Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s pretty wholesome after the first episode, they touch on him being over involved with his clients. It ended up way more wholesome than what I was expecting during the first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sad question
May 30, 2020

I finished the new All Creatures Great & Small. Warm blanket of a show

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I am trying to like Florida man, but there isn't single likeable character in the entire show. However, I want to see where it is going, so I tolerate it at 1 episode per evening-pace.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Finished off Patriot - bummer it didn't get more than the two seasons, but what a fun, insane ride it was.
Anyone that likes Barry would probably like this too.

The ending wasn't super satisfying, but sad John was appropriate enough at mirroring my own feelings re: no more show.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Spermanent Record posted:

Wow this is great! Thanks for the recommendation!

We started watching Shrinking but I'm not convinced. Is this show going to end up with some kind of anti mental health message? I'm a bit worried that The ending of ep 1 gives a real good lesson in why there are ethical boundaries between patient and provider. Are they then going to U turn into some fantasy where mentally ill people just need someone to talk to?

I don't need that in my life right now.

Eh. It does and doesn’t say that. Jason Segel does still kind of land on the side of saying, “professional boundaries are an impediment to Actually Helping People.” But he muddies up his life pretty badly doing that, and Harrison Ford is pretty clear about how those boundaries were explicitly built to prevent that. There are multiple points where the dual relationship he forms with his clients overtly hurts the therapy process.

Maybe it’s just because of Jason Segel, but the larger thread I picked up was a kind of Apatow-ian “the protagonist needs to get his poo poo together” thing. It’s less about his therapy approach being right or wrong, and more about how his own mental health is turbo-hosed and is why he’s acting out like this.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Angryhead posted:

Finished off Patriot - bummer it didn't get more than the two seasons, but what a fun, insane ride it was.
Anyone that likes Barry would probably like this too.

The ending wasn't super satisfying, but sad John was appropriate enough at mirroring my own feelings re: no more show.

If you're itching for more.....be sure to check out 'Perpetual Grace LTD'. Another Steve Conrad show. Came after 'Patriot' and only got one season on Epix. Hoping they do another.....but tone and pacing is exactly like 'Patriot'. Michael Dorman was even supposed to play the lead....but was cast in 'For All Mankind'. Jimmi Simpson is great as the lead though.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Shrinking rules and it addresses all the questionable stuff pretty well.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Any fun series with action, drama, and humor? I love Leverage and Leverage Redemption and I'm looking to fill the void. I don't have HBO, Showtime, or Apple TV.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Finally got around to Chucky S2 and it was great! I love the contrast between the more "serious" stuff involving the kids, and the wacky antics of Tilly, Glen/Glenda(played wonderfully by Lachlan Watson) and Nica. Not quite as "shocking" as S1 (though one death I did NOT expect) but still just as hilarious. Looks like S3 started filming a few weeks ago but now with the strike I imagine things are on hold for a bit.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Any fun series with action, drama, and humor? I love Leverage and Leverage Redemption and I'm looking to fill the void. I don't have HBO, Showtime, or Apple TV.

Might be easier to name which platforms you do have (and the country you're posting from though I'm guessing it's the US).

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Person of Interest and Justified often fit that bill, some episodes more than others but they're fun and have a great cast each.

You could also catch some older shows like Chuck, Burn Notice and the newer La Femme Nikita

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Person of Interest and Justified often fit that bill, some episodes more than others but they're fun and have a great cast each.

You could also catch some older shows like Chuck, Burn Notice and the newer La Femme Nikita

Seconding Burn Notice, its criminally good for meshing Comedy, Drama and Action.

Banshee and Warrior are also absolutely incredible in that regard, but Warrior and Banshee are lighter on the humor but greater in the Action and Drama.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Burn Notice is criminally under-appreciated. I think it's because it was on TNT/USA or whatever. Really made sure the only people to watch it were old people.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Sweet Tooth on Netflix: Evil Shel Silverstein vs the Jellicle Cats in pre-apocalyptic Idaho.

There's some interesting world-building. Wouldn't have minded more of that and less narrator. Precocious Children get a little overwhelming.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

I've watched three episodes of 'Shrinking' and it's kind of boring and a lot of the jokes seem very recycled. Fortunately it's likeable enough to continue.....but it doesn't seem like it's going to get any better than just okay.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Open Source Idiom posted:

Might be easier to name which platforms you do have (and the country you're posting from though I'm guessing it's the US).

