Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Quiet Feet posted:

It's frustrating because I don't have it and it feels like I'm running the only decks in the world without it. So many good decks include it and there is literally nothing remotely comparable to replace it with.

Pure paladin doesn't run it, and that deck is tier 1/2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Astalor is in a lot of decks, but he’s the 25-30th best card in a lot of them. I expect him to start getting cut from lists once the miniset and next expansion raise the overall power level of the format.

Honestly, I like that Astalor is there to threaten decks that can just clear boards over and over.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

bravesword posted:

Astalor is in a lot of decks, but he’s the 25-30th best card in a lot of them. I expect him to start getting cut from lists once the miniset and next expansion raise the overall power level of the format.

Honestly, I like that Astalor is there to threaten decks that can just clear boards over and over.

I could not agree more. Astalor goes into decks because there aren't better options right now, not because he is one of the best cards. I won a game earlier against a totem shaman with final level astalor, but I would rather have had a better card that helped me win before turn 10.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Our gift of Fire empowers us

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Mayveena posted:

Pure paladin doesn't run it, and that deck is tier 1/2.

I get not every deck has it but a lot of them do? :shrug:

I'm rotating between three different decks now: a hunter deck which I enjoy but sucks against the current meta; a blood DK deck that has about 3/4s of the listed cards and is making do with spare parts and now has a 45% win rate; and a variant on a pure paladin deck that doesn't have The Countess or Purator.

The paladin one works (8-6 with it) but honestly it's not fun to play? Games seem to go the exact same way every time. I think a lot of it has to do with Order in the Court, which means your draws each match are very similar. I will say I loved the one time Kangor pulled Annoy-O-Troupe out and my opponent instantly conceded. He probably could've still won that one.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Our gift of Fire empowers us

i wish it didn't

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Quiet Feet posted:

a hunter deck which I enjoy but sucks against the current meta

I have been donating ranks with Face Hunter because I enjoy it, but I can't buy a win. Some of that is getting high rolled (turns out Voone is really good when it costs 3 less and copies Putricide and Crabatoa!) and some of it is that paladin is everywhere and hits so, so, many taunts.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Astalor’s biggest crime is his theme.

Bloodsworn is used as his name, which is fine, but his other two variants are titles, not his name, and thus leaves out any kind of Arcane relation. He says he casts Arcane Bolt as his attack sound, but wouldn’t that be his battlecry?

The Protector now is a title referencing what he does, which is frost themed armor okay. Also he says he casts Frostbolt, which really doesn’t line up with his effect or damage stats.

But now The Flamebringer is a lot more literal and completes a trifecta of card names without a theme because it more directly relates to his fire element. Also, it does damage again as an effect, but this time it is split, which is actually already established as an Arcane mechanic with Missiles! His attack sound is also bizarrely Flamestrike and not a more fitting single target fire spell, which seems like it might be a reference to his battlecry, but that doesn’t seem to be how Frost works.

Seems like he was originally designed as a draw a card, armor, pyroblast effect to match Arcane/Frost/Fire but suffered from too many redesigns. Also possibly went through a 2/3/4 damage spell progression version with Arcane Bolt/Frostbolt/Flamestrike.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Disargeria posted:

Also, it does damage again as an effect, but this time it is split, which is actually already established as an Arcane mechanic with Missiles!

TBF split damage has been a fire thing too. Mostly with shaman spells like Volcano and Don’t Stand in the Fire, but also some mage cards like Flamewaker

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

TBF split damage has been a fire thing too. Mostly with shaman spells like Volcano and Don’t Stand in the Fire, but also some mage cards like Flamewaker

Cinderstorm too.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Tin Tim posted:

Alternative is to just mash through the draft and retire right away for a pack and a tiny bit of dust/gold

i actually am kinda upset that i've never done this... all those packs just lost with every battle pass ugh.

hermyownee
Jun 5, 2011
Re arena - HearthArena has a draft helper that shows you relative card rankings and adjusts those rankings based on what you've already put in your deck. Can't really speak to how effective it is tho as I'm pretty much mobile only.

