Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Willa Rogers posted:

I feel seen.

lol good news if you don't have enough retirement savings you can just work until you die!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostse.cx
May 5, 2023

by Games Forum

How will Tom Hanks turn into Fred Savage now?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

One is to keep working.

this reads best when spoken from the position of the aristocracy

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

wasn't happy with UBS's offer presumably

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

Part of this is that media literally only shows a lifestyle that exists for maybe 10% of the population, or even less if you want to talk about the percentage of the population that can afford that lifestyle without financial stress. It creates a ton of absurd contradictions and completely poisons any kind of public discourse.

And then social media turns this into a nightmare feedback loop where everyone has to present a fake life to keep up with a status quo that nobody is actually living, and the worse everyone's life gets the more they have to overcompensate in their presentation.

So we end up in this situation where if you scroll through Instagram it seems like everyone is living their best lives and all their dreams are coming true and every day is such a joy, but then you go and look at statistics and it turns out everyone is anxious, depressed, drowning in debt, suffering from imposter syndrome, etc.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

sullat posted:

IIRC Canada has some too

Yeah... the first one I remember was in 1989, and that was a Canadian.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

im_sorry posted:

That one spurred a lot of gun control laws. One thing america will not do.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

is pepsi ok posted:

So we end up in this situation where if you scroll through Instagram it seems like everyone is living their best lives and all their dreams are coming true and every day is such a joy, but then you go and look at statistics and it turns out everyone is anxious, depressed, drowning in debt, suffering from imposter syndrome, etc.

It amazes me that people were talking about this as far back as when Facebook first became a thing and all we've done is accelerate the process to the moon. The original problem with social media was that everyone talked about their life like they were bragging at a high school reunion, but IG and TikTok are filled with loving social media "professionals" who spend absurd amounts of money to portray a completely unattainable lifestyle. It's insane.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

im_sorry posted:

1938 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsuyama_massacre :ohno:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

When's his onlyfans starting

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

dxt posted:

lol good news if you don't have enough retirement savings you can just work until you die!

Or just die instead of working. We have plenty of fent and guns lying around.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My favorite part of the Theranos saga was how obviously bullshit it was and how evasive they were being the entire time but the investors still just ate it the gently caress up and went :hmmyes: mystery box.

They even brought along a lab scientist or pharmacy guy and they didn't even pretend like they were going to listen to him and instead went to a sushi restaurant and clapped like seals at the performative nonsense they trotted out. No one was ever going to not be good paypigs for Bloodbae.

Vox Nihili posted:

Italy was one of those countries that got wrecked by COVID almost on the level of the US. Could be a downstream impact of the impact on the older workforce plus energy prices connected to the Ukraine war. For whatever reason it's no longer popular to bring those up when rising prices get mentioned, but the EU in particular is still looking at major cost increases due to the war.

Italy had the most American like healthcare system, particularly in Lombardy, which has the most American system in all Italy.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

You Don't Mess with the Zoltan.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

You'd think credit suisse would've been proactive and gone for a trade plus cash considerations because they need it. Now you get nothing and have to skim the free agent pool!

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Intel is really getting clobbered in the server market eh?

https://twitter.com/dylan522p/status/1655048861084450816

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Beached Whale posted:

Intel is really getting clobbered in the server market eh?

https://twitter.com/dylan522p/status/1655048861084450816

Yikes, and where a bunch of their plants are in Oregon they are building luxury homes around a million. In a somewhat impoverished area, there really isn’t much else around there for high pay jobs other than intel. Seems bad!

This is on the heels of cutting compensation a few months back too so they could pay a dividend.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

blatman posted:

i loving love millet

ill grab an entire stick of millet with my foot and strip it bare with my wonderful beak

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BIRDSHED

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

Part of this is that media literally only shows a lifestyle that exists for maybe 10% of the population, or even less if you want to talk about the percentage of the population that can afford that lifestyle without financial stress. It creates a ton of absurd contradictions and completely poisons any kind of public discourse.

Coupled with the fact that TV constitutes the bulk of people's "lived" experiences and interactions with this society.

I should know, because I was such a person :smith:. Isolation as a teenager meant the only time I would see people interacting with each other was on a screen. I got really good at making tv show references and not so much the socializing, and then weird kid gets isolated and the cycle continues. This is also why a lot of guys are running around with guns thinking they're going to Live Free or Die Hard and why people think relationships and dating work in a way that it doesn't in real life. Everyone is watching shadows on the wall and forming their worldview based on that.

