Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

teen witch posted:

It’s nearly 1:1 with American right wing talking points, uncannily so. Are the fash here too lazy or too incompetent to create their own bigotry? Importing hatred adds an extra slimy layer of pathetic on an already horrible thing.

this is not limited to the right wing - almost every issue is consistently framed around the US perspective unless doing that is actually impossible, such as during central wage negotiations. even then, the press really tries, as could be seen in the recent strike in norway where the focus was once again infantilising and consumerist. one example is the way we've just adopted the anglocentric "wave" discourse about the intellectual history of feminism despite it fitting remarkably poorly to the actual history of feminism in our countries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
After all these years living in Europe, I'm confident no European truly has a clue about any country other than their own and the US.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Esran posted:

It's happening in DK too, I figure the hogs in both countries are getting their marching orders from the same people. It seems like the American right started loudly having ~concerns~ that drag, crossdressing and any gender nonconformity was actually pedophilia, and it's being imported here wholesale.

Yes, and the media is seriously debating whether they should platform antivaxx remote healers who think Onkel Reje is an Illuminati-pedo with ties to the pharmaceutical industry.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

ideally we could have had a less utterly provinicial attitude towards the yanks even without denying the basic geopolitical structure of the world, but your point is well enough made

i really do wish we could've taken a less silly country than the US to poorly copy, though

It's all ancient history now, but France actually was a sort of god-father to Finland during the Cold war, and president Kekkonen obviously admired de Gaulle. Because they were both political strong-men and tyrants? I leave as an exercise for the student.

In the broader scheme of things, I'm not sure what the alternative is. Due to the Cold war, the US spent a lot of money and effort on their media empire. So we all learned, as kids, to speak English. My svensk is certainly not on the conversational level, but it is my understanding that most scandi-folks revert to English anyway if there's a filthy Finn around.

Don't get me wrong, I loathe all the propaganda that is straight-up imported from the US to here. But I don't think all our public broadcasting companies can really effectively combat Hollywood, and so we are stuck with having Marjorie Taylor Greene's ideas as dinner table talk :eng99:

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 8, 2023

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Groda posted:

After all these years living in Europe, I'm confident no European truly has a clue about any country other than their own and the US.
Even then, some of the notions about the US are sometimes hilariously incorrect, because the US is like five wildly different countries in a one country sausage tube.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BigglesSWE posted:

Man, SD really want to make transphobia the next step in the never-ending culture war huh?

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/WR3g5a/akesson-i-storbrak-med-pehrson-om-skamlos-vinhora-i-partiledardebatten
That poo poo's entirely predictable when they see how well it's worked in the US. Problem is voters aren't falling for it, but queer peeps are still getting hosed over (because stochastic violence) so if you see something, take a nazi's teeth.

Groda posted:

They have no idea of the us. They have a cnn/fox idea of the us.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

finally someone is adressing the deep trauma i got from seeing after dark show up on tv when i was a kid

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
If you want to get maliciously informed criticism of the USA, ask a Canadian

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rappaport posted:

In the broader scheme of things, I'm not sure what the alternative is. Due to the Cold war, the US spent a lot of money and effort on their media empire. So we all learned, as kids, to speak English. My svensk is certainly not on the conversational level, but it is my understanding that most scandi-folks revert to English anyway if there's a filthy Finn around.
I mean, you can't really expect us to speak Finnish...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Groda posted:

Like most people then.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

teen witch posted:

Even then, some of the notions about the US are sometimes hilariously incorrect, because the US is like five wildly different countries in a one country sausage tube.

Yankee go home to Texas

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You know the "sawing off florida" meme?
That but the entire US of A.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I mean, you can't really expect us to speak Finnish...

Sure, Finnish is extremely difficult, but surely it's common knowledge that Finland has pakkoruotsi (obligatory Swedish learning)? Obviously it doesn't work very well, given that I've completed university level (mandatory) "Swedish for government workers" course and I could not have a conversation in Swedish, but it is there and has been since the 1960's.

