Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

From what I could tell it was hooked up in parallel. Anyway I found this site which was helpful. I wonder if someone just didn't know what they where doing has been working on it.
https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/crossover#passive-crossover-design

The woofer is an 8" Philips AD 8061/W4

The tweeters are both damaged so probably no point in keeping them, the mid-sized one is punctured near the center and the small one has a rip near the edge. I don't think they're worth any effort. At least I get what seems to have been two decent 8" woofers.

Build your own diy Boombox with them :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
nevermind

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Sigmund Fraud posted:

How small speakers can you get provided you use a subwoofer? Does a 6.5" or 8" woofer do anything a 5" driver can't? I've been eying a big Wharfedale Evo 4.2 speaker but would I be just as well off with a smaller Evo 4.1 since I'm planning to pair them with a sub?

In nearly all cases, the 6.5” driver is the right choice, even when using a sub. 8” is typically overkill, but fine if it’s a 3-way speaker. 5.25” drivers can start to distort above the crossover frequency. Not everyone can hear or is bothered by it, but enough people can, which is part of how 6.5” drivers became more popular, even though a 6.5” doesn’t integrate as well with the tweeter in a 2-way design.

A 6.5” driver needs a lower crossover point compared to a 5.25”, and in general, ribbon tweeters need higher crossover points, which is why the 4.2 ended up with the very small midrange driver to cover that gap. I haven’t listened to a pair in years, but I recall that they are very good.

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

TheMadMilkman posted:

In nearly all cases, the 6.5” driver is the right choice, even when using a sub. 8” is typically overkill, but fine if it’s a 3-way speaker. 5.25” drivers can start to distort above the crossover frequency. Not everyone can hear or is bothered by it, but enough people can, which is part of how 6.5” drivers became more popular, even though a 6.5” doesn’t integrate as well with the tweeter in a 2-way design.

A 6.5” driver needs a lower crossover point compared to a 5.25”, and in general, ribbon tweeters need higher crossover points, which is why the 4.2 ended up with the very small midrange driver to cover that gap. I haven’t listened to a pair in years, but I recall that they are very good.

Thank you for the insights! Also, what kind of size sub should I aim for? I mostly want to fill in the low end for music (not make the explosions in movies rattle my windowpanes). I also love in a small apartment so the smaller the better. Could I get away with an 8" or should I get a 10-12"?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Before I make specific recommendations, what are you using for a receiver/amp?

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Drove three hours today each way to pick up a personal grail:

Altec voice of the theatre cabinets. They’re empty, but I’ve been collecting the components over the last couple years and the proper cabinets were that thing I needed. They’re superficially trashed, but structurally good with no water damage or anything. I’m beyond stoked.

The goal:

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

TheMadMilkman posted:

Before I make specific recommendations, what are you using for a receiver/amp?

Just bought a used Yamaha A-S 301. The room is small so I have plenty of power.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Okay. The S301 has a kind of odd subwoofer output. The sub out has a 90 Hz low pass filter, but doesn’t have a high pass filter on the speaker output. So adding a sub isn’t as simple as it could be. You’ll have to manually adjust the low pass filter and the phase control on the sub itself to integrate it with your speakers. It’s not difficult, but it can be time consuming.

The advantage, in your situation, is that if you want to have less bass at some point, you can just turn off the subwoofer without making any other adjustments. Your bookshelf speakers will play the same no matter what.

As for driver size, I wouldn’t go 8” for a single driver subwoofer. Their bass extension is just too limited, in my experience.

Since physical size is a concern, I’d go with a sealed subwoofer instead of a ported one. They’re typically smaller, at the expense of very low-end extension and output.

What I would strongly recommend is kind of the default recommendation here. Get an SVS SB-1000 or SB-1000 Pro. The 1000 goes for $400 on SVS’s outlet store, has the controls you need, and produces plenty of bass. The 1000 Pro has an updated driver and has an app that you can use to adjust the sub, including some rudimentary room correction settings. Those things have value, but the sub goes for $650. That’s a substantial price increase.

