Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Look all I need from Kojima games is rad taktikool combat skeletons (literal skeletons)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Is that what it is? I thought you were showing me your umbilical cord.

What was the original ending like without the directors cut?

Exactly the same. Director's Cut is a marketing gimmick that even Kojima wasn't really super into. It adds a few new gameplay items and the series of missions where you repeatedly infiltrate that facility in the starting area. All the main plot stuff is 100% identical.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Most importantly, it adds a bike that makes Sam shout “I feel like Norman Reedus, from the TV show Norman Reedus’s Ride with Norman Reedus!” every time you ride it.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like in Kojima games that instead of saying "this is just like Star Trek" the NPC will ask "Have you ever seen the tv show Star Trek?" and then describe it for you in detail.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I was helping my boy climb some stuff in the playground and realized parents are essentially power skeletons for babies.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Glimpse posted:

Most importantly, it adds a bike that makes Sam shout “I feel like Norman Reedus, from the TV show Norman Reedus’s Ride with Norman Reedus!” every time you ride it.

That was in the original in case anyone without DC felt left out

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Okay.

Why did Bridget wear the Die-Hardman mask? Is it a metaphor?

If Lou is baby Sam, at what point did he separate to become Sam, and stay BB? Is this a Ha/Ka thing?

What's the point of the war flashbacks? Cliff never went through WW1/2/'Nam. Is it "Cliff is a soldier -> Cliff died with a soldier's rage -> when Cliff came back he dragged these soldiers with him?"

What was the original point of BBs? They threw in so many mostly meaningless swerves on it that it's a little unclear. BBs are for detecting the other side -> BBs are for some shady science poo poo -> BBs are somehow integrated into the chiral network.

How does a big lady tar mech end all of civilization? Like sure, the BTs and timefall storm are bad, but they don't seem like existential threats. We're to accept that it'll just get worse until attrition kills everyone?

Even with these questions neatly tied up, I think I might be done with Mr. Kojima's Wild Rides for a while. Like, sure, that sure is delToro telling me about war crimes, but the pacing and the story are all so hosed. Even MGS5 wasn't this bad, and that had some of the best stealth shootin' gameplay to make up for it. I suspect DS either clicks for you or it very much doesn't, and it very much didn't for me. I was waiting for it to get good, and by the time it did, it was a four hour cutscene where I sat on the beach as Blue Sam while Cool Motive Still A Genocider monologued at me.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I can answer... two of those:

If Lou is baby Sam, at what point did he separate to become Sam, and stay BB? Is this a Ha/Ka thing?

They're two different people. Deadman mentions that BB Lou is too young to be Cliff's child. Turns out the BB Cliff was looking for all along was you, and the memories you thought were getting from BB Lou were your own.

quote:

What's the point of the war flashbacks? Cliff never went through WW1/2/'Nam. Is it "Cliff is a soldier -> Cliff died with a soldier's rage -> when Cliff came back he dragged these soldiers with him?"

The supercells are dragging you into Cliff's beach. Each person's beach isn't.. a real space, it's influenced by their psyche-- kinda like Psychonauts or Inception

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 8, 2023

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Re the mask Bridget wears it in the flashbacks because at that time she looks like Amelie. It's a way for people (mostly us, the players) to tell them apart. Also metaphor, masks = lies pretty consistently in DS

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Okay.

What was the original point of BBs? They threw in so many mostly meaningless swerves on it that it's a little unclear. BBs are for detecting the other side -> BBs are for some shady science poo poo -> BBs are somehow integrated into the chiral network.

How does a big lady tar mech end all of civilization? Like sure, the BTs and timefall storm are bad, but they don't seem like existential threats. We're to accept that it'll just get worse until attrition kills everyone?

1) The black mask is worn by whoever is the leader of Bridges, and since Amelie/Bridgette founded Bridges before the apocalypse she wears the mask during flashbacks. As for what it represents, masks are one of the things that prevent "connection" (along with walls and cliffs), which is why Die Hardman takes off the mask in the end.