I'm surprised everyone is so down on arena. Sometimes you get lovely drafts and/or matched against insane decks, but that's directly comparable with bad/good draws on ladder imho.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

fanny packrat posted:

I have been donating ranks with Face Hunter because I enjoy it, but I can't buy a win. Some of that is getting high rolled (turns out Voone is really good when it costs 3 less and copies Putricide and Crabatoa!) and some of it is that paladin is everywhere and hits so, so, many taunts.

VS says face hunter is the most powerful deck in the meta but hardly anyone is playing it - maybe look at their list?

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

The Lord Bude posted:

VS says face hunter is the most powerful deck in the meta but hardly anyone is playing it - maybe look at their list?

Yeah, I tried their list a bit yesterday. My section of the meta is mostly bad matchups with lots of blood DK, control priest, and pure paladin. Also been seeing a ton of freeze mages who have infinite Alibis. If I wanted to climb I would probably play Druid, but I just like Face Hunter.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

you can tell astalor is bad because if it gets played against you it isn't frustrating.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I think I’m cycling back to Druid as my preferred grinding class too after playing big DH and pure pally for a bit. And I can’t get spell DH to work for me at all.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I can't imagine why recycling Alibi as a concept made it through testing; It's such a dissatisfying event for both players.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

When Mercenaries mode ended, they added the Mythic Boss Rush mode where you could take a team of mercs and fight a higher and higher scaling set of five Mercenaries end bosses in a row each week for more coins to upgrade your mercs. There is an achievement for completing Mythic with level 500 bosses (normal Mercenaries progression stops at level 30). Last week was the first week where, if you were rushing at maximum level each week, you could reach and challenge level 500 bosses. This week, it turns out, that level 500 isn't the 'end' and the mode will keep scaling beyond that presumable forever. With no additional rewards, obviously. And the 'reward' for doing it is an achievement that nobody else will ever see. But you can keep scaling!

And some very strange people are still doing that. Never play Mercenaries.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
How do you play against Pozzik? Ignore it and let the opponent worry about trying to summon the bots? Or prioritize playing the bots you get? I find doing that super disruptive to my own game plan. I don't see any silences being run to deal with it, is it not as good a card as I feel it is?

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Pozzik is a strong tempo play. He's weak against already strong board states, but if you don't have the right tools he's expensive to remove effectively. Your best bet is to measure it against your removal and tempo options and see if you can at least trade a bot+removal against him.

A T3 coined Pozzik is pretty rough and you might be better just eating the damage to the face if you think you can stabilize the board next turn. Or try to slow him down with cheap taunts until you can reverse the tempo.

Disargeria fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 5, 2023

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm playing it now and went like 5-1 today, only losing to a Warrior who I got down to one health that then gained like 25 armor.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

victorious posted:

How do you play against Pozzik? Ignore it and let the opponent worry about trying to summon the bots? Or prioritize playing the bots you get? I find doing that super disruptive to my own game plan. I don't see any silences being run to deal with it, is it not as good a card as I feel it is?

Pozzik is surprisingly good in the Wild meta but I don't seem to run into any other people running it so ??? how to play against it. The best Pozzik strat is to run it yourself.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Yeah I was trying out the VS face hunter list (which seems quite unfocused) and I couldn't figure out what to do against Pozzik in other aggro decks especially when I had my own as well.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
yea arena is actually the worst mode right now. it's full of dks, warriors, and priests. imagine every game going for 15+ min. with people roping out literally one / two cards repeatedly.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

NorgLyle posted:

And some very strange people are still doing that. Never play Mercenaries.

