Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am not sure if this exists in other countries but in the US there is a huge trove of media that says to be successful you must be an rear end in a top hat and tortured. Zuckerberg, Jobs more recently on the non-fiction side but also the MCU Tony Stark, Dr. House, loving any AMC/HBO lead character and we assume that to be successful we have to emulate said behaviors'.

You're very much not wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah, Rick is basically just able to Science whatever solution he wants, so he's smart in that way but he has no ability to recognize or understand the consequences of his actions or empathize in any way with anyone else, so all his solutions are technically perfect but are inhumane, awful, and incredibly short sighted. I'm in the 'the show would be fine if not for it's fans/creators' camp. I've seen most of the episodes and it can be pretty funny, but it's definitely not a life defining show like some people act.

edit: he's a crypto bro/yudkowsky figure. our social system said being good at math means you're super smart and we never stopped to analyze that, so now there's a whole subset of people that are actual morons at everything except technical proficiency, and all of them fuckin' love rick and morty.

I haven't watched it, but from what I know isn't Rick and Morty just an edgelord take on Back to the Future?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jedit posted:

I haven't watched it, but from what I know isn't Rick and Morty just an edgelord take on Back to the Future?

That's the premise basically, but it continued past that and became more, and Doc Brown isn't just a tinkerer who accidentally solved time travel, he's an omnipotent science wizard. And Morty is a dorky loser with no friends, whose only real redeeming quality compared to Marty McFly is the fact that he's not into incest.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am not sure if this exists in other countries but in the US there is a huge trove of media that says to be successful you must be an rear end in a top hat and tortured. Zuckerberg, Jobs more recently on the non-fiction side but also the MCU Tony Stark, Dr. House, loving any AMC/HBO lead character and we assume that to be successful we have to emulate said behaviors'.

Buddy there's so much anime like this.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

And Morty is a dorky loser with no friends, whose only real redeeming quality compared to Marty McFly is the fact that he's not into incest.

Hey now, Marty McFly wasn't into incest, just... every female ancestor of his was.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Captain Monkey posted:

That's the premise basically, but it continued past that and became more, and Doc Brown isn't just a tinkerer who accidentally solved time travel, he's an omnipotent science wizard. And Morty is a dorky loser with no friends, whose only real redeeming quality compared to Marty McFly is the fact that he's not into incest.

Morty created a giant space incest baby, even if he wasn't into it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also Sherlock Holmes, Batman, Dirty Harry, Die Hard, etc etc etc.. Basically any smartass character who exists in a fictional world which was designed so that very specific problems occur which only a person with their exact skill set is capable of solving, and whatever happens they always turn out to be correct in the end.

It's all a version of "Great Man Theory", the concept underpinning libertarianism and every other variation of 'rugged individualism', aka Main Character Syndrome. It's a power fantasy where the protagonist is the smartest man in the room and everyone who disagrees with them and calls them an rear end in a top hat is just holding them back from doing what needs to be done and in the end everyone else will be forced to admit that they were right all along and that they're not assholes, they're simply well informed realists who know that you can't make an omelet without cracking a few eggs. It's a super comforting fantasy for contrarians who think they know better than anyone else.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

the_steve posted:

Yeah, no matter how much they tap the "Rick is a bitter shell of a person and is the source of his own constant loneliness and misery", he's still a functional god capable of rewriting most of reality on a whim while spending entire episodes clowning on everybody else, and it's really easy to project the idea that "If I had all of his brain powers, I also would not make the same mistakes he does so I would have the best of both worlds."

You don't even need to be that invested. Rick is both the source but also the solution to all of the problems he makes, and because it's an animated sitcom where the status quo is god, there's never going to be a situation he won't be able to just science magic his way out of so things go back to normal just in time for the next episode. There's no lasting consequences to anything he does. So regardless of how much it's framed as 'he's just making more problems for himself', they don't stick.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
All of that great man nonsense is good for fiction because it's fiction. Why the hell would I want to watch a movie where the main characters do not have the ability or skills to influence the plot and they just spend the whole time losing?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Aramek posted:

All of that great man nonsense is good for fiction because it's fiction. Why the hell would I want to watch a movie where the main characters do not have the ability or skills to influence the plot and they just spend the whole time losing?

Everybody liked Game of Thrones when it was like this. The characters don’t spend the whole time losing, but the story is driven by sociological factors rather than the genius of particular characters.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ishikabibble posted:

Technically, yes. But that gets lost in 'Rick is a cool badass who will shoot/kill/blow up anything that causes him trouble'.

