Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

Croccers posted:

If you ever want to upgrade the Power ArmorServoshell to Mk2 and Mk3 without looking at a guide you have to loot every container in the world to find the upgrade manuals. There is only one of each. I don't think you're ever given clues on where they are. You cannot buy them. At least the location is fixed.

The Reputation system is pretty much useless too. What's the deal with the Personal Reputation with NPCs, maybe it effects Trader prices but whatever.
I appreciate that you can just steal a good chunk of the Important Plot Items instead of having to do a chain of quests.

Near as I can tell, the reputation is mostly used for dialog choices.

I'm one of those players who likes to be loved by everyone and max out reputation for every faction. It kills me when you upset one faction by getting with another, but I get why games do it for replay purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

TBH playing a game called "Encased" and complaining about all the containers is kind of like playing Uncharted and complaining there aren't better maps.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I was upset Prototype was so unpolished.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

DrBouvenstein posted:

Was the woman THAT bad?

Like, Pagan Min? Yeah, we can see he's bad. Rounding people up and torturing, killing, etc.. .them for minor offenses.
The dude rebel leader? He wants to go back to "traditional" values of their culture, which includes freakin' child brides/pedophilia. gently caress him.
The woman rebel leader? She wants to fund the rebellion with drugs. Wow. Drugs. So evil. Whoop-do-freakin' do.

The woman rebel wasn't so much drugs bad as slavery bad

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Crespolini posted:

The woman rebel wasn't so much drugs bad as slavery bad

drugs enslave a bunch of people but they also get me really loving high so its impossible to say if they are good or bad

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

So I actually found something bad in Titanfall 2!

The game has only one collectable: Pilot helmets, which are hidden in nooks and crannies and glow blue. In the Beacon chapter, I progress to a point where I can see a helmet in a place I've already been to, but the level specifically blocks me from returning to that point with a kill-plane in place I should easily survive dropping down. :mad:

There's no reason to prevent me from going back and picking it up without restarting the chapter except "gently caress you".

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
I finished my regular playthrough of Encased and decided to attempt a second one with a low-intelligence character. Bad idea.
Much like Fallout, the game gives low-int characters a different selection of dialogue options. The options given here seem incredibly mean-spirited and offensive towards disabled people and very monkeycheese random. I don't remember how this was done in Fallout, but this definitely isn't good. I don't wanna continue.
Is there a good example of low-intelligence or otherwise mentally different characters getting different dialogue options? I remember Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines having options for Malkavians.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I think it's pretty much just VtM Bloodlines, the Fallout series, and Arcanum.

VtM Malkavians in particular had dialogue options that seemed random, but were actually prescient and they were commenting on future events.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also Illbleed, one of the characters gets his brain removed and if you don't fix him, he has new dialog for the brainless versions of his cutscenes.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Also Illbleed, one of the characters gets his brain removed and if you don't fix him, he has new dialog for the brainless versions of his cutscenes.

What subforum do they end up moderating?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Schubalts posted:

I think it's pretty much just VtM Bloodlines, the Fallout series, and Arcanum.

VtM Malkavians in particular had dialogue options that seemed random, but were actually prescient and they were commenting on future events.

I like how you can unnerve the big Asian vampire/eldritch monstrosity by just doing the Asian vampire equivalent of yelling "SATAN SATAN SATAN!" at her.

Or calling VV by her real name which pisses her off because there's a reason she doesn't use it anymore (there are no in-game ways to learn her name but Malkavians just know things sometimes).

Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura didn't just give you low-int dialogue, it also rewrote your journal and quest notes to match. This happened even if your character lost enough intelligence during ganeplay to hit the threshold.

RIP Troika.

Fallout: New Vegas has a few good ones. You can bypass RepConn's security with the password "ice cream" if you have high luck (lucky guess) or low int (you want ice cream). Also, this barely coherent vagrant in Freeside becomes a well-spoken gentleman:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=FyWypcG8A2U

"Fare thee well!"

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 23:58 on May 6, 2023

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
RE2 remake: why the hell does the herbicide not kill off plant zombies??! They're made of plants, dammit. At the very least they should be vulnerable to not-fire like normal zombos

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Moon Monster posted:

The problem is that you're basically just replacing the overall party power grind with the gil/Yojimbo loyalty grind. It's neat that it's an option, but it doesn't really solve the dark aeons everywhere problem.

