Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This game seems riddled with very minor poor design choices. Even if I buy out every store for all their arrows (which also creates a rupee problem), you just never have enough. I just noticed while fighting respawning arrow-firing minions, the game seems to actually limit how many arrows you can pick up from missed shots per enemy. Why do they make it so frustrating on the player?

Still a great game, but pointing out the flaws as I come across them.

Also, re: master sword you are pretty hosed if you don't pull it immediately after getting the 11 glyphs. The dragon never seems to spawn. I heard there is a quest that will give it an objective marker at some point.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

Khanstant posted:

That is something you can warp to one the starter island, or idk I can warp there anyway not sure when I unlocked it since I forgot about it for most of my playtime. You feed it 100 energy triangles and it upgrades your battery

There's one right next to Lookout Landing too.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Do the quest for Robbie/the next one to follow the statues ASAP. It leads to multiple new abilities and gives you a much better place to upgrade your energy.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

socialsecurity posted:

Do the quest for Robbie/the next one to follow the statues ASAP. It leads to multiple new abilities and gives you a much better place to upgrade your energy.

I did the first one for him down on the depths but then he says he's going to stick around to see how the research goes. How do I get him to move? I'm over doing the Rito stuff now. I checked back but he's still standing around.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't think it's a design problem, it's part of the same philosophy for weapon durability. I don't think they game every really stick you anywhere you have to have an arrow. Some Korok puzzles for shooting balloons even, I've been out of arrows and completed them by throwing poo poo or sticking a laser on my shield.

The relative scarcity of arrows also makes them a meaningful reward in chests, or something to get you to bust open chests and things to get a few arrows to do this or that on the fly, procuring on site, and if not, finding another solution. They give you the tools to turn into weapon into a missile and poo poo you can chuck in lieu of arrowing.

I don't think it would be better if they just gave you infinite arrows or so cheap and plentiful they might as well be. Shooting things with arrows can often be a really risk free way to defeat enemies without engaging with them directly, and thus skipping all the fun interactions and other tools you have for dealing with them.

Same goes with rupee use if you are burning it all on arrows, or the other things you wanna buy. Rupees matter now. I'm happy to get a 50 or 100 rupees reward, hell, I help out sign guy because that 20 rupees helps.

If you dont have enough arrows you actually too much of your other stuff.

Chriswizard
May 6, 2007
I'm stuck at a shrine quest in West Necluda. I need to "give keys born of water" to the three altars, but can't figure it out. I suspect I'm doing something wrong in trying to transform water states via fire or ice.

Chriswizard
May 6, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

I did the first one for him down on the depths but then he says he's going to stick around to see how the research goes. How do I get him to move? I'm over doing the Rito stuff now. I checked back but he's still standing around.

I got him to move by advancing the storyline a bit.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Chriswizard posted:

I got him to move by advancing the storyline a bit.

yeah i had done the rito and goron areas, then went back to lookout and that questline progressed

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Khanstant posted:

I don't think it's a design problem, it's part of the same philosophy for weapon durability. I don't think they game every really stick you anywhere you have to have an arrow. Some Korok puzzles for shooting balloons even, I've been out of arrows and completed them by throwing poo poo or sticking a laser on my shield.

The relative scarcity of arrows also makes them a meaningful reward in chests, or something to get you to bust open chests and things to get a few arrows to do this or that on the fly, procuring on site, and if not, finding another solution. They give you the tools to turn into weapon into a missile and poo poo you can chuck in lieu of arrowing.

I don't think it would be better if they just gave you infinite arrows or so cheap and plentiful they might as well be. Shooting things with arrows can often be a really risk free way to defeat enemies without engaging with them directly, and thus skipping all the fun interactions and other tools you have for dealing with them.

Same goes with rupee use if you are burning it all on arrows, or the other things you wanna buy. Rupees matter now. I'm happy to get a 50 or 100 rupees reward, hell, I help out sign guy because that 20 rupees helps.

If you dont have enough arrows you actually too much of your other stuff.

