Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Kyte posted:

It literally says only boys were allowed to go on that trip. Iroha was spared because he was mistaken for a girl. The phrasing is for dramatic effect.

Also chapter 1 establishes that pretty firmly as well.
Yeah that was how I took it as well.

The last page is probably saying more about that character (who isn't in Iroha's class) than about Iroha. Or possibly it's just part of all of them being sinister for the hell of it since they're our next challengers.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shinji2015 posted:

I'm less worried about that being a thing if only because right now the MC still thinks of himself as an adult; him taking being called creepy extra hard because it was coming from a middle schooler and he found the idea horrifying feels like a good sign of what direction the series is going in that regard. I think having his ex-wife around (and probably his kid in the future) will also help

IMO it'll probably go the route of the girl getting a crush on him, but him definitely not reciprocating in any way.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Kyte posted:

It literally says only boys were allowed to go on that trip. Iroha was spared because he was mistaken for a girl. The phrasing is for dramatic effect.

You're right, I think with what was happening at the start at the chapter, I just misread it and my confusion snowballed from there.

Ytlaya posted:

IMO it'll probably go the route of the girl getting a crush on him, but him definitely not reciprocating in any way.

I think so too

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fabricated posted:

I can't recall, did they have working antibiotics for TB in the 50's?

Yes. The first effective one, streptomycin, was 1944. Youd be hard pressed to find it as an orphan in firebombed tokyo though

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I said it a few weeks ago, enjoy Fabricant while it lasts. That training arc upgrade was a death flag. But I really appreciate how this manga keeps sticking to its major conceit. The Fabricant aren’t human and never will be human

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth TNT posted:

I said it a few weeks ago, enjoy Fabricant while it lasts. That training arc upgrade was a death flag. But I really appreciate how this manga keeps sticking to its major conceit. The Fabricant aren’t human and never will be human

Yeah from rankings it did not do well, so I am not hopeful. Man I feel I always make bad gambles on Jump series to get invested in.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah this last chapter pretty much solidifies it's ending this arc

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah from rankings it did not do well, so I am not hopeful. Man I feel I always make bad gambles on Jump series to get invested in.

There's been almost nothing that's been safe to bet on anyway. Akane Banashi is the only thing with more than 25 chapters and fewer than 100. Seems like everything else has just been a revolving door.

e: okay so Blue Box is at 99 but you get what I mean.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 8, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they've been churning through new series looking for the next big hit. they don't want moderately popular, moderately successful manga. though to be fair, most of the stuff getting the axe is complete garbage.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I've think that you should never get invested in any WSJ manga under like 100 chapters. You're just playing russian axe-roulette every week, it's not good for mental health.

That said, if Polar Opposites gets the axe, I might just lose it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they've been churning through new series looking for the next big hit. they don't want moderately popular, moderately successful manga. though to be fair, most of the stuff getting the axe is complete garbage.
I kind of get it. Nougami neuro ran for 200 chapters but what's really the point when rear end class was immediately 10x more popular. I enjoy plenty of longer running series that arent explosively popular but it doesnt make a whole lot of business sense in WSJ specifically.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

No Wave posted:

I kind of get it. Nougami neuro ran for 200 chapters but what's really the point when rear end class was immediately 10x more popular. I enjoy plenty of longer running series that arent explosively popular but it doesnt make a whole lot of business sense in WSJ specifically.

I think the issue is that there's a need for the sales of related products, like toys/games, which requires a series be popular enough to warrant producing toys/anime for it in the first place. And even though I like Fabricant, it doesn't lend itself well to that.

I imagine that they probably always want at least __ number of ongoing series like this, at least within the "action/fighting" genres (which a series like Fabricant belongs to).

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So how about the Dandandan? :cripes: these last few chapters have been seriously wtf.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Darth TNT posted:

So how about the Dandandan? :cripes: these last few chapters have been seriously wtf.

