Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Do they have the exploding fat blokes and ashmatic joggers from Dying LIght?

Exploding dudes aren't that fat. They just have balloony growths that expand and then blow.

Fat dudes puke and spit acid mostly.

IDG the jogger reference, but Runners are bit loud when they're running.
Funnily enough they can keep up with your running, but never actually catch up, until you stop.
And they're zombie growling the whole time so you can't miss if you have one behind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Issaries posted:

Funnily enough they can keep up with your running, but never actually catch up, until you stop.
And they're zombie growling the whole time so you can't miss if you have one behind you.

Ah, just like in nightmares! :kiddo:

Tired Moritz posted:

Is this a horror game?? Anyway, I was so poo poo at the base game, so I'm pretty excited

We now have a mystery/detective game thread! :eng101:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030786

al-azad
May 28, 2009

New Amnesia drops at the end of the month and looks pretty legit. It seems to be following up with Alien Isolation where there's a single monster that hunts you throughout. Fueling generators keeps the monster away from lit rooms and you have a noisy rear end wind-up flashlight for rooms without power but the monster can hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFSKFX2PNsM

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/concept/10007269

Didn't this get good reviews? Coming to Playstation now.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/concept/10007269

Didn't this get good reviews? Coming to Playstation now.

it's a short but fun time. if you haven't touched it, i'd recommend it as the perfect halloween eve game, because it's all (very well constructed) atmosphere with a ridiculously cryptic and barely comprehensible plot that's not worth the effort to dig into, so sit yourself down with some snickers, turn off the lights, and have a good time

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Aw, I don't know about barely comprehensible. There's a storyline there, it's just a little shaky and Lynchy.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Aw, I don't know about barely comprehensible. There's a storyline there, it's just a little shaky and Lynchy.

it's maddeningly vague in that kind of irritating way, where there's enough cryptic imagery and thematic allusions that you can spin almost any interpretation you want out of whole cloth. it's much more about the atmosphere it's creating than it is about giving you any kind of satisfying answer or emotional payoff, which is fine for such a short experience, but it's good to be forewarned that it's not something like, say, signalis

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Excavation of Hob's Barrow was cool, I'm always surprised to see AGS games can still run on modern resolutions, but I wish the story were just a bit longer.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The person behind a number of pretty decent horror games (lost in vivo, spooky's jumpscare mansion, etc) released a pretty unique atmospheric horror-y game called Basilisk 2000 a bit ago. I watched a streamer play most of it and it's pretty cool, the premise is you're using a level editor to take a look at a lost never finished RPG that was a sequel to a fictional cult classic SNES game. You basically walk or noclip around early dev zones and find clues and and stuff in the environment or npc dialogue to find other map IDs and stuff to explore. I haven't seen the other shoe drop yet but it gets unsettling in a very natural way, it really does seem like an abandoned game which alot of these "haunted ROM" games don't.

https://akuma-kira.itch.io/basilisk-2000

It's 2 bucks so I recommend giving it a shot to anyone this appeals to.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The person behind a number of pretty decent horror games (lost in vivo, spooky's jumpscare mansion, etc) released a pretty unique atmospheric horror-y game called Basilisk 2000 a bit ago. I watched a streamer play most of it and it's pretty cool, the premise is you're using a level editor to take a look at a lost never finished RPG that was a sequel to a fictional cult classic SNES game. You basically walk or noclip around early dev zones and find clues and and stuff in the environment or npc dialogue to find other map IDs and stuff to explore. I haven't seen the other shoe drop yet but it gets unsettling in a very natural way, it really does seem like an abandoned game which alot of these "haunted ROM" games don't.

I picked this up on release day and had a fun bunch of hours digging around while on the discord. Well worth the two bucks.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

i watched tomato play this thing for like 4 hours and the other shoe never dropped, despite how hard tomato dug in. i'll be honest i ended up feeling kinda cheated just watching it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Coolguye posted:

i watched tomato play this thing for like 4 hours and the other shoe never dropped, despite how hard tomato dug in. i'll be honest i ended up feeling kinda cheated just watching it.

lol, that's exactly who I watched and I made that post about halfway thru his vod. felt insanely blueballed after The Office stuff didn't lead to anything past the workplace shooter version of it since he needed to wrap up and didn't explore much

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I am jumping on the Fear and Hunger band wagon. I really want to like this game: the atmosphere is great and from what I gather the lore is compelling but being sent back to the loving beginning over and over before you get to the first real story beat is harsh. Over the last day I have been trying to think of something to compare Fear and Hunger to and the games that come to mind first Dark Souls and Darkest Dungeon and both of those comparisons are wrong. I think the better comparison is Sunless Sea, which has a lot of the same strengths but where the permadeth just makes the game more frustrating than it needs to be.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
How do you feel about the severe anal bleeding status effect

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Discendo Vox posted:

How do you feel about the severe anal bleeding status effect

So far my rear end has not been violated.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Currently just over the half way point with my latest play through of Alien Isolation.