It teeters the border of being annoying but doesn't cross into genuinely painful. If you are fighting an enemy or boss that essentially REQUIRES you to use arrows in order to effectively fight it, there should always be a way to get more arrows. So if a boss is spawning minions that shoot you, it isn't exactly a big deal that you be able to dodge their shots and restock your arrows, but the game is quick to cut you off. I've never been down to zero arrows in such a situation so maybe if you are at zero arrows it gives you a break.

As far as the rupees go, I was ok stockpiling at first when I was selling every gem I came across, but you actually need those in sometimes absurd quantities to upgrade things. You can unlock all 4 great faeries relatively early on as they are all pretty shallow into the wilderness of the map from central Hyrule, but even at like 70? 80? hours into my playthrough, it seems almost unheard of to upgrade past even the first level of armor because of the resources it uses.

The bigger annoyance I think is rock hammers and bomb flowers. I've had to leave caves before because there either weren't enough random rusty weapons laying around, or weren't enough rocks to fuse with them in order to break the rock walls that were both gratuitous in number for one area, and also WAY too thick. If I need to go through an ENTIRE weapon or like 4 bombs to get through one wall, it goes beyond an issue of resource management and into poor calibration of what resource management entails.

It's all just tuned a little too much into annoying, but never into the category of unplayable.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have so so many arrows, idk how people are running out. I have like 450

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

One thing I've noticed is that BotW streamers (not the pros, the FIRST PLAYTHROUGH types) are just constantly out of arrows, which makes sense. Their viewers don't want to watch them obsessively stopping at Beedle, they want to watch them do divine beasts and poo poo. I've always been an arrow hoarder, I assume I'll make it through TotK just fine.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Part of it in this game might be the constant want to fuse things to arrows instead of throwing them. Bombing something? Bomb Arrow. Glowseeds? Glow Arrow. Etc.

For such a cool feature, the game punishes you a bit for using it when you should just be throwing things.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah i throw my bombs and glow flowers and stuff

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Breakable boxes and jars and stuff seem to mainly have arrows, I feel like if you get in the habit of breaking them it goes a long way against arrow problems despite using a lot. I don't really remember the first game being like that so it might be something people just have to get used to

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
also, I still dont know what a reclaimer statue is despite having a 4 digit number of poes

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

BabyRyoga posted:

also, I still dont know what a reclaimer statue is despite having a 4 digit number of poes

there's one in lookout landing right next to where robbie is usually sitting in the first floor of the lab, you can then give him more poes to mark others on your map

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

As far as the rupees go, I was ok stockpiling at first when I was selling every gem I came across, but you actually need those in sometimes absurd quantities to upgrade things. You can unlock all 4 great faeries relatively early on as they are all pretty shallow into the wilderness of the map from central Hyrule, but even at like 70? 80? hours into my playthrough, it seems almost unheard of to upgrade past even the first level of armor because of the resources it uses.

The bigger annoyance I think is rock hammers and bomb flowers. I've had to leave caves before because there either weren't enough random rusty weapons laying around, or weren't enough rocks to fuse with them in order to break the rock walls that were both gratuitous in number for one area, and also WAY too thick. If I need to go through an ENTIRE weapon or like 4 bombs to get through one wall, it goes beyond an issue of resource management and into poor calibration of what resource management entails.

I got the great faerie number 2 last night and upgraded a bunch of my stuff to level 2. There's a few parts I just haven't seen yet but I try to have like at least 1 of everything I come across. Which makes giving Beedle my beetles annoying but I guess that's why I got em haha.

As for your rock issues, have you been to death mountain lately? I keep maybe 1 rock hammer on me now after my time meditating there. Check it out.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I switched over to yuzu and the game is running a lot better for me than ryu. There is a cloud fix now and everything seems to be working really well. Textures are all fixed too it seems. I would link to the reddit thread I followed, but I don't know if it's against the rules.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think so long as you're not linking directly to files.

The custom Ryujin build I've been using has been fine except for when it slows down in big cities or only some certain underground zones. Plus some really unfortunate crashes that did reset progress on a quest, but that would be a problem without crashes if you tried to save mid mission and reload it.

I have been tempted to try out the Yuzi loadouts I assume you're talking about but didn't want to mess around with it when I could just keep playing as is lol

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

The subbreddit is called newyuzupiracy and the thread has may 8th in it. I won't link directly to it. I can delete if this is against the rules.