It's still text that Rick is the source of all of his own problems, but it's severely underrepresented in the overall runtime vs Rick does a bunch of Real Cool poo poo and outsmarts everyone, flipping them the double bird as he flies away. See:

It's a problem that plagues many shows, where they want to write a 'bad' character but then have them constantly be right, or be effortlessly winning compared to everyone else, and then spend way too much of the runtime having that character style on everyone, or let them have the satisfaction of being the character that brings about the climax of the episode. It doesn't matter how much you show them doing bad things if you're going to show them doing, to the audience, 'good' or at least 'cool' things with far more frequency.

I haven't watched it, but from what I've heard Black Sails had that issue with one of its villains. They introduced the guy and he became beloved by the audience on the strength of the actor's performance and the roguish charm he constantly had, and as a result they had to hack in some tragic backstory to explain why he's the villain, so the audience wouldn't be left cold when the villain inevitably went on to actually do villainous things.

This raises a question of whether the artist has any responsibility to make sure you know The Bad Guy Is Bad.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

This is part of the reason for the Shakespeare authorship debate. Apart from being a genius writer he was a pretty normal guy, and some people find that unsatisfying.

Maxwell Lord posted:

This raises a question of whether the artist has any responsibility to make sure you know The Bad Guy Is Bad.

If your "bad guy" comes off more as the "cool guy" that's a failure of writing. Of course a significant number of people read Lolita and thought "you gotta hand it to Humbert Humbert" so you'll inevitably have some number of people miss the point unless you give the bad guy no redeeming features whatsoever.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 00:06 on May 9, 2023

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

ishikabibble posted:

You don't even need to be that invested. Rick is both the source but also the solution to all of the problems he makes, and because it's an animated sitcom where the status quo is god, there's never going to be a situation he won't be able to just science magic his way out of so things go back to normal just in time for the next episode. There's no lasting consequences to anything he does. So regardless of how much it's framed as 'he's just making more problems for himself', they don't stick.

I think it's fair to say that the Status Quo has shifted a fair amount in R&M, but the writers try to not let that get in the way if they want to do a one-off episode. In theory, there should be more Chad Jerries and Virgin Ricks around, because the walled-off multiverse doesn't exist anymore, but I get the feeling the writers also know that if they start doing stories like that there will be a LOT of push-back from the fanbase.

I mean, considering Roiland got dropped like a rock, and the show still has a few seasons left on their contract, I could see them turning towards Rick eating even more poo poo than he has in recent seasons.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

The Moon Monster posted:

This is part of the reason for the Shakespeare authorship debate. Apart from being a genius writer he was a pretty normal guy, and some people find that unsatisfying.

If your "bad guy" comes off more as the "cool guy" that's a failure of writing. Of course a significant number of people read Lolita and thought "you gotta hand it to Humbert Humbert" so you'll inevitably have some number of people miss the point unless you give the bad guy no redeeming features whatsoever.

It reminds me of that 360 game, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, where a writer was brought on to fix the initial script - in the original script there was a scene where Monkey deliberately killed another slave in cold blood instead of helping him up off of a ledge that he was hanging from - the developers thought that that made him look like a badass, but the writer's take was that it made him seem like "A bit of a oval office"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jedit posted:

In practice he's way more Reed Richards, and they absolutely lean into that.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

In practice he's way more Reed Richards, and they absolutely lean into that.

Surely you mean Professor Impossible?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Jedit posted:

In addition to the above posts, he's also Dr. Who

Not a lot of time travel overall, though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

I mean that’s the thing.

People admire Humbert, people joined the military after seeing Full Metal Jacket, people didn’t get that the 1997 Starship Troopers was satire. People are kinda dumb.

You don’t judge any work by what other people make of it, you look at the text itself.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Relatedly to the "this guy is a charming scumbag" discussion, I recently rewatched In Bruges. It's tough to say, but it has aged pretty badly.

Ray is obviously an idiot and a total prick. He's also got big soft Colin Farrel eyes and the inciting incident of the movie isn't entirely his fault, he's in fact crushed by it.

So: you feel sorry for the guy and he does have some moments where he's funny or clever. Except, a lot of the humor is expressed with the f-slur and generally being very cruel and unpleasant to someone with dwarfism.

It's still an OK watch, it's more that the dark days of 2008 were so long ago, having the charming, handsome, tortured soul say stuff that'd get him banned from GBS is now just plainly distracting. A more recent film would more likely have some comeuppance or someone call him on it. Instead it's just kinda taken as standard, perhaps it was, perhaps it is. The only time someone gets language policed (and this movie features a legendary amount of swearing) is when Ken calls someone's children the word that Americans and Canadians ask people not to post on SA.

