Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Civil War sucks because it’s not a true Cap 3, it’s Avengers 2.5. Iron Man 1, 2, & 3 might be a contender for some but I personally really dislike 3.

For my money, Guardians 1, 2, & 3 are easily the best Marvel trilogy both in terms of quality and in terms of the three movies being their own arc without relying on anything else in the wider MCU.

It’s probably also the best superhero trilogy period, depending on how you land on Dark Knight Rises. I think they’re about even, maybe a slight edge to Guardians just because Rises kinda flounders in the 3rd act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Batman 89-Returns-Forever is a solid trilogy about Bruce Wayne growing from a creepy weirdo that journalists don't even recognize to a civic leader who can accept help. You just have to ignore And Robin to get there.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't get why people say Cap 3 doesn't count. Yeah it has a bunch of guest stars, but the entire movie is still based around Cap and his loyalty to Bucky and stance against the Registration Act. It's still his movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's the upstage factor. I do still consider it a Cap film but making Iron Man so integral and then also introducing both Black Panther and Spider-Man as fake adversaries is pretty Avenger-y.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It ends with half his friends in prison and Steve being MCU Nomad. That is not where you end a Captain America story.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Inkspot posted:

It ends with half his friends in prison and Steve being MCU Nomad. That is not where you end a Captain America story.

The Iron Man trilogy ends with him throwing his arc reactor into the ocean, the Spider-Man trilogy ends with him remaking himself as his own hero and the Guardians trilogy ends with them moving on. The end of the Cap trilogy feels a lot less final than those.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Tony's a tricky one, though. He quietly renounces being Iron Man in Iron Man 3, and then he's back at it in Age of Ultron without any real explanation. Even if you shuffle around what happens during Phase 2, both Tony and Steve's arcs need the last two Avengers movies to actually feel complete. So... not trilogies. Sextologies? Septologies?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't get why people say Cap 3 doesn't count. Yeah it has a bunch of guest stars, but the entire movie is still based around Cap and his loyalty to Bucky and stance against the Registration Act. It's still his movie.

If you only watched the Cap movies and none of the other MCU stuff, you'd have zero idea what the hell is going on in CW

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Oh, hey, I just got it. Quill was right. It wasn’t a trap. It was a face off. Literally. :haw:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

God, I'm just thinking now about how good Chukwudi Iwuji is in this thing. The High Evolutionary is such a piece of poo poo.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This is why "trilogy" is an odd term in the MCU because normally when you're talking about stories a trilogy is just three stories that from one larger and complete story. But Cap's, Iron Man's, Thor's, and the Guardians' stories all have important plot and character moments in other movies and you're not getting the complete story without them. And Thor had four (plus more?)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

well, given that it stars every avenger except thor, introduces two new mcu characters, and the plot is literally zemo gets revenge on the avengers for what the avengers did in the previous avengers movie, and the big climax is avengers fighting avengers it sure feel like an avengers movie more than a cap specific one

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phylodox posted:

Oh, hey, I just got it. Quill was right. It wasn’t a trap. It was a face off. Literally. :haw:

My wife and I were both surprised that they didn't make it explicit by having him say anything.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

well, given that it stars every avenger except thor, introduces two new mcu characters, and the plot is literally zemo gets revenge on the avengers for what the avengers did in the previous avengers movie, and the big climax is avengers fighting avengers it sure feel like an avengers movie more than a cap specific one

The big climax is Cap and Bucky vs. Iron Man after Tony learns the truth about how his parents died.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that's the finale not the climax and ya know, is still part of "the death of the avengers" which is the plot

site fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 8, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arist posted:

God, I'm just thinking now about how good Chukwudi Iwuji is in this thing. The High Evolutionary is such a piece of poo poo.
If you haven't seen it already, he's great in Peacemaker on HBO Max

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Opopanax posted:

If you only watched the Cap movies and none of the other MCU stuff, you'd have zero idea what the hell is going on in CW
I dont think it introduced anything more complex than, say, the entire roster of the GotG from their first movie.

Yeah, the entire Sokovia Accords thing references AoU, but the inciting spark is Wanda's oopsie in Lagos. There's a guy they know that gets really small and says he can get big but its untested and kind of dangerous. Dont really need all of Ant-Man to get more from it aside from his history as a thief? Also the guy putting the plot in motion is a victim from AoU but you just need to know he lost his family because of supes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cap isn't anything outside of SHIELD or the Avengers. There's nothing else about him to go after.

