Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I am now considering the utility of briefly calling my enemies immediately before and after my criminal activity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Isnt Foster unofficially/jokingly called The Extender given his series fixing ways or is that my head canon

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

No its cause he looks like a gimmicky head detective of some late aughts TNT original drama

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Ammanas posted:

interesting strategy, preemptively casting the blame and potential penalties onto jokic when he should be held responsible for interfering with the game and attacking an opponent....

That’s the kind of stuff that gets you nba owner money. Total gaslighting.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Bellmaker posted:

Isnt Foster unofficially/jokingly called The Extender given his series fixing ways or is that my head canon
The league has dirt on him and leverages it to send him out there and extend a series, like if there's an elimination game he'll make sure the team facing elimination gets the W and we get more games and ratings. Or that's the conspiracy theory.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Bellmaker posted:

someone made up stats for a twitter post and everyone believes it because they believe the nba is rigged

it's kind of a pain to research but it didn't seem true when I tried to check

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

the virgin debunker vs the chad pattern noticer

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I would have thought Foster would have retired after getting to deny Friend of Foochs a chip. Guess there was still some money to be made

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I would have thought Foster would have retired after getting to deny Friend of Foochs a chip. Guess there was still some money to be made

The Suns may yet make it to another Game 7, Scott's got one more in him.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Several years ago there was a large scandal wherein an NBA referee (Tim Donaghy) was accused and found guilty by the league of trying to fix games for gambling purposes. Point shaving and the like. He was drummed out of the league but was not criminally charged, the suspected reason being he had dirt on several other referees doing the same thing. If he were to expose them, the validity of the league would have been questioned, rather than just having one crooked ref.

The referee pictured (Scott Foster) was the recipient of almost 200 phone calls of less than 30 seconds in length immediately before and after games Donaghy was suspected of fixing, and thus he is rightfully assumed to be a dirty ref.

Tim claims the NBA had an official 'unofficial' policy that game 6&7s were massively preferred for high value match-ups, and that if you played by their rules and made sure to get it to a 7 game series you would be sure to get the prestigious play-off reffing jobs.

He also insisted the refs were a brotherhood who all agreed to target certain players for 'disrespect' by making a ton of legal but rarely called fouls on players less to effect the game and more to hurt the specific player.

There's a Netflix doc that sort of sides with Tim's claims he was just guy with a slight gambling problem who did a few bad things, but it's pretty clear by the end that he still looks like a lying scumbag and his bookie is the more credible source.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1655687838850236416?t=6S9vQ-USAd5v4ejzMsHqBg&s=19

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1655681070053101573?s=20

Thank god

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

I’ll just be here patiently waiting for the spectators punishment for interference

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jokic scoring 50+ and fending off a crooked billionaire owner all at once. "That fan tried to take my ball." Simply a legendary performance. :discourse:

Reminds me of a few years ago when that Warriors owner pushed Kyle Lowry in the 2019 finals. If I were a NBA player and some goofy billionaires attacked me from the front row seats this is how I'd respond: https://youtu.be/IMjO-38v2cs?t=57

Just like Jokic did. You love to see it.

Not sure if it's the uniform or what but KD looks like his legs are still growing.

mistermojo posted:

I dont think the Nuggets strategy of poorly guarding Booker and KD is working

The Nuggets big weakness all year has been that they can't stop field goals.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

pentyne posted:

Tim claims the NBA had an official 'unofficial' policy that game 6&7s were massively preferred for high value match-ups, and that if you played by their rules and made sure to get it to a 7 game series you would be sure to get the prestigious play-off reffing jobs.

He also insisted the refs were a brotherhood who all agreed to target certain players for 'disrespect' by making a ton of legal but rarely called fouls on players less to effect the game and more to hurt the specific player.

There's a Netflix doc that sort of sides with Tim's claims he was just guy with a slight gambling problem who did a few bad things, but it's pretty clear by the end that he still looks like a lying scumbag and his bookie is the more credible source.

I wouldn't dismiss out of hand the idea that other refs are corrupt / trying to fix games, but yeah, Donaghy's claims about how he could win knowing ref tendencies and vendettas seems false

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

LeBron James on the playoffs
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/05/lakers-notes-lebron-davis-walker-bronny.html

"You win a game, everybody is the greatest player in the world; you lose a game, they're throwing dirt on you. It's literally that simple." -LeBron James

Yes, so far in the playoffs he has nearly double the NP as the next closest competitor:

code:
 NP	Player
 98.24	Devin Booker
 55.88	Stephen Curry
 55.16	Jaylen Brown
 54.2	Jimmy Butler
 53.8	Kevin Durant
 49.84	Nikola Jokic