You aren't meant to like Ray, but I think the changing context for his words has made him even worse than he seemed in 2008.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The Moon Monster posted:

The funny thing about Humbert Humbert is that he even explicitly says “okay, I’m going to write this account of my terrible crimes in flowery prose so you’ll be more sympathetic to me and agree I didn’t do anything bad. Here I go…” and somehow tons of readers still took the rest of it at face value

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo
One thing that aged extremely well is the pin. It's my go to well drink.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kit Walker posted:

The funny thing about Humbert Humbert is that he even explicitly says “okay, I’m going to write this account of my terrible crimes in flowery prose so you’ll be more sympathetic to me and agree I didn’t do anything bad. Here I go…” and somehow tons of readers still took the rest of it at face value

I just blame the English.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

You don’t judge any work by what other people make of it, you look at the text itself.
Which is fun to say until you then have to say "oh yeah this work did a bad job at conveying its apparent message" and then you get into the "art doesn't owe society anything" insecurity defense, and it's like....

Have they considered not making art exclusively about pricks?

well why not posted:

Relatedly to the "this guy is a charming scumbag" discussion, I recently rewatched In Bruges. It's tough to say, but it has aged pretty badly.

Ray is obviously an idiot and a total prick. He's also got big soft Colin Farrel eyes and the inciting incident of the movie isn't entirely his fault, he's in fact crushed by it.

So: you feel sorry for the guy and he does have some moments where he's funny or clever. Except, a lot of the humor is expressed with the f-slur and generally being very cruel and unpleasant to someone with dwarfism.

It's still an OK watch, it's more that the dark days of 2008 were so long ago, having the charming, handsome, tortured soul say stuff that'd get him banned from GBS is now just plainly distracting. A more recent film would more likely have some comeuppance or someone call him on it. Instead it's just kinda taken as standard, perhaps it was, perhaps it is. The only time someone gets language policed (and this movie features a legendary amount of swearing) is when Ken calls someone's children the word that Americans and Canadians ask people not to post on SA.

You aren't meant to like Ray, but I think the changing context for his words has made him even worse than he seemed in 2008.
This was the era where Warren Ellis had a career, the ladder theory was popular, and Joss Whedon's PR had successfully spun him as some twisted kind of nerdy noble. Boy's club poo poo is just the loving worst.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

BioEnchanted posted:

It reminds me of that 360 game, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, where a writer was brought on to fix the initial script - in the original script there was a scene where Monkey deliberately killed another slave in cold blood instead of helping him up off of a ledge that he was hanging from - the developers thought that that made him look like a badass, but the writer's take was that it made him seem like "A bit of a oval office"

Is this game worth playing in 2023? I like the studio's other work.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm not sure I'd group McDonaugh with those people - it's in the text that Ray is a terrible, cruel and aggressive person. It's not "haha! look how cool this guy is!", it's more that he's complicated and perhaps overcompensating.

He's clearly not capable of reconciling the outcomes of his actions with being a "good person". The scene where they discuss how Ken has mostly killed bad people is instantly derailed when Ray starts adding caveats to the rules, like if someone is brandishing a bottle, or knows karate. He wants to find a way to excuse himself of the pain of the guilt.

I think you're meant to sympathize with him - he's quite literally crippled with guilt. The language shift just makes him seem more "nasty" than "roguish" as I suspect the intention was.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Aramek posted:

There are many different ways for characters to drive a plot forward without them being the only thing that actually matters

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

credburn posted:

No

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo
Great Man Theory comes from nobles writing history and centering themselves. Scifi and fantasy work the same way but for 13 year-olds.

in many ways the two are the same.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

credburn posted:

It's fine, I thought the story was charming and it has some really nice art direction. It is very much of its time, but also frequently goes on sale for sirt cheap so if you're curious just try it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ciao Wren posted:

Great Man Theory comes from nobles writing history and centering themselves. Scifi and fantasy work the same way but for 13 year-olds.

in many ways the two are the same.

Westerns also work the same way and were a fundamentally formative genre in US culture which still has a lot of ramifications all throughout the modern era. Eg: that whole 'The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun' mentality and everything associated with it

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean that’s the thing.

People admire Humbert, people joined the military after seeing Full Metal Jacket, people didn’t get that the 1997 Starship Troopers was satire. People are kinda dumb.

Sure, but as someone who has looked at a decent amount of Rick and Morty they definitely hosed up pretty hard with Rick's portrayal if they wanted to portray him as a pathetic loser. I would say that's probably not the case, and the creators of the show did in fact want to portray him as primarily a cool, godlike badass.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Moon Monster posted:

Sure, but as someone who has looked at a decent amount of Rick and Morty they definitely hosed up pretty hard with Rick's portrayal if they wanted to portray him as a pathetic loser. I would say that's probably not the case, and the creators of the show did in fact want to portray him as primarily a cool, godlike badass.