Since you have concerns about apartment living, I’d pick up the SVS isolation feet for either sub. They’re $50 and they do make a difference at cutting down on sub vibrations going into the floor.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've been using my vintage phones now for a while and I can't tell if they sound bad or good. To me they just sound, I try and shift between listening to the speakers and headphones and sure it sounds somewhat different but that's because the headphones enclose my ears, but I can't say one sounds worse or better really.

I'm fortunate to be blessed with the inability to tell bad from good.

Wait... am I a wizard?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I have a turntable going into a Pioneer SX-680 amp, which then pushes into a pair of speakers. I'm looking at a few equalizers locally... how would I install an equalizer into this system? I've never had one before and don't know which side of the amp they go on.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
That entirely depends on the equalizer. Some have multiple RCA inputs and a single RCA output. Those would go in between your turntable and receiver. Others have speaker terminal connectors. Those would go between your receiver and speakers.

All things equal between the two, a quality equalizer will perform perfectly fine regardless of where it sits in the signal chain. I can't think of any obvious reason to choose one over the other. The disadvantage to the RCA setup is if you use a remote control to switch between sources on your receiver. You'd lose that functionality. Speaker terminal setup would technically take more wires, but that's nothing a little cable management can't fix.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

bigman.50grand posted:

That entirely depends on the equalizer. Some have multiple RCA inputs and a single RCA output. Those would go in between your turntable and receiver. Others have speaker terminal connectors. Those would go between your receiver and speakers.

All things equal between the two, a quality equalizer will perform perfectly fine regardless of where it sits in the signal chain. I can't think of any obvious reason to choose one over the other. The disadvantage to the RCA setup is if you use a remote control to switch between sources on your receiver. You'd lose that functionality. Speaker terminal setup would technically take more wires, but that's nothing a little cable management can't fix.

None of this system has a remote control, and the equalizers I'm looking at all have RCA in/out. One of them has an additional tape in/out but it's still RCA.

I just don't know how EQs work or if I can put it in line before the amp (which is where my RCAs are).

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 20, 2023

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

bigman.50grand posted:

Huh?

You put the EQ in one of the tape loops, that's it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Do this:

Then turn on the tape monitor switch to start listening to audio routed through the EQ.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

wa27 posted:

Do this:

Then turn on the tape monitor switch to start listening to audio routed through the EQ.

Huh. OK that makes sense.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
I wasn't thinking about tape in/out, but yes, that totally works and is probably the preferable set up.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Does anyone have any solutions for storing a lot of CD cases? The music is all ripped but I have at least 1000 CDs and since I'm probably not moving anywhere big enough to actually display them soon I'd like to at least get them organized. I found archival boxes but they run over $20 each for cardboard boxes and I'd need at least a dozen. I was thinking of half height milk crates like these [or maybe a more affordable knockoff]. I could always just get banker boxes but I'd like to be able to group and sort them as I put them away. Bonus points if they also scale up for movie case storage.

qirex fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 8, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

qirex posted:

Does anyone have any solutions for storing a lot of CD cases? The music is all ripped but I have at least 1000 CDs and since I'm probably not moving anywhere big enough to actually display them soon I'd like to at least get them organized. I found archival boxes but they run over $20 each for cardboard boxes and I'd need at least a dozen. I was thinking of half height milk crates like these [or maybe a more affordable knockoff]. I could always just get banker boxes but I'd like to be able to group and sort them as I put them away. Bonus points if they also scale up for movie case storage.

NGL, investing in real-deal heavy duty cardboard record boxes for moving and storing my LPs has been worth every penny.

Probably isn’t hard to find a suitable box that fits tho, home despot or the blue place should be able to help you out with some $2-4/box solutions

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 8, 2023

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Couple nice gifts from family lately, wife got me these dividers so I finally organized the record collection:

My dad was clearing out his attic and gave me these baby brothers to the wharfedales:

They're nice little speakers that he bought we lived in Cambridge in the 1980s. Sealed, real wood veneer, brand is "British Loudspeakers" and the front tag just says "LQ". googling "British Loudspeakers LQ" suggests they were built in Cambridge by a small shop in the 80s, possibly using scanspeak? drivers. They sound great for little speakers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ok Comboomer posted:

NGL, investing in real-deal heavy duty cardboard record boxes for moving and storing my LPs has been worth every penny.

