Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

Not a stock question per se but I went down a rabbit hole of reading about the Fed's repo and reverse repo facilities this morning and

Good news! We created a more general economics thread in BFC for this exact reason, and we're discussing the Fed right now:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027219&pagenumber=7&perpage=40

The only big caveat of that thread is you can't link directly to tweets, to focus on actual discussion, and discourage doom scrolling and reaction posts ("doom!" or "blood!")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

mrmcd posted:

One of the main things the Fed does as a central bank is set the price of money. The RRP is one of the main tools that have to do that, because when they let the RRP rate rise, it siphons money out of the parts of the banking system that are paying less than that. Similarly, if they want to lower the price of money, a low RRP rate pushes those dollars to go look for better returns elsewhere. This trickles down to interest rates for everything else in the economy. Central banking. Yay.

Also, the list of RRP counterparties is published here: https://www.newyorkfed.org/markets/rrp_counterparties. It's mostly not banks, but money market funds. The idea of a) take customer deposits, then b) park them at the Fed RRP, and c) keep a spread for your trouble is called "Narrow Banking", and some people are actually trying to start a narrow bank, and the Fed keeps telling them no. The people at the Fed hate the idea of narrow banking for various reasons, but the main one being that a bank that lends deposits for businesses and mortgages and other economic investments is (usually) beneficial to society, while a bank that just sits on a dragon hoard of Fed deposits is not, and possible actively harmful in a banking confidence crisis because they would siphon all the deposits from other banks.

Some Fed people have recently published papers that this is what's actually happening now with MMFs. The combination of the regional bank crisis and just generally lovely deposit rates from many banks is pushing people to withdraw deposits and put them in MMFs. The MMFs put them in t-bills but more and more in the RRP, if they inventory of t-bills isn't enough to beat the RRP rate. So these MMFs now have trillions of dollars payable on demand (sometimes you can even get a atm card and write checks!), with the cash parked at very short term, risk-free government facilities, and are essentially shadow narrow banks. The Fed hates narrow banks, have stumbled onto creating narrow banks in all but name, and aren't sure what to do about it.

This is literally what I’m doing with my previously banked dollars. I moved ~80% of my savings account to FDRXX which is a MMF that invests in Fed notes and RRP. Even though my savings are small potatoes, other people have to be doing the same.

The real rear end-kicker is that now that my savings is in the MMF, it’s gonna take a lot of sweetener for me to get off my rear end and move it back into the banking system. Basically the banks have semi-permanently lost my savings and it is unavailable for them to lend out to others. If my rational (read: optimization of returns) actions are followed by others… woof.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
To answer my own question, I guess it would make sense that even with a guaranteed* profit stream of billions from the Fed for the biggest banks, maybe it's such a tough business environment out there right now for manifold reasons (including high interest rates) that it's still a wash for banks' overall business, and a quick glance at a few of them shows them trading mostly flat, so the market seems to think that as well.

It's fascinating because before 2021, this source of income for big banks didn't exist. And one would think that when a brand new, wildly profitable revenue stream gets created out of thin air the way the RRP was, that it would be a no-brainer for investors.

*unless the Fed is wrong about its ability to operate in the red and/or the government defaults, in which case we'll all have much bigger things to worry about than investing

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Good news! We created a more general economics thread in BFC for this exact reason, and we're discussing the Fed right now:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027219&pagenumber=7&perpage=40

The only big caveat of that thread is you can't link directly to tweets, to focus on actual discussion, and discourage doom scrolling and reaction posts ("doom!" or "blood!")

oh cool, thanks. I did look for the most appropriate thread, and didnt see any obvious winners. anddd this was tangentially an investing question too

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

No worries it's a pretty new thread, just doing a little advertising since it hadn't been mentioned here in over a month

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Any ideas what will happen to rare earth miners/EV car makers/battery producers/etc if Chile nationalizes their lithium mines? I want to see Chile say gently caress off to everyone and do it, but I can’t imagine everyone else just letting it go.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The industry is already starting to pivot to sodium ion batteries which aren't dependent on lithium. Sodium ion batteries are 90% the energy density and 30% the cost and the cathode/anodes are less fragile, plus, like, every country on the planet has unlimited supply of sodium since it's a major part of salt in sea water and other things

I guess they had early success with lithium, plus the fact that it's about a quarter as heavy so they gave up on sodium and ran with lithium.

