Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

CommonShore posted:

Yeah there's probably no universal flood myth, but some of them may reach back to the ice age. There are Australian flood myths that map pretty convincingly onto ice age geography.

I thought this claim has drawn some pretty heavy skepticism. Primordial cultural memories are appealing in a Romantic sort of way but sadly not really a real thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did they even have glaciers in Australia?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The floods were world wide as it was sea level rise

We are still in an ice age too (for another 4 years or so )

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Concerning, seems like Tasmanian devils had unfettered access to the main continent before the ice age ended

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My understanding is that it's an ice age if there is permanent ice on the Earth's surface at all.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Check out "The Edge of Memory: Ancient Stories, Oral Tradition and the Post-Glacial World" by Patrick Nunn for some interesting discussion of this; I just read it recently, quite compelling

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Su-omi

Su-mer

makes you think

Lol it honestly does make me think. But to add to the pile of reasons this is super unlikely, the word Sumer is an exonym from Akkadian.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Nessus posted:

My understanding is that it's an ice age if there is permanent ice on the Earth's surface at all.

yes, technically we are still in an ice age. man made climate change is not going to annihilate the planet, it is just accelerating it into an interglacial period.

that does not mean it is not extremely concerning and bad, its just not going to turn the world into venus or something, the earth has been significantly warmer than now plenty of times

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yes, technically we are still in an ice age. man made climate change is not going to annihilate the planet, it is just accelerating it into an interglacial period.

that does not mean it is not extremely concerning and bad, its just not going to turn the world into venus or something, the earth has been significantly warmer than now plenty of times
Yeah, basically. Is it even possible for an ice age to technically end given the location of Antarctica? (We assume for this purpose that no giant meteorites or other superweapons are involved)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Oh yeah, Earth can definitely get hot enough for Antarctica to melt. There were polar forests during the Cretaceous warming period which blows away anything happening now, it was like 14 C above our baseline.

What I'm saying is we're currently in amateur hour and need to step up. Burn every bit of coal you can find.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh yeah, Earth can definitely get hot enough for Antarctica to melt. There were polar forests during the Cretaceous warming period which blows away anything happening now, it was like 14 C above our baseline.

What I'm saying is we're currently in amateur hour and need to step up. Burn every bit of coal you can find.
You're not my real dad!

I'm not sure Antarctica was in its present position at that time, either. I have heard theories that a pretty major part of our current world climate situation is because the Himalayas are so loving tall they're like a third pole.

However, I do not believe continental drift is consequential on the human scale of events.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It wasn't, but Pangaea stretched to the poles so we have fossils of polar stuff from that period.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I believe having any year-round ice at sea level, anywhere on the planet, is a rarity at a geologic time scale. I've heard the term "ice age" restricted to specifically mean when there's year-round ice outside of the arctic and antarctic circles, though. There's another term for when there's permanent ice at the poles, but I forget what it is.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Koramei posted:

I thought this claim has drawn some pretty heavy skepticism. Primordial cultural memories are appealing in a Romantic sort of way but sadly not really a real thing.

I haven't dived too far into it tbh - skepticism is probably warranted but I saw a summary of a couple of the myths to geography that were enough to make me think "if the evidence has been presented fairly, that's pretty convincing" - stuff like "those islands out there used to be part of the mainland connected to that peninsula over there until [mythological narrative event]" or "our ancestors walked here from another land far to the north and then a flood cut us off and made the ocean."

The main reason that I found it convincing enough is that the narrative, geographical, geological, and genetic data points all line up within a margin of error proportional to the specificity you can get out of myth. But, it's not a thing that I've properly studied. I'd be curious to read a critique of it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Google seems to support this theory, to my surprise

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/news-a...%20Rose%20said.

Huh, interesting. The trouble I have with the idea that the Sumerians were pushed into Mesopotamia by encroaching sea is that one of the big arcs of the Sumerian historical period is land filling in the Persian Gulf. Ur was a coastal city for example, and settlements would have to be abandoned because they no longer had access to sea trade/fishing.

Anyway in terms of crazy historical theories, one of my favorites (that has been thoroughly discredited) is Sino-Babylonianism, which is kind of what it sounds like: a theory that Chinese civilization is a descendant of Babylon. Specifically that the Yellow Emperor was a historical figure born in Mesopotamia who lead a mass migration to China. The weirdest part of this is that even though it reads like an insane white guy's racist theory from the 19th century (French in this case), it was actually really well received by Chinese nationalists, largely because it had a strong anti-Manchu angle.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I wasn't kidding about the Korean thing, it's a real assertion by a certain brand of Korean nationalists. There's a book called the Samguk Yusa which purports to be history but is mostly legends and fairy tales, mentioned in it is a Korean land called Sumiliguk. Sumili sounds like Sumer, therefore Sumerians were Koreans.