English is just more convenient for everyone involved. Even if a lot of Finns have a definite rally-racer accent. I was once accosted by a Norwegian professor after a speech I gave at a conference, not about my science but he seemed somehow offended that I spoke English with a newscaster accent rather than "up in the rear end of Timo"-level speech.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Rappaport posted:

Sure, Finnish is extremely difficult, but surely it's common knowledge that Finland has pakkoruotsi (obligatory Swedish learning)? Obviously it doesn't work very well, given that I've completed university level (mandatory) "Swedish for government workers" course and I could not have a conversation in Swedish, but it is there and has been since the 1960's.

English is just more convenient for everyone involved. Even if a lot of Finns have a definite rally-racer accent. I was once accosted by a Norwegian professor after a speech I gave at a conference, not about my science but he seemed somehow offended that I spoke English with a newscaster accent rather than "up in the rear end of Timo"-level speech.
Suggesting we speak Swedish is even more hosed up.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm not suggesting we should!

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

BigglesSWE posted:

I don't think that's unique to the Swedish media but yeah there's a lot of coverage of American stuff.

Idk from occassionally reading other european media outside of Scandinavia it does seem like a lot, i dont see the same level of minutiae and special coverage in e.g spanish, portuguese or even german media (although germany is getting there). Its like on the level of a commonwealth country, where even the public broadcaster show live marathons of us elections in the middle of the loving night (who even stays the gently caress up for that??) and US politics get their own weekly podcast/radio shows. at the same time, most swedes would probably struggle to remember the name of any nordic primeministers, or even the heads of their municipal or county councils. Trump got more airtime/word count than Löfven and Ulf Kristersson put together in 2018. News media has no restraint when it comes to US coverage, wish they were this attentive on news from the EU.

For me the more worrying part is seeing how it is really starting to colour peoples understanding of politics and view political concepts in american terms.
and some readily adopted trends in swedish culture. Alot of exotic non-anglo influences, foods etc in Sweden get a foothold because it was made popular in the anglophone world first. So even a lot of non-western influences are filtered by the US or wider anglo-culture rather than us finding it by broadening our reach.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 8, 2023

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Falukorv posted:

For me the more worrying part is seeing how it is really starting to colour peoples understanding of politics and view political concepts in american terms.
and some readily adopted trends in swedish culture. Alot of exotic non-anglo influences, foods etc in Sweden get a foothold because it was made popular in the anglophone world first. So even a lot of non-western influences are filtered by the US or wider anglo-culture rather than us finding it by broadening our reach.
This isn’t a particularly new phenomena. I last lived in Sweden maybe ‘91 and when visiting every year both my mom and I remarked how Americanized everything got by the mid 90s. Bullshit phonetic English words like “fajt” and “sajt” were the first step.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Suggesting we speak Swedish is even more hosed up.

Yes, learn Danish instead, the sensible choice

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?
Today I learned that Norwegian and Danish puts åäö in the wrong order.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Danish doesn't have those letters, and if we did, the order we share with Norway would be correct since we're clearly in the majority. Checkmate liberals :smug:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cakebaker posted:

Today I learned that Norwegian and Danish puts åäö in the wrong order.

This might explain how the keyboards are different for some reason.

American cultural hegemony sucks, but I don't mind taking the good bits like drag reading, guitar music and presumably a few other good things. I know my five year old son would be stoked about a fabulous queen reading stories while wearing glittery pizzazz.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Rappaport posted:

I'm not suggesting we should!
In my experience, no Swedish speaker understands Danish, so we'd have to.

Rust Martialis posted:

Yes, learn Danish instead, the sensible choice
Yep. 100 million native speakers vs. about 10 million makes it the superior choice.

david_a posted:

This isn’t a particularly new phenomena. I last lived in Sweden maybe ‘91 and when visiting every year both my mom and I remarked how Americanized everything got by the mid 90s. Bullshit phonetic English words like “fajt” and “sajt” were the first step.
Wait, what are those words supposed to be? Fight and sight? In what context do you use them?

It does remind me of the big brain Swedish plan to prevent the Americanization of Swedish music, which just produced Swedish superstar producers who'd accelerate the process.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I think it’s “site”

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Living in Malmö for 10+ years. Can confirm

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Wait, what are those words supposed to be? Fight and sight? In what context do you use them?

