Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Well, after dropping the game for roughly a month to get back to modded Skyrim, I picked up Morrowind again last night to run through the rest of Bloodmoon.

I left off right as you get the quest from the Skaal leader to visit all the stones to prove your loyalty. Traveling around to do that reminded me of something I wanted to complain about, which may be mildly controversial. I know Morrowind is praised for not relying on quest markers to point you towards you objective, and I think half the time it does that fine. However, the other half of the time, the directions you get aren't super-specific, and so you spend a long time wandering around trying to find specifically where you're meant to go. Some of the directions from the Skaal stones are like that, so I used the map on the UESP to help figure out exactly where the stones are, since the map scroll you get really only shows you the general area.

I think the two best examples, good and bad, come back-to-back in the main quest. You get tasked with visiting the Urshilaku camp, and are given specific directions on what path to get there.

quote:

Nuleno Tedas gave me directions to Urshilaku camp. The camp is due north from Maar Gan, but high ridges lie in the way. Follow Foyada Bani-Dad, a deep ravine just north of Maar Gan, northwest to the sea. A shipwreck at the seamouth of the ravine is a landmark. Swim east around the headland. Pass east through the ruins of Assurnabitashpi Shrine. Urshilaku Camp lies east of the ruins, inland in a low hollow.

I followed these directions, referring to the journal to keep track, and it was very satisfying.

However, right after that, you get directed to the Urshilaku Burial Caverns, and get directions that have you take a roundabout way to get to the caverns. The UESP even states this:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Meet_Sul-Matuul posted:

Directions to the Urshilaku Burial Caverns are given, but can be rather confusing, and take you there via a pointlessly long route. Ignore them, and head south-southeast from the camp for a short distance; if you reach Abinabi cave, go east. Note that the actual map name of the site is Urshilaku, Astral Burial (the chamber where you enter the caverns).

The first set of direction work well, because if you were to try and take a straight line to the Urshilaku camp, you'd have to cross over mountains, which you might not be able to do if you don't have Levitate at that point. However, you can easily take a straight line to the caverns, since it's largely flat all the way there.

But here's the thing about navigation that I don't really see brought up all that much. There was a quest I was given in Sadith Mora or somewhere, and they tell you to find a tomb or something that's northeast from a stronghold, and they mark the stronghold on your map. The game actually does this a few times with some places you're tasked to visit.

However, it highlights a big issue with the navigation. On the local map, you can double-click on spot to add pins and write notes, and on the world map, hovering over pin will show you the notes you made in those areas. The issue is that it will only show those notes on the world map if there's a pre-existing pin for them. You cannot add notes on the world map, so if you want to make note a particular ruin or something that's off in wilderness, you'll have to travel to that general area and pan around the local map to try and find it again.

I think if you're against quest markers, then having a note system like that to help triangulate where you want to go would help a lot. However, with how it's implemented, it's doesn't work as well as it could.

-

Getting back to Bloodmoon, I agree with what someone said about it not being real well balanced. I had max stats in things like Strength, Long Blade, etc. and my gear loadout consisted of Trueflame, and mixed set of Daedric and Ebony armor. I was able to take out enemies pretty quickly, but in large groups (mostly the Riekling Raiders), they were able to take a good chunk out of my health. It feels ill-fitting, because after the main game and Tribunal, you opponents well like a step down, since it's largely just bears, boars, wolves, draugr, and Nord Berserkers with trash gear for this point of the game. It's weird, because it seems like you'd need to be high level to survive, but the spoils you get are not fitting toward that. (I know earlier, someone posted their mods that tweak it so that the expansions are more mid-game content, with Red Mountain being something you don't tackle until endgame). The impression I get is that Bloodmoon is maybe designed to be more of a survival challenge (where the reward is the satisfaction of overcoming it) but I dunno. There was a point where I started giving a wide berth to enemies, or levitating just so I didn't have to deal with them.