US

I have Netflix, Hulu, Prime, Paramount, Peacock, Freevee, and whatever the gently caress Tubi is

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I've watched three episodes of 'Shrinking' and it's kind of boring and a lot of the jokes seem very recycled. Fortunately it's likeable enough to continue.....but it doesn't seem like it's going to get any better than just okay.

I loved it but if you aren’t into it at this point then I don’t think it’s gonna be for you. The tone is pretty firmly established after the first couple episodes.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I agree with the jokes. I feel like the show is something you would find on primetime network TV, just add a laugh track.

Plus the massive facial plastic surgery work that next door neighbor lady has had is SUPER distracting to me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

US

I have Netflix, Hulu, Prime, Paramount, Peacock, Freevee, and whatever the gently caress Tubi is

Aight, so Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, Preacher and Future Man are all on Hulu.

Legends Of Tomorrow is on Netflix, though I only like that show from Season 3 onwards.

They're all a bit more genre than Leverage though.

Burn Notice is also on Hulu, I get the vibe it might be your thing too.

Also, last I checked, Prime has Farscape, which is awesome... after about sixteen episodes. But it's a very good, dumb time. They had the Matrix guys come in and co-ordinate a fight scene they shot in the pitch black, where the entire thing is just lit by them firing live flares at each other. Great show.

You might also enjoy Reacher, and Upload (not quite an action thing though). Also both on Prime.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 9, 2023

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
A few of those look like they'd be right up my alley. Thanks for the suggestions.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I agree with the jokes. I feel like the show is something you would find on primetime network TV, just add a laugh track.

Plus the massive facial plastic surgery work that next door neighbor lady has had is SUPER distracting to me.

That's exactly what I thought. Pull out the language and downgrade the actor budget and 'Shrinking' is a network television show. Probably one of the better network shows.....but that doesn't change the fact that this all seems very vanilla. Like ChatGPT wrote it.

Again...not saying that I dislike it or that it's bad. Just bland. Excelling in mediocrity.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 9, 2023

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Buttchocks posted:

Sweet Tooth on Netflix: Evil Shel Silverstein vs the Jellicle Cats in pre-apocalyptic Idaho.

Precocious Children get a little overwhelming.

Yeah that turned me off it. Tonally it doesn't work for me with a very serious dark and gritty world shifting to cutesy kids with bunny-ears and whacky hijinks.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Yeeeah. I was watching shrinking week to week. I accidentally skipped an episode and didn’t even notice. That’s when I realized this show is kinda meh and there were better things to watch.

To me it’s the “Harrison Ford sits” show.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Same with Shrinking. We watched the first 3 episodes also over a week and never went back to it. It just seemed very average.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I'll be the minority report and say I really enjoyed Shrinking, one of the better things I've watched this year.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

jokes posted:

Burn Notice is criminally under-appreciated. I think it's because it was on TNT/USA or whatever. Really made sure the only people to watch it were old people.

I'm watching it and its good stuff. Fiona is a great character and Donovans maniacal grin never gets old. the plot and what actually happens on the show are kind of whatever though

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Owling Howl posted:

Yeah that turned me off it. Tonally it doesn't work for me with a very serious dark and gritty world shifting to cutesy kids with bunny-ears and whacky hijinks.

I thought the tonal whiplash worked better than having it dwell too much in either extreme. I just really hate that kid's voice. And also that everyone kept doing irredeemably stupid things because the story needed someone to be imperiled 50 times an episode.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Shrinking did actually get better after the first three episodes. Not by a lot....but enough that it was worth finishing the season. Probably won't tune into a second season.....but who knows.

Watched the first couple episodes of the third season of 'The Other Two' and I'm confused by the detached reality thing that's going on.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Shrinking did actually get better after the first three episodes. Not by a lot....but enough that it was worth finishing the season. Probably won't tune into a second season.....but who knows.

I thought it peaked with the house party episode, unfortunately, and then just lost momentum after. But I was there for the drama, and it seemed like it was pivoting to more of a (post-season 1) Cougar Town vibe.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Watched the first couple episodes of the third season of 'The Other Two' and I'm confused by the detached reality thing that's going on.

