Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I am convinced I heard Clarke Peters doing the voiceover for (I think) a car rental business on ITV during the coverage of the Grand National on Saturday

YO IS THIS THE HI HAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Huh, the Hi Hat is the name of the bar in the Deuce.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Just want to say, I've spent the past couple of days watching True Detective season 2.

I enjoyed the first half. It's obviously nowhere near as good as the first series but it's a decent noir, well acted and shot. Then the final four episodes are some of the worst and most cliché television I've ever seen. I finally understand why it took forever for season 3 to get the green light, this was nearly a franchise killer.

I look forward to watching season 3, which is apparently much better.

Is there a True Detective thread anywhere? I feel like there should be with season 4 coming up soon.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Is there a True Detective thread anywhere? I feel like there should be with season 4 coming up soon.

Don't think there is an active thread for the show in general(?) but here are the old threads for each individual season, and the Season 3 thread is still "open":

True Detective Season 1
True Detective Season 2
True Detective Season 3

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Mahershala Ali whips rear end in season 3.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Watching True Detective last year, the 2nd season was a huge drag. It felt too much like a 2 hour cop film that got stretched out for 10 hours. I think it also didn't help that it was happening in real time, season 1 (and 3) bouncing back and forth between time periods really worked and they completely abandoned that for season 2. Kinda feel that it didn't help that we spent so much time with the antagonists.

Season 3 pivoted back to a similar set up of season 1, and it looks like season 4 is sticking with some of that (especially with being set in an isolated area like Alaska)

On The Wire, this show has gotten to the point where I can play it in the background and know exactly what's happening and when. However, I find myself fast-forwarding through most Ziggy scenes because they make me so sad :smith:

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Over the years, I've warmed to the serial killer plot of S5, mostly because I realized that it's sorta kinda realistic in a strange way. It's two guys, who always think they're the smartest person in any given room, coming up with a play to get what they want and they're too self-obsessed to figure out that other people might see through it. It's worth noting that the rank and file cops don't really believe it, but command does. Being somewhat intelligent but also self-absorbed in the way Lester and McNulty are, makes a person stupid in interesting ways.

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
Thank you!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1650886265640714242?t=Eag9dMSpCR81yHixKrSpiQ&s=19

I know this is NFL related but it made me laugh too much not to share.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Don't think there is an active thread for the show in general(?) but here are the old threads for each individual season, and the Season 3 thread is still "open":

True Detective Season 1
True Detective Season 2
True Detective Season 3

Thanks for linking these.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

algebra testes posted:

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1650886265640714242?t=Eag9dMSpCR81yHixKrSpiQ&s=19

I know this is NFL related but it made me laugh too much not to share.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Just watching random scenes on YouTube and came across the conversation between Avon and Slim in the aftermath of Stinger's death. When Avon says that String was right I can't really tell if he means or if that's just his grief over losing Stinger (and maybe a bit of guilt over not being able to do something to get Brother Mouzone to not seek revenge).

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Stare-Out posted:

S2 of True Detective was trash, I thought. Vince Vaughn’s character would’ve been interesting in another show though. S3 was good but still couldn’t live up to S1. I’m hoping the new season brings something interesting to the table because hell, I don’t mind me some Jodie Foster.

I seem to remember someone in the TD thread totally called that Vince Vaughn was going to randomly throw the word "apoplectic" into one of his many overly verbose speeches

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

True Detective S2 contains the high point of the series, when Colin Farrell watches Friends with his dud of a son.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Colin Farrell was the only redeeamable quality of S2. The divorced father an overweight, bullied ginger of a son? So he goes and beats up the bullies dad? Watching that poo poo was hilarious.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

12 years old my rear end, gently caress. YOU.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

True Detective Season 1
True Detective Season 2
True Detective Season 3

God I hate reading old threads and finding my dumb rear end posting some milquetoast take.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

The SituAsian posted:

Just watching random scenes on YouTube and came across the conversation between Avon and Slim in the aftermath of Stinger's death. When Avon says that String was right I can't really tell if he means or if that's just his grief over losing Stinger (and maybe a bit of guilt over not being able to do something to get Brother Mouzone to not seek revenge).

Just momentary grief in my opinion, if he meant it then he would have changed going forward, had a different opinion on the "game".

But that's not the sense I get from his scenes in season 5 when he met Marlo in prison. There, he was still the kingpin playing the game, Westside v Eastside etc etc.