I was anticipating the final quest (Hircine's Hunt), and I came somewhat prepared. Before I started the expansion, I trained my Alchemy to max, and did the Fortify INT trick so I could make a bunch of OP potions that could help me overcome it (ex. Health Potions that healed 52pts for 147 secs; and Strength potions that boosted it up 242 (for a total of 342) for 718 secs). However, it was still kind of a hurdle to overcome, just because the maze sections throw a ton of werewolves at you, and they can tank a lot of hits, and can still get a lot of hits in on you. I couldn't save Captain Carius (tried reloading a few times, but I didn't have any 'Heal Other' spells, so I gave up after he died the third or fourth time), and I was trying not to completely cheese things by immediately downing all the potions I had. I think I only needed one or two health potions, and I downed one of the three Strength potions I had to help take down the werewolves faster, but I didn't want to down them all because I wasn't sure how long it would take to get to the end.

That said, once I was past the werewolves, Karstaag was easy to beat (I was able to rest and recharge Trueflame before fighting him, which helped fight against his regen), and upon downing the two remaining strength potions, I beat Hircine's Aspect of Guile in like six-or-seven hits.

Final stats:

Archmagister of House Telvanni
Master of the Fighter's Guild
Wizard of the Mages Guild
Operative of the Blades
Hearthfriend of the Ashlanders
Total Play Time: 02:10:49:00

So with that, I've finally finished Morrowind, and I'll certainly have to revisit it again in the future to explore the modded content for it.

For now, though:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Max Wilco posted:

However, it highlights a big issue with the navigation. On the local map, you can double-click on spot to add pins and write notes, and on the world map, hovering over pin will show you the notes you made in those areas. The issue is that it will only show those notes on the world map if there's a pre-existing pin for them. You cannot add notes on the world map, so if you want to make note a particular ruin or something that's off in wilderness, you'll have to travel to that general area and pan around the local map to try and find it again.

This is really annoying. I'll often be exploring at low levels or on my way to something specific and come across a tomb/cave and think "oh I'll come back and check that out later", but the inability to mark it on the map means there's a 95% chance I'll forget about it or won't be able to find it again.

The screenshot of Azura's Star on the desk made me decide in my current run I'm going to put a god soul in a throwing star called Azura's Throwing Star and just whip it at some mook. What could be more disrespectful than that?

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Every time May rolls around it's like a shotgun blast of mods hitting me in the face, it's wonderful.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Larry Cum Free posted:

This is really annoying. I'll often be exploring at low levels or on my way to something specific and come across a tomb/cave and think "oh I'll come back and check that out later", but the inability to mark it on the map means there's a 95% chance I'll forget about it or won't be able to find it again.

The screenshot of Azura's Star on the desk made me decide in my current run I'm going to put a god soul in a throwing star called Azura's Throwing Star and just whip it at some mook. What could be more disrespectful than that?

Type

player->additem "azura_star_unique" 1

Into the console for a pleasant surprise

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Larry Cum Free posted:

ProTip: You can leave notes on the local map.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

chaosapiant posted:

ProTip: You can leave notes on the local map.

I know, but you can see entrances on the local map anyway. I'm talking about where I wander off somewhere else and can't remember what grid square I wanted to go back to!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Larry thread

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Larry Cum Free posted:

I know, but you can see entrances on the local map anyway. I'm talking about where I wander off somewhere else and can't remember what grid square I wanted to go back to!

if you enter it once won't it show up on the world map, or is that only for "major" sites?

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
If anyone's interested, the team behind Skywind will be doing a stream this Friday along with a few of the voice actors from Morrowind as part of a charity event for the Alzheimer’s Association:

https://twitter.com/TESRSkywind/status/1653507611692609538?t=xDebR7w0HZPTAmTEOpWDRw&s=19

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Arivia posted:

if you enter it once won't it show up on the world map, or is that only for "major" sites?