I figure this is also why people get their hackles up pretty much only about media properties not doing the thing they want. This is society to them, and it's unfair that these people aren't on the TV or that these people are on too much and that this TV show should have a THIS telegraphed moral.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

so the details of TD's anti-money-laundering measures are sufficient for them to carry out normal operations, but insufficient to get regulatory approval for a merger. got it.

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1655634663145127937

quote:

The banks called off the proposed union Thursday, citing uncertainty over whether and when they could receive regulatory approvals, without being more specific.
The regulators’ concerns stemmed from the way TD handled unusual transactions in recent years, and the speed at which some of them were brought to the attention of U.S. authorities, the people said. Under the Bank Secrecy Act, financial firms are required to report suspicious activity within 30 days of discovery. The bank flagged 28 customer transactions in the period, one of the people said.
TD’s problem with its anti-money-laundering procedures is the latest in a series of regulatory and legal difficulties the bank has had in the U.S. in recent years.

In 2020, the bank reached a $122 million settlement with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, which found it had charged customers overdraft fees for ATM and one-time debit-card transactions without obtaining their consent.

In February, TD agreed to pay $1.2 billion to settle claims related to the bank’s involvement in R. Allen Stanford’s two-decade-long Ponzi scheme, for which he was convicted in 2012.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

webcams for christ posted:

so the details of TD's anti-money-laundering measures are sufficient for them to carry out normal operations, but insufficient to get regulatory approval for a merger. got it.

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1655634663145127937

As a big bank, just how obvious do you have to be to get in trouble for this sort of thing? Also I think First Horizon is fishy too, they gobbled up a bunch of smaller banks quickly and were trying to get bought out, I think… I think that our banking system might not be strong or stable.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Nodelphi posted:

As a big bank, just how obvious do you have to be to get in trouble for this sort of thing?

I imagine it's got to be pretty loving bad.

another leading indicator dropped:

https://twitter.com/KevinPerjurer/status/1655637993548308485

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I imagine it's got to be pretty loving bad.

another leading indicator dropped:

https://twitter.com/KevinPerjurer/status/1655637993548308485

The dining plan probably requires a Disney sherpa so you can determine this week's meta for the most optimal experience and build .

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i could reasonably guess but what the gently caress is a disney dining plan

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

is it paying a flat rate for two meals a day per stay at a qualifying walt disney world resort™️ or something

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

admitting that markets have incorrectly priced in rate cuts in Q3 & Q4 2023. prepare accordingly

https://twitter.com/bloombergasia/status/1655597918433230849

add JPMorgan Chase to the list

https://twitter.com/BloombergAsia/status/1655640060547457035

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

dxt posted:

I'm a step ahead of you, friendo.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

desantis’ entire plan has been to setup timebomb policies in Florida that make good sound bites for the baying chud hogs on a national level and escape to national politics, a shot at the presidency, before his policies really hit the fan and Florida bursts into flames. Turns out he’s a sniveling nerd that people don’t actually like so now he’s squirming because it’s looking more and more likely he can only perform well in Florida and his sacrificial offering of the state is gonna go off with him still there

I kinda get that so many failsons are incapable of thinking more than five minutes ahead. And that DeSantis is just throwing anything out there that scores him points with the ravenous horde that is his core voter base. But at some point doesn’t he have to think at least far enough out for the next election? Or at least have some sort of advisor to think that far ahead for him? Doesn’t matter how many points he scores today, if his state implodes before the primary election even starts, much less the media cycle for the regular election.

I guess I just haven’t been brain damaged by money/power enough to not think through the repercussions at least somewhat.

Ghostse.cx
May 5, 2023

by Games Forum

triple sulk posted:

is it paying a flat rate for two meals a day per stay at a qualifying walt disney world resort™️ or something

I can't speak for Disney, but the nearby amusement park, has a plan attached to the season pass where if you pay extra, you get one meal* per day at the park. There are people who go to the park every day to eat said meal, which I guess might be worth it if you live close enough and like overpriced hamburgers.