Sodium can't produce as much instant power but they're working on providing battery packs that are a blend of sodium and lithium, like 90/10 sodium lithium, to allow for fast acceleration with lithium and cruising with sodium. Sodium also due to better cathode/anode materials (the main limiting factor in battery life/cycles) has a longer (2x?) life span

I guess the idea is that by switching to sodium, will take pressure off lithium supplies and keep the price in check. Bad (terrible) analogy gas vs diesel :iiaca:

Sodium is supposed to be in commercial vehicles by 2027, so realistically 2030 or 32

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Hadlock posted:

The industry is already starting to pivot to sodium ion batteries which aren't dependent on lithium. Sodium ion batteries are 90% the energy density and 30% the cost and the cathode/anodes are less fragile, plus, like, every country on the planet has unlimited supply of sodium since it's a major part of salt in sea water and other things

I guess they had early success with lithium, plus the fact that it's about a quarter as heavy so they gave up on sodium and ran with lithium.

Sodium can't produce as much instant power but they're working on providing battery packs that are a blend of sodium and lithium, like 90/10 sodium lithium, to allow for fast acceleration with lithium and cruising with sodium. Sodium also due to better cathode/anode materials (the main limiting factor in battery life/cycles) has a longer (2x?) life span

I guess the idea is that by switching to sodium, will take pressure off lithium supplies and keep the price in check. Bad (terrible) analogy gas vs diesel :iiaca:

Sodium is supposed to be in commercial vehicles by 2027, so realistically 2030 or 32
How much would the sodium ion batteries bring down the price of EV's, assuming wide industry acceptance? As well as replacement cost for such batteries?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

Any ideas what will happen to rare earth miners/EV car makers/battery producers/etc if Chile nationalizes their lithium mines? I want to see Chile say gently caress off to everyone and do it, but I can’t imagine everyone else just letting it go.

There's multiple providers, china and chile having the majority if this is correct. https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2023/01/chart-countries-produce-lithium-world/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah china and chile

Apparently the desert in california contains like, 20% or more lithium by weight near the salt flats/salt lakes, Tesla is working on a way to extract it from the soil there. There's other lithium supplies but in chile/bolivia they literally just scrape it off the ground, kind of like how crude oil used to seep out of the ground in los angeles up until the 1940s when they finally pumped it dry

China announced last week (month?) they would stop exporting unrefined lithium ore, which is probably another reason why the industry has started dumping money into sodum

nnnotime posted:

How much would the sodium ion batteries bring down the price of EV's, assuming wide industry acceptance? As well as replacement cost for such batteries?

I can't find the article right now but I think it would keep the cost mostly flat as sodium is slightly more expensive than lithium, but would reduce/eliminate price pressure on lithium, similar to how lifepo4* is being used on the model 3/Y to reduce use of lithium-ion**

*used in medical/industrial devices
**your traditional idea of a "laptop battery cell"

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 2, 2023

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Cacafuego posted:

It’s probably going to be good for lithium mining in places like Australia where we have huge reserves that haven’t really been properly explored yet.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Just sharing another small win: a few weeks ago, when news came out about monthly inflation being at zero, I made a bet that $DUST would go up (i.e that gold prices would come down in response). I closed the position for a 9% win, yesterday.

My dumb hypothesis is that because there's so much AI and algorithmic HFT stuff going on, that it'd be pointless to try to do technical stuff. So, instead maybe it'd be more effective to trade on emotional stuff, like bad news cycles. Basically: instead of trading off the bad news itself, I try to guess the next implications of the bad news will be, which I imagine that machine learning probably cannot do from its sentiment analysis stuff.