This isn't exactly a common belief, but it's more widespread than you might imagine. There's levels of nutty Korean nationalist things and this is maybe like 60% toward the insane end.

Tulip posted:

The weirdest part of this is that even though it reads like an insane white guy's racist theory from the 19th century (French in this case), it was actually really well received by Chinese nationalists, largely because it had a strong anti-Manchu angle.

This happens a lot more than you might think. Like the entire basis for Koreans believing that turtle ships were ironclads was a mistranslation an American missionary made, there's nothing in the historical record to support it and lots of evidence against.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 9, 2023

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
There's a lot of nationalists who want to claim their origin with the Sumerians. Turkish nationalists and Tamil nationalists both also sometimes do this. As the oldest known literate civilization, the attaching yourself to the Sumerians are an attractive way to claim your people are more ancient than anyone else.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

Double posting, going back to the original question about the Sumerians and the Babylonians, one thing that makes the distinction very hard to draw is the fact that Babylonian culture was thoroughly imbued with Sumerian heritage. Babylonian literature draws heavily on earlier Sumerian works, Babylonian religion is largely identical to Sumerian religion (the link here is even closer than Roman and Greek religions), and Babylonian systems of administration, mathematics, and law borrow very heavily from Sumerian predecessors. Babylonian temple architecture is exceptionally similar to the Sumerian model (major changes in Mesopotamian temples don't show up until the Neo-Assyrians in the 1st millennium BC). Babylonian scribal culture also highly prized knowledge of Sumerian. One Babylonian proverb (written in Sumerian) says that a scribe who does not Sumerian is not actually a scribe at all. It's extremely difficult to isolate "Babylonian" vs "Sumerian" cultural elements, since so much was borrowed, mixed, and re-mixed, and re-interpreted. This is not say that nothing changed in Mesopotamian culture over time, things certainly did, sometimes quite significantly. There were some very important cultural innovations in the 2nd and 1st millennia, but there is not a moment you can point to and say this is when the culture became Babylonian instead of Sumerian.

CrypticFox fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 9, 2023

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Basically once the Babylonians became a dominant power they told everyone that the Sumerian gods were pretty cool, but too terrified of Tiamat, so the Babylonian god Marduk showed up and suplexed Tiamat back into the sea, so the Sumerian gods made Marduk the king of the gods and that's why the Sumerians need to follow Babylon. Also we're moving all the holy relics of the Sumerian gods into Babylon. For safekeeping.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Marduk sounds pretty cool.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

sullat posted:

Basically once the Babylonians became a dominant power they told everyone that the Sumerian gods were pretty cool, but too terrified of Tiamat, so the Babylonian god Marduk showed up and suplexed Tiamat back into the sea, so the Sumerian gods made Marduk the king of the gods and that's why the Sumerians need to follow Babylon. Also we're moving all the holy relics of the Sumerian gods into Babylon. For safekeeping.

That's not really a "once Babylonians became a dominant power" thing though, the religious changes you are describing don't begin to occur until around 1200 BC, 600 years after Babylon became the dominant city in Southern Mesopotamia, and they took centuries to complete. During the days of Hammurabi and his dynasty, and during the following dynasty, no one made any attempt to elevate Marduk to the status of king of the gods. There's really no evidence of ethnic conflict between Babylonians and Sumerians during the rise of Babylon. In fact there's not really a distinct Sumerian ethnic identity during this period. Babylon was not culturally or ethnically distinct from any other city in Southern Mesopotamia during their rise to power. The religion practiced by Hammurabi was extremely similar to that practiced in Uruk or Ur. Enlil was recognized as the king of of gods, as he had been for at least the past thousand years, and Marduk was limited to being the city god of Babylon.

