Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

They already did the HD remaster

More like RemASSter, lol gotem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Because what SEED really needed was more dead eyed glassy hirai stares. At least when the original went off model it could occasionally look alright.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SatoshiMiwa posted:

SEED is probably the one of the better shows to do a remake or a reboot sequel series as it has the core of a really good series

Is this a bit, or

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I still kinda can't believe they're giving CE a follow up movie 20 years later. There is nothing I want or need to see in that hosed universe expanded on or followed up on.

I'm not saying I won't watch it, just that of all the things they could have done it feels like the most openly cash grabby and otherwise unnecessary.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CE is pretty wide open for interesting stories to happen in it. They just need writers that aren't awful and coherent direction.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I still kinda can't believe they're giving CE a follow up movie 20 years later. There is nothing I want or need to see in that hosed universe expanded on or followed up on.

I'm not saying I won't watch it, just that of all the things they could have done it feels like the most openly cash grabby and otherwise unnecessary.

20 years is long enough for a thing to become nostalgic. That's why we got SEED in the first place, it was about 20 years after the original Gundam and in that time period they tried to cash in on Nostalgia bucks by doing remakes.

Gaius Marius posted:

CE is pretty wide open for interesting stories to happen in it. They just need writers that aren't awful and coherent direction.

Got some bad news about who's directing it and whose script they're basing it on.

You know, assuming they're telling the full truth about it, which I'm not willing to bet on.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I naively assumed he at least had a different writer for the film, but lol.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Was stargazer okay? I've only seen clips of it with the opening rampage by the Ginn but it looked a fair bit nicer than the TV animation.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's okay for what it is. It's not very substantial though

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm fine with that. Being okay for what it is sounds better than being a total waste of time.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

No, I think at its core Seed has some good ideas that could make for a great Gundam/mecha anime. Doss Seed actually reach that potential? No...but that's why I think it'd be a good candidate for a remake

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Notorious ZSB posted:

that title permanently belongs to post-80s UC productions

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

For Sleggar, it seemed to partially tie into Mirai's Newtype intuition going "Hey, dead man walking here. Do something, fast." without her knowing what the heck it was, and partially just the emotional stress combined with her and Bright being kind of on the outs and wanting to do something to make him regret it. Sleggar, meanwhile, seemed to guess that it was more a heat of the moment thing than anything serious, so he kind of tried to talk her down. He's a bit of a lech, but at least he seems to recognize that, when a girl says no (and possibly slaps you), that's entirely fair and you should politely leave her to go about her business.

Yeah, when Mirai approaches him with obvious romantic intentions he tells her that she shouldn't take her emotions in war too seriously and that it's just a heat of the moment thing. He does kiss her when she takes the opportunity of an explosion to land in his arms, but he's plainly not taking it too seriously, even when asking her to take care of his mother's ring given what he'd just said and that he leaves immediately afterwards and shows no hesitation in the actual battle despite having just had a moment with Mirai. If you combine that with him making a single pass at Sayla and then leaving it alone once she makes her feelings clear it comes off less like he's a chauvinist, and more like he's meant to represent someone living in the moment and taking every opportunity because he knows he might die any moment. Which he does. That isn't to say that there's not some chauvinism in the writing of the character, but the character himself doesn't appear to have misogynistic views. I'm not even sure I'd agree there's any chauvinism or misogyny in how he's treated though, because he's an equal opportunity rear end in a top hat and is as happy to slap Cameron as he is to slap Mirai and for basically the same reason with both i.e. that they're both ignoring the other's feelings because of their own. Mirai reacts to the fact he's willing to stand up to others and point out their problems generally, not to the fact he hit her. Which was partly, as you say, because Bright was being so reticent about his feelings for her and not acting upon an obvious attraction between them.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

ding ding ding ding

Should your problem not be with Mirai and/or the writing around her in that case?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

No, I think at its core Seed has some good ideas that could make for a great Gundam/mecha anime. Doss Seed actually reach that potential? No...but that's why I think it'd be a good candidate for a remake

They already failed once, why give them a do over. Why do people constantly call for remakes. They should make new poo poo. Preferably actually good, but you can't win 'em all

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Not that Seed isn't full of a chaff you could cut, but the era of long-running shows is over and that has to be accounted for in any fantasies about remaking a 43+ episode show. At this point the AUs aren't even managing consecutive cours, so your remake of whatever series becomes a potential GWitch situation and airs over the course of almost 2 years.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also the most important thing is that Seed, while popular, sold dookie in the plastic. Why bother?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Was stargazer okay? I've only seen clips of it with the opening rampage by the Ginn but it looked a fair bit nicer than the TV animation.