Probably isn’t hard to find a suitable box that fits tho, home despot or the blue place should be able to help you out with some $2-4/box solutions

The moving boxes that a UHAUL rental office sells are good for this too op

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
this has been asked before, so my apologies, but I’ve got various old receivers/etc in need of cabinet work and I have a few questions:

is MDF+veneer preferable to solid wood? I understand that it’s better for sound and stability reasons when building speakers, but does that apply to hifi equipment cases/etc? Is MDF going to be better at resisting heat deformation/warping/etc and therefore better in that regard? I have a Yamaha with an original plywood case that has some moisture warping that probably needs a new box.

If I’m building a case by hand I’d honestly much rather work with some simple hardwood or birch/etc boards, or maybe even a nice looking ply, rather than deal with the headache of veneering tho. Plus these are personal projects so it’s not like I need to buy material at volume or worry about cost

But ultimately I want to make the smart/correct choice. I don’t want to spend a bunch of time and money making some nice wooden boxes only to have them looking all hosed a decade from now

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Has anyone here gotten one of the new Sound Burgers?

If so do you like it? I'm thinking of getting it and a battery powered headphone amp so I can be a dork on the go.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SerCypher posted:

Has anyone here gotten one of the new Sound Burgers?

If so do you like it? I'm thinking of getting it and a battery powered headphone amp so I can be a dork on the go.

lol are they back in stock/production? Google tells me they’re still sold out

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

They're trickling out apparently.

Turntable Lab sent me an email saying you could order it and they're sending them out as soon as they get them.... but now that link is dead so maybe they were premature.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ok Comboomer posted:

They are going into wide production. Multiple colors and whatnot. I think they are still over priced for what they are but it is better than a briefcase turntable by miles. Hell I would say it is a better option than a LP60 since it takes a standard VM cart so you can put something better on it.

If AT can get the price closer to 150 they would completely own the low end turntable market. For the average person that is wanting something decent to play their records on this would be it. And it isn’t worthless the second you decide to upgrade to something better.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
My father gave me his old turntable as well as his record collection. The turntable is a Technics SL-1310, probably made some time in the 70s. He also gave me his old record collection (well, half of it. Apparently the other half disappeared in German customs). I have a couple challenges here:

1. I have never done anything like this before. My speaker knowledge extends to plugging in a pair of speakers to my computer.
2. Speaking of which, one of my computer speakers has died.
3. I have no other equipment.

Ideally, I would like to purchase speakers and a receiver and hook both the computer and the turntable to them and be able to flip back and forth.

1. How can I test the turntable and see if it works before I plow a few hundred dollars into this?
2. If it works, what receiver & speakers should I get? My budget probably maxes out at $500 all in.
3. Do I need anything else? He also gave me some styluses and gear for cleaning records and the turntable.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Grifter posted:

My father gave me his old turntable as well as his record collection. The turntable is a Technics SL-1310, probably made some time in the 70s. He also gave me his old record collection (well, half of it. Apparently the other half disappeared in German customs). I have a couple challenges here:

1. I have never done anything like this before. My speaker knowledge extends to plugging in a pair of speakers to my computer.

Ideally, I would like to purchase speakers and a receiver and hook both the computer and the turntable to them and be able to flip back and forth.

1. How can I test the turntable and see if it works before I plow a few hundred dollars into this?
2. If it works, what receiver & speakers should I get? My budget probably maxes out at $500 all in.
3. Do I need anything else? He also gave me some styluses and gear for cleaning records and the turntable.

The good news is that even if the turntable doesn’t work, a good set of powered speakers or a good amp/receiver and some passives will serve you well with your computer and anything else you’d like to connect to them.

First things first: where is this setup going to go? Home office? Living room? Are you only going to be listening while sitting at your desktop? Would you like to listen elsewhere in the home (ie do you want this to be loud/robust enough to reasonably fill your entire home or a section of your home with music? Would you be interested in multi-room or multi-zone audio?)?

Where would you like the speakers/etc to go? On your desktop? On a sideboard or media cabinet? On a bookcase? On the floor?