The transition from "Sumerian" to "Babylonian" was not the result of the Babylonian conquest of the region. In the two centuries preceding Hammurabi's birth, significant political and cultural changes had been underway in Mesopotamia. The Sumerian language began to die out as a spoken language around 2000 BC, and it was most certainly dead as a spoken language by Hammurabi's day. However, Sumerian personal names remained in use for many centuries after, and many legal documents, religious hymns, and literary works continued to be composed in Sumerian well into the 2nd millennium. Following the end of the Kingdom of Ur in 2004 BC, large numbers of nomadic Amorites migrated into Mesopotamia and settled there. The Amorites largely assimilated into the Sumero-Akkadian culture of the region, but people retained an Amorite identity on top of that. For reasons that are rather unclear, by 1900 BC or so, essentially all of the Southern Mesopotamian cities were ruled by Amorite kings. This didn't change the culture hugely. The Amorite language was never really written down, and religion, architecture, and most other aspects of Mesopotamian culture were not hugely influenced by Amorite culture. However, being Amorite was an important point of social and political identification. Hammurabi was descended from Amorites, like nearly all Mesopotamian kings of his day. In practice he was deeply steeped in Sumero-Akkadian cultural traditions, and its not clear if he even would have spoken Amorite. But the main point here is that when Babylon rose to power, it wasn't Babylonians trying to convince Sumerians to follow Babylon. Instead, it was a world where everyone in the political elite (and many outside it) identified as Amorite, and considered themselves to have a shared Amorite ancestry. This shared Amorite ancestry was very important to Mesopotamian kings, they invoke in letters to each others. The key intermediate step in identity between "Sumerian" and "Babylonian" is "Amorite," and these were gradual changes that did not move in a linear direction. Sumerian identity (as such as it ever even really existed, this is debatable), was not trampled by an ascendant Babylon. Rather, gradual changes over time lead to the development of a shared, blended Akkadian-Sumerian-Amorite culture throughout Mesopotamia that was already in place by the time Babylon took over the region.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Huh, I might have had the right idea the first time around that the centre of power drifted over time rather than being a particular conquest or such. And also one of those things to keep in mind that people of that time do not necessarily at all identify in the same ways that we've been taught to identify them historically.

Religion also tends to be weird at the best of times, look at the umbrella of 'Christianity' for modern examples of weirdness that'd be hard to explain without cultural context and not much easier with it.

Actually, speaking of religion, I'm wondering about 'household gods', or penates and lares, and their equivalents across various cultures. I'm mostly thinking that Doctor Who episode where the dad reminds his son to give thanks to the household gods like telling a surly teenager to wipe his feet.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Benagain posted:

Marduk sounds pretty cool.

Marduk rules!!

But he desires not the barren wasteland of your desiccated viscera.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wikipedia mentions this site but does not discuss it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tell_el-%27Oueili

Does anyone have more info ?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is it Mar-duck like the wet bird or Msr-dook like the seminal 1994 Green Day album Dookie?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually, speaking of religion, I'm wondering about 'household gods', or penates and lares, and their equivalents across various cultures. I'm mostly thinking that Doctor Who episode where the dad reminds his son to give thanks to the household gods like telling a surly teenager to wipe his feet.

Yeah pretty sure this was standard. Most folks were pantheists, and believed there were gods everywhere.

I read a great paper once about religious practices around construction. Apparently, while building a house, you would have a shrine with an idol representing the god of construction on-site to bless the process. (Of course, the icon wasn't just a representation, but an actual instantiation of the god himself.)

But at the end of construction, you didn't want the god of construction to stick around, because if there was more construction, it meant that something had gone terribly wrong. So there was a whole process for decommissioning the shrine. They would take the idol, with great ceremony, chants, burning incense, etc, through the city on a litter, on down to the river. There they would place him on a specially-prepared mini-boat, and very ceremoniously kick him off to be carried as far down the loving river as possible.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

CommonShore posted:

I haven't dived too far into it tbh - skepticism is probably warranted but I saw a summary of a couple of the myths to geography that were enough to make me think "if the evidence has been presented fairly, that's pretty convincing" - stuff like "those islands out there used to be part of the mainland connected to that peninsula over there until [mythological narrative event]" or "our ancestors walked here from another land far to the north and then a flood cut us off and made the ocean."

The main reason that I found it convincing enough is that the narrative, geographical, geological, and genetic data points all line up within a margin of error proportional to the specificity you can get out of myth. But, it's not a thing that I've properly studied. I'd be curious to read a critique of it.

My favorite example of this is the catastrophic eruption of Mt Mazama that created Crater Lake. Human habitation in the area is well attested to at least 10,000 years ago, and the eruption was 7700 years ago. Local myths speak to it pretty directly:

quote:

The Klamath Native Americans of the area believed that Mount Mazama was inhabited by Llao, their "Chief of the Below World."[100] After the mountain destroyed itself the Klamaths recounted the events as a great battle between Llao and his rival Skell, their sky god,[101] or "Chief of the Above World."[100] The narrative has several slightly different iterations. A common variant of the legend recounts that Llao saw a beautiful Klamath woman, the daughter of a chief, and became angry when she refused his offer of immortality if she would be his consort. Furious, Llao emerged from Mazama and threw fire upon the people beneath the mountain, and Skell stood on Mount Shasta, trying to defend the people against Llao's fury. As the earth shook and volcanic rock fell from the sky, two holy men sacrificed themselves to Mount Mazama's crater, and Skell was able to force Llao back into the volcano, which then collapsed on top of him;[100] other accounts tell that Skell smashed the peak on top of Llao.[102] Torrential rain followed, filling in the hole left by Mazama's collapse to form Crater Lake.[100]

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

euphronius posted:

Yeah and it’s cool to me at least to try and piece together what was going on there from Sumer. Although I think what we have from archeology in Sumer is still thousands of years after whenever the flood was

The Archaeological evidence on Sumer is interesting because we have incredibly detail records on certain aspects of their society while lacking extremely basic knowledge in other areas

like for example we do not know who the early Sumer kings are (the Sumerian king list is obviously not reliable as they claim reigns of 1000+ years for some of those kings). However we also have bureaucratic records on agricultural production in the 22nd century BC that allow us to figure out how much wheat vs barley the Sumerians were planting.

