Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

that's wild as I felt the pacing was perfect and did like 3 runs

:shrug: different strokes for different folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I finally got I Was A Teenage Exocolonist after being interested in it for a while and it is really good! However, and this is a really petty gripe, but I hate that responses are in all caps. I have a brain worm that makes me read all caps dialog :byodood: LIKE SOMEONE IS SHOUTING CONSTANTLY :byodood:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Was browsing through Steam's suggestion Queue for the first time in ages, and one title caught my eye so I tabbed back to it. Some hack-n-slash thingie, noticed as I watched the gameplay video that it had a pile of DLC and thought to myself "hrm, must have been around for a while now, wonder how I missed it?" then as I scrolled down the 'recent news' part of the page had a recent post titled "launch day known issues...". Laughed, hit the next button for the queue.

Like seriously, what the gently caress is the modern games industry, everyone keeps talking about it being a golden age with the wealth of choices, but send me back to the dark times please if meant that I only had 3 titles to pick from each year, but they where polished, bug-free, finished games at the very least...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Games also had like, two things you could do and were self published or weren't as much of a dickrider on releasing games by a date because of promises to angel investors

IDK maybe like, if you can't afford it, maybe just don't make the videogame

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Serephina posted:

send me back to the dark times please if meant that I only had 3 titles to pick from each year, but they where polished, bug-free, finished games at the very least...

There have always been buggy PC games, including very prominent titles, it's just a little more egregious lately.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Plenty of games were rushed out to meet investor (i.e. publisher) deadlines in those alleged glory days. KOTOR II was famously released literally unfinished (as in you get to a certain point in the game and it just ends, and then some text screens tell you what happened next as far as I remember) to meet the Christmas season.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Volte posted:

Plenty of games were rushed out to meet investor (i.e. publisher) deadlines in those alleged glory days. KOTOR II was famously released literally unfinished (as in you get to a certain point in the game and it just ends, and then some text screens tell you what happened next as far as I remember) to meet the Christmas season.

Earlier than that, Xenogears as well had that problem.

Orv
May 4, 2011
In the olden days you also didn’t have much chance if a game released just utterly jacked up of it receiving super meaningful post-launch support. Two, three, five patches, not much more and most of them targeting what they could and not always what was needed. There’s not a gigantic sweeping fan patch for every beloved classic RPG because people love to create work for themselves in their leisure hobby (usually anyway, Bloodlines patch person aside.)

It’s not better now but it wasn’t better then either.

E: Also the hypercapitalist nature of video game development and success anywhere above very lucky, very tiny indie studios means that as games get infinitely more complex and detail driven but the Extremely poo poo nature of studio management and money people stays inflexible with insane dates and sales expectations games are going to keep getting more broken on release until we hit some kind of tipping point where everything comes out in a Cyberpunk 2077 state.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 8, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jack Trades posted:

Omega Strikers hit 1.0 recently
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1869590/Omega_Strikers/

It's a 3v3 Windjammers-like that I have been having a ton of fun with lately, especially together with some of my friends.
A big recommend.
hi I want to thank you for posting about this because this game loving rules

https://i.imgur.com/fvIdj9C.mp4

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

first time in a very long time i've enjoyed a competitive game, to boot. maybe because matches're so short there's not enough time to get invested into any one match :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh god am I a Windjammers purist is that something I care about gently caress

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Orv posted:

In the olden days you also didn’t have much chance if a game released just utterly jacked up of it receiving super meaningful post-launch support. Two, three, five patches, not much more and most of them targeting what they could and not always what was needed. There’s not a gigantic sweeping fan patch for every beloved classic RPG because people love to create work for themselves in their leisure hobby (usually anyway, Bloodlines patch person aside.)

It’s not better now but it wasn’t better then either.

E: Also the hypercapitalist nature of video game development and success anywhere above very lucky, very tiny indie studios means that as games get infinitely more complex and detail driven but the Extremely poo poo nature of studio management and money people stays inflexible with insane dates and sales expectations games are going to keep getting more broken on release until we hit some kind of tipping point where everything comes out in a Cyberpunk 2077 state.
Yeah, games may be releasing more and more in unfinished/rushed-to-completion states because deadlines have not kept up with increasing game complexity and scope, but a game that releases in a less-than-ideal state nowadays is in more of a position to get post-launch support.