We have a thread for it! I think I’ve teared up in every chapter of the current flashback.

Dandadan is seriously amazing and you all should read it!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Band of Grannies is one long gut punch but I relish it.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Are webtoon format comics or app-based manga that are more indie something that's popular in Japan right now? With how unappealing some of the revolving door series have been in Jump lately it just makes me wonder if it's maybe a recruitment issue. Mangaka are known for their grueling schedules so if there's an alternative maybe the best they're getting are generally more along the lines of Earthchild and Aliens Area.

Also that new manga by the Bone Collection author, Do Retry, seems like a big improvement in art style. Hard to believe it's the same person. I'm invested entirely for the post-war time period though, I'm always interested in seeing the Japanese perspective on the Pacific Theater of WWII and postwar period.

PringleCreamEgg fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 8, 2023

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Reiche posted:

We have a thread for it! I think I’ve teared up in every chapter of the current flashback.

Dandadan is seriously amazing and you all should read it!

I was wondering how a series like that didn’t have a thread! :woop: found it!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah I feel like the end of One Piece now being visible on the horizon, at least internally and probably for some time now, has SJ kind of panicking.

MHA and JJK being in their endgames is also probably not helping at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mashle and black clover are also wrapping up. undead unluck is probably getting there, too.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Oh Snapple! posted:

Yeah I feel like the end of One Piece now being visible on the horizon, at least internally and probably for some time now, has SJ kind of panicking.

I've noticed that yeah. Outside of those three I'm largely drawing a blank on big name marketable money makers from Jump outside of Spy x Family and Chainsawman and the former is every two weeks and don't know of either really pushes the numbers that any of the others do.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

mashle and black clover are also wrapping up. undead unluck is probably getting there, too.

I am an absolute sucker for any chapter that ends with announcing either the start of a new arc or, most dramatically, FINAL ARC (hello Black Clover).

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I've think that you should never get invested in any WSJ manga under like 100 chapters. You're just playing russian axe-roulette every week, it's not good for mental health.

That said, if Polar Opposites gets the axe, I might just lose it.

polar opposites runs on jump+ which is online only and has a pretty good track record wrt axing stuff

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I’m still annoyed they ended PPPPPP. It and High School Family were just suddenly shut down and I feel that PPPPPP still had enough great story beats to explore. It wasn’t like it’s sales were terrible either

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
PPPPPP faffed about for weeks after the last climax and didn't seem to have a direction, on top of being just a really bizarre manga in general. I know it had a fanbase, but I'm not surprised it was canceled, is what I mean.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Oh Snapple! posted:

I don't disagree that the publishers would really like to have a replacement for One Piece lined up, but based on all precedent, isn't the final arc of One Piece probably going to be like...as long as the rest of the series combined. So another 20 years

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm resigned to the idea that Jump, in a blind panic, will chrun through a ton of series and the one that would have been The Next One Piece™️ will be in that pile of bodies.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm resigned to the idea that Jump, in a blind panic, will chrun through a ton of series and the one that would have been The Next One Piece™️ will be in that pile of bodies.

Yeah, like, Demon Slayer didn't become the giant it is now until close to the end of its run, and I kinda feel like that it wouldn't have gotten that far under current Jump

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I mean let’s be real here, demon slayer only really got big at all because the anime massively improved on the source material and was the first exposure most people had to the series

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also like Jump has loving always operated like this lol.

Kimetsu no Yaiba/Demon Slayer was a middle of the pack rated jump series until it got it's anime and blew up in popularity, but it was never like unpopular. But yeah the Anime made it something more.

It's just that now we over here get almost every series that is in Jump that is not like extremely japanese(and even then sometimes shout out to Cypher Academy), and we see almost every series. So we note when some series that most people would have never heard of or seen 10 years ago is canceled.

In every era of jump there has been large amounts of turnover, it's just now we see it, because we are seeing poo poo getting translated on sundays that like might previously get translated like 2 weeks later by like the 4 people who got the magazine and saw the raws and were interested in the series.

