Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Valentin posted:

shame that instead the quirk singularity means infinite quirk-free regen or whatever

???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

:shrug: this isn't the official translation but afaicr the official translation was similar and the current status of the quirk singularity hypothesis in the comic is "yeah the quirk singularity is when shigaraki gets too many quirks in him and becomes infinity hands. that's not a quirk it's just what the human body does, on account of the quirk singularity"

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Valentin posted:

:shrug: this isn't the official translation but afaicr the official translation was similar and the current status of the quirk singularity hypothesis in the comic is "yeah the quirk singularity is when shigaraki gets too many quirks in him and becomes infinity hands. that's not a quirk it's just what the human body does, on account of the quirk singularity"

"A literal mad scientist told me that growing infinite hands is they way of the future as he was torturing my body to give me the ability to grow infinite hands."

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I dislike this development of moving away from quirks getting stronger through hard work and/or shortcuts attained from drug use into you get an insta-power up from life-or-death situations or because the plot demands it so. At some point, UA could skip the quirk strengthening training and start tossing students into a (fake) volcano to get their quirks to quickly grow from the (fake) danger.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Flair posted:

I dislike this development of moving away from quirks getting stronger through hard work and/or shortcuts attained from drug use into you get an insta-power up from life-or-death situations or because the plot demands it so. At some point, UA could skip the quirk strengthening training and start tossing students into a (fake) volcano to get their quirks to quickly grow from the (fake) danger.

Reluctant Heihachi Mishima has logged in

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Flair posted:

This is a shonen anime. There have already been multiple instances of people getting stronger from screaming louder in do-or-die situations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Getting a powerup from a near-death situation requires that you actually survive the near-death situation, which you probably won't be able to do without training in the first place. And I doubt faking it would really work.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Flair posted:

This is basically what has been happening to Class A(and to a lesser extent Class B) since the very beginning of the series. It's the entire reason why they're all capable of fighting alongside pro heroes instead of cowering in a bomb shelter with the other actual children.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So “Rei” is Shoto right? It doesn’t make sense for Rei herself to be there and Endeavor’s having tons of hallucinations

EDIT: Oh wait the Todoroki family was in the evacuation block that stopped moving near Dabi. I guess it could actually be her then.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 8, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Flair posted:

I mean... Dabi has been doing "hard work" Literally pushing his quirk and his body to the absolutely limit and beyond to the point that its killing him, like the life or death situation is him overworking his quirk to his own destruction, not just being chucked into something.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

oh jay posted:

This is a shonen anime. There have already been multiple instances of people getting stronger from screaming louder in do-or-die situations.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Getting a powerup from a near-death situation requires that you actually survive the near-death situation, which you probably won't be able to do without training in the first place. And I doubt faking it would really work.

Kanos posted:

This is basically what has been happening to Class A(and to a lesser extent Class B) since the very beginning of the series. It's the entire reason why they're all capable of fighting alongside pro heroes instead of cowering in a bomb shelter with the other actual children.

AtomikKrab posted:

I mean... Dabi has been doing "hard work" Literally pushing his quirk and his body to the absolutely limit and beyond to the point that its killing him, like the life or death situation is him overworking his quirk to his own destruction, not just being chucked into something.

My suspension of disbelief with most characters in this manga in previous instances is that they were heroes/villains who have gained experience and/or gone through hardship (and some of it we get to see) to hone their abilities. There are a lot of impromptu powerups in this current arc, but now we are getting a civilian into the mix because of reasons.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Flair posted:

My suspension of disbelief with most characters in this manga in previous instances is that they were heroes/villains who have gained experience and/or gone through hardship (and some of it we get to see) to hone their abilities. There are a lot of impromptu powerups in this current arc, but now we are getting a civilian into the mix because of reasons.

I agree but this is a different complaint to the one your originally posted.

And I would be surprised if Rei is at all useful from a superpower standpoint, rather than a talk no jutsu standpoint.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Flair posted:

i mean it's the same basic concept as an adrenaline rush in a life or death situation, which makes sense just fine with quirks being a biological thing

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

oh jay posted:

I agree but this is a different complaint to the one your originally posted.

And I would be surprised if Rei is at all useful from a superpower standpoint, rather than a talk no jutsu standpoint.

In my original post, I should have clarified all of what I was implying:

- if quirks can get so strong from Awakenings and/or life-or-death that it even applies to civilians, UA should incorporate a process to artificially induce it into their students. Even Geten got awakened simply because Yotsubashi burned himself.
- my suspension of disbelief with most of the characters even getting an impromptu powerup in this current arc is because of life-or-death situations blooming what they have been training all of this time. I can understand that, this being the last arc, the mangaka is showing off "growth" in a short period of time (though this has its own issues), but if Rei can get it as well, it somewhat undercuts the process. If it does end up being "talk no jutsu", that's fine because the story has set up Rei confronting her past and talking with her family, not showing off how she has been training her quirk.