So far it seems to be working, but I don't know if this is something to actually take seriously. It's better than the S&P returns, though, so maybe it's "good enough"? I'm nervous to increase the size of my bets, but %-wise I've been pretty consistent with 5%~15% per trade, per month, over the past few months. However, portfolio-wise, the portfolio return is very low because I'm making only small volume bets. Am just nervously dipping my toes into this stuff.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
SoFi is being annihilated this week. Wish I had puts.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I took a very small speculative put on apple, given that I expect ER coming up to be absolutely awful for them. Given the 40% sales drop y/o/y and a much lower estimated er, I'll see. If they go the other way and explode I'll just cut whatever is left. Not expecting more than a couple weeks out of this.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

gay picnic defence posted:

It’s probably going to be good for lithium mining in places like Australia where we have huge reserves that haven’t really been properly explored yet.

Ivanhoe in Canada killed their big lithium project last week as not being worthwhile. Who knows what’s going on.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Closed 10% on $SPR this morning. Rode the wave between 4/14 and this morning with earnings! :yotj:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FistEnergy posted:

SoFi is being annihilated this week. Wish I had puts.

Feeling pretty good selling at $6.50* :smug:

Probably going to buy back in when I have some money again tho

*cost basis $10 :negative:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I think I’ll keep trying to time /ES even if I lose money over time. Maybe some day it will click and I will be profitable.

Today was a wild one, almost untradeable with the ridiculous leverage and split second crashes that can happen with /ES. I’m using thinkorswim.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Inner Light posted:

I think I’ll keep trying to time /ES even if I lose money over time. Maybe some day it will click and I will be profitable.

Today was a wild one, almost untradeable with the ridiculous leverage and split second crashes that can happen with /ES. I’m using thinkorswim.

Trading /ES on a big jpow speech day..... that seems even more insane than usual.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Baddog posted:

Trading /ES on a big jpow speech day..... that seems even more insane than usual.

It was pretty stupid! Thankfully I stayed on the right side of luck today, but it is dumb to actively trade based on luck because I feel my passive accounts do way better than the dumb luck plays. And that’s what the studies say anyway about day traders.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Baddog posted:

Which mailing list do we subscribe to so we know which days those are? I only ever hear about them after the fact

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
https://www.federalreserve.gov/monetarypolicy/fomccalendars.htm

Just about any futures/broker will be getting market news alerts on these days, I get emails from my future brokers warning of increased margin requirements on these days at least.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I follow

https://www.marketwatch.com/economy-politics/calendar

You should keep an eye on big earnings events as well. Apple is tomorrow!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Baddog posted:

I follow

https://www.marketwatch.com/economy-politics/calendar

You should keep an eye on big earnings events as well. Apple is tomorrow!

I wish SA posts had like button sometimes but thanks for the links all.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
CWEN's earnings report was a break even. Between that and the usual market-tanking speech from Powell, it's on sale.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
drat my 52 week low scanner has been on fire these last few days

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

cirus posted:

drat my 52 week low scanner has been on fire these last few days

Is that generally a buy signal for you?

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Inner Light posted:

Is that generally a buy signal for you?

Not usually, but I use it to screen for beaten down stocks. I look for patterns that suggest it's undervalued e.g. more cash than debt, low P/E, potential upcoming catalysts. Most are garbage but I've picked out a couple of winners like recently GMDA that dropped suddenly in March and received early FDA approval in April price has doubled from the March low. I also don't typically buy at the low I just put potentials on a watch list to keep an eye on them.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Smallcap biotech finally starting to recover.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
closed apple put today +60%, naturally wasn't going to risk ER which...despite everything, apparently apple totally crushed *and* announced $90B in buybacks coming.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

notwithoutmyanus posted:

closed apple put today +60%, naturally wasn't going to risk ER which...despite everything, apparently apple totally crushed *and* announced $90B in buybacks coming.

the conservative fruit-heavy portfolio once again pays off for the hungry investor!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue own a bunch of $CFG

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

street doc posted:

Smallcap biotech finally starting to recover.

$GOONs rejoice!

