Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Perestroika posted:

:laffo:

My main issue with the first one that while it had a really neat presentation and solid enough gameplay, it was way too long in the tooth and seemed to delight in wasting your time. It seems the sequel is gonna go with the same style.
IIRC you also travel on rails between points of interest, so you're just kinda sitting there for 30 seconds between encounters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

To be fair given how many people reset the game if a run goes bad the idea of a roguelike metaprogesssion game isn't too far out there for DD

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

IIRC you also travel on rails between points of interest, so you're just kinda sitting there for 30 seconds between encounters

In darkest dungeon 1 you hold D to move across a hallway for 30 seconds between encounters, seems like the same deal

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Orv posted:

While “I hate modern gaming” is silly my understanding was that Darkest Dungeon 2 seems to particularly misunderstand what people liked about the first game to an almost spiteful degree.

I'm a big fan of DD despite its flaws and this was kind of the impression I got too, and also why I wasn't jumping to buy it now that it's on Steam.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I just want more Wayne June, does it have more Wayne June

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I just want a city-builder in the style of Darkest Dungeon. I just wanna build up my sanitariums, chapels, and taverns soaked in spooky ambiance and not mess with the dungeon mechanics at all

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
What kind of metaprogression do you guys like to have in your roguelites?

I feel like the usual kerfuffle happens with vertical metaprogression (like having your character get more health and power) since it can kind of feel like the game is being unfair, like your skill as a player is irrelevant until you've jumped through enough hoops till the game actually feels appropriately balanced and can be reasonably beaten, kind of like a rigged arcade machine trying to get enough quarters out of you. It's a bit of a shame since in theory, I feel vertical progression can work in a similar sense like Resident Evil 4's dynamic difficulty where it just slowly gets to a point where it is balanced for you, but some games are just unreasonably hard to start with.

I imagine horizontal progression is typically preferred since it just gives you more options that could fit your playstyle better and thus get you closer to a win, but that could also annoy since it might be hiding tools away from you that make fresh runs feel rigged (though again, maybe it's doing it so it can slowly introduce things tutorial-like and not overwhelm you?) Maybe it's not exactly whether the game has vertical or horizontal or a hybrid, but whether it does it properly, as games like Hades do have vertical progression but it never really bothered me since the game was fun and felt fair in spite of it.

I dunno, I'm just babbling. Currently playing Wizard of Legend and having a good time! The game is totally horizontal metaprogression in acquiring different spells, robes and artifacts for your loadout and it's so fun to create all these fancy synergies and builds: winning the game is all down to player skill in not only constructing your loadout but building your twitch reflexes and learning how to battle the enemies and monsters. Big recommend for Hades and ARPG fans!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

TOME unlocks increasingly weird classes, races and skill trees. It's pretty cool imo, most of them are a little too out there for beginners and there's lots of base starting combinations.

Metaprogression should provide interesting choices.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I think it depends a lot on what you mean by "metaprogression". Imo the best kind of metaprogression is the ones that teach you to play the game through unlocking parts of it, but it has to do so quickly. By your third or fourth run through everything should be wide open, so it's not really metaprogression so much as a long tutorial.

The game with probably the best metaprogression would probably be something like Prey Mooncrash. It has a meta layer of unlocking characters that you have to go through, along with getting points to have more starting items, but the real metaprogression is game knowledge. You end up playing the map like a piano in your final run to get everyone out, and I think that's pretty neat. It runs counter to a lot of other types of knowledge-based roguelikes where it's "die to frost giant to find out that it takes 2x damage from poison, not fire, anyways here's another stat boost trinket to toss on the pile."

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Eason the Fifth posted:

I just want more Wayne June, does it have more Wayne June

It does yes

e: here's a five hour video of Wayne June reading At the Mountains of Madness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq5_iA_wF5o

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm okay with unlocking more options over time, ala ToME4, and I like ones where you make the game more difficult over time, ala Monster Train/StS.