Major sites only. Towns some daedra shrines, the big forts with the proplyon indexes, shrines, etc. Cave full of assholes #558 not so much despite it containing a unique hat.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Kind of adjacent to the recent discussion, but still looks handy. Merlord's new mod that shows on the minimap if a dungeon has been cleared. https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/52807/

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
Pondering doing another mod list revamp when the next TR update goes up. It'd probably be mostly just removing quest mods that don't work for me, either because it's got elements that disagree with me (eg I don't like the companion in Imperial Legion Revamp) or because I am a terminally boring person who picks House Redoran on 99% of my playthroughs because my spectrum-rear end brain can't handle being a dick to 3D models on a screen (:downs:). Figure I might as well toss some comments on the ones I have been able to observe at least. (All of these I installed because they were on a mod list, in case anybody was wondering.)

Tel Eurus: Keep; good questline, keeps to itself. Could use some dialogue editing but what else is new.

Astrologian's Guild: Same as above. Only concern is that it clashes lore-wise with how TR envisions a similar guild but eh.

Secrets of the Crystal City: Hangin' round with a bunch of escaped slaves in my free mansion where I hoard my poo poo in an area with a Daedric statue of Boethiah shredding a guitar like a stone-cold motherfucker yes please

Imperial Legion Revamp: Drop; I have a knee-jerk reaction to any mod that adds an unnecessary sexual peril element to a female character's situation and while he's not technically necessary, the mod clearly expects me to use the companion and i hate him

Rise of House Telvanni: A perfectly good mod from my understanding that I will probably never really take advantage of on account of above mentioned terminal case of boring.

Caldera Mine: Seems interesting but is kind of buggy and out of date and the one House I ever feel comfortable with playing is the questline that's the most bugged out. Remove, I guess. :saddowns:

To Save a Falling Wizard: The spell you get is really nice so I'm sort of torn between keeping it for that or dropping it because Tarhiel is characterized way too nice compared to how he is if you save him in Vanilla and he shows up later in TR Old Ebonheart. Hmm.

Sorcerer of Alteration: oh my god get an editor for your text jesus

Wandering Umbra: :black101: best fight in the game with this mod

Sobitur: Nuked it from orbit already after I realized I had stored all my precious alchemy ingredients in a lovely mod that was going to be sending dark brotherhood agents with overpriced equipment after me every time I wanted to mix a potion for the rest of my gaming file's life. Nothing of value was lost.

Dark Brotherhood: Not sure why I have this at all aside from mod list because, again, terminal boring syndrome. I am at peace with myself about this even if it meant never getting the rad horse in Oblivion.

Census and Excise: beckons closer it's free money

and of course all the major landmass adding mods are staying because TR is serious loving quality. Got a bunch of other questlines I need to actually touch at some point too, phew.

Anyway, this just means more mods are a possibility so if anybody has any suggestions I'm all for it.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Dragomorph posted:

Sorcerer of Alteration: oh my god get an editor for your text jesus

Strongly agree with this entire sentiment lol. The occasional spelling error in a mod is perfectly fine, as is not having the ability to write dialogue that seems like vanilla, but lotsa modders make it clear they just... don't view writing as a skill you need to have any experience with, just write stuff out like it's a discord chat message no big deal.

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

I played Morrowind a bunch on the Xbox but never played it on PC, so I finally picked it up and have set up OpenMW, TR, and some others from some lists and this thread (thanks!), and I'm loving it. I forgot how much I hated the way attributes are leveled by default, but the mod that gives a +3, +4, or +5 bonus to any attributes for which you've leveled up a skill is keeping my "optimal build" stress down a lot.

I haven't even made it to the areas added by mods, but I'm looking forward to it quite a bit.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Dragomorph posted:

Tel Eurus: Keep; good questline, keeps to itself. Could use some dialogue editing but what else is new.

Agreed, a very good bunch of quests that really lean into the strangeness of the lore.

Dragomorph posted:

Astrologian's Guild: Same as above. Only concern is that it clashes lore-wise with how TR envisions a similar guild but eh.

