Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Good to know, thanks guys! I'll not worry about the lighting for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Wait what now?

They've said that they'll implement a switch to enable UE5's Lumen, but it won't be officially supported (or enabled either), because they don't want to rework all assets and the world to make everything work a 100% correctly with it. Also, it's relatively CPU heavy (IIRC they said it runs entirely in software, which is odd, because it is the very least able to use the raytracing hardware on NVidia cards).

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wait what now?

They've said that they'll implement a switch to enable UE5's Lumen, but it won't be officially supported (or enabled either), because they don't want to rework all assets and the world to make everything work a 100% correctly with it. Also, it's relatively CPU heavy (IIRC they said it runs entirely in software, which is odd, because it is the very least able to use the raytracing hardware on NVidia cards).

Software raytracing is actually done on the gpu and is less cpu than hardware rt actually as it doesn't build a bvh but insteads composites a sdf which can be done mostly in shaders. The software rt is called software as it is programmed as a fancy shader

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Twibbit posted:

Software raytracing is actually done on the gpu and is less cpu than hardware rt actually as it doesn't build a bvh but insteads composites a sdf which can be done mostly in shaders.

Bounding volume hierarchy

Signed distance function

It didn't help me much, but I'm linking to the wikipedia pages for the initialisms because I didn't know wtf they referred to either.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

FFT posted:

Bounding volume hierarchy

Signed distance function

It didn't help me much, but I'm linking to the wikipedia pages for the initialisms because I didn't know wtf they referred to either.

Ray Marching

This may help as well. As it is how you use an sdf field to raytrace

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I figured that anyone interested enough would get there eventually but yeah, good to point out

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Massive 2 hour video on the youtube that's a re-upload of their stream, where the guys talk to Hannah the world designer.

I know someone ITT was annoyed at the desert canyon zone being changed: starting at 11 minutes in they spend a lot time in that area so you can get a look at the difference. The big changes are all in the area between the desert canyon and the next biomes to the south. For actual world geometry some of the big rock pillar-cliffs changed from one rock type to a different one, and those have different models and so will have slightly different edges. Aside from those the foliage and ground textures are majorly changes but that won't affect a factory.

I have a rail line that weaves through those rock pillars on one side of the zone, going between dune desert and titan forest. It'll probably need a redo.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Back in the early days of the game I thought the weird things you find might point to an alien or indigenous race who convince you to go against Ficsit or a reveal you were being manipulated or something. I guess that's probably out now as they made Ficsit too goofy and might not have been any good really.

The excellent game Infinifactory had something a bit like this. Play Infinifactory, it's great.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The Planet Crafter's story is similar, you're a prisoner and you're sentenced to terraform a lifeless planet. It's pretty minimal at the moment and told in just a few mails, though.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Planet crafter is very nice looking, but the gameplay is pretty horrendous in that the main loop is walking around hoovering up minerals inexplicably scattered at even intervals over the entire surface of the planet. It’s a really weird gameplay decision that gets even weirder when later in the game meteor showers periodically replenish the minerals. I quite like Satisfactorys approach to exploration instead.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I got really into Autonauts after getting it for free from XBL i think or it could be on gamepass idk.

It's a cutesy game like satisfactory but you have to build and code(train) robots to do all the stuff. You can dig yourself a pretty deep hole if you don't spend the time automating every stage of advancement though, but the code part of training robots is a neat twist. The efficiency of my robot code between my early robots and my later ones is amazing.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

If anyone grabbed Shapez for free on the EGS a couple of weeks ago, don't sleep on it. Great little factory game, and I really appreciate its minimalist design aesthetic.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

oh goddammit I didn't get shapez, they've had so many turds lately that I stopped checking it regularly :argh:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

neato burrito posted:

If anyone grabbed Shapez for free on the EGS a couple of weeks ago, don't sleep on it. Great little factory game, and I really appreciate its minimalist design aesthetic.

Grabbed it while it was free since I'd already been eyeing it for a while before it appeared on the rotation, figured I'd give it a shot after reading this post instead of letting it sit in the unplayed pile along with 20+ other free EGS games. Not sure how long I'll stick with it but I like the simplicity, there aren't a million different systems to worry about like the few times I've tried to get into Factorio and given up around the time I hit grey science.

Don't doubt that there's a better way to arrange this but after 2000 hours in Satisfactory it's nice to have another automation game where I don't know what I'm doing.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Powershift posted:

I got really into Autonauts after getting it for free from XBL i think or it could be on gamepass idk.

It's a cutesy game like satisfactory but you have to build and code(train) robots to do all the stuff. You can dig yourself a pretty deep hole if you don't spend the time automating every stage of advancement though, but the code part of training robots is a neat twist. The efficiency of my robot code between my early robots and my later ones is amazing.

Thanks for reminding me I had this in my library, I didn't have anything else to do for 15 hours in three days anyways (it's a very good little game, I also recommend it)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

More power stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rss1ausDSv8

Just recently I was getting annoyed at the amount of poles you had to put up to get anywhere remote. Hope they're not up too high in the tiers.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Awesome. I've always been annoyed when laying down power lines that there wasn't some high tension lines.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
You can make out some nobelisks on the gas pillar at the ~40 second mark, good chance they're going to become destructible.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently the power switch is new? Wasn't there a longstanding rumor about a priority switch?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
In one of the community streams they alluded to doing something more with fart rocks but didn't say what. My guess is that we'll be able to blow up the rock which will uncover a gas vent that can have a harvester of some sort put on top of it.