Winter Soldier had the enemies target Fury and though by the end of the film Rogers could hold his head high, SHIELD was destroyed. With SHIELD gone, Civil War targeted the Avengers. By the end of the film Rogers can hold his head high, maybe not as much though, and the Avengers were ruined.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Scenes like Hawkeye breaking Wanda out and Tony threatening Nat take away from it being a Captain America movie.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

that's the finale not the climax and ya know, is still part of "the death of the avengers" which is the plot

Nah, I disagree. Tony is still on board with helping Cap even after the Avengers fight. The climax comes when Steve protects Bucky. "He's my friend." "So was I." That's where it happens. That's where we've now seen the footage in whole where before we just got snippets. That's when we learn Cap knew and never told Tony. That's when Tony decides he's going to kill Bucky even if he has to go through Steve to do it. The movie was about Steve sticking up for Bucky no matter what and it comes to a head here, where he has to give up everything to do so. And that's also where the death of the Avengers comes in if you want that to be the plot as well, since it is when Zemo's plan comes into fruition.

The airport fight is a playground fight where once someone actually gets hurt, it immediately stops. It's big spectacle, but it's not the movie's climax.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Arist posted:

I kinda hope parts of counter earth survived. It was a neat and very odd visual. HE rather casually destroyed what we could assume was close to six billion almost humans along with everything else on that planet. The movie kinda flips past that point in the "save everybody" ending.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Nah, I disagree. Tony is still on board with helping Cap even after the Avengers fight. The climax comes when Steve protects Bucky. "He's my friend." "So was I." That's where it happens. That's where we've now seen the footage in whole where before we just got snippets. That's when we learn Cap knew and never told Tony. That's when Tony decides he's going to kill Bucky even if he has to go through Steve to do it. The movie was about Steve sticking up for Bucky no matter what and it comes to a head here, where he has to give up everything to do so. And that's also where the death of the Avengers comes in if you want that to be the plot as well, since it is when Zemo's plan comes into fruition.

The airport fight is a playground fight where once someone actually gets hurt, it immediately stops. It's big spectacle, but it's not the movie's climax.

the airport sequence has the sokovia accords now in place and is an outrageously public battle between the avengers destroying a huge amount of public property, in addition to the stomping the poo poo out of each other. rhodey is paralyzed. even without tony and steve there the two factions are now completely split. the avengers are done at that point. steve and tony fighting it out at the end is the nail in the coffin, but even tony decided not to fight and go after zemo instead there's no way you could recover the avengers as idea to the public or even to the other team members

site fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 8, 2023

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

the airport sequence has the sokovia accords now in place and is an outrageously public battle between the avengers destroying a huge amount of public property, in addition to the stomping the poo poo out of each other. rhodey is paralyzed. even without tony and steve there the two factions are now completely split. the avengers are done at that point. steve and tony fighting it out at the end is the nail in the coffin, but even tony decided not to fight and go after zemo instead there's no way you could recover the avengers as idea to the public or even to the other team members

Tony and Cap are still working with each other after the battle once Tony learns that Bucky was set up. Tony goes to help Cap in what he thinks is saving the world. The Avengers certainly aren't done after that fight. They're done when Tony decides he's going to kill Bucky as revenge for killing his parents and Steve fights him to prevent that.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Tony went to help Cap but everyone he put in prison hated his guts.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Tony and Cap are still working with each other after the battle once Tony learns that Bucky was set up. Tony goes to help Cap in what he thinks is saving the world. The Avengers certainly aren't done after that fight. They're done when Tony decides he's going to kill Bucky as revenge for killing his parents and Steve fights him to prevent that.

well they destroyed an airport fighting each other, half the team are international criminals, and one paralyzed another. do you really think the gang would have just gotten back together no problem after the airport fight if tony had said everything's cool? do you think the world would have let them?

like i know we're desensitized from years of hero vs hero comics, but how exactly do you see that playing out

site fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 8, 2023

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Darth Brooks posted:

I kinda hope parts of counter earth survived. It was a neat and very odd visual. HE rather casually destroyed what we could assume was close to six billion almost humans along with everything else on that planet. The movie kinda flips past that point in the "save everybody" ending.