I liked this one by the same mod author a bit less. The wheels really start to fall off toward the end with a pretty boring dungeon crawl. Other than that, it was still decent.

Dragomorph posted:

Secrets of the Crystal City: Hangin' round with a bunch of escaped slaves in my free mansion where I hoard my poo poo in an area with a Daedric statue of Boethiah shredding a guitar like a stone-cold motherfucker yes please

More beautiful than anything else. I didn't find the quests that interesting, despite the obvious effort that went into everything. Made my computer slow to a loving crawl, so that may be coloring my attitude toward it.

Dragomorph posted:

Caldera Mine: Seems interesting but is kind of buggy and out of date and the one House I ever feel comfortable with playing is the questline that's the most bugged out. Remove, I guess. :saddowns:

Agreed, buggier than a wasp's nest, but I like what it does to the mine itself so I keep it around for that reason alone.

Dragomorph posted:

Dark Brotherhood: Not sure why I have this at all aside from mod list because, again, terminal boring syndrome. I am at peace with myself about this even if it meant never getting the rad horse in Oblivion.

Which one? I played this one and, despite it kinda needing an editing pass, I found it more entertaining than the vanilla Morag Tong quest line. There's actually like several takes on the Dark Brotherhood floating around out there, including To Serve Sithis (played this years ago, don't remember a lot but it's pretty Oblivion-y) and Caeris' Vvardenfell Brotherhood, whose writing might be fine to some, but I do not vibe with at all. I think the one I listed first is pretty much the best and most vanilla take on the faction.

And since you solicited suggestions: Brother Juniper's Twin Lamps. A very old quest mod, but holds up remarkably well, and it lets you be a nice guy. :) Recently got a remake, too, so hopefully all the early 2000s-era jank has been purged.

You might be interested in LGNPC's Pax Redoran if you're a habitual enjoyer of that faction, but LGNPC is a bit polarizing (with good reason - the writing often feels overbloated and outdated in tone, but it depends on the author). Regardless, I like this one in particular because it gives Redoran players a lot more to do during that quest line, and even adds some post faction leader quests where you can decide on policy and stuff like that. I consider it a must-have for that reason alone.

And I'll do a bit of shameless self-promotion and drop a link to the quest mod I recently co-produced, A Lovers' Quarrel, taking place in TR's Necrom (tragically underused, but there's plans to rectify that in the future) and involving Temple skullduggery.

Enrico la Spaniard fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 8, 2023

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.

secondhand dog posted:

I played Morrowind a bunch on the Xbox but never played it on PC, so I finally picked it up and have set up OpenMW, TR, and some others from some lists and this thread (thanks!), and I'm loving it. I forgot how much I hated the way attributes are leveled by default, but the mod that gives a +3, +4, or +5 bonus to any attributes for which you've leveled up a skill is keeping my "optimal build" stress down a lot.

I haven't even made it to the areas added by mods, but I'm looking forward to it quite a bit.

Don't worry about optimizing stuff. You'll become absurdly powerful by level 15 no matter what you do.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Necronormiecon posted:

Don't worry about optimizing stuff. You'll become absurdly powerful by level 15 no matter what you do.

I use CCCP with the health disabled and State Based Health to replace it and it honestly keeps you a bit more humble! You'll never become a complete jack of all trades without serious investment and economy mods (i think i'm using abot's right now) makes it so you can't afford infinite training either. Ashfall also means you need to stop doing training sessions to get food and drink and sleep and forces you to break up your actions into more coherent chunks! It's fun! Proportional progression also is heavily customizable and lets you slow down your skill gain rates on whatever scales you like, so you won't be level 20 before you leave the first city you set up in. Right now I'm on day 50 and level 11 and while I'm super dangerous as an ambush predator--what I built my character around--in a prolonged fight I'm still very vulnerable because it's just not what I have the stats for and CCCP keeps me honest.