Like something like Yozakura Family in the 00s and early 10s would be some series that would only get translated in batches when the tanks get out. Or people reading text translations, along with looking at Raws.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 9, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dexo posted:

It's just that now we over here get almost every series that is in Jump that is not like extremely japanese(and even then sometimes shout out to Cypher Academy), and we see almost every series. So we note when some series that most people would have never heard of or seen 10 years ago is canceled.

Give us Medaka Box, you cowards. (I'm kidding. I get why.)

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I mean let’s be real here, demon slayer only really got big at all because the anime massively improved on the source material and was the first exposure most people had to the series

Eh, I do agree with the latter part in that the adaptation is just more welcoming due to its visuals but I think saying "massively improved" is an overstatement that doesn't give enough credit to the strength of the manga up to the point of the adaptation. It was knocking pretty much every single big fight out of park from mugen train onward to the end, even if there's some...wonky stuff during the closing arc due to whatever circumstances caused the manga to head into its conclusion where it did. It was an extremely good manga and ufotable basically yelled at the top of their lungs thru animation that folks were missing the gently caress out.

Dexo posted:

Also like Jump has loving always operated like this lol.

Kimetsu no Yaiba/Demon Slayer was a middle of the pack rated jump series until it got it's anime and blew up in popularity, but it was never like unpopular. But yeah the Anime made it something more.

In every era of jump there has been large amounts of turnover, it's just now we see it, because we are seeing poo poo getting translated on sundays that like might previously get translated like 2 weeks later by like the 4 people who got the magazine and saw the raws and were interested in the series.

Like something like Yozakura Family in the 00s and early 10s would be some series that would only get translated in batches when the tanks get out. Or people reading text translations, along with looking at Raws.

This is a pretty good point tbh, it's weirdly hard for me to remember those days despite not even being all that long ago.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 9, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

I've noticed that yeah. Outside of those three I'm largely drawing a blank on big name marketable money makers from Jump outside of Spy x Family and Chainsawman and the former is every two weeks and don't know of either really pushes the numbers that any of the others do.

Chainsaw Man's sales dropped a bit for part 2, even with the anime boost, but it's still a better seller than anything in Jump right now except the big three. Meanwhile, Spy X Family has insane sales, with over 2 million copies per volume average, even beating out MHA.

If we're looking at cancellations, then one thing to consider, if a series survives the first couple volumes, is growth potential. Even if growth is slow, a title that's picking up new readers is probably worth keeping around.

Ruri Dragon is probably the thing Jump's most disappointed in, looking at recent titles. Instant smash hit, still has attention all these months later, but the author isn't in any shape to produce new volumes last time anyone heard. It's Tantalus in manga format.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hooooly poo poo the Viz app just added an insane smount of new series

Like just looking it over...

Ranma 1/2
Komi Can't Communicate
Inuyasha
Case Closed
Flame of Rekka
Zom 100
Junji Ito's stuf
Fushi Yugi
Magi
Urusei Yatsura
Persona 5
Probably other stuff I'm missing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 9, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That rocks! I've been meaning to finish Ranma one of these days. Always been curious about Inuyasha too, only saw a bit of the anime version, and the first manga vol.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I was confused why I wasn't finding before looking it up and discovering Viz has two different manga apps.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

I was confused why I wasn't finding before looking it up and discovering Viz has two different manga apps.

I just updated my current one and it all showed up.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

I just updated my current one and it all showed up.

I mean there's the Shonen Jump app and then there's the Viz Manga app and I thought their SJ app was their manga app this whole time.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Holy poo poo didn't realize Komi and Sleepy Princess were around long enough to have over 400 and 300 chapters respectively.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
US/CAN only. Its not quite the sawdust in the mouth Kodansha's offering is but its not far off it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
gently caress yeah flame of Recca