Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Crab Dad posted:

My piece of poo poo fence hopping, wetback grandpa only got papers for marriage to another Hispanic born here and he slipped into the Trump sphere and has said the most vile things about migrants. To forget your roots so completely and cheer on the dehumanizing of a people only wanting to survive is just the lowest.

Here's a long article on that kind of thing that might explain a bit of all that stuff. https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/11/17/trump-latinos-south-texas-tejanos-437027

It's not just white people that surrender to gently caress you, got mine-ism. The same "kids have it so easy, back in MY day" people are some of the same people that will go "well back when *I* broke the law to come here" during the next bout of caravan fever. Assimilated racism maybe?

It's real, real complicated mental poo poo, but sorry your grandpa's a dehumanizing shitbag.

More current eventy example:

https://twitter.com/AndyBCampbell/status/1655316078052909056

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Elon is replying to people posting straight up white supremacist talking points now. He's also questioning the sources for the guy being a white supremacist.

Which made me think of that.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

fknlo posted:

Elon is replying to people posting straight up white supremacist talking points now. He's also questioning the sources for the guy being a white supremacist.

Which made me think of that.

For some reason I'm instantly reminded of

https://twitter.com/MELANIATRUMP/status/234002950274560000

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

facialimpediment posted:

Here's a long article on that kind of thing that might explain a bit of all that stuff. https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/11/17/trump-latinos-south-texas-tejanos-437027

It's not just white people that surrender to gently caress you, got mine-ism. The same "kids have it so easy, back in MY day" people are some of the same people that will go "well back when *I* broke the law to come here" during the next bout of caravan fever. Assimilated racism maybe?

It's real, real complicated mental poo poo, but sorry your grandpa's a dehumanizing shitbag.

More current eventy example:

https://twitter.com/AndyBCampbell/status/1655316078052909056

"And exceedingly few identify as people of color. (Even while 94 percent of Zapata residents count their ethnicity as Hispanic/Latino on the census, 98 percent of the population marks their race as white.) Their Hispanicness is almost beside the point to their daily lives."

“I think when people say they don’t like Mexicans, to me it means a Mexican citizen, or a Mexican national, who has crossed illegally,” says Barrera, the Starr County Republicans chair. “And then again, not all Mexicans look alike. So when they say they don’t like Mexicans, I don’t think it means me. … It means a Mexican national who has broken the law.”

Delusional assholes who dont think that actual white supremist see them as light-skinned gamerwords.

The article is very right about them being highly conservative by nature due to religions and culture (especially the most recent arrivals).

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 8, 2023

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
And if y'all need a happy bedtime story before you fall asleep:

https://twitter.com/binance/status/1655402071435411457?t=B5j-B4nMS5q9Pn4SPXBdZA&s=19

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
funds are SAFU (Stolen Away From Us)

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

countdown to "we got conveniently hacked and have no more money"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
this is the second withdrawal shutdown in 24 hours

lol, and to clarify, lmao.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Can crypto just loving die already?

I mean, the last year has been really funny with the idiots losing the money and going to jail and whatnot, but that's a really easily erasable carbon cost right there.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Elviscat posted:

Can crypto just loving die already?

I mean, the last year has been really funny with the idiots losing the money and going to jail and whatnot, but that's a really easily erasable carbon cost right there.

drat it's almost like it was custom made to gently caress up economies, fund criminal enterprises, and put unnecessary strain on first world infrastructure.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 8, 2023

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Just last week there was a guy in my neighborhood that wanted to set up a "crypto club" to get people interested and to "teach" them about how great crypto is. Now I need to remember which platform they posted on so I can ask how this latest debacle will be weathered by crypto.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Wasabi the J posted:

drat it's almost like it was custom made to gently caress up economies, fund criminal enterprises, and put unnecessary strain on first world infrastructure.