Most of those are MWSE only tho but the tradeoff for not using OMW's ease of use is you get to like actually use all the mods that have come out and revolutionized the game lately so like (i mean like you can play basically stardew valley nowadays and plant your own crops and build an actual farm and with the discord-only painting mod you can just go around painting landscapes and stuff or make your living as a bard playing in taverns with bardic inspiration like morrowind is now a dozen different games with MWSE it's obscene)

Also try out mort's rebalance mods and my MDMD which scales the game based on reasonable expectations of what player characters will become, because for some reason Bethesda thought you'd take months to reach level 20 and that was the most powerful anyone could ever be.

Also I have 600 mods installed right now so you probably shouldn't actually listen to my advice, modding morrowind is like a weird ham radio project to me and half the fun of the game for me is modifying everything i download to fit into my obscenely bespoke morrowind install and i think most people don't have this kind of autism so don't actually listen to my advice

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 8, 2023

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?

Enrico la Spaniard posted:

I liked this one by the same mod author a bit less. The wheels really start to fall off toward the end with a pretty boring dungeon crawl. Other than that, it was still decent.

Yeah, the dungeon was interesting but the unremovable traps were irritating as heck. They do seem to be continuing things past the conclusion though, and I like having something I can invest some cash into.

More beautiful than anything else. I didn't find the quests that interesting, despite the obvious effort that went into everything. Made my computer slow to a loving crawl, so that may be coloring my attitude toward it.

I admit I didn't have that much of a problem. I also admit the free house biases me towards it a bit. Could use a bit more furniture for me to put random stuff on mind.

Which one? I played this one and, despite it kinda needing an editing pass, I found it more entertaining than the vanilla Morag Tong quest line. There's actually like several takes on the Dark Brotherhood floating around out there, including To Serve Sithis (played this years ago, don't remember a lot but it's pretty Oblivion-y) and Caeris' Vvardenfell Brotherhood, whose writing might be fine to some, but I do not vibe with at all. I think the one I listed first is pretty much the best and most vanilla take on the faction.

That would be the one. Again, it's not a matter of quality, it's the fact I will almost certainly never touch it because I don't like playing the bad stabby people.

And since you solicited suggestions: Brother Juniper's Twin Lamps. A very old quest mod, but holds up remarkably well, and it lets you be a nice guy. :) Recently got a remake, too, so hopefully all the early 2000s-era jank has been purged.

Now THAT, on the other hand. I've been an Americanist academic historian too long not to take perverse pleasure in playing active participant in Morrowind's Underground Railroad.

(As a side note to this, am I the only one who suspects there's more than a few folks involved in TR who are themselves historians? Their museum in Firewatch is one of the most museumy museums I've ever seen in a game, and a lot of the lore considerations especially regarding slavery seem to be at least somewhat informed by actual historical research into various forms of slavery globally.)

You might be interested in LGNPC's Pax Redoran if you're a habitual enjoyer of that faction, but LGNPC is a bit polarizing (with good reason - the writing often feels overbloated and outdated in tone, but it depends on the author). Regardless, I like this one in particular because it gives Redoran players a lot more to do during that quest line, and even adds some post faction leader quests where you can decide on policy and stuff like that. I consider it a must-have for that reason alone.

Man, LGNPC is so weird. You ask someone for their background, they drop their whole life story on you. I think I'm okay without, but it is unfortunate because Telvanni mods tend to suck most of the air out of the room with regards to House revamps, especially given Redoran's sort of goody-two-shoes feel. (I mean, TR doesn't even have Redoran quests yet.)

And I'll do a bit of shameless self-promotion and drop a link to the quest mod I recently co-produced, A Lovers' Quarrel, taking place in TR's Necrom (tragically underused, but there's plans to rectify that in the future) and involving Temple skullduggery.

Noted! I'll look into that one too. Thanks!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Dragomorph posted:

(As a side note to this, am I the only one who suspects there's more than a few folks involved in TR who are themselves historians? Their museum in Firewatch is one of the most museumy museums I've ever seen in a game, and a lot of the lore considerations especially regarding slavery seem to be at least somewhat informed by actual historical research into various forms of slavery globally.)