They basically want to have their cake and eat it too.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Moon Monster posted:

Roiland and Harmon seem to have extremely different approaches towards how they write and portray characters so I don't think it's entirely possible to say "They wanted Rick's character to be [x] but not [y]" with any certainty, and even if they did want to highlight certain aspects in some scripts that would have changed from episode to episode anyway. There's also a whole lot of other character aspects between "pathetic loser" and "cool badass" that make up Rick's character, I think a lot of it comes from taking a character like Reed Richards and extrapolating out from that basis and coming to the conclusion "Holy poo poo this guy must be bored and lonely, but also way too narcissistic to do anything else with his life" and then figuring out how that would affect the people who were stuck with him. And a lot of the time they seem to have written in jokes because they had a random funny thought which they thought was hilarious and then doubled down on it to really hammer it home even if it wasn't thematically consistent. They love to gently caress with their audience and invert expectations and all that.

Also since all that creepy groomer poo poo about Roiland came out it cast a lot of the creepy R&M gags about pedophilia and incest etc in a new light. It looks like Roiland wasn't just writing that stuff into the script for shock value, he was also walking the walk

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 11:36 on May 9, 2023

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Rick and Morty is the Venture Bros by and for idiots.

Like it had moments of hilarity, sure, but it's insane how much better of an execution Jonas Sr. and Rusty himself are of the basic concept behind Rick.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Like it had moments of hilarity, sure, but it's insane how much better of an execution Jonas Sr. and Rusty himself are of the basic concept behind Rick.

100%

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I haven’t watched that show in a long while, but I’m pretty sure the early seasons won’t have aged terribly well. Still, those writers never got caught grooming any kids that I know of; Doc Hammer and Jackson Public don’t have anything listed on Wikipedia for it at least. I’m at work so I’m not looking terribly closely right now, to be fair :v:

Jackson Public was also the voice of Hiram McDaniels, the 5-headed dragon from Welcome to Night Vale (to connect back to our little corner of the internet).

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

I haven’t watched that show in a long while, but I’m pretty sure the early seasons won’t have aged terribly well. Still, those writers never got caught grooming any kids that I know of; Doc Hammer and Jackson Public don’t have anything listed on Wikipedia for it at least. I’m at work so I’m not looking terribly closely right now, to be fair :v:

Jackson Public was also the voice of Hiram McDaniels, the 5-headed dragon from Welcome to Night Vale (to connect back to our little corner of the internet).

Holy poo poo, never knew that! Hiram is cool - well, most of his heads are, anyway.

Venture Bros has a director's commentary, and in it the creators themselves call out some of the jokes that didn't age well. Which honestly helps it age way better than a lot of other shows.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

credburn posted:

It's a fun game, though kind of easy and very much on rails. The scenery is(or was for the time) very beautiful because they drew heavily from 'The World without Us' documentary that also inspired The Last of Us.

And yeah, Monkey killing in cold blood would absolutely be a missed story beat. Mythologically speaking, yeah Monkey was a killer but never by intention and more because he was too self involved to care about humans.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I personally think the Venture Bros. is overrated as gently caress and as a whole was deeply unsatisfying, but also you're dead on the money.

R&M has had moments where you can see a shockingly mature understanding of the concept from some of the writers, but because arrogant, contemptuous irreverence is the engine driving R&M it can never actually hold for very long. Venture Bros. often runs away from its own premises and has worse follow-through than I do when trying to throw a baseball, but you can tell the team doesn't have anywhere near the same self-loathing despite a much more vulnerable level of self-awareness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

ishikabibble posted:

Technically, yes. But that gets lost in 'Rick is a cool badass who will shoot/kill/blow up anything that causes him trouble'.

It's still text that Rick is the source of all of his own problems, but it's severely underrepresented in the overall runtime vs Rick does a bunch of Real Cool poo poo and outsmarts everyone, flipping them the double bird as he flies away. See:

It's a problem that plagues many shows, where they want to write a 'bad' character but then have them constantly be right, or be effortlessly winning compared to everyone else, and then spend way too much of the runtime having that character style on everyone, or let them have the satisfaction of being the character that brings about the climax of the episode. It doesn't matter how much you show them doing bad things if you're going to show them doing, to the audience, 'good' or at least 'cool' things with far more frequency.

I haven't watched it, but from what I've heard Black Sails had that issue with one of its villains. They introduced the guy and he became beloved by the audience on the strength of the actor's performance and the roguish charm he constantly had, and as a result they had to hack in some tragic backstory to explain why he's the villain, so the audience wouldn't be left cold when the villain inevitably went on to actually do villainous things.

This is one of the things Oz did really well. It made it really clear that often a character's charm and likability were masks to cover up some awful poo poo. And they pushed really hard to make it so that acts of violence were meant to be disturbing to the viewer.