It was made so a toy train enthusiast could buy the good poo poo from the UK and get it shipped to California without jumping through currency exchange hoops or getting murdered on exchange rate shenanigans that were standard in the 00s. The unscrupulous types of the world just recognized its potential for criminal use which prompted the train enthusiast to delete everything he had related to it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
bring back the good old days where we just bought grey market drugs via liberty reserve transfers and the like

honestly it was usually less of a hassle than bitcoin, because the operators had an actual economic incentive to make the service usable instead of mostly trying to raise the speculative value of an inherently worthless asset

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

It was made so a toy train enthusiast could buy the good poo poo from the UK and get it shipped to California without jumping through currency exchange hoops or getting murdered on exchange rate shenanigans that were standard in the 00s. The unscrupulous types of the world just recognized its potential for criminal use which prompted the train enthusiast to delete everything he had related to it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I was hoping the FTX debacle would have shown people that crypto is not a good idea, yet here we are with a world of people who think they're the smartest in the room.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I was hoping the FTX debacle would have shown people that crypto is not a good idea, yet here we are with a world of people who think they're the smartest in the room.

I keep thinking the same thing.

This morning, my wife said something that made me pause. Her response to this latest fiasco was, "who cares, it's just fake money like everything else." I think that rationale is exactly why these exchanges continue to endure. For many, there is no difference between the current economic system and crypto, it is just a different flavor. She went on to compare crypto to the Discover card, "THAT currency isn't accepted everywhere, but we don't call it fake."

I don't agree with it, but I see how they connect the dots.

Crypto supporters have woven this fabric in such a way that normal people can and will "connect the dots" into becoming a true believer.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Keep your wife away from your investments

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Keep your wife away from your investments

She is horrible with investments. It's strange, she is great with numbers (she likes to balance the checkbook). But she is horrible with money.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The bottom line is that fiat currencies can be used for anything and they're worth something because the governments say so and said governments are backed up by armies, with guns, and allies, and everyone is mostly in broad agreement. And governments can only do so much with their own currencies until inflation/deflation happens.

Crypto currencies can be used for ????? and they are worth ????? because ????? and said valuations are backed up by ????? and everyone is ????? and inflation/deflation is oh gently caress I triple mortgaged my house and my crypto is worth half what I paid help what do I do

The one big alternative to either that always comes up are goldbugs - that gold can be used for ?? and are worth ?? because OOH SHINY and said valuations are backed up by IT'S SO loving SHINY and everyone is oh gently caress this deflation is so loving brutal dear gently caress this was a mistake gently caress me

Cryptopushers and "well, it's just paper fiat" don't really track the above.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Crypto's sole utility is money laundering. Everything else is window dressing for that core principle or just speculators getting in on a popular thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

The bottom line is that fiat currencies can be used for anything and they're worth something because the governments say so and said governments are backed up by armies, with guns, and allies, and everyone is mostly in broad agreement. And governments can only do so much with their own currencies until inflation/deflation happens.

Crypto currencies can be used for ????? and they are worth ????? because ????? and said valuations are backed up by ????? and everyone is ????? and inflation/deflation is oh gently caress I triple mortgaged my house and my crypto is worth half what I paid help what do I do

The one big alternative to either that always comes up are goldbugs - that gold can be used for ?? and are worth ?? because OOH SHINY and said valuations are backed up by IT'S SO loving SHINY and everyone is oh gently caress this deflation is so loving brutal dear gently caress this was a mistake gently caress me

Cryptopushers and "well, it's just paper fiat" don't really track the above.

That and even crypto fans don't use or treat it like currency: They treat it like a security like a stock. They don't even understand the difference. They also don't understand the basics of stock trading, this is obvious when you heard the poo poo like 'hodl' and 'to the moon' without understand that the purpose of holding stock is to eventually sell it to make money when the value increases.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 8, 2023

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1655593398647111690?s=20

I'm still holding out hope that someday, the Assad family's legacy will be a bunch of rust-colored stains on a bullet-pocked brick wall. That chinless fucker and his evil wife should have been waxed back in 2012.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

CommieGIR posted:

That and even crypto fans don't use or treat it like currency: They treat it like a security like a stock. They don't even understand the difference. They also don't understand the basics of stock trading, this is obvious when you heard the poo poo like 'hodl' and 'to the moon' without understand that the purpose of holding stock is to eventually sell it to make money when the value increases.