I just followed that guide minus the 8th step since that was messing up for me.

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Hey guys, I hope you won't mind me jumping in here because I have a really silly, specific question about the game that I haven't seen any answers to: can you register mounts other than horses at the stables, such as bears, deer or any of the other rideable animals from BOTW that couldn't be kept as mounts? Thanks for indulging me, hope you're all enjoying the game.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

huh I haven't tried to mount bears or deer but I assume you wouldn't be able to.

Also, you still can't pet the dogs :(

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

The final power you get on your wheel sure is great, and I implore everyone to go get it as soon as possible. I somehow stumbled onto it and I'm guessing you can go the whole game without it maybe?

For a vague hint: check under the great plateau
For a direct hint: it's in the depths directly below the temple of time ruins on the great plateau in an impossible to miss giant building

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

This cave system under lookout is never ending.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Kaboobi posted:

The final power you get on your wheel sure is great, and I implore everyone to go get it as soon as possible. I somehow stumbled onto it and I'm guessing you can go the whole game without it maybe?

For a direct hint: it's in the depths directly below the temple of time ruins on the great plateau in an impossible to miss giant building

is it the autofuse one?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

queeb posted:

is it the autofuse one?

yeah, but it does quite a bit more than that and also lets you straight up build prefab stuff out of a small amount of zoanite

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Kaboobi posted:

yeah, but it does quite a bit more than that and also lets you straight up build prefab stuff out of a small amount of zoanite

lmao yea hi found that by accident too and as soon as i noticed that i was like holy poo poo

edit: does 1 large zonite charge give more than 5 small ones in a gumball machine?

queeb fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 8, 2023

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Kaboobi posted:

Go talk to Robbie at Lookout Landing as you've already done those quests now, it leads to more basic functionality.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I like than in this jumping puzzle I can just build a meteorological globe and just climb my way up and up and up.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

socialsecurity posted:

Go talk to Robbie at Lookout Landing as you've already done those quests now, it leads to more basic functionality.

he's still telling me to go to his hateno lab so I'm doing that now

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BabyRyoga posted:

Part of it in this game might be the constant want to fuse things to arrows instead of throwing them. Bombing something? Bomb Arrow. Glowseeds? Glow Arrow. Etc.

For such a cool feature, the game punishes you a bit for using it when you should just be throwing things.

Yeah, this is what prompted me to ask in the thread about throwing stuff. I fortunately have realized pretty early that I need to stop using arrows for stuff like "clearing sludge with water."

I need to find a good source of eyes though (either from the bats or the bigger flying enemies). Those are so convenient for stuff like hunting, because I'm terrible at aiming at running animals.

Khanstant posted:

I'm happy to get a 50 or 100 rupees reward, hell, I help out sign guy because that 20 rupees helps.

I like the sign guy just because doing puzzles that involve building stuff never gets old for me, even when the puzzle is simple. I have bad spatial skills, so something as simple as "criss-crossing a couple logs and attaching them to a platform to hold up the sign" makes me feel clever.

Orienting stuff correctly (and just manipulating it in general with Ultrahand) is also getting much easier as I get more used to it.

Wiltsghost posted:

I switched over to yuzu and the game is running a lot better for me than ryu. There is a cloud fix now and everything seems to be working really well. Textures are all fixed too it seems. I would link to the reddit thread I followed, but I don't know if it's against the rules.

The latest Yuzu is working well for me as well (I also downloaded someone's shaders who completed the game, and I think they're working since I haven't had any stuttering). I haven't been to the abyss yet (which I understand was a source of problems), but everything else I've done has looked fine and run well at 60fps and 2x resolution*. A couple days ago it still looked weird.

The one issue I've encountered is that the weapon/shield icons look weird, but this isn't exactly a big deal.

* it's not clear to me if this is 1440p or 4k; I'd assume 1440p, but the edges look sharper than that. Either way it looks good.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 8, 2023

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Khanstant posted:

I think so long as you're not linking directly to files.

The custom Ryujin build I've been using has been fine except for when it slows down in big cities or only some certain underground zones. Plus some really unfortunate crashes that did reset progress on a quest, but that would be a problem without crashes if you tried to save mid mission and reload it.