Mercs is good for me when I get a "play x class/class spells" or "play 2 games or bounties" daily because I can knock that out in ten minutes as I don't touch the traditional game, only battlegrounds

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Sat down for the free bird achievement. Got all prepared with mana reductions and copy effects planning to set up that otk. Turns out that was entirely unnecessary as I just queued into a mage that durdled instead of competing for board and got the killing blow with a 3/3 birb.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I love how their solution for balancing arena was to give bridge riff, an epic card, a draft rate around the same level as a normal (white rarity) card, so beyond like 5/6 wins every warrior deck runs at least three

Feels great to be ahead and then immediately lose tempo to back to back bridge riffs followed up by a loving clown car of tidal revenants

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I just played 4 Scargill, 2 Mutanus, Megafin, 2 Cookie the Cook, Old Murk-Eye, and Sir Finley, Sea Guide all in one game. Not in that order obviously. Beat a RenoLock. RenoLock is still solid but no one ever really plays it anymore?

Rematch:

https://hsreplay.net/replay/XAKCMMQCSrGHjBxVCbvfuN

My deck:

### Sir Finley, Clown
# Class: Shaman
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Murloc Tidecaller
# 1x (1) Sir Finley Mrrgglton
# 1x (1) Sir Finley, Sea Guide
# 2x (1) Spawnpool Forager
# 2x (1) Toxfin
# 1x (1) Unite the Murlocs
# 2x (2) Amalgam of the Deep
# 1x (2) Firemancer Flurgl
# 2x (2) Underbelly Angler
# 2x (3) Clownfish
# 2x (3) Murloc Warleader
# 2x (3) Nofin Can Stop Us
# 2x (4) Murlocula
# 1x (4) Old Murk-Eye
# 1x (4) Scargil
# 2x (4) Tidelost Burrower
# 1x (5) Gorloc Ravager
# 1x (5) Rotgill
# 2x (7) Everyfin is Awesome
#
AAEBAc+LBQjgBYQXm8QCnJsDqO4D5bAE1bIE9KAFC78XjJQDtZgD3ewDlfADq6AEssEEws4Exc4E7tMEy+IEAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

And what I suspect is a superior RenoLock:

### Reno Warlock
# Class: Warlock
#
# 1x (0) Raise Dead
# 1x (1) Kobold Librarian
# 1x (1) Sir Finley, Sea Guide
# 1x (1) Touch of the Nathrezim
# 1x (2) Arson Accusation
# 1x (2) Astalor Bloodsworn
# 1x (2) Defile
# 1x (2) Dirty Rat
# 1x (2) Drain Soul
# 1x (2) Felstring Harp
# 1x (2) Zephrys the Great
# 1x (3) Backfire
# 1x (3) Brann Bronzebeard
# 1x (3) Dark Skies
# 1x (3) Full-Blown Evil
# 1x (3) Hellfire
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 1x (3) Zola the Gorgon
# 1x (4) E.T.C., Band Manager
# 1x (5) Cataclysm
# 1x (5) Gorloc Ravager
# 1x (6) Skulking Geist
# 1x (4) Hysteria
# 1x (4) Immolate
# 1x (4) Kazakus
# 1x (4) Seadevil Stinger
# 1x (4) Soul Rend
# 1x (4) Spice Bread Baker
# 1x (5) Cataclysm
# 1x (5) Gorloc Ravager
# 1x (5) Opera Soloist
# 1x (5) Rin, Orchestrator of Doom
# 1x (6) Entitled Customer
# 1x (6) Reno Jackson
# 1x (6) Symphony of Sins
# 1x (6) Theotar, the Mad Duke
# 1x (6) Tickatus
# 1x (7) Dar'Khan Drathir
# 1x (7) Lord Godfrey
# 1x (7) Mutanus the Devourer
# 1x (8) Gigafin
# 1x (8) Twisting Nether
# 1x (9) Lord Jaraxxus
#
AAEBAcn1AijDFoUX2LsC870C38QC58sC8tACzukCnPgC/KMD66wD184DzuED+OMDk+QD2O0Dpu8DwPkDgvsDg/sDj58Eg6AEhaAE56AE26ME5bAE1bIE9ccE9c4EltQEuNkEsu0El+8EzpIF4qQFga0F38IF/cQF9MYF+cYFAAABA6DOAv3EBc7pAv3EBdWyBP3EBQAA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Man, DH is everywhere at Gold 5-1. Like more than 25% of my matches. Snooze.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Okay, Menagerie Warrior is restoring my sanity a little, after such a downer. That’s the kind of ‘Come up with your own solution’ deck I like, where you’re threading the needle turn after turn until surprise here comes multiple One Man Amalgam Bands.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Shockeh posted:

Okay, Menagerie Warrior is restoring my sanity a little, after such a downer. That’s the kind of ‘Come up with your own solution’ deck I like, where you’re threading the needle turn after turn until surprise here comes multiple One Man Amalgam Bands.

