Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I figured Starfighters would get a mention but in my opinion it's saved by great riffing and its inexplicable cool jazz soundtrack. Plus, the host segments giving an extremely accurate portrayal of trying to log on to the Internet for the first time in the early days of commercial dial-up Internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I have no idea what's going on in Mighty Jack. I get that it's Sandy Frank editing the first and last episodes of a Japanese TV series into a movie. Time of the apes has a similar thing going on but at least I can follow that one. And it doesn't help that only four people or so dubbed the voices and only one woman doing the exact same voice for all female characters.

Ones that I can't watch? Kitten with a Whip and Squirm. I'm one of those people who gets bad anxiety watching it. Ann-Margret completely sells her character though, I'll give her that. Between her juvenile delinquent character giving me the heebie-jeebies and the senator getting repeatedly trapped in her scheming even with multiple and plausible ways out, it is nigh unwatchable for me. As for squirm, the worms and the deep south setting have this visceral sliminess that's hard to watch.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Angry_Ed posted:

Mike: *uses green marker on data side of CD*

This is apparently a skit that sent Frank into hysterics the longer it went on with Mike not really doing anything but vaguely nodding, like a true audiophile.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

oh that's what happens when you drop your hot dog at the beach

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Kitten With A Whip is a near perfect example of those teenage exploitation films

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

There's something about the sheer amount of 1960s melodramatic teen overacting in Teenage Strangler (the Mikey actor and girlfriend actress seem to be competing) and just raw 1960s teen-aged squareness - Dylan was about to go electric and these nitwits are jamming to Yipe Stripes; the feared hot rod biker gang is instantly deterred by a police threat to call their parents - that makes that one my favorite delinquency films, especially since the teens win at the end.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Splint Chesthair posted:

I can’t stand the westerns. Gunslinger, Last of the Wild Horses, The Painted Hills…I just can’t make myself care about them. Cowboy stuff in general just slides off my brain.

(The Beast of Hollow Mountain gets a pass because there’s a dinosaur.)
Man, I had some friends over to watch Last of the Wild Horses, and it was the first one where they truly could not endure the movie long enough to stick with the host segments.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Viking Women and the Sea Serpent - Why not just watch one of the Hercules movies?
Wasn't this the one where the movie had so little to work with that they just gave up and made all the host segments about waffles?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

verbal enema posted:

Kitten With A Whip is a near perfect example of those teenage exploitation films

It makes a fun double feature with Girls Town.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Invasion USA and Rocket Attack USA are two of my favorites because I loved the Cold War hysteria/support the military industrial complex narrative.

help me.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

There's something about the sheer amount of 1960s melodramatic teen overacting in Teenage Strangler (the Mikey actor and girlfriend actress seem to be competing) and just raw 1960s teen-aged squareness - Dylan was about to go electric and these nitwits are jamming to Yipe Stripes; the feared hot rod biker gang is instantly deterred by a police threat to call their parents - that makes that one my favorite delinquency films, especially since the teens win at the end.

IIRC, they found out at some point that the actress who played the girlfriend was literally the only person on the set that had any actual professional acting experience (I think she'd done some stage plays or something). So when the actor playing Mikey was doing that scene with her at the police station, he basically just followed her lead, and that's why they both got super overwrought and weepy.

"And hose these two off! Jeez!"

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Keromaru5 posted:

Man, I had some friends over to watch Last of the Wild Horses, and it was the first one where they truly could not endure the movie long enough to stick with the host segments.

Wasn't this the one where the movie had so little to work with that they just gave up and made all the host segments about waffles?

Yep. It's really dull and it lacks a main character. I guess the Viking Women are the main character. There's barely any Sea Serpent. It's just dumb Viking women and ineffectual men on a dull island.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Yep. It's really dull and it lacks a main character. I guess the Viking Women are the main character. There's barely any Sea Serpent. It's just dumb Viking women and ineffectual men on a dull island.

See I just thought they were ripping off the child actor who did young George Bailey in It's a Wonderful Life.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm a Grimald warrior!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tormented and The Screaming Skull have absolutely nothing interesting.

Screaming Skull has top tier riffing, but also the movie, despite some silliness, is a huge downer.