I have a couple of "die on this hill" observations about this game. They might not be hot takes or even particularly interesting, but this is where I land on Isolation during what must be my 4th run;

1.) The length & pacing of Isolation is fine. There are a couple of sections in the middle of the game which do verge on the longer, possibly more draining side, but I think the back half of the game moves at a fairly brisk pace once you get through them. I actually think the game does a pretty good job of mixing up threat levels and objectives, as well as moments - however brief - where taking the "loud" approach with the tools available to you is encouraged.

2.) The Working Joes are the scariest thing about this game, and I don't think it's even close. Everything about them - their aesthetic design, voice, line delivery, the way the back story of their shoddy, cheap and corner cut design is revealed to you - is deeply unsettling. At least on hard mode, they are also genuinely difficult to deal with. Other than horror enemies where your only defense is to run by design, I can't think of another enemy in gaming that elicits quite this same fight or flight response. Encounters with Working Joe's are a genuinely tense consideration as to whether you run or stand your ground. The Xeno might be a one-and-done kill if it gets hold of you, but the sections where it resumes center stage almost feel like a relief after some of the lengthier Working Joe areas.

3.) Creative Assembly went above and beyond with weapon feel. This is a game that has zero expectations as far as weaponry goes. Nobody is out here approaching this as an FPS. But.. these weapons feel really good? The shotgun is punchy as gently caress. It's real explosive. The bolt gun is one of gaming's true "revenge weapons". Powering this thing up and leathering a Working Joe square between the eyes with a bolt feels extremely satisfying after the previous couple of hours of being terrorised by them. The revolver is plenty punchy too and I love that the almost manual approach to reloading adds such a layer of tension. There's a real explosiveness to stuff like the EMP's and Molotovs too.

4.) Further to the above, the wait goes on for a genuinely good Aliens FPS, but I think Creative Assembly could have delivered one. A game like Colonial Marines (even ignoring the fact that it's dog poo poo) goes too far down the path of COD-ification. I think it's absolutely possible to take the Alien Isolation framework, give you a Pulse Rifle and Smartgun, and increase the Xeno count while keeping it scary without turning them into mindless fodder. There are tantalising hints of this even within Isolation, and I'll go to my grave insisting that it's not only possible but would also be really good.

5.) This is just a real modern classic, isn't it. 2014 was famously one of those gaming lean years (I recall GOTY being a washout that year) and Isolation didn't even really get its dues even in that context, but at the time I knew this would endure and I really think it has. We're approaching 10 years since release, and I think the list of games released in that time that get as much right as Isolation does is extremely short.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 10, 2023

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There are at least two genuinely good Alien FPS games so it's not without precedent but sure on the long list of awkward transitions to the next gen Isolation stands out as both a faithful adaption of a licensed property but also just a well crafted experience overall.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

al-azad posted:

There are at least two genuinely good Alien FPS games so it's not without precedent

..with or without Predators in?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Aliens: Fireteam Elite is a TPS so that doesn't really line up with FPS :v: No Predators though, although one elite (non-xenomorph) gets a form of biological optical camo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bumhead posted:

..with or without Predators in?

The predators come with the territory but if you really don't want to there are still 2/3 of very good games!

The way the AvP games handled light is still so overlooked in modern game design. The humans have to launch flares everywhere, aliens have cat-vision, predator has its awkward heat vision.

e: Rainbow 6: Alien is a dream game to me.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 10, 2023

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

side_burned posted:

I am jumping on the Fear and Hunger band wagon. I really want to like this game: the atmosphere is great and from what I gather the lore is compelling but being sent back to the loving beginning over and over before you get to the first real story beat is harsh. Over the last day I have been trying to think of something to compare Fear and Hunger to and the games that come to mind first Dark Souls and Darkest Dungeon and both of those comparisons are wrong. I think the better comparison is Sunless Sea, which has a lot of the same strengths but where the permadeth just makes the game more frustrating than it needs to be.

I literally ran around legless trying to figure out my next steps after clearing everything in the first 3 floors with no way to progress. I eventually just had to give up and start over. I guess I missed a key somewhere because there was no way to progress at all.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

al-azad posted:

The predators come with the territory but if you really don't want to there are still 2/3 of very good games!

The way the AvP games handled light is still so overlooked in modern game design. The humans have to launch flares everywhere, aliens have cat-vision, predator has its awkward heat vision.

e: Rainbow 6: Alien is a dream game to me.

The AVP games also had a loving fantastic humans vs aliens vs predators mode, where a good predator player was ridiculously powerful, but a squad of humans was almost impossible to attack head on. Aliens kinda got shafted but sneaky ones could still do cool poo poo, i really loved it.