No, but it does mean if you just use the infinite gil cheat you can just pay Yojimbo the gil cap and I'm pretty sure he'll always do it or something. If you really, really, just want the dark aeons to gently caress off because they suck and are bad; you can make them do that without like, having to cheat your character's stats basically.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

youknowthatoneguy posted:

Near as I can tell, the reputation is mostly used for dialog choices.

I'm one of those players who likes to be loved by everyone and max out reputation for every faction. It kills me when you upset one faction by getting with another, but I get why games do it for replay purposes.

But that's the thing, there's baaarely any. There's way way way more Wing Colour or Skill Check options.
I'm not going to crap on it too much but it's never in the way of the game, it's just mostly pointless. There's a few times in the game where your actions mean more than your reputation which is the right way to do things.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

Wanna see a version of Yojimbo where you can request which attack you'd prefer if it's not Zanmato, and if you pick the dog enough then you get separate loyalty with them and by the end of the game you get the dog standing on his hind legs with a tiny katana and cape/strawhat as he does a Canine Zanmato.

Zan-mutt-o.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Wildfrost is pretty fun once you get into the swing of things, but the game expects you to juggle a lot of information. If you're about to make a risky play, double-check everyone's card descriptions first.

I just lost an otherwise flawless run right at the end because I registered a Mimik card in my periphery vision ("Attacks when an ally in this row attacks") that was actually a Mega Mimik ("Attacks whenever any ally attacks"), and that one mistake cost me.

bossy lady posted:

I wish this game had a demo. I have heard people lavish praise on it and others tell me it's a waste of time. I'm really curious, but I don't want to spend money on a game I might quit and never pick up again.
I generally like it overall, it's a cute little game with polished aesthetic, and the missing pages manual is pretty neat. The controls can be a bit stiff when it's time to throw down however, with certain enemies being more obnoxious than others (until you find items that trivialize them). But when a boss comes out, all of a sudden you're playing Dark Souls with top-down Zelda controls, and it's pretty unforgiving.

I later learned there was a way to make that boss a little easier for myself, and while that's partially on me for not experimenting, part of the game's gimmick is deliberately obscuring information from the player, so I'd say it's half-and-half.

Morpheus posted:

Then make the combat trivial through settings. It's what I did for a particularly annoying enemy gauntlet because I wanted to spend more time on puzzles and less on fighting, and it made for a better time for me.
Sure, but it's still a conversation to have.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
nightmare reaper is a roguelite fps whose skill tree requires you to do a brief retro platforming section for every node. a little flow-breaking, but cute enough so that i didn't mind. then i find it has another skill tree that makes you grind out a pokemon minigame as well

that is too much. i just want to shoot stuff. i shouldn't have to train mons to facilitate that

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I don't think I've played a FPS roguelite that I particularly enjoyed. Mothergunship had a neat gimmick, though: your upgrades are gun barrels and extensions and adapters for your gun, so you just keep building bigger and more elaborate guns.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I'm playing Far Cry Primal and the simple story of primitive tribes fighting over a valley is already far more compelling than FC4.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

nightmare reaper is a roguelite fps whose skill tree requires you to do a brief retro platforming section for every node. a little flow-breaking, but cute enough so that i didn't mind. then i find it has another skill tree that makes you grind out a pokemon minigame as well

that is too much. i just want to shoot stuff. i shouldn't have to train mons to facilitate that

You can turn the upgrade minigames off in the options :)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Phigs posted:

I'm playing Far Cry Primal and the simple story of primitive tribes fighting over a valley is already far more compelling than FC4.

Far Cry Primal got seriously overlooked. It's not a perfect game, but it's definitely better than 4.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Edit: Whoops, wrong place.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

I don't think I've played a FPS roguelite that I particularly enjoyed. Mothergunship had a neat gimmick, though: your upgrades are gun barrels and extensions and adapters for your gun, so you just keep building bigger and more elaborate guns.

I really liked Void Bastards. It feels more like an immersive sim than a run and gun FPS, and the world building is very nicely done. It feels like Parody Bioshock in Space.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

John Murdoch posted:

Far Cry Primal got seriously overlooked. It's not a perfect game, but it's definitely better than 4.