Fight and site (as in website). They appear to be used everywhere and it’s literally just the English words spelled phonetically. According to the app Svensk ord­bok ut­gi­ven av Svens­ka Aka­de­mi­en “fajt” dates from 1931 but “sajt” is from 1995.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
See also: tejpa, dejta, skejta

edit: fejka

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 8, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

david_a posted:

Fight and site (as in website). They appear to be used everywhere and it’s literally just the English words spelled phonetically. According to the app Svensk ord­bok ut­gi­ven av Svens­ka Aka­de­mi­en “fajt” dates from 1931 but “sajt” is from 1995.

Danish has records of "najs" from the 1920s, but that doesn't stop one people from complaining about young people saying "nice"

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Norwegian "lunsj" is supposedly ancient.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Strejk must be pretty old but in the same vein.. And sometimes we make up our own english words that native english speakers dont use. Like After-work, After-ski, Freestyle and Backslick. Or Pain riche for an older french example.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 8, 2023

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

A Buttery Pastry posted:

norwegian is the best choice, all we have to do is give the danes potato removal surgery and get the swedes some happy pills

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

BonHair posted:

This might explain how the keyboards are different for some reason.

American cultural hegemony sucks, but I don't mind taking the good bits like drag reading, guitar music and presumably a few other good things. I know my five year old son would be stoked about a fabulous queen reading stories while wearing glittery pizzazz.

Hot take, but drag queen story hour and the poo poo show that follows it is one of the stupid American culture issues that can stay in that side of the Atlantic. :colbert:

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 8, 2023

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
:chloe:

Pretty sure the poo poo show's the only problem there.

If you don't like shows like that, who gives a gently caress. Don't take your kids to see it.

Esran fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 8, 2023

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
Drag queen story hour is fine as long as they're only telling the long rambling Asbjørnsen & Moe fairytales.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
realtalk drag queen saga hour would be loving awesome and I would consider shoving kids out of the way to attend

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
"Ja, det har je hørt før," sa Tor Lerberg; "men det var inte det je mente, det var den gongen han var til brøllops i vårfjøset på Kilebakken."

"Nå den gongen, ja det var sålesses det: Det var på vårsia, rektig straks føre påsketier i atten hundre og femten, da 'n far budde på Oppen-Ela; snøen var inte borte enda. Men så skulle 'n til skogs og hogge og dra hem no ved. Han gikk opp på åsen i hellinga bortimot Ådalsveien; der fant 'n ei tørrfuru, og tel å hogge. Mea han hogg på den, syntes 'n det var tørrfuru alt han såg. Rett som han sto og glante og undres på detta, kom det kjørendes ei ferd med elleve hester, og alle var dom musete. Han syntes det såg ut mest som ei brurferd.

/

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Esran posted:

:chloe:

Pretty sure the poo poo show's the only problem there.

If you don't like shows like that, who gives a gently caress. Don't take your kids to see it.

The unedited post didn't have the sentence "and the poo poo show that follows it".

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Cakebaker posted:

Today I learned that Swedish puts æøå in the wrong order.

ftfy

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I mean, I'm pretty sure Babsan was on TV shows for kids like 20 years ago already.

And of course there's the unforgettable After Dark international megahit (it's huge in Japan) from Melodifestivalen 2007:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmKlIkTLyQE

It wasn't really anything anyone cared about until it became an American culture war thing.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 10, 2023

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

TheFluff posted:

I mean, I'm pretty sure Babsan was on TV shows for kids like 20 years ago already.

And of course there's the unforgettable After Dark international megahit (it's huge in Japan) from Melodifestivalen 2007:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmKlIkTLyQE

It wasn't really anything anyone cared about until it became an American culture war thing.

It was gross hearing SD-man talk about sexualising kids on P1. Looking at how this always plays out, SD is full of pedophiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Potrzebie posted:

It was gross hearing SD-man talk about sexualising kids on P1. Looking at how this always plays out, SD is full of pedophiles.

It was worse than gross, because I know someone who falls for the SD poo poo hook line and sinker and it was all so loving dumb. The guy hates Trump but can't make the connection between their ideologies.