Really, this is the era of cool indie games though. I've spent more money on stuff by a couple of folks working out of someone's garage than on AAA games in the past few years.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Orv posted:

Oh god am I a Windjammers purist is that something I care about gently caress

I recommend trying it out. it doesn't quite feel like windjammers in practice but the idea is similar and it's fun

Orv
May 4, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I recommend trying it out. it doesn't quite feel like windjammers in practice but the idea is similar and it's fun

Oh yeah it doesn’t matter in the slightest it looks very cool with some good ideas it was just jarring to realize my immediate reaction was “Hold on that’s not how Windjammers works :mad:”. :cripes:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Orv posted:

Oh yeah it doesn’t matter in the slightest it looks very cool with some good ideas it was just jarring to realize my immediate reaction was “Hold on that’s not how Windjammers works :mad:”. :cripes:
lol

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

windjammers-likes are just ponglites

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, games may be releasing more and more in unfinished/rushed-to-completion states because deadlines have not kept up with increasing game complexity and scope, but a game that releases in a less-than-ideal state nowadays is in more of a position to get post-launch support.

Really, this is the era of cool indie games though. I've spent more money on stuff by a couple of folks working out of someone's garage than on AAA games in the past few years.

Pretty much, While I'll grant you that the AAA space is pretty loving dire right now the indie scene is probably the best it's ever been with bangers coming out on the regular. Hell, the last dozen or so pages have been flooded with Goons gushing over a $20 Indie Detective game over complaining about the most recent $70 AAA POS game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

hi I want to thank you for posting about this because this game loving rules

https://i.imgur.com/fvIdj9C.mp4

Good character choice.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hwurmp posted:

windjammers-likes are just ponglites

I thought you said poglites and was deeply confused.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Unlucky7 posted:

So I finally got I Was A Teenage Exocolonist after being interested in it for a while and it is really good! However, and this is a really petty gripe, but I hate that responses are in all caps. I have a brain worm that makes me read all caps dialog :byodood: LIKE SOMEONE IS SHOUTING CONSTANTLY :byodood:

This makes me insane too!

I'm eyeballing Shin chan: Me and the Professor on Summer Vacation: The Endless Seven-Day Journey since it's on sale on gamesplanet. I am only passingly familiar with the cartoon the main character comes from and don't know the game series it's an extension of. Is it fun? Cute? Relaxing? It *looks* fun and cute and relaxing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The Summer Vacation games are well known for being cozy and cute, though a few stray into cartoony silliness and I would expect the Shin-chan one to have its moments. FWIW I think one of the mainline games got a translation somewhat recently.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Serephina posted:

Was browsing through Steam's suggestion Queue for the first time in ages, and one title caught my eye so I tabbed back to it. Some hack-n-slash thingie, noticed as I watched the gameplay video that it had a pile of DLC and thought to myself "hrm, must have been around for a while now, wonder how I missed it?" then as I scrolled down the 'recent news' part of the page had a recent post titled "launch day known issues...". Laughed, hit the next button for the queue.

Like seriously, what the gently caress is the modern games industry, everyone keeps talking about it being a golden age with the wealth of choices, but send me back to the dark times please if meant that I only had 3 titles to pick from each year, but they where polished, bug-free, finished games at the very least...

drat you sound old as hell dude

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

HopperUK posted:

This makes me insane too!

I'm eyeballing Shin chan: Me and the Professor on Summer Vacation: The Endless Seven-Day Journey since it's on sale on gamesplanet. I am only passingly familiar with the cartoon the main character comes from and don't know the game series it's an extension of. Is it fun? Cute? Relaxing? It *looks* fun and cute and relaxing.

Here's everything you could ever need to know about boku no natsuyasumi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=779coR-XPTw

boku no natsuyasumi

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

fez_machine posted:

Here's everything you could ever need to know about boku no natsuyasumi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=779coR-XPTw

boku no natsuyasumi

thank you

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Serephina posted:

Idunno man, games were buggy as hell/unfinished back in the day too.