Not me personally but yeah. I think at least 1 historian and a lot of other assorted academics

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?

mbt posted:

Not me personally but yeah. I think at least 1 historian and a lot of other assorted academics

Awesome, that definitely tracks. And they say academia doesn't do anything for the common person.

since people still playing morrowind in 2023 are totally mainstream

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Agreed, buggier than a wasp's nest, but I like what it does to the mine itself so I keep it around for that reason alone.

You're in luck, a mod just went up on Nexus that keeps the landscape changed but strips out all the quests.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

V for Vegas posted:

You're in luck, a mod just went up on Nexus that keeps the landscape changed but strips out all the quests.

Oh, I downloaded this within an hour of it dropping haha. RP is a gem.

Dragomorph posted:

Now THAT, on the other hand. I've been an Americanist academic historian too long not to take perverse pleasure in playing active participant in Morrowind's Underground Railroad.

Sweet, enjoy :) Despite singing its praises, I think my main issue with this mod would be that it's too centered on the importance of Vvardenfell over the rest of the province when it comes to the institution of slavery, but that's hardly the author's fault, since there wasn't much of a mainland to speak of back then.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Oh, I downloaded this within an hour of it dropping haha. RP is a gem.

Sweet, enjoy :) Despite singing its praises, I think my main issue with this mod would be that it's too centered on the importance of Vvardenfell over the rest of the province when it comes to the institution of slavery, but that's hardly the author's fault, since there wasn't much of a mainland to speak of back then.

Tr will have an insane amount of twin lamps quests and a province spanning underground railroad. The only problem is we haven't hit the motherlode of narsis and dres yet

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I'm so excited for the Tear slave pits like yeah man Telvanni will collect a dozen slaves and then cast Absorb Intelligence 30 pts for 10 seconds in 20 feet on touch to create communion slaves and do better enchanting but like at least they don't make a game of putting people in pits and seeing how much they can psychologically break them for fun. Anyway for more accuracy in Telvanni playthroughs please let me purchase and corral a dozen slaves so I can cast Absorb Intelligence 30 pts for 10 seconds in 20 feet on touch to break the limits of mortality and enchant a cute belt that will let me see in the dark somehow also no consequences for being a cartoon villain please (why isn't there a house telvanni mod that calls you out for being a cartoon villain (marsh-demon-at-her-elbow should bring me to court and there should be a pheonix wright-esque quest where i'm basically von karma and she's pheonix wright but a lizard (you can even have ghosts show up in this game too ghosts are everywhere (we call upon the ghost of this dead slave to testify (i lose the case and am put in jail for 30 days and my destruction skill goes down 5 points (i immediately start training it on my slaves and am brought to court once more))))))

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

all as the holy ALMSIVI intended

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?

FlocksOfMice posted:

I'm so excited for the Tear slave pits like yeah man Telvanni will collect a dozen slaves and then cast Absorb Intelligence 30 pts for 10 seconds in 20 feet on touch to create communion slaves and do better enchanting but like at least they don't make a game of putting people in pits and seeing how much they can psychologically break them for fun. Anyway for more accuracy in Telvanni playthroughs please let me purchase and corral a dozen slaves so I can cast Absorb Intelligence 30 pts for 10 seconds in 20 feet on touch to break the limits of mortality and enchant a cute belt that will let me see in the dark somehow also no consequences for being a cartoon villain please (why isn't there a house telvanni mod that calls you out for being a cartoon villain (marsh-demon-at-her-elbow should bring me to court and there should be a pheonix wright-esque quest where i'm basically von karma and she's pheonix wright but a lizard (you can even have ghosts show up in this game too ghosts are everywhere (we call upon the ghost of this dead slave to testify (i lose the case and am put in jail for 30 days and my destruction skill goes down 5 points (i immediately start training it on my slaves and am brought to court once more))))))