Its the Earth's Children game adaptation we always craved.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Nthing that Primal was pretty great. We don't get many caveman games these days.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

credburn posted:

Prey: Mooncrash was okay, really dragged down by the long load times. I'm going to try it on my PS5 and see if the SSD helps.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

I really liked Void Bastards. It feels more like an immersive sim than a run and gun FPS, and the world building is very nicely done. It feels like Parody Bioshock in Space.

Same, it’s the only FPS roguelite that felt very good to me in the long term but that was mainly due to its resource juggling stuff/decision making on the higher difficulties being really good more than being a particularly stellar FPS.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Oh yeah, Void Bastards was pretty good. I remember it mostly for the jazzy piano runs.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

Jedi Survivor is making me remember how much I hate it when AAA games pad themselves out by adding a ton of on rails or effectively on rails "traversal" sections. Uncharted was over 15 years ago, let it go.

I've realized that over the past couple years I've grown to despise the addition of pointless platforming into action games. It's just this weird legacy THIS IS A VIDJAGAME exercise but it serves no fantasy I have, jumping and climbing around like a loving monkey, enough already.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I remember having to do some platforming in one of the Borderlands games and it being really annoying and poorly implemented.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I mean, Star Wars has swashbuckling action and physical adventuring. I get that maybe players just want lightsaber combat only but it's not doing platforming stuff just for the sake of it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I like the Jedi games a lot, but that is an interesting followup to the really good platforming in Titanfall 2. I like it when they give your Jedi enough extra movement abilities to feel like you're fluidly flying around the traversal areas in a similar way to TF2, but a lot of the slower climbing and such feel like they were just brought in from typical current action/adventure games and feel clunkier in comparison.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lobok posted:

I mean, Star Wars has swashbuckling action and physical adventuring. I get that maybe players just want lightsaber combat only but it's not doing platforming stuff just for the sake of it.

It would be one thing if there was anything to it, but it's so on rails it may as well be a QTE.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Moon Monster posted:

It would be one thing if there was anything to it, but it's so on rails it may as well be a QTE.

It's not all good or great, just saying there is a reason they do it beyond varying the gameplay for its own sake or aping other game trends. It's Star Wars-y.

I just started Fallen Order and already it seems like they do the slide stuff too much but it is cool to go down a chute and time my blocks against the Stormtroopers trying to shoot me to reflect their blasts back at them. It's funny you say it should be QTE because whenever a game allows it I just do auto-complete for QTE. If the game wants to show me some big cinematic action sequence then yeah, do it! Don't toss it to me to screw up.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

I just do auto-complete for QTE. If the game wants to show me some big cinematic action sequence then yeah, do it! Don't toss it to me to screw up.

I dont disagree with this but some times failing a QTE is its own reward like in Wonderful 101

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Lobok posted:

It's Star Wars-y.

I must have missed the SW show or movie where the characters spend a good chunk of time crawling up vertical surfaces, shimmying along ledges, running along walls, etc.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

AcidCat posted:

I've realized that over the past couple years I've grown to despise the addition of pointless platforming into action games. It's just this weird legacy THIS IS A VIDJAGAME exercise but it serves no fantasy I have, jumping and climbing around like a loving monkey, enough already.

Doom: Eternal does this kind of comically. You've flipped the switch that opens the door. But instead of just walking over to it and through it, you need to leap from floating wall to floating wall over a giant chasm! It's absolutely trivial to do, and hard to imagine the people who live and work here also need to parkour around just to get to the break room.

AcidCat posted:

I must have missed the SW show or movie where the characters spend a good chunk of time crawling up vertical surfaces, shimmying along ledges, running along walls, etc.

There was lots of shimmying in Star Wars!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

AcidCat posted:

I mean they abbreviate that part for dramatic effect but video games are generally longer than films.

They don't call that genre of storytelling 'cliffhangers' for nothing

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

credburn posted:

Doom: Eternal does this kind of comically.

There was lots of shimmying in Star Wars!

Yeah I found all the platforming in Doom Eternal insufferable.

And there's a modicum of shimmying in the Star War. A modicum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

AcidCat posted:

Combine the part of Empire immediately after the "I am your father" scene with flippyness of the prequel trilogy Jedi and it matches pretty well, to be fair.