I recall Tormented being a solid if unremarkable ep.

My biggest gap is pretty much anything swords and sorcery or sandals. Most tend to be washed out or otherwise have bad picture quality, you're forced to endure everyone talking in awkward olde timey accents from before the invention of contractions, and everything seems to go at exactly one speed. They give me a "sick with the flu on a Sunday afternoon" vibe.

A lot of other goofy fantasy/medieval ones rank among my favorites though.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
People are fond of Fire Maidens from Outer Space because of the host segments, but the movie is just boring.

The Slime People is pretty unentertaining, too.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I love the Hercules/Maciste movies. The riffs are so good they transform the main character. Riffed Herc is a great character.

I think it was after the "even if it costs me my life bit" where Herc takes off on a horse and Joel says "Yeah and then Herc went to the bar and said he couldn't find them." and in my mind that's what happens off camera.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

I've got Crow T Robot eyes~~~~

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

John Murdoch posted:

Screaming Skull has top tier riffing, but also the movie, despite some silliness, is a huge downer.

Honestly there's the bones (ha ha) of a decent movie in Skull but it is, as Tom himself says, a serving of horror for two trying to serve five.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I think the movie was originally titled "Screaming; Skull".

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the only movie i dont like is Screaming Skull cuz when i sleep i toss on a randomized playlist of all the episodes minus KTMA and S1 and when the crow as a skull bit comes on it ALWAYS wakes me up

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I figured Starfighters would get a mention but in my opinion it's saved by great riffing and its inexplicable cool jazz soundtrack. Plus, the host segments giving an extremely accurate portrayal of trying to log on to the Internet for the first time in the early days of commercial dial-up Internet.

Agreed on all counts. The soundtrack, inexplicable as it is, is a really pleasant listen and the SOL crew is on top form.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Cabbit posted:

Agreed on all counts. The soundtrack, inexplicable as it is, is a really pleasant listen and the SOL crew is on top form.

Drop your payload to the sounds of Ferrante and Teicher. :cool:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

verbal enema posted:

the only movie i dont like is Screaming Skull cuz when i sleep i toss on a randomized playlist of all the episodes minus KTMA and S1 and when the crow as a skull bit comes on it ALWAYS wakes me up

That's also another 'Mike did the same thing for an extended period and everybody had to try hard not to crack up' skit.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

🎵 Don't crap in your hand, crap in your poopie suuuuit! 🎵

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Dawgstar posted:

It makes a fun double feature with Girls Town.

EARL'S TOWN

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gigaaaaaantor~!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Her hinder is out of control!

As abysmal as The Skydivers is as a movie, I think it’s the best overall MST3K episode. The host segments are great, the short is fantastic, and the movie is just stuffed with weirdness and great riffs.

Personally I have to give that award to The Brute Man for having a movie that is actually almost good on its own merits, an interesting and goofy short, strong skits, and some of the strongest riffs in the history of the show(the Chicken of Tomorrow portion alone has like several episodes worth of high tier riffs shoved into a ~10 minute segment)

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I'll cop to liking Tormented. Unlike essentially every other movie MST3K has done, there's an actual dramatic tension. Though still not executed particularly well.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Tormented is definitely one of the more watchable ones. I'm also pretty fond of Girls Town.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Meg: Tom?
Tom: Meg...
Crew: (Singing) It will come back to you

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Then I'll drink turpentine and kill myself in the bathroom.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Screaming Skull is a great episode, but on its own, the movie is maybe the dullest "thriller" ever made. They should have offered free coffins to anyone who died of boredom.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
They could have called it "Looking for Mickey."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Yep, "shocking horror". :rolleyes:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"I heard her!"
"Observed her, even!"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Probably one of the top post-credits stingers ever.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Dawgstar posted:

"I heard her!"
"Observed her, even!"

GET A BOX!! :argh:

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think Pod People deserves a place in the conversation for worst movies. Pick a lane, cutesy ET rip-off or monster movie. Don't do both. Idiots in control now.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Murdstone posted:

Probably one of the top post-credits stingers ever.

The one that started it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pod People is amazing because at one point the mom has like 3 dead teenage girls in her house and is apparently totally okay with this.