It's okay. Only about 45 minutes in total so it's a quick watch, the plot is solid, the animation is good, and the characters have interesting arcs.

It's not a must or anything, but I actually liked it better than December Sky, even if the animation was less impressive.

Solid ending, too. Really brings everything together.

Waffleman_ posted:

Also the most important thing is that Seed, while popular, sold dookie in the plastic. Why bother?

SEED sold middle of the road amounts of Gunpla, focused on the protagonist Gundams. Nothing Bandai was disappointed in, but there was clear room for improvement.

Unfortunately, Destiny did the opposite of improving, with Gunpla sales cratering even as DVD sales stayed steady.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think I mentioned it already but the entire original dub of SEED is free on Internet Archive
https://archive.org/details/mobilesuitgundamseedphase01falsepeace1920x1080h264ac3

I liked Seed. Not one of my fave Gundams but perfectly mid tier, and with some parts which stand out as legit great. What used to always perplex me was how some people claimed Seed was at its best early on. You know, when every episode contained "Athrun?! Athrun Zala?!" recaps. I realize they're just saying "Seed was at its best when it was a ripoff of 0079" but that's a dumb argument.

By my reckoning, Seed is absolutely at its best later on when it finds more of its own identity, digs into Corrdinators more and of course Rau finally goes off the deep end. Also Azrael was such a fun villain in his own, far more cartoonish right. The entire last stretch of Seed is perfect in a way even my beloved Wing can't really compare to. Speaking of Azrael, Natarle is a great, underrated character in the show and I love her tragic end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNiMTY_oaR4

God I love this song so much. Top 5 tracks in any Gundam for me.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Fivemarks posted:

So apparently Gundam twitter is trying to rehabilitate AGE.

I mean the AGE-1(including all of its Wears including the ones that were only in the game) and AGE-FX are excellent Gundams and the Vagans have an excellent MS aesthetic but otherwise AGE is the definition of mediocre

ninjewtsu posted:

i have seen no reason to hate non-destiny seed but i have also never been given a compelling reason to watch it, outside of it being very gorey apparently which does make me consider it as i do enjoy some good gore

Nah SEED doesn't use gore well at all, it feels really out of place with the show's overall aesthetic not to mention is done in an ugly way

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Early 2000s digipaint gore tends to look awful like somebody just used the red fill button on MS Paint.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's also only really majorly gory in two or three spots; which lends to the incongruity heavily. Just poor direction all things considered, much like most of SEED.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Logh sort of does the same thing, and attempts some of the same messaging with it; regarding gore. It however is much more obvious, but also more competent with it. The juxtaposition between Fork and Yang shows the pure chance of death in the setting, and the juxtaposition between the random conscripts and soldiers and the Nobles of the Empire and the Politicians in Henissan is both obvious and powerful.

Seemingly random punctuation of extreme violence can be done well e.g. The Coens, The Hammer in the Hand scene from Drive, Fukuda is just incompetent. Most of the franchise is except Tomino I suppose. IBO tries and fails, not in the amount of violence but in its reticence to murder it's main cast; reducing its bodycount to nobodies and side pieces. Brisket doesn't count; you cannot raise that many death flags and pretend the portent of death is not stalking.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 9, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Arc Hammer posted:

Early 2000s digipaint gore tends to look awful like somebody just used the red fill button on MS Paint.

Exactly

Gaius Marius posted:

It's also only really majorly gory in two or three spots; which lends to the incongruity heavily. Just poor direction all things considered, much like most of SEED.