Inflammatory posted:

i mean it's the same basic concept as an adrenaline rush in a life or death situation, which makes sense just fine with quirks being a biological thing

But in real life, the strength you get from adrenaline rushes from life or death is not permanent. If the strength was permanent like in MHA, bodybuilders would have a different routine from just going to the gym.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Flair posted:

- if quirks can get so strong from Awakenings and/or life-or-death that it even applies to civilians, UA should incorporate a process to artificially induce it into their students. Even Geten got awakened simply because Yotsubashi burned himself.

this would be an insane thing to do to children

which i guess is not exactly out of style for UA, but still

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Gohan, I'm going to beat you to an inch our your life and then force feed you a senzu bean. Hurry up, I got a whole pouch and we're losing the sun.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

studio mujahideen posted:

this would be an insane thing to do to children

which i guess is not exactly out of style for UA, but still

UA's admission test involves throwing a fortnite battlebus full of completely untrained children into a combat arena with a bunch of robot drones and saying "go nuts".

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
"gently caress them kids." - Principal Nezu

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kanos posted:

UA's admission test involves throwing a fortnite battlebus full of completely untrained children into a combat arena with a bunch of robot drones and saying "go nuts".

And this was the toned down version after people kept getting hurt. it used to be actual live combatants.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Reduced sentence if you knock an applicant out

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MewJo89C8s

Alright kids, get in the asphyxiation tube, we're gonna speedrun getting your full power set.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Flair posted:

But in real life, the strength you get from adrenaline rushes from life or death is not permanent. If the strength was permanent like in MHA, bodybuilders would have a different routine from just going to the gym.

Is it even true that people get "super strength" from adrenaline? I always assumed it was the sort of thing where an untrained person is just lifting far more than they'd normally be capable of due to ignoring their body's negative response to it and putting in far more effort than they normally would, but it still wouldn't exceed what an actual trained weightlifter would be able to lift (and a weightlifter probably wouldn't benefit in the same way from adrenaline because they already know how to push themselves to their limits).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Now I've heard everything, next you'll tell me alien ape people getting stronger from almost dying is unrealistic!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(Ă¢Â–Â°Ă‹Â˜vĂ‹Â˜Ă¢Â–Â°)
Adrenaline doesn't give you "extra" strength but it does make your heart pump faster and your lungs work harder which can definitely help you perform at higher levels than you are used to

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Kanos posted:

and then once you pass that you gotta spar with All-Might

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

Watching Superman punch a child so hard he vomits was definitely a highlight of the series.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

oh jay posted:

Watching Superman punch a child so hard he vomits was definitely a highlight of the series.

Thats just like a fan asking a professional wrestler to slam them into the mat

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Ytlaya posted:

Is it even true that people get "super strength" from adrenaline? I always assumed it was the sort of thing where an untrained person is just lifting far more than they'd normally be capable of due to ignoring their body's negative response to it and putting in far more effort than they normally would, but it still wouldn't exceed what an actual trained weightlifter would be able to lift (and a weightlifter probably wouldn't benefit in the same way from adrenaline because they already know how to push themselves to their limits).

It's called hysterical strength, and though it's difficult to study (due to being at the very least wildly unethical and potentially actually impossible to deliberately induce in controlled circumstances), it doesn't seem to be caused by adrenaline. One theory is that it's a "limiters off" sort of situation, where the body normally limits how much force a person can exert in order to avoid damaging their own bones or completely exhausting reserves of energy, but in certain desperate situations decides that "actually, lifting this is more important than having undamaged bones".

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

CharlestonJew posted:

To be fair, that's not normal. All Might is only working there as of this year, and the two who get paired with him are his successor (which I'm pretty sure Nezu knows???) and Bakugo (who could use a reality check pretty much 24/7 anyway).

Also that specific exam isn't even the usual exam they do there either if I remember correctly.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I still think that if you had rearranged the order in which you presented these events and had bakugo actually just die for real it'd have been really affecting.

You could've also turned bakugo's thing with All Might's force ghost into a proper comic reference. I'm having a brain fart but I distinctly remember a comic where someone dies and sees their dad on the Elysium fields, and they have a father/son talk.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I still think that if you had rearranged the order in which you presented these events and had bakugo actually just die for real it'd have been really affecting.

You could've also turned bakugo's thing with All Might's force ghost into a proper comic reference. I'm having a brain fart but I distinctly remember a comic where someone dies and sees their dad on the Elysium fields, and they have a father/son talk.

All-Star Superman? He gets better though.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Isn’t that the black panther movie

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I have no idea whats going on lol

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/7366/my-hero-academia-chapter-388?&date=11-5-2023-23

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
this chapter:

owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Basically, every single individual in the area has to have individualized robot transit to safety, because a small number of high capacity robots might force wealthy citizens to sit next to a homeless person while being evacuated. Dabi blowing up thus becomes a metaphor for the climate change this ludicrous waste of resources is causing.

The increasing atomization of society can only be solved by spinner, as I will now be outlining in a fifty thousand character post.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Malicious compliance will always save the day.

…or is this compliant malice?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The robot is only fulfilling the desire in all robots, which is to destroy all humans.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Even the robot had a last minute character arc. :dogstare:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Shoto's whole family is going to be ash by the time he gets there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

The robot giving a thumbs up as it burns is completely a meme right?