-8	Cameron Payne
 -9.88	Royce O'Neale
-10.32	Tyus Jones
-10.88	Jaylen Nowell
-11.52	Kevin Huerter
-13.64	Julius Randle
-17.08	Dillon Brooks
Dillon Brooks remains sorry.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Jimmy Butler lets go

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

jackofarcades posted:

I wouldn't dismiss out of hand the idea that other refs are corrupt / trying to fix games, but yeah, Donaghy's claims about how he could win knowing ref tendencies and vendettas seems false

I kind of half remembered Haralabos Voulgaris making a ton of money betting on the NBA by factoring ref tendencies into his algorithm and it turned up this old article. Good read.

https://www.espn.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/4966/a-professional-gambler-s-take-on-the-tim-donaghy-scandal

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Suns Notes: Booker, Durant, Ayton, Shamet, Ishbia
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/05/suns-notes-booker-durant-ayton-shamet-ishbia.html

"Booker was 14-of-18 from the field in Sunday’s Game 4 victory after hitting 20-of-25 Friday night. MacMahon notes that the 331 points Booker has scored so far in the playoffs are the most by anyone through nine games since Michael Jordan 33 years ago."

He's now shooting 51% from 3P land, 65% from 2P land and 87% from FT land.

PS Devin Booker won the most overrated player in this years preseason poll. :laffo:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
If anything Booker is underrated. I’m biased but still

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
I think I may have been a Booker non-believer, his playmaking has surprised me this year. That NP disparity is wild.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I kind of half remembered Haralabos Voulgaris making a ton of money betting on the NBA by factoring ref tendencies into his algorithm and it turned up this old article. Good read.

https://www.espn.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/4966/a-professional-gambler-s-take-on-the-tim-donaghy-scandal

I mean what Bob was doing is different - he paid a bunch of people to chart games and he went in depth into the stats of what kinds of calls guys are making. If someone calls a lot more ticky tack fouls then you are more likely to bet the over, etc. What Donaghy was doing was like "this ref hated the owner so I knew he'd gently caress them" and they're always bullshit.

https://aloneinthecorner.com/post/687025737/if-his-lips-are-moving

Here Donaghy claims they bet Charlotte vs Minnesota, but the evidence would indicate that they bet Minnesota and Donaghy made a huge number of calls favoring Minnesota to try to win it.

https://aloneinthecorner.com/post/668866502/tim-donaghy-vs-derrick-stafford

Here Donaghy claims he bet on the Knicks because Gary Stafford hated Pat Riley and the Heat, but the only guy making biased calls was Donaghy.

He has a few more posts about Donaghy on the blog and they're mostly all like this

I kind of think if you had been looking for this stuff you'd have been able to suss it out, because Donaghy was so blatant about it with his one sided calls. I wonder if you could find it now if it was happening

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I think I may have been a Booker non-believer, his playmaking has surprised me this year. That NP disparity is wild.

It's like the craziest stretch in the playoffs I've seen in a long time, maybe ever? It's not like 06 Wade where he's just at the line all the time, he's just been like 2019/2020 Kawhi killer mode for 9 games

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Those gifs sure show a lot of booker flopping

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

jackofarcades posted:

It's like the craziest stretch in the playoffs I've seen in a long time, maybe ever?

Jamal and Mitchell in round one of the bubble maybe.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
heat-warriors finals if God is good

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Lady Radia posted:

heat-warriors finals if God is good

heat lakers rematch

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

e: wrong thread

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/ArtButSports/status/1655379773638443010?s=20

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Several years ago there was a large scandal wherein an NBA referee (Tim Donaghy) was accused and found guilty by the league of trying to fix games for gambling purposes. Point shaving and the like. He was drummed out of the league but was not criminally charged, the suspected reason being he had dirt on several other referees doing the same thing. If he were to expose them, the validity of the league would have been questioned, rather than just having one crooked ref.

The referee pictured (Scott Foster) was the recipient of almost 200 phone calls of less than 30 seconds in length immediately before and after games Donaghy was suspected of fixing, and thus he is rightfully assumed to be a dirty ref.

Donaghy scandal was almost 15 years ago now, but yeah

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

verbal enema posted:

heat lakers rematch

Normally I'd hate this but in the year the Mavs actively tried to not make the play-in, mmmmmwah

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Beautiful.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

verbal enema posted:

heat lakers rematch

yeah i accept this consolation prize

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Oops wrong thread

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Bears got the Number One Pick.
Blackhawks won the lottery and got the Number One Pick.

It's about time for the League to rig the draft so the Bulls have a top pick again. Shout out to Derrick Rose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

you were gifted alex caruso and you still want more smh