Yup it's gross and distracting

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I agree with the idea that early Seed is better, not because I love it weakly redoing 0079, but because it's the part where characters and ideas still feel like they have promise instead of what they flatten into after Kira's revival. Basically ignorance is bliss.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah it's really distracting. SEED is mostly squeaky clean on the brutal violence front except for a couple of very notable times where it suddenly isn't. The sudden hyperviolence is useful to the narrative arguably once(when Nichol and Tolle both die horribly on-screen), but the other times it's just...why did they do this.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Stargazer is fine and I'll always give props to depictions of poor tanks against mechs.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

drrockso20 posted:

I mean the AGE-1(including all of its Wears including the ones that were only in the game) and AGE-FX are excellent Gundams and the Vagans have an excellent MS aesthetic but otherwise AGE is the definition of mediocre

I like most of the Vagan MS aesthetics in general and I do feel like they're a bit of a callback to how radically different Moonrace MS designs are in Turn A. For me, Gundam Legilis is the best MS design in the show and I think it's still one of the top designs across all of Gundam - it's the closest thing we have to a real good Gundam/Escaflowne hybrid design.

I just wish it was in a better show and it didn't get utterly chumped in the final fight because plot.

haypliss posted:

I agree with the idea that early Seed is better, not because I love it weakly redoing 0079, but because it's the part where characters and ideas still feel like they have promise instead of what they flatten into after Kira's revival. Basically ignorance is bliss.

Yeah, I feel that. Flay using Kira's interest in her to start up a relationship with him in order to manipulate him into killing Coordinators to satiate her desire for revenge is... actually a pretty bold and interesting move for them to take with her and fleshed her out in ways that most of the other characters never got. She even gets a complete character arc, only for her to get fridged by the writers which... is unfortunately par for the course for their general lack of writing ability in the second half of SEED, post-Kira Jesus Yamato.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The Freedom remains a top tier protagonist suit design imo.

The gold blinged out destiny versions are dumb, but the original is still a very cool and good classically styled hero MS.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm surprised to see love for the AGE-FX - it just really doesn't seem like an appealing suit. It's boxy and jagged in a really inelegant way, with an ugly colour scheme thanks to the lack of strong contrast between the green, blue and yellow. The 00 Qan [T] (which it appears to have been heavily inspired by) shows how to pull off a similar design concept with far more elegance and flair, as does the later Gundam Aerial.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Rau's original english VA is something amazing to behold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUYZotTQr3E

I guess it counts as a writing failure to have your protagonist be unable to properly refute the main villain's philosophical points?

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 9, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/buildfighters/status/1656086649934323712

New build miniseries, seems to be just 3 episodes all coming in october.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know, I like how these newer AU Gundam series have forged their own identity and most of them have the legs to go on and do new series set in their own timelines. IBO gets Urdr Hunt, Build has been going strong for years, and I even if G Witch ends with a single 24 episode showing I can totally see more shows set in it's AU because the setting is absolutely ripe for it. Hell even the Cosmic Era is getting new content.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/buildfighters/status/1656086649934323712

New build miniseries, seems to be just 3 episodes all coming in october.

They announced this a couple months ago at the same time they announced their own actual metaverse which is lol

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I would like Build to get actual series again, but I assume we are getting hosed in that department by the AMAIM spinoff while GWitch is ongoing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hah, finally, an IBO protagonist suit. Is the other non-SD based off the Rising Gundam? That's a fairly deep cut for a protag machine.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Darth Walrus posted:

Hah, finally, an IBO protagonist suit. Is the other non-SD based off the Rising Gundam? That's a fairly deep cut for a protag machine.

I think it's actually the first Build protagonist suit to be based on the RX-78 2

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Perspective on that Naginata is hosed

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

OK, I actually really like that new Gundam design. New shoulderpads and a new v-fin, slight change to the front skirts, and on the left leg you can actually see how those big new knees were just put on top of the RX-78's normal knees.

The Build franchise has had a habit of going into insane scratchbuilds where there's barely anything of a regular Gunpla left to it. With this one you can really see that it is a stock RX-78 with just a few new pieces and paint scheme. But that's still enough for it to immediately read as a unique thing.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I think it's actually the first Build protagonist suit to be based on the RX-78 2

The Core Gundam was also based on RX-78 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

are they finally going back to plastic models duking it out or is it dumb vr stuff again