4) BBs connect the real world and the Beach, which is why they are needed to power the Chiral Network, which works through the Beach. Porters use BBs because ordinarily BTs are actually supposed to be invisible, so getting brought closer to the Beach allows you to perceive them.

5) I don't think there's ever a visual representation of this but Amelie's ultimate plan was to use the completed Chiral Network to connect her Beach with the real world, which would instantly kill everyone.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I can answer... two of those:

They're two different people. Deadman mentions that BB Lou is too young to be Cliff's child. Turns out the BB Cliff was looking for all along was you, and the memories you thought were getting from BB Lou were your own.

Oh, I did not catch that at all. I thought they just threw in time paradox, as a gag. Then what's the point of there being so much specific secrecy around BB-28? Deadman says there's a ton of extra security around it that he has to cut through.

At what point does a dead body and their soul become a BT?

Not story related, but I just did the first Halflife mission. Didn't realize what 'required: Maser gun' meant and expected it to unlock through story progression. I could've had a taser this whole time? Sure, the Bolas are probably as good, but come on. :negative:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Okay.

Even with these questions neatly tied up, I think I might be done with Mr. Kojima's Wild Rides for a while. Like, sure, that sure is delToro telling me about war crimes, but the pacing and the story are all so hosed. Even MGS5 wasn't this bad, and that had some of the best stealth shootin' gameplay to make up for it. I suspect DS either clicks for you or it very much doesn't, and it very much didn't for me. I was waiting for it to get good, and by the time it did, it was a four hour cutscene where I sat on the beach as Blue Sam while Cool Motive Still A Genocider monologued at me.

Everyone who complains about Kojima explaining the plot five times over. This, this is why

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Sorry, somewhere around hour 2 of the endgame cutscene I nodded off a little. Please will you forgive me? For my crimes? I'm really sorry I didn't pay attention to Kojima-san's screeds.

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 9, 2023

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Thundercracker posted:

Everyone who complains about Kojima explaining the plot five times over. This, this is why

a sane author who constantly encounters the fact that their plots need to be explained five times to their audience would probably conclude "my plots are too complex" or "i'm not telling my plots in a coherent enough fashion"

instead, kojima fires up wikipedia and looks up facts about rail guns

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Oh, I did not catch that at all. I thought they just threw in time paradox, as a gag. Then what's the point of there being so much specific secrecy around BB-28? Deadman says there's a ton of extra security around it that he has to cut through.

At what point does a dead body and their soul become a BT?

I don't think we ever get a reason for Lou's service record being redacted.

Necrosis generally takes around 48 hours - we see this in the opening cutscenes with Sam and Igor transporting the dead body.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Sorry, somewhere around hour 2 of the endgame cutscene I nodded off a little. Please will you forgive me? For my crimes? I'm really sorry I didn't pay attention to Kojima-san's screeds.

I spoiled myself before the final set of cutscenes and I don't regret a single bit of it. The exposition dump interspersed with the credits was truly awful. Felt like they ran out of money.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I can't believe they thought 'hold down the stick for a minute before you're allowed to sit down and hear more exposition' was good.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's literally never funny when someone does this, sorry

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you’d paid attention to the game instead of rushing in here to post how incredulous and over it you were every time Kojima did something Kojimaey you might have been able to follow the plot.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I don't fault them. The dialogue is repetitive, badly written, and poorly paced. Sometimes key points are repeated 8 times in ten minutes, other times they're mentioned as an aside and turn out to be relevant 20 hours later. The emails and database entries suffer from the same problem too.