:allears:

i'd say hope for a no three strikes law but the three strikes law in Morrowind probably just defines how many times someone can hit you with their sword before you go down

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

FlocksOfMice posted:

Most of those are MWSE only tho but the tradeoff for not using OMW's ease of use is you get to like actually use all the mods that have come out and revolutionized the game lately so like (i mean like you can play basically stardew valley nowadays and plant your own crops and build an actual farm and with the discord-only painting mod you can just go around painting landscapes and stuff or make your living as a bard playing in taverns with bardic inspiration like morrowind is now a dozen different games with MWSE it's obscene)

Lotta people say going joja mart to get the conjuration skill tree early lacks heart, but you can't argue with the fact that clanfear are broken good plough animals and skeleton workers just save so much money you need early to get your nirnroot wine economy going. Pierre's a fetcher anyways and keeps trying to pass off my ash yams as his own.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

For a brief moment I got excited about a Morrowind farming game but then I remembered...everything else about the setting. No Dres simulators, please.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
As Telvanni, I’d not use slaves to farm but reprogramed spider centurions to crawl around and tend all the rows

And steam centurions to beat any Dres saboteurs into fertilizer as I put them outta business along with their horrible slave trade

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
No as a Telvanni you use slaves to farm, but you equip them with CE Restore Fatigue and Fortify Strength items. Evil villain option you keep them in line with damage willpower spells, more realistic option you keep them in line by you're a Telvanni and you don't give a gently caress about anything so one of your slaves is injured or sick and comes up to you like "Muthsera I am--" and you're like "Yeah yeah whatever Cure All Diseases on Touch Restore Health 100 pts Restore All Attributes 10 pts get back out there." Best health plan you can find in Tamriel.

You just keep giving them all your lab practice equipment and the Twin Lamps shows up and is like "We're here to liberate you" and Peels-the-Shells is standing there in glass armor with fifty enchantments on it and holding a scythe that reaps every saltrice stalk in the field with one sweep and the Twin Lamps is like "It's disgusting how you are forced to labor in the fields all day"

and Peels-the-Shells is like "My buddy, look, our Telvanni vampire wizard lord doesn't pay attention to anything outside of their experiments, I've worked a single half-hour in the past month, when the last overseer started whipping us we killed him and our owner was like 'Well you managed to kill him so I guess your argument was right, that's how we do things' and now I make 3,000 drakes a month because our vampire wizard overlord doesn't understand the value of money and only thinks in the value of souls so like."

and then the Twin Lamps is like "Yeah but wait a vampire? So every night you're--" and Peels-the-Shells is like "I'm gonna stop you right there of course our vampire wizard lord doesn't want competition or to have to put in any effort so yeah they feed on us and then cast Cure Disease and Restore Health on us and also as a vampire they don't want the temple snooping around so we're basically free to do whatever we want, we're actually celebrating a khajiiti holiday this weekend it's cool"

I'm not even shitposting Master Aryon's got Smokeskin-Killer running his security and Divath Fyr's former slave is now his partner and I'm PRETTY sure he doesn't mean, like, business partner but more in the sense of how he keeps him and his daughters good company in the sense that he's part of the clone polycule this is just what Telvanni DO you just kind of collect a ton of slaves and then realize systematic oppression is so much WORK so you just end up freeing them and now it's like you in charge and everyone else is former slaves walking around in artifact-level equipment doing whatever with no oversight because you are a vampire wizard and you're really more interested in how far you can push this Jump spell...

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

That all sounds great, but as an argonian Telvanni, I just set them free right away and say “now come work for me” and they end up the same way without the Twin Lamps buggin us

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Stuporstar posted:

That all sounds great, but as an argonian Telvanni, I just set them free right away and say “now come work for me” and they end up the same way without the Twin Lamps buggin us

Yeah I wished my former slaves in your Uvirith mod had come back to work for me as equals (I got the letter from the Khajiit washerwoman who went home and the set in the slave pens underground had their scripting break or something).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Arivia posted:

Yeah I wished my former slaves in your Uvirith mod had come back to work for me as equals (I got the letter from the Khajiit washerwoman who went home and the set in the slave pens underground had their scripting break or something).