Is it only the computer and a turntable that you want to connect?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Grifter posted:

An SL-1310 is a great turntable. First thing first is to plug it in and see if it spins, which since it is direct drive it should, you are 90% there in terms of testing. You can plug the RCA inputs into something to see if there is at least signal but it will be too low to hear anything without a phono preamp.

Beyond that it depends on what you are wanting to do. If you are just looking to play records and your computer you can get some powered bookshelf speakers with a built in preamp like the Klipsch R51PM, plug them in and be done. If you are looking for something more robust you would be looking for a receiver, a phono preamp if it doesn’t include one, and speakers. If you are looking to save money I’d recommend looking for a used receiver on Craigslist or thrift stores. For example I have a Sony STR-DG810 that I got for free that works amazing for 2 channel audio but has HDMI in so I can connect my TV to it, good digital tuner and a remote which vintage options wouldn’t have. So don’t sleep on something newer if you can get it cheap. Although for 500 dollars you should be able to get a very decent setup if you look for some deals.

Depending on the age and condition of the cartridges it might be worth getting something new. Depending on what you have there are retip services which if you have some rare/expensive/high end carts it might be worth looking into. Other than that it sounds like you have everything you might need.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Ok Comboomer posted:

The good news is that even if the turntable doesn’t work, a good set of powered speakers or a good amp/receiver and some passives will serve you well with your computer and anything else you’d like to connect to them.
Cool!

quote:

First things first: where is this setup going to go? Home office? Living room? Are you only going to be listening while sitting at your desktop? Would you like to listen elsewhere in the home (ie do you want this to be loud/robust enough to reasonably fill your entire home or a section of your home with music? Would you be interested in multi-room or multi-zone audio?)?
A home office in my basement. I like to listen to music while I work. A lot of what is motivating me to do this is my old speakers blowing out and now I have lost that background music. I only want to fill that room on my current budget but I guess in the future it would be cool to be able to scale up somehow and also send music to other parts of the house.

quote:

Where would you like the speakers/etc to go? On your desktop? On a sideboard or media cabinet? On a bookcase? On the floor?
The room is pretty bare. Sitting at the desk there is a set of built-in shelves to my left and another set behind me. Speakers could go on either of those. They could also go on the floor, whatever works best.

quote:

Is it only the computer and a turntable that you want to connect?
Yes. The room is devoted to being my office so there's no other media like a TV.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
Arghhhhh the Soundburgers all sold out again before I could get one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SerCypher posted:

Back on sale already? Fuuuuuuuuck

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

Back on sale already? Fuuuuuuuuck

Yeah, the main webpage is here now:
https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/at-sb727

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's a general release product now, you should be able to get one eventually. I'd imagine there's going to be some limited editions still in special colors or band collabs.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

It's a general release product now, you should be able to get one eventually. I'd imagine there's going to be some limited editions still in special colors or band collabs.

I have a feeling I’m gonna end up owning a bunch of these after a few years

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Honest question: why don't more modern turntables have phono amps? It's like a dollar in components.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

qirex posted:

Honest question: why don't more modern turntables have phono amps? It's like a dollar in components.

A lot of reasons. First a decent phono preamp is going to cost more than a dollar in components. Budget turntables are built on extremely slim margins so any corner they can cut is important. Outside of budget turntables there isn’t going to be a lot of demand for this as anyone buying a decent turntable is going to want a better option than what would be included or already has a preamp option. This was an issue with AT when they released the LP120 as the early models didn’t have a way to easily disable the built in preamp.

Basically it is a very slim audience that is looking for that option and there are a couple of options within that price range for it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SerCypher posted:

Apos appears to have stock.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Where do folks here generally buy their vinyl from (online)? Just curious as to what's good / what to avoid for sourcing particular stuff.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

yep, or I’d just jump on the waitlists at BH/Adorama/etc, and you’ll prolly get one soon enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

That Works posted:

Where do folks here generally buy their vinyl from (online)? Just curious as to what's good / what to avoid for sourcing particular stuff.

What would you be trying to avoid? I usually buy from the label or artist online unless some place is running a great sale.