One Man Amalgam makes the Murloc discover pool a lot more fun.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I just won 3 games in a row with anachronos. Silencing and clearing a big board leaving your big minion is so powerful against undead priest or any of the fast paced minion heavy decks.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Big Demon Hunter is hella fun, even if it is extremely prone to unfortunate mulligans/draws.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Anyone else on Android having problems with game stability? I have been getting multiple DCs per game (sometimes more than one per turn) and seemingly random freezes (both during a match and when building decks). I have a decent phone (Pixel 7), but this morning the collection manager froze about a half dozen times while I was trying to build a deck. Completely unresponsive, just a dead app.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
My iPhone/iPad will DC and eventually crash if I wander around the house and hit a different wifi spot, even tho it’s on the same SSID. Just have to switch to cellular in that case. It’s been that way for years :/

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Szarrukin posted:

Big Demon Hunter is hella fun, even if it is extremely prone to unfortunate mulligans/draws.

Agree. That being said; I wish I could figure out how to make spell DH work. That looks cool too but I have no idea what the gently caress I’m supposed to be doing with it and I’ve lost every game I’ve tried with it.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Did you know that Power Slider works with Warsong Commander? And that at 10 mana you can run One-Amalgam band into Charge?

Think there's something there and there's going to be a bunch of Warsong shenanigans to come.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Nybble posted:

My iPhone/iPad will DC and eventually crash if I wander around the house and hit a different wifi spot, even tho it’s on the same SSID. Just have to switch to cellular in that case. It’s been that way for years :/

I'm staying in the same place, and it happens on wifi or cellular. I can't imagine what is making the collection manager unstable.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

GTO posted:

I just won 3 games in a row with anachronos. Silencing and clearing a big board leaving your big minion is so powerful against undead priest or any of the fast paced minion heavy decks.

I love watching people empty their hand to spam a full board and then lose it all while I happily sit there with some saved up post-anachronos minions in hand. The board clear and the big body are delightful but being able to plan for it far better than your opponent can can seriously imbalance a game. It corrupts carousel griffon, pulled by purator, cheated out with blood crusader, followed on the same turn by lightray, etc. I would rate it the most powerful card in this deck:

### Pure Poetry
# Class: Paladin
# Year of the Wolf
#
# 2x (1) Righteous Protector
# 2x (1) Sanguine Soldier
# 2x (2) Class Action Lawyer
# 1x (2) Murgur Murgurgle
# 2x (3) Alliance Bannerman
# 2x (3) Knight of the Dead
# 2x (3) Service Bell
# 1x (3) Stonehearth Vindicator
# 2x (4) Lightforged Zealot
# 2x (5) Carousel Gryphon
# 2x (5) Elitist Snob
# 1x (5) The Purator
# 2x (6) Blood Crusader
# 1x (7) Anachronos
# 1x (7) Kangor's Endless Army
# 1x (7) The Countess
# 1x (7) The Leviathan
# 1x (8) High Exarch Yrel
# 2x (10) Lightray
#
AAEBAZ8FCPH+Avy4A4jeA/mkBLCyBIbiBK+TBYWlBQucrgON4QPw9gPJoATi0wSB4gS55ATy7QSBlgW7lwX/pAUAAA==
#
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

fanny packrat posted:

I'm staying in the same place, and it happens on wifi or cellular. I can't imagine what is making the collection manager unstable.

It's just because the ipad version is really, really bad