Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

Australia is not in the region (neither is India), Australia is closest to the region they have. China in response, also increases cooperation in Solomon island and other pacific islands. Kind of sucking up US diplomatic energy and push the contest further east.

Well according to the US, the "Indo-Pacific" is now significant, but it also shows how far they now have to push out to pretend to contain China. I think there is still a dream that the Indian Navy is going to be sailing around the Straits of Malacca to hit the SCS.

Also, with RCEP signed, and just the sheer size of the Chinese economy, there is going to be an incentive not to directly confront China. Australia is probably going to learn the conseuqneces of this the hard way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Australia will never learn anything.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

BennyProfane posted:

Legend of galactic heroes is great, it's a materialist anime about the dumbest liberal democrats to ever exist fighting the smartest Imperial rulers to ever exist and the moral is that both systems are terribly stupid and doomed from the get go.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

They hated him for telling the truth

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Devil posted:

It never has before, why start now?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PhilippAchtel posted:

They hated him for telling the truth

past sins are never forgiven, nor forgotten, i've learned

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ardennes posted:

Well according to the US, the "Indo-Pacific" is now significant, but it also shows how far they now have to push out to pretend to contain China. I think there is still a dream that the Indian Navy is going to be sailing around the Straits of Malacca to hit the SCS.

Also, with RCEP signed, and just the sheer size of the Chinese economy, there is going to be an incentive not to directly confront China. Australia is probably going to learn the conseuqneces of this the hard way.

It looks like China is doing some basing stuff in Cambodia in the Gulf of Thailand and there's been discussion of cutting a canal through Thailand somewhere. The strait to the south is one of the worlds busiest shipping lanes so this would be pretty big stuff.
I think America is just hoping India will help contain them at the Andamans.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Orange Devil posted:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Weka posted:

It looks like China is doing some basing stuff in Cambodia in the Gulf of Thailand and there's been discussion of cutting a canal through Thailand somewhere. The strait to the south is one of the worlds busiest shipping lanes so this would be pretty big stuff.

I thought the Thailand canal was a great idea. If you look at the map, it shouldn't be that hard for China's infrastructure capability and could instantly take away half of Singapore port's sea trade traffic.

But it was briefly mentioned a few years ago and never spoken again. I think the reason is it touches too many parties pie, and Thailand has a unstable bipolar politic. And that narrow region is Thai's Muslim region, so basically the Thai version of Uyghurs, so Beijing didn't want to touch it. It reminded me of the Imperial Germany planned Berlin-Baghdad railroad that was arguably one of the triggers of the WW1.

So instead of change the sea route, China has been building HSR in Laos, and low key building railroad in part of Thailand. Since Japan has failed to build a railroad line in western part of Thailand and has nothing to show for in Vietnam at all, I think this mainland SEA railroad has good chance of connecting and running at the way to Cambodia. Everything in Thailand is so hush hush and soapy, I have no idea the progress of the Thailand portion of the rail line. Running a railroad line thru the land locked country Laos is clearly the strategically safest route against the US naval power.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 13:34 on May 8, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Slavvy posted:

I don't think so, I think it's more along the lines of 'at least someone is in charge'

Yeah while monarchists are dumb as poo poo, I guess it makes sense coming to that since every time Dems are in charge they insist actually no one has political power

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

The issue is that India really doesn't have a firm interest in shutting down global trade, as well as using significant assets to deal with China while attempting to keep an overt advantage over Pakistan and protect its nearer interests.

Yeah, I don't know if China is going to get that canal done but at the same time it is clear they are developing more infrastructure in SEA, and I think the US is going to have a top of pushback if they try to sever Chinese-ASEAN teade.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
where would this Thailand canal theoretically be?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I thought a successful space test looked like the rocket blowing up a few mintues into its flight

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

gradenko_2000 posted:

where would this Thailand canal theoretically be?

looking it up it would go something like this, which makes sense when you look at the topography

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I always forget that's Thailand poking way out into the gulf there
doesn't seem like it would really save much time compared to the existing straits for the infrastructure investment, unless the concern is that there's just too much traffic and it's slowing things down? or just trying to take some power from singapore

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I always forget that's Thailand poking way out into the gulf there
doesn't seem like it would really save much time compared to the existing straits for the infrastructure investment, unless the concern is that there's just too much traffic and it's slowing things down? or just trying to take some power from singapore

it would be more like the kiel canal than panama or the suez

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
huh. it seems to me like it'd be somewhere between 50 to 120 km long, depending on from where you start measuring and whether you count existing waterways as something that the canal would simply "link up" with

and looking it up, the Panama Canal itself is "only" 82 km

sounds doable, engineering-wise!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

KomradeX posted:

I thought a successful space test looked like the rocket blowing up a few mintues into its flight

Only way you can get data

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

gradenko_2000 posted:

huh. it seems to me like it'd be somewhere between 50 to 120 km long, depending on from where you start measuring and whether you count existing waterways as something that the canal would simply "link up" with

and looking it up, the Panama Canal itself is "only" 82 km

sounds doable, engineering-wise!

the panama canal also has the big artificial lake in the middle, im not sure how you would count it
from quickly measuring in google maps its more like 40km without it

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

lollontee posted:

past sins are never forgiven, nor forgotten, i've learned

Why is it "lollontee" and not "lolontee"?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The big engineer problem Panama canal project had to overcome was the mosquitos killing the workers. The French couldn't do it and the Americans took over, also made that part of land declare independence and basically lorded over ever since. So Thailand had to be worry about that little penis area declare independence.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am watching a youtuber video he did a recap of the Sino-US tension leading up to the 2014 SCS dispute and Island building (which I consider the official table flipping moment).