*restrictions apply

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Orvin posted:

I kinda get that so many failsons are incapable of thinking more than five minutes ahead. And that DeSantis is just throwing anything out there that scores him points with the ravenous horde that is his core voter base. But at some point doesn’t he have to think at least far enough out for the next election? Or at least have some sort of advisor to think that far ahead for him? Doesn’t matter how many points he scores today, if his state implodes before the primary election even starts, much less the media cycle for the regular election.

I guess I just haven’t been brain damaged by money/power enough to not think through the repercussions at least somewhat.

Supposedly DeSantis is a pissier bitch than Trump is and pissed off a substantial portion of his campaign advisors and staff to the point that they switched to Trump and are feeding him information on DeSantis' weaknesses.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Orvin posted:

Desantis is a moron op hope this helps

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

skooma512 posted:

Coupled with the fact that TV constitutes the bulk of people's "lived" experiences and interactions with this society.

I should know, because I was such a person :smith:. Isolation as a teenager meant the only time I would see people interacting with each other was on a screen. I got really good at making tv show references and not so much the socializing, and then weird kid gets isolated and the cycle continues. This is also why a lot of guys are running around with guns thinking they're going to Live Free or Die Hard and why people think relationships and dating work in a way that it doesn't in real life. Everyone is watching shadows on the wall and forming their worldview based on that.

I figure this is also why people get their hackles up pretty much only about media properties not doing the thing they want. This is society to them, and it's unfair that these people aren't on the TV or that these people are on too much and that this TV show should have a THIS telegraphed moral.

This thinking has also completely taken over politics too, both in the sense that politics is presented like a TV show and that people can only conceive of politics as interactions between notable characters.

Trump is seen as the good economy guy not because of anything he's actually done, but because that's what his character is. He's the business guy and Republicans are the economy party. Everyone knows that. Just like everyone knows the Dems are the party that cares about minorities. Their actual record on minorities is immaterial because caring about minorities is their role on the show.

The war in Ukraine isn't allowed to be placed in a historical context because that is taken as a suggestion that didn't flow entirely from Putin, the main villain of the story.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

is pepsi ok posted:

This thinking has also completely taken over politics too, both in the sense that politics is presented like a TV show and that people can only conceive of politics as interactions between notable characters.

Trump is seen as the good economy guy not because of anything he's actually done, but because that's what his character is. He's the business guy and Republicans are the economy party. Everyone knows that. Just like everyone knows the Dems are the party that cares about minorities. Their actual record on minorities is immaterial because caring about minorities is their role on the show.

The war in Ukraine isn't allowed to be placed in a historical context because that is taken as a suggestion that didn't flow entirely from Putin, the main villain of the story.

💯 the meanest thing you can do to the average American voter is remember things

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Horseshoe theory posted:

Supposedly DeSantis is a pissier bitch than Trump is and pissed off a substantial portion of his campaign advisors and staff to the point that they switched to Trump and are feeding him information on DeSantis' weaknesses.

Try to imagine a better form of government, I dare you.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Ghostse.cx posted:

I can't speak for Disney, but the nearby amusement park, has a plan attached to the season pass where if you pay extra, you get one meal* per day at the park. There are people who go to the park every day to eat said meal, which I guess might be worth it if you live close enough and like overpriced hamburgers.

*restrictions apply

I used to think going to Costco for lunch daily sounded stressful but this is significantly worse. People can’t assemble a PB&J at home, huh.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

skooma512 posted:

When I was just a lil' undergrad Hubbert, I picked up a copy of Jerry Mander's Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television for some light summer reading.

Thanks to that book, I no longer watch television (except for maybe The Last of Us), and now very rarely watch movies.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Father Wendigo posted:

Exactly!

Unrelated: My close friend, age 42, with good cholesterol and in good general health was admitted to the ER yesterday for a stroke. She had caught COVID twice in the course of taking care of her parents, and her doctor says they're seeing a lot of under-50s who've had rona having inexplicable clotting issues. Seems bad that we could lose another quarter of our workforce!

you could never prove this is caused by covid. (there's simply no way to come up with a control group.)

why do you hate science?

s0j
May 17, 2003

get fucked, round-eye

https://twitter.com/cohensite/status/1655265957525200898?s=12

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Rateghazi ain't goin away!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Investor sentiment over the last several years is like the irrational exuberance equivalent of priapism