Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bip Roberts posted:

I don't know who the second dude is but I don't trust anyone with that beard.

I think that's Dallas Braden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I think that's Dallas Braden

It is

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
He looks like Dr Teeth

Here’s an interesting angle from pro-follow Clinton Yates:
https://twitter.com/clintonyates/status/1654860808348917760?s=46&t=WVceeWcLlqXlE2y7eNkQ_Q

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1655670978381226001

Huggins decided to be really lovely and WLW's hosts yucked it up right along with him, never once considering to hit the dump button or anything.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1655670978381226001

Huggins decided to be really lovely and WLW's hosts yucked it up right along with him, never once considering to hit the dump button or anything.

That’s about par for the course with Bill Cunningham. Huggins was probably loaded. Again.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Huggins issued an apology and WVU is apparently investigating it

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nybble posted:

He looks like Dr Teeth

Here’s an interesting angle from pro-follow Clinton Yates:
https://twitter.com/clintonyates/status/1654860808348917760?s=46&t=WVceeWcLlqXlE2y7eNkQ_Q

Huh, I've always heard it produced knee-gro and never how Yates said it

I can see why

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Huh, I've always heard it produced knee-gro and never how Yates said it

I can see why

I’ve heard it both ways, but typically from older Black southerners or in archive footage, not a white sportscaster.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1655908684369743874?s=46

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I guess some people really just can't help make jokes at other people's expense. Even if this was just some plain old white guy, it's a lovely joke. People would get in a lot less trouble if they actually thought about what they were about to say, but I know that's hard when you're an idiot.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

That's a Lizzo-sized oof right there, right ESPN?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah the "sportscaster attempting to be a comedian" thing is extremely worn out and hopefully this is the end of it

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

right in the middle of budget cuts

https://twitter.com/andrewmarchand/status/1655960876900577280?s=46

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They could have kept Dan LeBatard instead if they had any sense

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

On one of the recent Skipper/Samson sports biz shows on LeBatard’s show, Samson pressed about what kind of people you’d cut during budget cuts, and it wasn’t your Stephen As or the like, because with high salary at least they were major contributors to the business (attention, quality, etc). Counter-intuitively it might make sense for similar reasons to get somebody like this to invest in refreshing the lineup, because he would probably be a draw.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Vertical Lime posted:

well here's some bally fallout

a phoenix broadcast station snagged the rights to the the suns and mercury and will syndicate it to the rest of arizona

https://www.azfamily.com/2023/04/28/arizonas-family-announces-transformative-broadcast-partnership-with-phoenix-suns-phoenix-mercury/

Aaaand it's been voided.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Edward Mass posted:

Aaaand it's been voided.

I just read about this and the bankruptcy court had to stop it because it is so bad.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/BackAftaThis/status/1656362374558023680

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Baba Oh Really posted:

I just read about this and the bankruptcy court had to stop it because it is so bad.
I don't know much about the OTA deal other than that it's an OTA deal. What was so bad about it?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/NBCSportsPR/status/1656684822864035845

like 2022, everything will be on peacock

unlike other european olympics, the big-ticket events will be shown live in the afternoon on nbc

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Crazy Ted posted:

I don't know much about the OTA deal other than that it's an OTA deal. What was so bad about it?

The OTA isn't bad but it is hilarious that the Suns don't have to give a gently caress about Bally's anymore. It is more that Diamond bled so much money that they can't even contend with getting an OTA deal to recoup all their losses.

Edit: I was more laughing at the situation but yeah vvvvv

Baba Oh Really fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 11, 2023

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Crazy Ted posted:

It was very insider trading. The Suns/Mercury sent a letter to Bally Sports that failed to mention they were looking at OTA broadcasters, and with Gray Television/Kiswe offering less money than Bally Sports it was fishy, given that Bally Sports is allowed as their current broadcaster to bid for rights.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1656752122493300743

noooooo

quote:

“Those of you who knew her radio personality Phyllis Of Mulga may be under the wrong impression of her character, allow me to correct that,” her son wrote.

“The fire in her calls was always to pull for an underdog or to defend someone being unjustly attacked. She was the kind of woman instead of being buried in her breast cancer wig she adored, she asked me to donate it to a cancer patient in need. Her faith in God was stalwart and absolutely unshakable even in the face of disease and losing both of her daughters and her husband, my Father. She would rather give you something than keep it herself. She never greeted anyone with anything but a smile and a hug. The world lost a good woman today, but Heaven now has a warrior angel the devil himself doesn’t want to cross.”

:unsmith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Edward Mass posted:

It was very insider trading. The Suns/Mercury sent a letter to Bally Sports that failed to mention they were looking at OTA broadcasters, and with Gray Television/Kiswe offering less money than Bally Sports it was fishy, given that Bally Sports is allowed as their current broadcaster to bid for rights.

Yeah, the judge's ruling was that the Gray TV deal violated Bally's existing contract with the Suns.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I dream of a day where people actually realize that Chicago isn’t even in the top 10 for crime rate. Doesn’t fit right winger’s narrative though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

I dream of a day where people actually realize that Chicago isn’t even in the top 10 for crime rate. Doesn’t fit right winger’s narrative though.
Oh there's a reason why they keep bringing up Chicago.

Spoilers- it's because of all of the black people

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh there's a reason why they keep bringing up Chicago.

Spoilers- it's because of all of the black people

I think it’s actually Obama, and it’s a big city run by Dems in a Dem controlled state. Memphis and St. Louis are full of black people too, but they’re in Republican controlled states so it doesn’t fit the narrative as well.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

I think it’s actually Obama, and it’s a big city run by Dems in a Dem controlled state. Memphis and St. Louis are full of black people too, but they’re in Republican controlled states so it doesn’t fit the narrative as well.

It's both. Chicago is the city with black people, including their one specific boogeyman. They couldn't name someone from Memphis or St. Louis whatsoever.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Plus Chicago and Illinois as a whole have famously corrupt local politics that they can point to. But it is really fun to imagine them all pissing themselves in fear at the Logan Square farmers market.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Plus Chicago and Illinois as a whole have famously corrupt local politics that they can point to. But it is really fun to imagine them all pissing themselves in fear at the Logan Square farmers market.

maybe they just saw the prices!!!!!!!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chicago has been "high crime default city" since it was Italians and Irish shooting each other

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

Chicago has been "high crime default city" since it was Italians and Irish shooting each other
But people referring to it in derogatory terms definitely went up about a dozen notches when Barack Obama became President.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea. Republicans cheered when Chicago lost out on their bid for the 2016 summer Olympics. They just hate this city now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yea. Republicans cheered when Chicago lost out on their bid for the 2016 summer Olympics. They just hate this city now.

I mean, that was probably a win for Chicago. Historically, the Olympics are huge money wastes for the host cities.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

I also cheered lol.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Timby posted:

I mean, that was probably a win for Chicago. Historically, the Olympics are huge money wastes for the host cities.

Also considering what they do to the cities poor when that’s at least a win for them

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Olympics are going to gently caress up Los Angeles in a few years

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Olympics are going to gently caress up Los Angeles in a few years

Chasing the dream of '84, The Profitable Olympics

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Like it's possible if you don't have to build anything for it to be profitable.

But very annoying for residents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dexo posted:

Like it's possible if you don't have to build anything for it to be profitable.

After you take into account all the under-the-table money that prospective host cities slip to the IOC to try and grease the wheels in their favor, not really.