Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i have made myself a mobile base of computers powered and steered using a bicycle... and in my hubris i have become a car....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

quote:

Gen Zers point to many reasons they are turning their backs on cars: anxiety, finances, environmental concern. Many members of Gen Z say they haven’t gotten licensed because they’re afraid of getting into accidents — or of driving itself. Madison Morgan, a 23-year-old from Kennewick, Wash., had multiple high school classmates die in driving accidents. Those memories loomed over her whenever she was behind the wheel.

“When I was learning with my parents, a lot of times I would end up crying because I was so stressed out,” she said. After failing the driving test twice, she decided to take a break until she felt more confident. She now lives in Seattle and takes public transportation or the occasional Uber or Lyft.

Kids these days aren't driving because they're a buncha snowflakes. Got it.

Edit: They also managed to throw in a dash of "drat kids and their phones". This article has it all.

quote:

And Gen Zers have the ability to do things online — hang out with friends, take classes, play games — that used to be available only in person.

“Their thumbs have become much more mobile than their legs,” said Ming Zhang, a professor of regional planning at the University of Texas at Austin.

wash bucket has issued a correction as of 17:59 on May 8, 2023

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
a driver's license is the real participation trophy

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Gen Z will drive as much as previous generations as soon as they have to, because there's no other option.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Most cars have computers in them, checkmated much?!? :smug:
The people who program car software are some of our most effective fighters in the war against cars, bringing it down from the inside.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I imagine having a drivers license for teens these days is like having a truck for an adult.

you don't necessarily need one but it's good to have a friend or two who have them.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I imagine having a drivers license for teens these days is like having a truck for an adult.

Most people who have one don't need one, they're largely for assholes who want to compensate for something, and if you do ever actually need one you can just rent someone else's?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
yeah that's what I said

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

biked from the gym to the grocery store shortly before 7PM (when all the stores close) and made it to checkout at like 6:58, only to find out their card readers were all down: it was cash-only and I didn't have any cash. I put my groceries back on the shelves and biked to the train station, the only location in the city where stores are open past 7:00 and got what I needed.

really glad I was on bike and not in a car because I would have been out the parking charge for Aldi and would've also had to fork over big time for train station parking, and the trip would've taken like 4x as long. instead I zipped past all the car traffic and used the free bike parking right in front.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/741815276827574324/1105169171484000387/4c8708d78507a25113e656aeb238aa0d.mp4

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

webcams for christ posted:

biked from the gym to the grocery store shortly before 7PM (when all the stores close) and made it to checkout at like 6:58, only to find out their card readers were all down: it was cash-only and I didn't have any cash. I put my groceries back on the shelves and biked to the train station, the only location in the city where stores are open past 7:00 and got what I needed.

really glad I was on bike and not in a car because I would have been out the parking charge for Aldi and would've also had to fork over big time for train station parking, and the trip would've taken like 4x as long. instead I zipped past all the car traffic and used the free bike parking right in front.

Kind of blows my mind there’s a place big enough for lousy late evening traffic but small enough the grocery stores close at seven

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

grocery store closes at 7 pm

"certainly this is only okay because I have a bike. otherwise it's a real pain."

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Kind of blows my mind there’s a place big enough for lousy late evening traffic but small enough the grocery stores close at seven

it's called europe

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

biked from the gym to the grocery store shortly before 7PM (when all the stores close)

lmao my rear end would have died of starvation if the grocery stores around here closed at 7pm.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

it's called europe

The Marshall Plan was a mistake

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

1 weird trick to stave off a labor shortage

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

The Marshall Plan was a mistake

Reminder that the Marshall plan had two aims: rebuild Europe as a bulwark against the USSR, and give the American heavy machinery industry a subsidy with extra steps because where else are you gonna buy tractors.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

https://abc7.com/101-freeway-deadly-crash-closure-east-hollywood/13223337/

Car driver having a normal one

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's like when Duterte was doing his tough-on-crime schtick and was implementing curfews all across the nation because the idea was that if you made it illegal to be outside at night, you'd stop all [petty] crime at night

which is completely backwards - the point is that if people are outside all the time, then there's far less opportunity to commit crime because it's all in view of the public

IDK if doing a crime in view of the public is even a deterrent anymore. My partner says stuff like "oh there will be lots of people there in case something happens" and I suppress my urge to correct her saying "yeah, they'll just laugh at us and film it on their phone".

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

yeah that's what I said

Home Depot isn't my friend though

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

it's called europe

When I lived in Europe and I am from europe there was no lack of late night grocery stores

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

putin's invasion into our heart has been very rough on us

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Most surprising thing here is that the wrong-way driver wasn't the pickup driver.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Wrong way drivers are nearly universally either substance abuse, suicide, or 80 yo+ rather than just dickhead aggressive big truck drivers

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

reminder to everyone to get the gently caress out of the suburbs while you still can

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

it's called europe

The English invented driving on the left side and puritanical store hours so blame them (not Europe anymore).

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i have made myself a mobile base of computers powered and steered using a bicycle... and in my hubris i have become a car....

you are lower than poo poo to me - like a microbe that eats only poo poo - but here is a funny picture that is what you are talking about. suck my DIck

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHJLqrO3P4g

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

"Bone vs steel. You don't stand a chance."

drat, these things sound dangerous.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

McCracAttack posted:

"Bone vs steel. You don't stand a chance."

drat, these things sound dangerous.

Probably shouldn't let them roam around places with a lot of pedestrians.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Greatbacon posted:

Probably shouldn't let them roam around places with a lot of pedestrians.

Seems obvious when you say it out loud, huh?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

This is accurate: my province loving hates pedestrians and wishes they'd just get with the programme and get a drat pickup!!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Suburban sprawlers demanding the kind of infrastructural amenities that are designed to service urban-density communities: yes! yes!! i love sowing!!!

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

McCracAttack posted:

Seems obvious when you say it out loud, huh?

I know, right!? :unsmigghh:

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

https://twitter.com/elijahsquid/status/1655568327777955841

This carbrain's hitting the rev-limiter

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Seldom is the question asked, is our children loving?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Seldom is the question asked, is our children loving?

This is a pretty funny reversal from when I grew up.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lol what the hell

FlutieFlake
Nov 5, 2017

dxt posted:

We need to model the rest of the country after walkable Alaska.

America is too big and its population density is too low to be as walkable as Alaska.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Liberty (sex)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
On a positive note, Houston recognized that people like to not drive in the city. The push for "complete streets" started a decade ago. Better sidewalks, bike trails, protected bike lanes, and transit improvements are made every year. Progress is slow though. These improvements only happen when a street is set to be repaved, so Houston only completes a few dozen miles of improvements a year in a giant sprawling city. Houston added 41 miles of bike lanes in 2021. Plus Houston started from zero when it comes to pedestrian and bike infrastructure.

Still, it's cool to bike through Houston and notice there are now wide side walks and bike lines scattered through the city.

Things I would like to see that will probably never happen:
  • lower speed limits in the city
  • less curb cuts ruining side walks
  • a comprehensive protected bike network in my lifetime