Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

gradenko_2000 posted:

How far of a distance could you cover at hypersonic speeds if you "only" had five minutes to do it

I think not very far 300+ miles

Basic Poster has issued a correction as of 05:36 on May 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

only go hyper sonic at the end.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
death from above bitches

https://twitter.com/dafengcao/status/1043036417843056641

fear the balloon

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cuttlefush posted:

... is this a trick question about non-dimensional mach number or parabolic trajectories and ground distance or something?

no, it wasn't. I was reacting to the post saying that hypersonic missiles needed to withstand re-entry-level temps for "tens of minutes", so I was trying to get perspective on how far you could go if you didn't have that.

but thank you for the responses

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

no, it wasn't. I was reacting to the post saying that hypersonic missiles needed to withstand re-entry-level temps for "tens of minutes", so I was trying to get perspective on how far you could go if you didn't have that.

ah, yeah. no it's more that if you're going at hypersonic speed you're subjecting parts of your missile to re-entry level temps, i believe. from reading some papers on design/testing the issues weren't actually re-entry, it was actually sustaining hypersonic speeds in a scramjet. iirc it wasn't really comparable to re-entry in the sense that you have to "survive" re-entry temps and can just use a heatshield. it was more like shocks develop at certain temp/pressure regimes that rip apart part of the scramjet or that some temperature/pressure regime just does not work for thrust with some configuration. that's mostly stuff that has cropped up and been solved repeatedly in normal jet engine designs.

I'll dig through my posts here because I'm pretty sure I posted someting addressing exactly that. also I recall one of the more immediate problems was they there were too few or no require wind tunnels to actually design things in the right regimes. so it's not really a materials science problem in the sense that re-entry shielding is. it's more like trying to make sure you can turn the re-entry plasma air into the right temp/pressure of air for the engine to keep working properly, and to do that over a very wide range of temps/pressure of incoming air. and also to deal with all the kinds of shocks that can occur or weird little aerodynamical edge effects that can get ignored at mach 2 but can melt the leading edge of anything at mach 7 because they're a little thin film of superhot compressed air

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol they are going to build rods from god

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

I made a few posts about this not too far back in the thread but they dont seem super coherent. https://secwww.jhuapl.edu/techdigest/content/techdigest/pdf/V18-N02/18-02-Waltrup.pdf is a pretty brief history of early development that doesn't really go into technical detail but shows what the historical hurdles were, how they got solved, and where things ended. that's from 1997 but i think development kinda stayed there until a few years ago-ish.

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/R/R45811/35 is a a congressional research service report i posted before and it's a bit cooked but it seems pretty useful for the actual state of things now and what challenges are. or at least what us politicians might think those are.

honestly the issues for congress portion of that is interesting and tells a lot of the story. also the emphasis on not having the right kind of wind tunnel for testing/design. basically it sounds like there's no big technological hurdle at play here that russia and china solved that the US can't. pretty sure it has something to do with how comparatively advanced the US progression into neoliberalism is and how the quarterly event horizon prevents any planning from escaping into the future.

basically i think lockmart et al realized that Star Citizen has the most profitable business model possible and they are doing that and making up various names for potential hypersonic missile projects and powerpoints but nobody will build a wind tunnel. (that's not true because tehre is live testing, but it seems kinda truthy)

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/anders_aslund/status/1655218769583566848

the woke general that everyone hated? is gone, does that change anything

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Should have saved this test for Blinken's China visit.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Looks like the Navy is starting on their new frigates. I wonder what hilarious shortfall these will have after the various LCS

CODChimera posted:

https://twitter.com/anders_aslund/status/1655218769583566848

the woke general that everyone hated? is gone, does that change anything

Surely eliminating any contradictory voices on the war will lead to success

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

KomradeX posted:

Looks like the Navy is starting on their new frigates. I wonder what hilarious shortfall these will have after the various LCS

Surely eliminating any contradictory voices on the war will lead to success

Biden is surrounding himself with yes men and members of his own political faction obviously.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Biden is surrounding himself with yes men and members of his own political faction obviously.

Surely the sign of a successful war

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

How loving hard is it to do OHP II, with modern sensors?

There are great warship designs from the 60's that basically would only need new sensors and more modern power plants fitted and would be great.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Frosted Flake posted:

There are great warship designs from the 60's that basically would only need new sensors and more modern power plants fitted and would be great.