EDIT: Metaregression > Metaprogression

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 8, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Against the Storm has an interesting thing where it has the usual metaprogression grind and Slay the Spire style ascension difficulty so your level of skill determines how hard you can push the difficulty relative to your progression level.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

$40 is really pushing it in my opinion (For DD2) Especially since people seem a little iffy on it compared to the first one...

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TOOT BOOT posted:

$40 is really pushing it in my opinion (For DD2) Especially since people seem a little iffy on it compared to the first one...

It goes down to $30 if you have the original and you buy the 2-pack with DD and DD2 since it subtracts the price of the owned game in the bundle but even still it sounds like the sequel is maybe not worth that.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I didn't play much DD1, but loads of people did and seemed to really like it. Is the metaprogression grind so much different than the grind in the first game?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

look there can't be two darkest dungeons

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It seems like the new one is more run-based, like they've stripped back the town-building and roster-padding stuff, but I'm only just settling in to watch someone play a bit so I can decide. I don't think it'll matter too much to me - I'm really in it for the atmosphere and the art and those are still fantastic.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, I'm not sure what really qualifies as "metaprogression" in some cases, to be perfectly honest.

I'm generally not a fan of anything in roguelikes/roguelites that just makes you strictly more powerful between runs. Bonuses or straight upgrades suck, and I feel like that's the proper definition of metaprogression. On the other hand, I love long unlock chains, especially if they increase variety, make the game harder, or lead to weirder build options. I think gating weird or even non-optimal characters/classes/builds/items/whatever behind play time is a fun way to do things, but there's no way to do that for straight upgrades without it literally turning the game into a grind.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Oh my loving god.
Of course they decided to jam metaprogression of the worst kind into Darkest Dungeon 2.

You finish your first run, probably dying to the first boss, and you have 10-ish of the metaprog currency and the game presents you with a list of numerical power bonuses, shamelessly not even hiding the fact that you're going to have to grind out a THOUSAND of that currency to unlock all of that.

I loving hate modern gaming.

I hate this stuff because it always feels like the dev just gave up on balancing the game and said you know what, we'll let the players figure it out, they can continually buff their classes or whatever until the game is beatable.

As an experiment I like to cheat past the metaprogression in games like that to see if it's worth playing with everything unlocked and 9 times out of 10 the answer is no because it becomes braindead easy when you have the metaprogression unlocked.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I think that's totally fair but I do feel that it's partly a matter of taste.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah if I'm playing a game pretty much purely about mechanics then I love having lots of levers to tweak. And it looks like this has metaprogression to make things easier and optional difficulty modifiers to make it harder (and more quickly earn meta currency). Seems like a good way of doing things.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I bounced off Wall World after a few hours because I felt the metaprogression was a bit slow (Or I might just be bad at games)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ymgve posted:

I bounced off Wall World after a few hours because I felt the metaprogression was a bit slow (Or I might just be bad at games)

it is way slower than it ought to be, especially since you have to find the rare random meta-upgrades and grind out the price to buy them

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is on sale for a week, 70% off. I watched a review of it recently that got me interested in picking it up, is any of the DLC worth getting for a first playthrough, or should I just get the base game for now?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mandalore also got me interested, tbh

I'm even willing to put up with the Pathfinder system for it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DD1 has incredible presentation dragged down by some horrendously RNG-driven gameplay and grind that punishes lack of foreknowledge or simple bad luck with potential hours of tedium. DD2 made the presentation even better and from what I’ve seen on streams has reduced the extent that RNG can decide fights, with the current turn order being displayed on the screen and all attacks being guaranteed to hit by default, and tokens only affect the odds in very comprehensible ways like a dodge token being a coinflip. While the change to a roguelite run format means losing is simply a self-contained loss, which I am used to experiencing in rogue games, and not “+6 hours of grinding just to get another set of heroes to max level so you can attempt the darkest dungeon again.” I’m optimistic about all the changes I’ve seen.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Veotax posted:

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is on sale for a week, 70% off. I watched a review of it recently that got me interested in picking it up, is any of the DLC worth getting for a first playthrough, or should I just get the base game for now?