Workers of Morrowind unite! You have nothing to lose but your pathfinding and scripts

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Arivia posted:

If I ever manage to get the next version done, I’m removing the generic slaves and keeping just a couple to do just that. I’d written a few quests for the one slave who stays in UL4, but I wanna do more than that, like surreptitiously liberate slaves from other towers have a couple turn out to be absolute geniuses that spend their time fiddling around with Dwemer tech doing their own research

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?
ngl the "benign neglect" or "socialist libertarian" model of Telvanni would actually be a good way to sell me on going Telvanni.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Stuporstar posted:

I usually end up defaulting to a khajiiti Telvanni vampire ngl because I think the khajiiti philosophy of "something precious but not protected is foolish; it's their fault if i steal it" and the Telvanni "if you can take it and get away with it you deserved it" resonate real well and a khajiit wizard showing up to Telvanni would be like "oh... yeah I grok this."

In vivec waistwork expansion the telvanni merchant Absabi was literally just the character I was playing when I made the mod, I wrote her dialogue to basically match my then-character's own opinions on things.

quote:

This one is Absabi, a Mage of House Telvanni. Many Khajiit in Morrowind are slaves. Absabi is not such a one. I am here to sell the products of my experiments to fellow Telvanni, and to what curious strangers treat me with respect. Eventually, Absabi will have enough money, and will not need to sell wares in the halls of Vivec. Eventually it will be Absabi's turn to rise in power or die. This is the Telvanni way. Absabi would not have it otherwise.

Yes, Absabi is Khajiit, and yes, Absabi is of House Telvanni. Everyone says mean things about the Telvanni, calls them unfriendly to outsiders. Absabi has found it different. The Telvanni do not care that Absabi is Khajiit. Is Absabi competent? Is Absabi capable? This is all that House Telvanni cares for. Do not be fooled. House Hlaalu makes their wealth on the back of Khajiiti slaves. Telvanni enslave all who are weak, elevate all who are strong. Of all the Great Houses, only House Telvanni is fair.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Dragomorph posted:

ngl the "benign neglect" or "socialist libertarian" model of Telvanni would actually be a good way to sell me on going Telvanni.

I was hoping to have more input on the RoHT update so more options like that would be added. I have no idea how much Mort ended up doing

I was also working on an update to my Quest Tweaks and Alternates mod, and some of that was adding a lot more clever trickery options to all the quests so you could go around doing fun picaresque poo poo rather than going around killing relatively innocent people (especially for their stuff, as so many Telvanni quests have you do).

Like a good insane wizard oughta come up with more creative and clever solutions to everything, and showing someone up in a battle of wits is so much more satisfying to me than, “Me make bigger boom than you, I win.” It’s why Rot’s Immersive Madness is probably one of my favorite quest mods ever

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?

Stuporstar posted:

I was hoping to have more input on the RoHT update so more options like that would be added. I have no idea how much Mort ended up doing

I was also working on an update to my Quest Tweaks and Alternates mod, and some of that was adding a lot more clever trickery options to all the quests so you could go around doing fun picaresque poo poo rather than going around killing relatively innocent people (especially for their stuff, as so many Telvanni quests have you do).

Like a good insane wizard oughta come up with more creative and clever solutions to everything, and showing someone up in a battle of wits is so much more satisfying to me than, “Me make bigger boom than you, I win.” It’s why Rot’s Immersive Madness is probably one of my favorite quest mods ever

You have my attention as an adventure gamer. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Stuporstar posted:

I could be convinced to add more to roht. I mostly just wanted to excise the weird lore of the main character which was a monumental task considering how load-bearing that characterization was.