Off the top of my head, 2001 Pool of Radiance deleted critical windows files when uninstalled. A ton of items and spells did nothing/the wrong thing in Baldur's Gate and the ToB expansion was supposed to be a third game. Alpha Centauri had lots of similar issues under the hood where bonuses did nothing. Kotor 2 (and Kotor 1 but it was all sidequests so people didn't notice) had a massive amount of content cut.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Old PC games were buggy as poo poo, even when the only way to distribute patches was to physically mail people floppy disks

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Tiny Timbs posted:

Old PC games were buggy as poo poo, even when the only way to distribute patches was to physically mail people floppy disks

There was just a much lower expectation for things to work imo. When something didn't work on old PC games it was a case of "are you sure it isn't your fault? Are you *super* sure?" because it was still clunky as gently caress to install anything.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thinking back, the solution for quite a few older games was simply to cut the unfinished or bugged content out whereas now its left in and patched later.

Or there were a shitload of bugs that weren't noticed and never patched. Either because they were errors one would only notice when metagaming or edge cases like how you can break quests in weird ways in a lot of western rpgs.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, more that software development, project management and rushed deadlines are a mess that will never be solved entirely.

E: The back half of Dark Souls is bodged together with unfinished assets and placeholders.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 8, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Fruits of the sea posted:

Thinking back, the solution for quite a few older games was simply to cut the unfinished or bugged content out whereas now its left in and patched later.

Or there were a shitload of bugs that weren't noticed and never patched. Either because they were errors one would only notice when metagaming or edge cases like how you can break quests in weird ways in a lot of western rpgs.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, more that software development, project management and rushed deadlines are a mess that will never be solved entirely.

The first part is definitely part of it, being able to fix it in post creates this idea of "it'll surely take people weeks to reach that point so we can fix it before they get there." You see that in mmos a lot where they underestimate the poopsockers and end up having to cobble together the bridge as people drive over the edge at 100 MPH.

But also, games used to be a lot less complex too. You don't have as many graphical glitches when your graphics are basically 2D sprites. It's only mechanical issues that really stand out and those are easier to find and diagnose.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

CuddleCryptid posted:

There was just a much lower expectation for things to work imo. When something didn't work on old PC games it was a case of "are you sure it isn't your fault? Are you *super* sure?" because it was still clunky as gently caress to install anything.

It’s crazy how much Steam has let us all take all this stuff for granted.

If you’re not modding anything you can get away without ever even seeing a folder and file structure for games now, as proven by things Big Picture mode and the Steam Deck. That’s kinda crazy to think about, I think.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I remember the days of having to go to sites like fileplanet to manually download video game patches. That poo poo sucked!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

God yeah I remember the time where one of the bigger reasons to buy various game magazines was because they came with a CD loaded with a bunch of patches for currently popular games. Sure don't miss that.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I guess the early access model has lowered the barrier to entry and allowed a lot of games onto Steam that would otherwise have been canned somewhere in development. Sometimes the developers slap a 1.0 label on the final patch and leave it to rot.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Seminal ZX Spectrum platformer 'Jet Set Willy' released in 1984 with no less than four game-breaking bugs. The devs lied and said the bugged level was just very difficult, and then had to retract that and published POKES in magazines so you could fix your game yourself.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

yeah i don't wanna be all sweet summer child here but the golden age of vidoe games sucked asssss compared to now.

I can't remember the last time there was a noticeable bug in a game i bought off steam, that wasn't fixed by downloading a graphics driver or w/e.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You used to just write off games as "yeah this one doesn't get sound," or "I have the wrong GPU for this one."

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Nah, I'll just tinker yet another set of AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS and it'll work out. Like, this is a keyboard game, it totally doesn't need that stupid mouse driver and I'm now 43kB of conventional memory closer to whatever the game requires! Now if I could switch the sound card's IRQ...

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I owned Brink yeah bugs sucked rear end then too

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Earlier than that, Xenogears as well had that problem.

Xenogears came out in Japan in February 1998.

I think Tetsuya Takahashi clarified that situation earlier this year in an interview for the game’s 25th anniversary. At the time Square gave developers up to 2 years to make games. He had a lot of recent college graduates on his team, so they needed time to learn the development tools. The first disc took most of that time, and when it was done there was only about 2-3 months left to finish the story. Square higher ups said he could just release the game as it was, but Takahashi didn’t want it to end with a cliffhanger so that’s why disc 2 is the way it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I remember ordering Sierra games through the mail and having no idea if they would even work because I didn’t know what the system specs were on the family computer.