the hodl types make sense, it's just that you aren't using the same hosed up logic they are. if everyone holds and doesn't sell, value goes up up up, because selling makes number go down and buying makes number go up. so if everyone holds, supply goes down, demand goes up, wow our coins are worth $billions! now we sell

they're just deluded into thinking that it will ever take off or reach that point

same genius brains behind the idea that (the very last value someone paid for a 'coin') x (number of 'coins') = "market cap"

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/USARPAC/status/1655376977334013952

A Brave Troop

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/kombiz/status/1655615124789506063?t=ShJOTrymV8PzIL7WfgYwQA&s=19

https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/1018509832045854721?t=Qh5-uyEOKZJt0cLD1c4C3Q&s=19

Some people always knew and will forever haunt him from the afterlife until some rando registers @SimonMaloy to pitch everyone on a new cryptocoin.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Oh God *wrings hands pathetically* who will protect the tweet wisdom?! Sir, have you no decency

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

This is not really defendable as a current event but it needs to be shared

https://twitter.com/NorthmanTrader/status/1655543975254654976?t=U9gm8M6QxiQXF3OWLFQONQ&s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

This is not really defendable as a current event but it needs to be shared

I'd post pictures of the Texas shooter that just came out (from bellingcat et al), but I'm really not sure about forum policy on swastikas and poo poo. Dude had a big ol' Texas tattoo on his shoulder, then the classic SS bicep tattoo and the American History X swastika chest tattoo.

And classically, there were Actual People complaining in the comments that he couldn't have been a white supremacist because he was hispanic.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Crypto's sole utility is money laundering. Everything else is window dressing for that core principle or just speculators getting in on a popular thing.

https://twitter.com/JosephPolitano/status/1653785501881577475

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
More hilariously, some "privacy focused" people created a cryptocurrency called Monero that has, as part of its transaction system, built-in mandatory money laundering.

Needless to say, it's considered to be of extremely ill repute and is almost exclusively used for buying illegal poo poo on the darknet.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

I'd post pictures of the Texas shooter that just came out (from bellingcat et al), but I'm really not sure about forum policy on swastikas and poo poo. Dude had a big ol' Texas tattoo on his shoulder, then the classic SS bicep tattoo and the American History X swastika chest tattoo.

And classically, there were Actual People complaining in the comments that he couldn't have been a white supremacist because he was hispanic.

Just picture Edward Norton in American History X as far as the tattoos go and you're pretty much spot on.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Link to tweets? I didn't see anything with a dirty check

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bulletsponge13 posted:

Link to tweets? I didn't see anything with a dirty check

Scroll down for lots of fun and NBCNews confirms:

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1655626460999155712

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/texas-mall-shooter-shared-extremist-beliefs-jews-women-apparent-social-rcna83336

And speaking of, guess who got charged today?

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1655668855740440596

Four misdemeanors and based on past cases, maybe looking at a short jailterm and three years probation, but she's definitely getting arrested.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A designer being shown a tweet that his ex with the pink beret is wanted by the FBI, while shopping at Joanne Fabrics, is just too funny.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

facialimpediment posted:

And speaking of, guess who got charged today?

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1655668855740440596

Four misdemeanors and based on past cases, maybe looking at a short jailterm and three years probation, but she's definitely getting arrested.

Jenny they've got your number.
They're gonna prosecute those crimes.
Jenny they've called your number.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wrong Theory posted:

Jenny they've got your number.
They're gonna prosecute those crimes.
Jenny they've called your number.
3-5-0-1-2-5-Go!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Tell me what you want to know
Oh come on, oh come on, oh come on
There ain't no motive for this crime
Jenny: ex girlfriend of mine

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
She wore a raspberry beret
The kind you'd find in a secondhand coup

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

She wore a raspberry beret
The kind you'd find in a secondhand coup

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Hindu Love Gods 'Raspberry Beret' > Prince version.

Fight me.