's not a good episode. Part of the problem is that Archer is probably the shittiest he ever gets towards T'Pol in this episode. Like there's no excuse whatsoever for his behavior. Then the Doctor essentially asks him 'Captain, is this because you haven't been able to get your rocks off'.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

Yes. A Night In Sickbay was basically the episode that killed Enterprise as a show. As in it broke the back of the viewership ratings and the people who were still sticking around watching the timeslot after Voyager ended basically all tapped out after it and just never came back.

Chuck Sonnenberg of SF Debris has done a couple of "scoreless" episode reviews for stuff like Family and 11:59 just because they were functionally impossible to review as Star Trek episodes, but I think A Night In Sickbay is the only episode out of everything he's reviewed across all of Star Trek that earned a straight 0/10.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Railing Kill posted:

SHOW ME YOUR SCIENCE FACE!

Nerrrrrrrr (pushes glasses up nose)

All I can think of is this https://youtu.be/4PDz3LzFcSo?t=38

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes it's a weird one

I don't think it's too bad, after having rewatched it like a month ago, but it's not a good episode. Part of the problem is that Archer is probably the shittiest he ever gets towards T'Pol in this episode. Like there's no excuse whatsoever for his behavior. Then the Doctor essentially asks him 'Captain, is this because you haven't been able to get your rocks off'.

Archer was frequently an Ugly American, but A Night in Sickbay is like the nadir of his Ugly Americanness (and that's counting the whole of season 3!). Phlox's idiocy can at least be handwaved a little because he comes from a more sexually liberal culture, but it really doesn't excuse the fact that the whole thing feels that Berman and Braga saying "Who wouldn't want to tap that, amiright fellas?"

Basically what I'm saying is justice for Jolene Blalock.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fighting Trousers posted:

Basically what I'm saying is justice for Jolene Blalock.

She could show up in SNW.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MikeJF posted:

She could show up in SNW.

That would actually be pretty dope, especially since Spock's brother was hinted at being an ongoing thing, she could easily have something to do with that.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes. A Night In Sickbay was basically the episode that killed Enterprise as a show. As in it broke the back of the viewership ratings and the people who were still sticking around watching the timeslot after Voyager ended basically all tapped out after it and just never came back.

Chuck Sonnenberg of SF Debris has done a couple of "scoreless" episode reviews for stuff like Family and 11:59 just because they were functionally impossible to review as Star Trek episodes, but I think A Night In Sickbay is the only episode out of everything he's reviewed across all of Star Trek that earned a straight 0/10.

That sounds about right, I can recall Berman or one of the writers giving an interview about it where they were all proud of themselves for doing " Three's Company in space" and being baffled that they thought that was something anybody wanted to see at the time

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

swickles posted:

That would actually be pretty dope, especially since Spock's brother was hinted at being an ongoing thing, she could easily have something to do with that.

T'Pring going "this is out of my control now, I have to bring in someone better suited to tracking down Sybok" and it turning out to be T'Pol would be fantastic, yes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Enterprise really suffers from Archer having to be the main character all the time, so even when other characters got the chance to have their own stories, it still often had to be done in terms of how that affects Archer.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

Might be a coin flip on most damaging episode of the show between it and S4's Daedalus

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tighclops posted:

Fondly remembering the TrekBBS days when it was “lovingly” referred to by its acronym - ANIS

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

T'Pol should've been the one to adopt Michael in Disco.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

She should show up in SNW and reminisce about the many decades of friendship she enjoyed with Trip.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Technowolf posted:

T'Pol should've been the one to adopt Michael in Disco.

That would have been so much better, yes.

MikeJF posted:

She should show up in SNW and reminisce about the many decades of "friends with benefits" she enjoyed with Trip.

Also yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

"You know, Spock, I once had a half-human-half-vulcan daughter too! Funny story, let me tell you about it..."