Maybe its nostalgia talking.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Alien(tm) shooters are somewhat held back by its iconography. Isolation's weapons were all punchy because they were conventional guns. Lets face it, the pulse rifle sounds like a car with a bad starter trying to turn over.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 10, 2023

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

al-azad posted:

AvP 64 on the Jaguar has such weird balance - predator vision modes are eye-bleedingly ugly and hard to use, but you have to use them if you want to cloak. They are your 'punishment', so you don't have too easy of a time.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

side_burned posted:

I'm having fun with it so far. I dunno if it's the difficulty selection or what, but there are basolutely ways to save?
That's what I've been doing: run around for like 10-15 minutes, go to the bed, save. I've been playing for 2 hours so maybe later locations just have nowhere to save, though. Sure, saving is a literal coin toss, but so far it's never been that punishing even if you miss it: resulting in either not saving or a simple guard spawning (who you can easily beat by cutting off arm with a weapon, then another arm, then his dick-arm, then going for legs)
I've gotten to Caverns so far and got mauled by a giant titty-bird. I like all the ways the game punishes you because they all feel unique and kinda fun, making me want to push my luck.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Its better to think of the first Fear & Hunger as more of a roguelike where you die fast but gain more information to help you not die as fast next time.

Hell, your first runs will almost certainly end with you being mauled to death by dogs within two minutes of starting.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Has anyone played Bramble? I loved both Little Nightmares games and weird fairy tales are my jam so it sounds like it would kick as but I’ve heard pretty much nothing about it since it released.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I played the PS5 demo, I liked it enough that I'll buy it one day on sale. About the only thing that irked me was a stealth segment against a giant monster that required you to traverse a cliffside while hiding in front of rolling rocks. Get spotted or hit, restart the segment. This of course is right near the end of the demo and leads to a chase/slide down a raging river, culminating with going over a waterfall and a "Thanks for playing!" message.

I think you don't hear much about it because from what I could tell it's 100% linear and there's nothing in the game mechanics that's doing anything new. The graphics were nice, it controlled fine, and it's the northern European forest answer to Little Nightmares' creepy surreal ship. If you're a fan of LN and want something else that plays like it I'm sure it'll scratch the itch.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Agent Escalus posted:

I played the PS5 demo, I liked it enough that I'll buy it one day on sale. About the only thing that irked me was a stealth segment against a giant monster that required you to traverse a cliffside while hiding in front of rolling rocks. Get spotted or hit, restart the segment. This of course is right near the end of the demo and leads to a chase/slide down a raging river, culminating with going over a waterfall and a "Thanks for playing!" message.

I watched a good chunk of a playthrough via Gab Smolders, and it looks like a nice atmospheric game, but this sort of segment gets repeated a lot with different theming (hide behind rocks from something looking for you, hide behind rocks from shockwaves, hide behind trees from spooky boss, etc). Regardless, there's enough creativity in theme and gameplay design to the rest of the game that I'd consider getting it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I actually think Bramble is a better designed Little Nightmares, not in an aesthetic sense but actual core gameplay is much breezier and better balanced. Too often LN does the hub-and-spoke approach to puzzle design where you have to go off in three different directions to assemble a key to open the main area and this leads to a lot of padding while Bramble is very linear continuous set piece. It does mean Bramble is a condensed game, probably around 3 hours with a scattering of hidden collectibles, which I would say it's closer to Brothers A Tale of Two Sons than LN specifically.

The final boss is also an epic rendition of In the Hall of the Mountain King.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

al-azad posted:

The final boss is also an epic rendition of In the Hall of the Mountain King.

In a game called Bramble: The Mountain King, I feel like this needs to be the first thing that's even developed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

In case someone was wondering about how Endless Dark plays, Tomato streamed it yesterday and, imho, did an absolutely outstanding job of showing it off:
https://twitch.tv/videos/1819999081

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

That is not the Tomato I expected

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

That is not the Tomato I expected

i'm gonna be real the person who will always be tomato to me is the translator who was involved in the romhacking community in the late 90s and early 2000s and translated star ocean and tales of phantasia

i've had to reprogram my brain on that name like 4 times now

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Coolguye posted:

i'm gonna be real the person who will always be tomato to me is the translator who was involved in the romhacking community in the late 90s and early 2000s and translated star ocean and tales of phantasia

i've had to reprogram my brain on that name like 4 times now

The Mother 3 translation, for me.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

may as well mention if you haven't seen that DSR's 20% off on steam right now, so if you wanted to give it a try without paying top dollar, now's your chance

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So The Outlast Trials entered early access yesterday. And I was watching Tomato play it and it was honestly wild how quick I went from "This is so stupid, why did they make a MP Outlast game, why is it like knock off bioshock aesthetically" to "holy poo poo this game is awesome/hilarious" the second he left the tutorial and went into an actual level.

Now, the game does not seem actually scary at all but it does look entertaining to the point that it made me and a couple friends instantly buy it to play ourselves lol.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I had no idea the Outlast Trials was multiplayer. It's a class based...stealth game? I'd be happy to be proven wrong but I've played games like that and they tend to turn into a nightmare because four people are less stealthy that one.

But hey if you can distract enemies to draw them away a la Dead by Daylight I can see it working.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Who is tomato

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Wait so is Outlast Trials an asymmetric multiplayer game, of a L4D-like focussed around stealth? I thought it was the former.