I was half expecting them to tell Rocket about Counter-Earth as the movie was wrapping up, at which point he blows a fuse about not killing him

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

site posted:

well they destroyed an airport fighting each other, half the team are international criminals, and one paralyzed another. do you really think the gang would have just gotten back together no problem after the airport fight if tony had said everything's cool? do you think the world would have let them?

The guys in prison helped Tony find Steve so the film certainly thinks things weren't completely ruptured until after Zemo revealed the truth.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
one guy, Sam, because Tony promised to bail his best friend out from an ambush. a long way from Sam forgiving Tony, or anyone being in the forgiving mood for that matter, the UN releasing anyone from super prison and letting them be avengers again, or public opinion returning to their favor

site fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 8, 2023

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

site posted:

one guy, Sam, because Tony promised to bail his best friend out from an ambush. a long way from Sam forgiving Tony, or anyone being in the forgiving mood for that matter, the UN releasing anyone from super prison and letting them be avengers again, or public opinion returning to their favor

Plus Sam's whole thing is being a big softy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1655344620681965568

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

FlamingLiberal posted:

They've done Red Skull, Crossbones, Batroc, Arnim Zola, Flag Smasher (in a slightly different way), Winter Soldier, Baron Strucker, Baron Zemo

From what I can tell the only ones they haven't done are like Dr Faustus and Sin that are major ones, then there are some lesser known ones like Baron Blood. I think it says a lot that the main villain of Cap 4 is going to be a villain that is traditionally more of a Hulk adversary in The Leader. Although he's kind of similar to Dr Faustus in that his big thing is mind control.

It's not too late to go back to their old joke and actually do Serpent Society.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Bought tickets for Across the Spiderverse and I’m excited (for a month from now)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I just realized that comes out in a month already

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Inkspot posted:

Tony's a tricky one, though. He quietly renounces being Iron Man in Iron Man 3, and then he's back at it in Age of Ultron without any real explanation.

I never understood this criticism. The whole point of Age of Ultron is that Tony has one foot out the door and wants to retire, but can't out of the egotistical feeling of obligation. The siege against the Hydra base is supposed to be the last hurrah for both Iron Man and the Avengers in general. He's already making the move to using Iron Man suits as AI drones.

The problem is his futurist paranoia, amplified by Wanda. He knows deep down that at some point, another alien invasion is going to happen. Ultron is supposed to be a way for him to deal with those potential threats while being allowed to move on and stop being Iron Man completely. That plan fails spectacularly and he reacts badly, diving headfirst into the job because he feels he has to. He's not Iron Man because it's cool and fun, but because he thinks everyone will die if he doesn't run the show. Then he alienates his friends by acting like the self-appointed King of Superheroes. "We have to listen to the government and by 'we' I mean you! I'll do whatever I want. I know best."

He isn't truly free of this until Thanos humbles him.

So I'd say the Iron Man trilogy is about Tony Stark getting over being a superhero as a self-destroying addiction. Post-trilogy is about him relapsing strictly out of overblown self-importance.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Because people are making up the most arbitrary reasons to say it doesn't count as the third Captain America movie.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People aren't saying it's not really a Captain America movie, they're saying Captain America is not coherent as a trilogy.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
And it's fine to be wrong about that.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Listen, I adore the Cap films, especially the first one which I feel is massively underappreciated and which aged magnificently, but even I'll concede that they are just three great films rather than a coherent trilogy. Mostly because Cap's story is so integral to the 4 Avengers flicks as well that it's a proper 7 movie arc, which is better than a trilogy.

I will absolutely die fighting on the hill that MCU Cap has a perfect overall story arc which is wonderful, complete, and no other single character gets such a comprehensive first till last moment treatment. From the skinny kid who wanted to stop nazis, to standing alone against the most powerful being in the universe, to closing out his arc by getting to retire and finally get that dance with Peggy. Just magnificent from start to finish, and if I feel occasionally a bit tired and disconnected with some (some) MCU stuff these days, it's because that dance and that kiss were so earned, so perfect, that it's the image that ties up a decade of filmmaking and even once Phase 4/5 figures out properly where it is going, I know there will never again be an endpoint to an arc for any character that will be so utterly appropriate as that one.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah he does have the best arc (and I think Tony has a good one too, even if it seems a little inconsistent in the middle).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Civil War is very much a Cap movie for a lot of reasons, the issue is you have to have seen at least a couple other non-Cap films to know what's going on, whereas you could watch just the Guardians movies and those will make sense, that's all we're saying