I have been tempted to try out the Yuzi loadouts I assume you're talking about but didn't want to mess around with it when I could just keep playing as is lol

I did that today and it was a bit of a pain to set up but the graphics and performance are enormously better. Like I didn't think they were bad on Ryujinx, mostly worked pretty well for me, but Yuzu is a huge improvement. Game looks and runs very very well.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

queeb posted:

lmao yea hi found that by accident too and as soon as i noticed that i was like holy poo poo

edit: does 1 large zonite charge give more than 5 small ones in a gumball machine?

I think it's about the same, but there seems to be a multiplier involved so throwing 5 in of (whatever) will get you more than throwing in 5 (whatevers) 1 at a time

I've just been "priming" the gumball machines by throwing in sets of 5 small ones until I get at least 1 of everything from that machine so that the list of stuff available shows up on the map, and then deciding where to blow the 5 big ones at a time at based on what I need

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Well that was fruitful. Just got a full set of armor exploring this place.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

goferchan posted:

I did that today and it was a bit of a pain to set up but the graphics and performance are enormously better. Like I didn't think they were bad on Ryujinx, mostly worked pretty well for me, but Yuzu is a huge improvement. Game looks and runs very very well.

Yeah I just watched a video of the setup footage and man, that poo poo was like butter. And watching them go from surface to depths without any weird slowdown or stutter, oh man that was satisfying, like pulling a popcorn shell out of your gums after it's been there the whole movie.

Definitely will bother updating Yuzu to try that out, but with 30fos mod bc the cutscenes in this own and the speedup there was a bit weird.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Khanstant posted:

Yeah I just watched a video of the setup footage and man, that poo poo was like butter. And watching them go from surface to depths without any weird slowdown or stutter, oh man that was satisfying, like pulling a popcorn shell out of your gums after it's been there the whole movie.

Definitely will bother updating Yuzu to try that out, but with 30fos mod bc the cutscenes in this own and the speedup there was a bit weird.

Did you purge the shader cache before playing the 1.1 patch? I know I cheerlead Ryujinx all the time but that was an issue with both and the shader caches combined caused a lot of stuttering and crashes.

That's for Yuzu too if anyone's having issues after updating to 1.1 but kept your cache. not saying that's Khanstat's problem, I was just losing my mind by all the slowdowns and crashes til I purged it

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I think my proudest moment in this game so far was welding a korok to the horse tow bar and dragging it across a field to its buddy

If you're running this on Yuzu definitely look up the code for forcing full resolution rendering. It doesn't make much of a difference in framerate for me and holy poo poo the difference in fidelity at 1440p is huge.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 9, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Kaboobi posted:

Oh my god how did I miss this place and power until now

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Barreft posted:

Did you purge the shader cache before playing the 1.1 patch? I know I cheerlead Ryujinx all the time but that was an issue with both and the shader caches combined caused a lot of stuttering and crashes.

That's for Yuzu too if anyone's having issues after updating to 1.1 but kept your cache. not saying that's Khanstat's problem, I was just losing my mind by all the slowdowns and crashes til I purged it

I did. I actually wasn't having slowdown issues the first day or 2 with the custom Ryujin. What I did for the problem areas was switch to OpenGL, since the slow mo was more painful than shader stutter, and then back to Vulcan once I'm out of problem area.

I did all the custom Yuzu stuff during last bit of work, purged cache but also trying out an endgame shader pack that was actually bigger than my personal cache for once. If that's an issue I'll purge it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Khanstant posted:

I did. I actually wasn't having slowdown issues the first day or 2 with the custom Ryujin. What I did for the problem areas was switch to OpenGL, since the slow mo was more painful than shader stutter, and then back to Vulcan once I'm out of problem area.

I did all the custom Yuzu stuff during last bit of work, purged cache but also trying out an endgame shader pack that was actually bigger than my personal cache for once. If that's an issue I'll purge it too

Ah, if it's the custom build I linked you days ago, that was for 1.0. been using regular since then

Anyways about this underground power The Kohga battle music made me think of Pokemon Sword's arena battle music and rules