Yeah, those two episodes pumped considerably pumped up the surreal, particularly the second episode. Didn't hate it though. Despite being about real-ish people and real-ish situations The Other Two's always been a bit lightweight. The show becoming less tethered to reality makes it a bit more meaningful tbh, since it allows the show's episodes to make more of an impact. Not sure I'd like it to see it go the full Search Party, but the show's definitely entered a more elastic and cartoon-y reality and I'm okay with it being there.

That said, and maybe it's too early to call, but I also thought the character work this season is probably the strongest and most dramatic the show's been so far.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Binging through Patriot after seeing it recommended on here so much, 3/4 of the way through the first season and really enjoying it. The offbeat pacing of the story is really weird, the way it jumps back and forth through different stories and timelines, repeated scenes etc, I'm not sure if its badly edited or everything has a greater thematic reason that I'm missing half the time. Still really interesting and unique show though, definitely recommend for any Barry fans. One storyline I am not enjoying is him loving with the guy he pushed in front of the bus. It feels like its supposed to be dark comedy but the guy is too likeable for it to work and its hard to watch him deliberately mess with the guys mental health .

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Annabel Pee posted:

Binging through Patriot after seeing it recommended on here so much, 3/4 of the way through the first season and really enjoying it. The offbeat pacing of the story is really weird, the way it jumps back and forth through different stories and timelines, repeated scenes etc, I'm not sure if its badly edited or everything has a greater thematic reason that I'm missing half the time. Still really interesting and unique show though, definitely recommend for any Barry fans. One storyline I am not enjoying is him loving with the guy he pushed in front of the bus. It feels like its supposed to be dark comedy but the guy is too likeable for it to work and its hard to watch him deliberately mess with the guys mental health .

One of us!

Regarding your spoiler there is a constant theme that John will do whatever it takes to accomplish the mission. Good or bad, he'll do what he has to.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just finished up the first three episodes of The Diplomat, and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. The writing and pacing are tight, Kerri Russell is killing it and she has fantastic chemistry with her "husband" Rufus Sewell.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Hughmoris posted:

Just finished up the first three episodes of The Diplomat, and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. The writing and pacing are tight, Kerri Russell is killing it and she has fantastic chemistry with her "husband" Rufus Sewell.

So many other interesting characters as well. Even one scene bit parts feel fully fleshed out and serve a clear purpose.

sad question
May 30, 2020

I finished last season of Code Black. Notable dumb storylines:

- There's an accident during dance competition. Two rival teams almost have a brawl in the er. When their differences are resolved they have an impromptu dance off in the lobby. One of the paramedics starts dancing too
- One character starts talking to a person only he can see. You think it's schizophrenia but he disappears when character completes his character arc so I guess it was actually a ghost. A second ghost in the show!
- In the finale a small plane crashes into the hospital for some reason

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have an opinion on Jury Duty? Seen it mentioned (mostly positive) in articles but can’t remember if it’s been mentioned in this thread.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Anyone have an opinion on Jury Duty? Seen it mentioned (mostly positive) in articles but can’t remember if it’s been mentioned in this thread.

I brought it up and recommended it. It's so well done and came together perfectly

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I had a blast watching it. Think The Joe Schmo Show if you watched that. The only real difference the actors stay in character during their talking head segments until the last episode. The 'soaking' scene is the hardest I laughed all year.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Great to hear! I’m gonna queue it up this evening & give it a spin.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

HBO's Somebody Somewhere is excellent smalltown drama-comedy stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.
I recently got Hulu so I've been binging a lot of their stuff, all the older series. My favorites so far have been 12 Monkeys and Castle Rock. 12 Monkeys is an excellent time travel story/love story and the best part is everything was nicely wrapped up in the end. Then Castle Rock was a close second, and only lesser than 12 Monkeys because it only had 2 seasons. I liked how each season had its own story. I'm just sad that by the end of the second season, even though it wrapped up nicely, it was obvious the writers were building up to a bigger mythology about "why do all the bad things happen here" but they never got to tell that part of the story. I'm also slowly going through Justified, and that's good so far, although I think I'd be entertained with anything Walton Goggins is in. He's just so ridiculously talented.