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
What screener settings do you guys use for stock picking? Here's what I've been using (I got it from a book a few years ago): https://finviz.com/screener.ashx?v=111&f=earningsdate_nextweek,fa_peg_u1,geo_usa,sh_curvol_o1000,sh_relvol_o0.75&ft=4

I just look for one that is near the end of a bad news cycle (like with the oil industry the past couple of weeks, edit: I got in on $MPC at the bottom on Thursday and I'm hoping it'll come back up just like when they were talking poo poo about the imminent bank failures the other month) and ahead of earnings. My hypothesis is just that in the weeks leading up to earnings, the big fishes are placing their bets one way or the other and so if I can see which way their expectations are going then maybe I can profit off their expectations, and get out right before earnings day.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 6, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Love Stole the Day posted:

What screener settings do you guys use for stock picking? Here's what I've been using (I got it from a book a few years ago): https://finviz.com/screener.ashx?v=111&f=earningsdate_nextweek,fa_peg_u1,geo_usa,sh_curvol_o1000,sh_relvol_o0.75&ft=4

I just look for one that is near the end of a bad news cycle (like with the oil industry the past couple of weeks, edit: I got in on $MPC at the bottom on Thursday and I'm hoping it'll come back up just like when they were talking poo poo about the imminent bank failures the other month) and ahead of earnings. My hypothesis is just that in the weeks leading up to earnings, the big fishes are placing their bets one way or the other and so if I can see which way their expectations are going then maybe I can profit off their expectations, and get out right before earnings day.

so, your finviz screener is basically centered around the PEG < 1, so ye olde Peter Lynch "Growth at a Reasonable Price" basic metric, plus big volume and upcoming earnings. I have used that and it's sometimes interesting, but in general I think there's not one great screener to rule them all for finding good long positions. Businesses are too different. A great growth biz and great value biz will have wildly different screener outcomes. I will say that one thing I've had fun with is going sector by sector and screening for medium+ sized companies with extremely high P/S. That pointed out a lot of shitcos that died in 2021 and 2022.

As a broad quality / GARP screener I've used something like this before, sans PEG:
https://finviz.com/screener.ashx?v=...=2&o=-marketcap
it's super broad, though. just a first pass.

Also if you like GARP stocks you might want to look into the index methodology for the SPGP etf:
https://www.invesco.com/us/financial-products/etfs/product-detail?audienceType=Investor&ticker=SPGP
it's kinda nifty:
https://www.spglobal.com/spdji/en/documents/methodologies/methodology-sp-garp-indices.pdf

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

pmchem posted:

I will say that one thing I've had fun with is going sector by sector and screening for medium+ sized companies with extremely high P/S. That pointed out a lot of shitcos that died in 2021 and 2022.
This is a very good perspective, thanks for sharing that!

pmchem posted:

As a broad quality / GARP screener I've used something like this before, sans PEG:
https://finviz.com/screener.ashx?v=...=2&o=-marketcap
it's super broad, though. just a first pass.
This is helpful, thanks! Sort this by the most negative recent changes, and it'll show stocks that are just down on their luck for whatever reason. Combining this with my "which sector is the media talking poo poo about, for this current news cycle?" methodology should be pretty helpful.

I know that PEG can't be used to compare between companies (and especially across sectors), and so the basic "is the company not unhealthy" filters you setup in your link are much more comprehensive than my naive thing. Thank you!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I had to listen to a podcast by that chamath palihapitiya guy whose hot stock tips were popular in this thread a few years ago.

That guy sucks rear end. He was interviewing Robert Kennedy about how Haitians don't get covid because they take hydrocloroquin, and Nigerians are never autistic because they skip the vaccines

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I had to listen to a podcast by that chamath palihapitiya guy whose hot stock tips were popular in this thread a few years ago.

That guy sucks rear end. He was interviewing Robert Kennedy about how Haitians don't get covid because they take hydrocloroquin, and Nigerians are never autistic because they skip the vaccines

Wow. I listened to a few clips when his name was out there, and I picked up on a couple red flags, though he may have skills in certain areas or hit big on luck. Thanks for sharing, I will assign less credence to that dude.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
wasn't that guys whole schtick minting spacs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

wasn't that guys whole schtick minting spacs?

His whole schtick was rug pulling all of us.