I'd just go with the base game. The most recent expansion (the Last Sarkorians) is cool and worth it imo, but a new companion won't mean a ton when you have all the base ones still new. And I think all of them you can add in to ongoing campaigns if you decide you actually do want it later.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Enter the Gungeon does progression right, IMO.

Your characters don't get more innately powerful - but you get far more options opening up, including level skips and in-game bonuses like new vendors, etc.

Honestly, Enter the Gungeon is like a gold standard other rogue-lites ought to be measured against.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Owl Inspector posted:

DD1 has incredible presentation dragged down by some horrendously RNG-driven gameplay and grind that punishes lack of foreknowledge or simple bad luck with potential hours of tedium. DD2 made the presentation even better and from what I’ve seen on streams has reduced the extent that RNG can decide fights, with the current turn order being displayed on the screen and all attacks being guaranteed to hit by default, and tokens only affect the odds in very comprehensible ways like a dodge token being a coinflip. While the change to a roguelite run format means losing is simply a self-contained loss, which I am used to experiencing in rogue games, and not “+6 hours of grinding just to get another set of heroes to max level so you can attempt the darkest dungeon again.” I’m optimistic about all the changes I’ve seen.

They also upped the Grave Robber's sass level to a dangerous degree

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Maybe it's revealing what a scrub I am but i mostly like the idea of DD2's roguelike elements because i hated the DD1 trait system. It seemed to want you to make a bespoke team tailored for every zone, which was a pain in the rear end when it meant your A-team was a random mix of trait, none of them relevant most of the time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Veotax posted:

I will say that I bounced off WotR harder than almost any game I’ve ever tried. I came right off the back of Deadfire into attempting to play Wrath and everything about it - writing, acting, design - screamed amateur mod team to an absolutely unpleasant degree. YMMV of course.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really got into the main plot of WotR. Enough to suffer through the awful combat.
The I found the main plot to be intriguing and really well executed, and most of the companions are very fun.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Maybe it's revealing what a scrub I am but i mostly like the idea of DD2's roguelike elements because i hated the DD1 trait system. It seemed to want you to make a bespoke team tailored for every zone, which was a pain in the rear end when it meant your A-team was a random mix of trait, none of them relevant most of the time.

I think the changes are good but I did like the fiddlyness of the first game too. But my god the Steam forums are a disaster right now. If you want to play the first game again you can just play the first game, it's still there, I promise! Not you, CC. These goddamn people.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Once a dev has made a good game they’re morally obligated to keep making the exact same game until the end of time, otherwise I’m throwing a tantrum

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Owl Inspector posted:

Once a dev has made a good game they’re morally obligated to keep making the exact same game until the end of time, otherwise I’m throwing a tantrum

Yes, especially if you're the Subnautica devs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Desktop Dungeon's metaprogression of just unlocking more and weirder classes and items to use is the best way to do it imo

Sure you can win with the easy human fighter. Can you win with the goblin transmuter or figure out how to leverage the transmutation scroll instead of the +4 starting weapon?

Owl Inspector posted:

FTL 2 when

Orv
May 4, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

Yes, especially if you're the Subnautica devs.

Just trying to escape their obligation of Natural Selection 3.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Owl Inspector posted:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RBA Starblade posted:

Desktop Dungeon's metaprogression of just unlocking more and weirder classes and items to use is the best way to do it imo

Sure you can win with the easy human fighter. Can you win with the goblin transmuter or figure out how to leverage the transmutation scroll instead of the +4 starting weapon?

This is the only meta progression I’m ok with. But I also think I should be able to click “unlock all” if I want too. How ToME did it, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
I don't want meta progression. I just want something like an open world I can wander around in and use powers to fight vampires and their cults or other monsters.

You know, something like Diablo 4