As far as the power, in the video it shows part of the factory shut down due to a power cut but the generators keep running. My guess is that the new switch is more of a circuit breaker and in the event of a power trip it isolates the two networks letting one of them continue to run independently if it has the power to do so. Player determined priority load shedding would be pretty neat but I think that's a little more complex that satisfactory tends to get.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I'd have preferred just a mk2 cable that could stretch longer, rather than premade towers for long electric lines.

KodiakRS posted:

As far as the power, in the video it shows part of the factory shut down due to a power cut but the generators keep running. My guess is that the new switch is more of a circuit breaker and in the event of a power trip it isolates the two networks letting one of them continue to run independently if it has the power to do so. Player determined priority load shedding would be pretty neat but I think that's a little more complex that satisfactory tends to get.

"Disconnect switch when battery power is under n%"

That gives you priority load shedding in a very simple way. And it fits with what happens in the video: the batteries are active, the factory is running, then the factory gets shut down when the last battery bar starts blinking.

Not a feature I'm excited for -- IMO batteries are a bad substitute for 100% power output -- but if some players wanted load shedding that's a clever way to do it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i finally talked my friends into playing satisfactory with me again, and since i know everyone loves seeing a clean well organized factory i snapped some pics to share

spent a bit of time beneath the plate to grab some underfactory scenery

there's some of these hidden around

tried to get a shot to show how big the whole thing is, had to split it into 2 (further away convenient vantage points i could find have large amounts of the base outside of ultra draw distance). do have to mention that many of the buildings are currently empty but i'm working on fixing that

and a pic to show the kind of lighting the outside area gets during the night

(yes this base was started several years ago after finding a lets game it out video funny)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It pleases me every time I see a Tony Hawk Pro Skater skate park in this game.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

i finally talked my friends into playing satisfactory with me again, and since i know everyone loves seeing a clean well organized factory i snapped some pics to share

God I so want to see what that looks like in lumen

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Am I losing my mind or did they remove a useless ore type from the game in the last year or so? I'm sure there was another ore that I think was ruby-colored, but like SAM ore, it didn't serve any purpose. In the south, near the coal and caterium deposits south of the grassy plains starting point , there is a cave that leads to a SAM ore deposit. About halfway into that cave, there was a deposit of that ore and now, it is gone.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Skunkduster posted:

Am I losing my mind or did they remove a useless ore type from the game in the last year or so? I'm sure there was another ore that I think was ruby-colored, but like SAM ore, it didn't serve any purpose. In the south, near the coal and caterium deposits south of the grassy plains starting point , there is a cave that leads to a SAM ore deposit. About halfway into that cave, there was a deposit of that ore and now, it is gone.

Are you thinking about Bauxite? It was never removed, but it's seemingly useless until the later tiers

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

No, definitely not bauxite. I'm thinking it was something like Iridium ore, but google is only coming up with results for Stardew Valley.

edit: I also don't think it was part of a mod because it seems I found it on my initial playthrough when I was just playing vanilla. I know that the More Milestones (or 100+ milestones or something like that) added more ore types to the game, but I only used that mod briefly and I'm pretty sure it was before that.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 15, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SAM Ore? It's still there. Still useless.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Skunkduster posted:

No, definitely not bauxite. I'm thinking it was something like Iridium ore, but google is only coming up with results for Stardew Valley.

edit: I also don't think it was part of a mod because it seems I found it on my initial playthrough when I was just playing vanilla. I know that the More Milestones (or 100+ milestones or something like that) added more ore types to the game, but I only used that mod briefly and I'm pretty sure it was before that.

I remember exploring that area and finding the SAM ore in my first vanilla playthrough too but I don't remember any red ores in there, or anything like that anywhere in the game. I never used any mods so I'm guessing you are remembering mod stuff.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
The wiki page from 2018 lists the exact same ores as the current ones, so it was either a mod or your brain playing tricks on you

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I figured it out. It was a mod - refined power, and the ore was Element 65.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I can't believe you guys haven't found out about Terbium production yet, oh man

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So yeah, priority switches by means of eight fuse groups with ramped priorities, into which you group your switches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4mbNy3gt7c

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Zipline sprinting between power towers could be a decent replacement for hypertube cannons if they don't have a replacement ready for U8. Never really used the zipline since you have to keep jumping to avoid smacking into power poles but this will put it on more of a Death Stranding level of functionality.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I would kind of like it if they had it so buiding next to a powered item would also power it so you didn't have to have a spray of power poles. Or perhaps a special foundation that allowed power. Not sure if these are already mods, probably.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Wall and ceiling power outlets certainly help keeping the mess down a bit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Daisy chain mod is critical unless you think cable management is compelling gameplay. And if you do come over to my house and redo my hookups.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Does the daisy chain mod still give you a whole second copy of each building?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

First time using blueprints. Made a rough motor factory that worked OK. Reloaded the game today, saw several constructors in waiting mode, turns out some belt sections went missing. They're gone in the instanced factory and the original blueprint. :confused: