Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
It's a common argument i see. That and the one claiming everyone would stop coming to the UK if we got rid of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You would think the stop the boat crew would be all for it then.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
People like Stephen Fry are exactly why we have an all channel enforcement of the monarchy in this country while nobody turns up to the parties outside of the Home Counties psychopaths. There's a huge amount of people with hereditary and gifted titles that all trace their lineage to the Royal Family, and they're desperate to keep it going so they can keep the only working form of trickle down in place. The Lords, Ladies, Barons, Dukes and Sirs. All people with unearned social and material standing that desperately need the Head of state to be the worst example of it so they can keep theirs. And while the King may pretend he's only ceremonial outside of secret backdoor shenanigans to hide their money overseas, the rest of the gallery of sycophants absolutely are swinging the weight of their titles around to get money and bully others.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

You think it's only the home counties who have strong support for the monarchy?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

Going by attendance in almost every part of the country for royal nonsense, yes. Could just be that their fan base couldn't get out of the house.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mega Comrade posted:

I think the Home Counties are to blame for everything bad in the country, yes.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

19% of the Midlands said they would be attending some celebration event this weekend. Compared to 20% of the south.

It's stronger in the south for sure but it's not some huge divide.

Scotland however, only 7%.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm not really sure willingness to go outside on a rainy saturday to stare at a screen is much of a measure for anything.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Maybe, but what about these?

Sorry to disappoint, but it's not just the South.

(wtf Wales, do better. Scotland however showing it's the true place of enlightenment in the UK)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I don't think there should be a referendum, and I am very anti-monarchy.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Yeah, I'm all loving done with referenda. The public are too poorly informed.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah if it goes to a referendum “keep them” would win, best to skip that bit

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

There will have to a referendum eventually. The traditional way of removing your monarchy just isn't as popular as it once was.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

There will have to a referendum eventually. The traditional way of removing your monarchy just isn't as popular as it once was.

What's the point of a representative democracy if the representatives shy away from the big decisions? I mean hey, if you want to do away with representative liberal democracy then I'm listening but I don't think that's your point.

There's nothing in the British constitution mandating a referendum on anything though. If a majority of MPs in the HoC support it & it gets through the Lord's tinkering then it becomes law, that includes breaking up the union, changing the Head of State from born to elected or appointed for a term of X years, or if they really want abolishing habeas corpus or making All of You are Cunts and I Hope You loving Die by Fukpig the national anthem.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Ideally, there should be a referendum with every new monarch. Hold it 2-3 years after the coronation so that the veneer of flag-waving patriotism has had a chance to wear thin. Make it a simple yes/no vote to continue the monarchy. If No wins, the current monarch is the last, and the monarchy ends upon his/her death or abdication. That should in theory allow for plenty of time to wrap up the constitutional issues and to separate the royal family's personal wealth from the national assets.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
We don't need a referendum, just take their land and exile the fuckers to St Helena or the Pitcairn islands.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
No, I believe the monarchy should be expanded. Make everyone in Britain part of the royal family and increase funding to pay for all their housing and healthcare and food and transport and utilities and

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Microplastics posted:

No, I believe the monarchy should be expanded. Make everyone in Britain part of the royal family and increase funding to pay for all their housing and healthcare and food and transport and utilities and

the downside here is no british paedophiles would ever be prosecuted ever again

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Angepain posted:

the downside here is no british paedophiles would ever be prosecuted ever again

So, no change then?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Sees black man on TV and changes channel

https://twitter.com/nickbuckleymbe/status/1654835665425649673?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

https://twitter.com/NickBuckleyMBE/status/1654901705723772929?t=jAXWaO-ZFPVxWMPjQP1hFg&s=19

Lmao.

Well, there it is

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He'd get on well with the "I am not racist, but I have been keeping a running tally of all of the races presented in every British television advert for the past 20 years, and..." man.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Kinda sounds like his experience was already ruined if he had to take to twitter to complain about it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/Women4Wes/status/1655530294848503808

Wonder if he'll disappear up to Scotland to play golf with Trump while not hiding.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Microplastics posted:

Kinda sounds like his experience was already ruined if he had to take to twitter to complain about it

But they love being outraged, it's their favourite thing

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

But they love being outraged, it's their favourite thing

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Such strong she-turned-the-weans-against-us energy from Neil that Laurence Fox is envious

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If someone had kept a record of how many did and didn't pledge their allegiance we might find we already had a referendum on keeping the monarchy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's not like we needed to guess.

https://twitter.com/NickBuckleyMBE/status/1655503406994276352?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Comparing the king to a pandemic disease :hmmyes:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Gonzo McFee posted:

You should read up on UK undercover police. If you want to meet your local undercover police officers, basically just start a left wing book club and at least one of the people who turn up will be an undercover cop trying to get people to do something illegal. There are kids fathered by undercover cops who basically got fathered by rape by deception. The UK government's response when it all came out was to retroactively make it legal.

There's probably a few cops posting in this thread. The only one I hold above suspicion is Comrade Fakename.
I don't think this thread has quite reached the effective threat level of a Trot book club, unfortunately.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Comparing the king to a pandemic disease :hmmyes:
Prion, surely?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

cat botherer posted:

I don't think this thread has quite reached the effective threat level of a Trot book club, unfortunately.

Be a good way to waste the filth's time tho

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Somewhere right now there's a lad whose entire job is keeping track of this thread and trying to decode crisp chat, thinking it's a means of planning left wing terrorist activities.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Got a multipack of Monster Munch (all varieties) sitting on the counter, iykwim. The pickled onion is spoken for but I'm willing to part with some flaming hot for right offer.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mega Comrade posted:

Maybe, but what about these?

Sorry to disappoint, but it's not just the South.

(wtf Wales, do better. Scotland however showing it's the true place of enlightenment in the UK)

Interesting. I think this poll is missing one region of the United Kingdom, but I can't remember which one it is. :thunk:

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

big scary monsters posted:

Got a multipack of Monster Munch (all varieties) sitting on the counter, iykwim. The pickled onion is spoken for but I'm willing to part with some flaming hot for right offer.

If you have any Ice Cream flavour tucked away then the Special Fudge would be suitably enhanced by it..

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

There was that case of the Goon joking about the Olympic torch or something years ago who got a knock on the door by the plod because if it. I've forgotten the exact details.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Camrath posted:

If you have any Ice Cream flavour tucked away then the Special Fudge would be suitably enhanced by it..

I might have some more exotic flavours for the discerning palate, but I'm going to need extra assurances from the person collecting the home addresses of thread regulars... You have to post "I swear I am not a cop" so then if you are it's entrapment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The wotsits are loose, I repeat, the wotsits are loose.