Kojima needs an editor, badly.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We’re over 20 years in with him doing this poo poo, anyone buying his games knows exactly what they’re getting by now.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Thank you to the folks who answered my questions. I am so so so sorry to the people who I offended by not loving the KojiPro game Death Stranding

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it's literally never funny when someone does this, sorry

He’s not going to gently caress you bro

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 9, 2023

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
You don't have to like the game but the game explains everything quite clearly

Thank you to the folks who answered my questions. I am so so so sorry to the people who I offended by not loving the KojiPro game Death Stranding

He’s not going to gently caress you bro

:jerkbag:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Just stop playing! You can leave! If you don't enjoy it, hit da bricks!

For real I never get why goons do this

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Omg

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

If you’d paid attention to the game instead of rushing in here to post how incredulous and over it you were every time Kojima did something Kojimaey you might have been able to follow the plot.

I did that and it didn't help all that much.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Death stranding explained everything in the cutscenes, but it's a long game and people have terrible attention spans so it's a big ask to remember all the cutscenes.

And then you have the issue where people get bored of watching cutscenes in a game about delivering packages.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I spoiled myself before the final set of cutscenes and I don't regret a single bit of it. The exposition dump interspersed with the credits was truly awful. Felt like they ran out of money.

Kojima just does this. More than one MGS has had 3+ hours of credits interspersed with cutscenes. I want to say MGS 3 was close to 4 hours with multiple credits, then an hour of cutscenes, then credits then cutscenes... Then credits.... Then cutscenes.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
MGS4 still has the longest single cutscene of all time.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'd never played a kojima game and death stranding was great. My only criticism is that I ended up going to bed super late because of how long the ending cutscene was lol.

That and the very final area with the vents or whatever they were was a bit ehh.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

satanic splash-back posted:

And then you have the issue where people get bored of watching cutscenes in a game about delivering packages.

The cutscenes should happen while delivering packages, Have alittle ipad in the vehicles or on the wrist jobby for the ziplines. Might be weird for Sam to watch himself in cutscenes but, good.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

mycot posted:

MGS4 still has the longest single cutscene of all time.

I still remember the France level where you sneak about 20 meters and there's just back to back to back 30 minute cutscenes between like a minute of gameplay.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I found the plot incredibly confusing and hard to understand beyond the overall broad strokes. But I enjoyed the delivery and I kinda think Kojima goes for vibes over cohesion sometimes. I just don't think it would be the same without the too-long cut scenes that are jam packed with corny metaphor.

I kinda think there is a story telling technique in here - you convince the player to accept some absurd bullshit like calling someone die hardman or whatever and it makes the normal plot points hit harder and feel more grounded - relative to the absurd bullshit you just learnt. Granted, not all story telling techniques work on everyone, but kojimas sure do work for me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He has his own distinct style, but also his plots are absurdly stupid, or stupidly absurd, or possibly both.

So if the style doesn't click with you then you just have a plot that doesn't really make a lot of sense and requires a ridiculous amount of buy-in, and not in a fun way, because the style is what makes it fun, it's like watching an alien try to make a human movie.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Just installed this on my PS5 after realizing my PC just can't run it. I still love this strange loving game. I can't wait to see what the sequel is about.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Picked it up on that recent Humble Choice it was a headliner for, and holy crap the game is consuming me. I've bounced hard off of everything else Kojima's done, which made me shy away from this for a long time, but once I started it up it just clicked with me instantly. I do not know why I have connected so well with a game where you carry boxes around and occasionally hold down the trigger buttons in case a slightly large rock is in your path, but I have.

It's amazing how easy it is to just doot around, losing hours while shuttling stuff from place to place, barely realizing that time has slipped on and-- wait a loving minute, is that what the timefall is actually about? Did I just get metaphored at by you, Kojima?! You bastard!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
My backlog suffers but I'm getting tangible likes on my road improvements

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Building a zip line route that let me traverse the entire map was *extremely* satisfying. gently caress you last prepper guy and your stupid out of the way bunker I'm gonna zip line in and deliver your stuff whether you like it or not.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'm still so tickled that a trilobite with an umbilical cord was a plot point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I'm just happy that no matter how hosed up the future gets, I can still get minifigs and pizza delivered to my hole in the earth.