Avon didn't play no away games, he was just a gangster I suppose, so while he may have regretted what happened Stringer I doubt it was going to change who he was.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Doing another rewatch and on to season 2. Somehow I forgot exactly how much I hated ziggy. The dumbest motherfucker in the whole show.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
What about that one woman? With the boyfriend? Who was buying up all the track phones?

Edit: or the “forty-degree day” kid in Avon’s crew, lol

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Jewmanji posted:

What about that one woman? With the boyfriend? Who was buying up all the track phones?

I can't wait to go to jail.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

zenguitarman posted:

I can't wait to go to jail.

BERNARD!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ziggy owns actually

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

I WANT A SHREK SLURPY!

AND SOME KRISPEY KREEM!

Wafflecopper posted:

ziggy owns actually
:hmmyes:

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

bucketybuck posted:

Just momentary grief in my opinion, if he meant it then he would have changed going forward, had a different opinion on the "game".

But that's not the sense I get from his scenes in season 5 when he met Marlo in prison. There, he was still the kingpin playing the game, Westside v Eastside etc etc.

Avon didn't play no away games, he was just a gangster I suppose, so while he may have regretted what happened Stringer I doubt it was going to change who he was.

I feel like Stringer's death really did change Avon. If only because we know that one of the real life inspirations for Avon did his time and then came out of jail a more or less changed man. Avon is basically done with the game when he meets Marlo in prison.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Fuckin Ziggy man

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Ithle01 posted:

I feel like Stringer's death really did change Avon. If only because we know that one of the real life inspirations for Avon did his time and then came out of jail a more or less changed man. Avon is basically done with the game when he meets Marlo in prison.

He not only came out a changed man, he got a role on the show

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Yeah it's kind of crazy to think that the quiet preacher guy is literally an older Avon Barksdale.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ziggy is a sympathetic character who works very hard to be unlikable

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Ithle01 posted:

Yeah it's kind of crazy to think that the quiet preacher guy is literally an older Avon Barksdale.

wait all i can find on google is a guy named nathan barksdale who never appeared on screen? is there something i'm missing?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

teen phone cutie posted:

wait all i can find on google is a guy named nathan barksdale who never appeared on screen? is there something i'm missing?

The Deacon was Little Melvin, a drug figure in the 80's. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melvin_Williams_(actor)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

teen phone cutie posted:

The dude who played the deacon is/was a former drug lord.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Ziggy is a dumbass but also a lot of it is performative because he wants to hide that he is a fundamentally sad man, perhaps the only Sobotka who understands his lot in life and the futility of it all.

I formed this opinion despite not having seen season 2 in like 10 years btw

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Frank knew what was up. He also handled it poorly in retrospect.

But he at least tried to help other people. Ziggy deserves very little sympathy.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Ziggy recognises the situation and revels in nihilism about it.

Frank recognises the situation and tries to help others in it and do the best he can.

Nick I'm not sure does recognise the situation.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

On a related note, it always amused me that the real Landsman is on the show, but has a fraction of the charisma of the actor playing him. Not a shock, being an actor isn't easy, but found it funny.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

God Hole posted:

Ziggy is a dumbass but also a lot of it is performative because he wants to hide that he is a fundamentally sad man, perhaps the only Sobotka who understands his lot in life and the futility of it all.

I formed this opinion despite not having seen season 2 in like 10 years btw

IMO one of Ziggy's core problems is that he isn't ready to accept who he really is, i.e. mostly unsuited to being a checker or stevedore and that he is always going to be miserable in that life(and he fits even less into the world of crime). But instead of coming to terms with that and looking for other paths, he clings to this idealized version of the dock work and tries to make it work somehow.

He seems like he might have succeeded at something like art or entertainment. Or maybe community college would have worked out for him, like it did for his brother. But he never even tried. Ironically, while he desperately tries to win Frank's respect by following into his footsteps, Frank would have respected him so much more for succeeding at something outside the docks than for being a goofy half-assed dock worker who is the punchline to every joke.

Nick's problems are mostly due to socio-econonmic factors, but Ziggy's problems are personal/psychological.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status/1655640124753862669

RIP HBO

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man, gently caress HBO.

Also, my reductive and ultimately paper-thin comparison that doesn't hold up to even the remotest scrutiny is that Ziggy Sobotka and Roman Roy are the same person but one is insanely rich and has a mico-penis and the other is desperately poor and.... doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Frank Sobotka would be proud.

What does 'suspend' mean in Hollywood legalese? His contract is totally torched? They'll go back to the way things used to be when there's a new deal with the WGA?