Like it's as if tomorrow a giant meteor destroyed the US: then 10,000 years later future historians uncover this intact IRS office: so they can figure out what the annual budget of the US federal government was in the year 2023 but can't tell whether George Washington was actually the first president or a made up legendary figure

Typo fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 10, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

He's both.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm not surprised, especially with Are You Being Served? being on the nose enough about the British class system and stereotypes for the audience to pick up on what the joke is meant to be, and those being all the funnier to a different culture.

Also reminded that Columbo is huge in Japan apparently because they already had a tradition of detective stories in a similar mould- where the audience learns who did the crime and how at the beginning, and the reveal is how the detective figures it out- which it slotted right into.

Columbo's popular everywhere. It almost caused an international incident in Romania because they ran out of episodes to air and started airing reruns right when relations between Romania and the US publicly nosedived so everyone thought it was government retaliation. The state department had Peter Falk film a PSA explaining that they stopped filming 10 years ago to prevent riots.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
The sagas claim he was "Six-foot-twenty, loving killing for fun"

Edit: George Washington, not Peter Falk

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

euphronius posted:

Wikipedia mentions this site but does not discuss it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tell_el-%27Oueili

Does anyone have more info ?

That site was excavated by a French team, so most of the scholarship about it is written in French. I did find this short article by one of the excavators of the site in English though: https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/epdf/10.2307/3210313, which should be freely accessible and has a lot more information than the wiki page. The site is important because its the earliest evidence of occupation in the Southern Mesopotamian alluvium. The oldest accessible layer shows fairly significant architecture already in place. Unfortunately, its not possible to reach the earliest layer of the site, because the earliest layers are now below the water table. They had to invent a new term for the period discovered at this site. The earliest occupation of the alluvium is called the Ubaid period, and it had previously divided into five sub periods, numbered 1 to 5, based on stratigraphic layers at Eridu and Ur. But when this site was discovered, they had a layer earlier than Ubaid 1, which they named Ubaid 0.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

CrypticFox posted:

That site was excavated by a French team, so most of the scholarship about it is written in French. I did find this short article by one of the excavators of the site in English though: https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/epdf/10.2307/3210313, which should be freely accessible and has a lot more information than the wiki page. The site is important because its the earliest evidence of occupation in the Southern Mesopotamian alluvium. The oldest accessible layer shows fairly significant architecture already in place. Unfortunately, its not possible to reach the earliest layer of the site, because the earliest layers are now below the water table. They had to invent a new term for the period discovered at this site. The earliest occupation of the alluvium is called the Ubaid period, and it had previously divided into five sub periods, numbered 1 to 5, based on stratigraphic layers at Eridu and Ur. But when this site was discovered, they had a layer earlier than Ubaid 1, which they named Ubaid 0.

lol hell yeah, video-game rear end naming scheme

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s wants 20$ for the article hahah.

I’d give them 50c for it oh well.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tulip posted:

They didn't call it Big Ubaid though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Columbo's popular everywhere. It almost caused an international incident in Romania because they ran out of episodes to air and started airing reruns right when relations between Romania and the US publicly nosedived so everyone thought it was government retaliation. The state department had Peter Falk film a PSA explaining that they stopped filming 10 years ago to prevent riots.
I wonder if this inspired Comrade Detective at all.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Tulip posted:

Ubaid 0 was a big deal because while you could excavate Eridu in all the previous ones, it was the first time you could switch between excavating Eridu and Ur.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Reading ‘The Horse, the Wheel, and Language’ and just thought this was a funny way to characterize megaliths

quote:

“In northern and western Europe, some Neolithic communities celebrated their hauling capacities by moving gigantic stones to make megalithic community tombs and stone henges; other communities hauled earth, making massive earthworks. These constructions demonstrated in a visible, permanent way the solidity and strength of the communities that made them, which depended in many ways on human hauling capacities.”

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Koramei posted:

Reading ‘The Horse, the Wheel, and Language’ and just thought this was a funny way to characterize megaliths

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Neolithic peoples would've lived the Ford F-150.