Not costly enough

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

lame

bring back the California-class

all nuclear navy

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The Constellation is a actually just an existing Italian/French frigate, it isn’t anything wild. They only buying a limited run of them though and it is unclear how they are going to come out from the shipyard.

More recently Fincantieri’s CNC machines and network was hacked but they said it wasn’t a big deal.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Frosted Flake posted:

X-posting

They added tiers to the meetings I have to attend with the MIC
Complimentary coffee unlocked!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

“new sensors and a modern power plant with distribution to match” is itself expensive.

Though after the dumpsterfire LCS, the FFG(X) is using a proven design as the base ship itself instead of a novel design.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i think the us surface navy is just absolutely hosed at the moment at most levels and they're gonna gently caress up any ship they can procure. you don't end up with something like the freedom and independence by accident. they will be able to gently caress up whatever the new frigates end up actually being in the end. or if all else fails, crash them into other ships. surface fleet is all hosed up

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Chinese surface fleet building makes US surface fleet building look like Russian surface fleet building

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

KomradeX posted:

which shipyard are they being built at?

that was a big part of the LCS.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i think the russian stuff actually worked when it was turned on though

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Bar Ran Dun posted:

which shipyard are they being built at?

that was a big part of the LCS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fincantieri_Marinette_Marine?useskin=vector

not sure if they're building any of them elsewhere

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
the trimiran one was designed from https://www.austal.com/ships/benchijigua-express, which is a trimiran fast ferry. same dimensions pretty much. it seems pretty reliable for a fast ferry but also it seems to have similar propulsion issues. i think the lack of sacrificial anodes and other hosed up hull problems might be unique though (or were those the non-trimiran design?)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Just copy the type 055, easy.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

French frigates, malafon for everyone.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

oof looks like they made the same mistake again. literally one of the LCS shipyards.

brown water US tug yard being managed by an Italian cruise ship maker.

lol they’re going to gently caress up again.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It's going to be hard to surpass a ship that corrodes in seawater, but I believe in American ingenuity.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I just remembered about the Zumwalts and how they planned for 30 of them ans built 2. lol all around

Being succeded by another iteration of ship you replaced is funny. Especially since I remember the 90s and how this was going to be just like F-117, an unsinkable Navy

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

KomradeX posted:

I just remembered about the Zumwalts and how they planned for 30 of them ans built 2. lol all around

Being succeded by another iteration of ship you replaced is funny. Especially since I remember the 90s and how this was going to be just like F-117, an unsinkable Navy

also it was supposed to have a rail gun but they scrapped it after the ammo cost like $10 million a shot

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

KomradeX posted:

they couldnt even be bothered to make a high poly model for it

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

also it was supposed to have a rail gun but they scrapped it after the ammo cost like $10 million a shot

Just a mountain of lols

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
A patriot missile is 4 mil a shot and you always shoot two. So it's about the same cost. Maybe they couldn't get the railgun to work at all?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

KomradeX posted:

Just a mountain of lols
https://twitter.com/Aviation_Intel/status/1469419196635176960

They also forgot that seawater is good at corroding things when they designed the advanced radar-absorbing panels.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

KomradeX posted:

Bath Iron Works. No wonder they were surprised by salt water.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

WrightOfWay posted:

It's going to be hard to surpass a ship that corrodes in seawater, but I believe in American ingenuity.

brown water tug / laker folks.

the hulls on the Great Lakes just never corrode. there are hundred + year old ship hulls on the lakes. some of the tugs are … older.

these also aren’t yards that would have had experience with galvanic corrosion on mixed metal hulls. The bigger bluewater shipyards do.

it was exceptionally stupid the first time. I don’t like the brown water / blue water divide/snobbery in the US, but lol there it is. and they’re doing it again. lmao.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

genericnick posted:

Bath Iron Works. No wonder they were surprised by salt water.

now they should have known better.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Just give me the money. I’ll sub it out without fuckups.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

American naval tech going the route of American space tech, went from moon travel in the 50s to exploding unmanned flights that destroy the launchpad.

America will fight WW3 with wooden boats that somehow still cost 870 million a pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
its also fun that a single Chinese shipyard has more thru-put and capacity than all the US shipyards combined. and they have 13 ship yards total pumping out combat and support ships. i think they surpassed us in ship count and we don’t have the parties or enough private sector desire or know how to meet them.

China can probably just run out the clock another year or so and walk into Taiwan.