I will just type them out to refresh my memory

He considered the Sino-US relationship going downhill started from 2006

2006: currency exchange rate dispute (Schumer Graham Act), China agreed to appreciate Yuan value (from 8.3 to 7.x 6.x , limited free floating).
2008: inflation, pork price war (I don't remember this, but I will just type it out)
2010: Pivot to Asia
2012: Diaoyu/Senkaku island dispute (both side sent "non government" people to land on the island), China started regularly patrolling Diaoyu island and basically shutdown and future Japanese landing
2013: Start investigation of Huawei and ZTE

So the Sino-US competition almost has nothing to do with whoever is the head of state, the policies continue throughout multiple presidencies for both countries.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PhilippAchtel posted:

Why is it "lollontee" and not "lolontee"?

why

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
just because i want to make you ask why, doesn't mean there's necessarily an answer waiting for you

copy
Jul 26, 2007

davvidlynchontee

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
davidllynchontee, rather

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

copy posted:

davidlynchontee

you motherfucker, i saw that

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am watching a youtuber video he did a recap of the Sino-US tension leading up to the 2014 SCS dispute and Island building (which I consider the official table flipping moment).

I will just type them out to refresh my memory

He considered the Sino-US relationship going downhill started from 2006

2006: currency exchange rate dispute (Schumer Graham Act), China agreed to appreciate Yuan value (from 8.3 to 7.x 6.x , limited free floating).
2008: inflation, pork price war (I don't remember this, but I will just type it out)
2010: Pivot to Asia
2012: Diaoyu/Senkaku island dispute (both side sent "non government" people to land on the island), China started regularly patrolling Diaoyu island and basically shutdown and future Japanese landing
2013: Start investigation of Huawei and ZTE

So the Sino-US competition almost has nothing to do with whoever is the head of state, the policies continue throughout multiple presidencies for both countries.

You can go back even farther to 2000 and that spy plane the Chinese forced down. Everyone forgets that before 9/11 everyone saw Bush trying to Pivot to Asia to assert US authority there

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

KomradeX posted:

You can go back even farther to 2000 and that spy plane the Chinese forced down. Everyone forgets that before 9/11 everyone saw Bush trying to Pivot to Asia to assert US authority there

Yeah well, all Chinese know that. Bush shoveling his skyplane to the nose of the Chinese to create the next US adversary. Also bombing of the Chinese embassy. Comrade Bin Laden brought China valuable time. Your sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Oldsnakesalute.gif

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
China first started large scale rearmament/confronting USA after USA quintuple-tapped the Chinese Embassy in Belgrade.

e: beaten

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

flattening the chinese embassy and blaming it on out of date maps

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/BarneyFlames/status/1655619247828238336

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Jai hind

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

china has such an insane modern history. the country basically went through several civil wars during the warlord era, a genocidal occupation, and then another civil war in which the CPC ultimately won. someone even tried to restore the qing dynasty somewhere in between all that?

my favorite part about the brief attempted restoration of the Qing dynasty during the warlord era is that the nominal emperor didn't even know it had happened

he also did not know he had ever been overthrown in the first place, because he was an effective prisoner in the palace and the royal court carefully insulated him from the knowledge that the empire no longer existed.

getting kicked out of the palace and learning that the nation he thought he was governing had collapsed years ago and was currently in the middle of a decades-long civil war, in which none of the important players were at all interested in letting him return to power, was quite a rude awakening.

he then became a puppet ruler for the Japanese which did a good job of destroying any lingering monarchist sentiment that might have remained

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

my dad posted:

China first started large scale rearmament/confronting USA after USA quintuple-tapped the Chinese Embassy in Belgrade.

e: beaten

That makes a lot of sense

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The last emperor became the kid emperor because the Empress Dowager poisoned the previous emperor one day before her own death. That emperor was in his prime and could have done some popular reforms to prolong the dying breath of the Qing dynasty. Puyi being a kid who didn't know anything kinda made China's transformation from a gunpowder empire to a republic smoother than other old world empires.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

bedpan posted:

flattening the chinese embassy and blaming it on out of date maps

they didnt even make a genuine effort to hide that it was deliberate, openly admitting it was the sole CIA-designated target in the war. maybe they wanted to send a message? it was definitely a real pre-crack ping headscratcher to me how everyone bought the official line that oops the CIA ordered this one bombing on a low-importance target and their maps were wrong

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

eSports Chaebol posted:

they didnt even make a genuine effort to hide that it was deliberate, openly admitting it was the sole CIA-designated target in the war. maybe they wanted to send a message? it was definitely a real pre-crack ping headscratcher to me how everyone bought the official line that oops the CIA ordered this one bombing on a low-importance target and their maps were wrong

not sure if its true but i've heard the reason was that serbia gave china pieces of the f-117 they shot down, and they were keeping them at the embassy for transport.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

Yeah well, all Chinese know that. Bush shoveling his skyplane to the nose of the Chinese to create the next US adversary. Also bombing of the Chinese embassy. Comrade Bin Laden brought China valuable time. Your sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Oldsnakesalute.gif

wait what was this, I have a hole in my brain where the turn of the millennium was filed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/thinking_panda/status/1655544310849499136

china knows how to test busses :eyepop: