Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was working in a hotel in Germany at the time (gap year before everyone did them) and a bunch of people who had been on a kibbutz came to work there and I so wanted to go to a kibbutz being a bit of a commie. Never did go.

My dad spent time on a Kibbutz in the 60s. They were up on the Golan heights; he has a few pretty wild stories. When herding (it was a cattle herding kibbutz) up on the border they used to carry rifles just in case the Syrian guards started getting trigger happy. Also had a mig fly over him and fire missiles at something down the valley; he said that until it went over he thought it was going to fire at him because he was the only thing that he could see that looked like a target.

He also got literally thrown out of Egypt because of the Israeli stamps in his passport.

eta: Have some bougie meatballs-to-be having a layin.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Eurovision is awesome. Extremely pro LGBT+, loads of campy weird and catchy songs and performances, and yeah, it's a lot of fun to watch along with your friends and get drunk and catty.

Oct 4, 2005

Love Eurovision, especially when it goes weird. Sometimes theres even a song that alright.

The UK entry is always cringe though.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

How can it be Eurovision if Australia is a participant?

Hard agree it's the dumbest poo poo ever.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Diet Crack posted:

And Israel. It hasn't been EUROvision since the 70s if not earlier, but it's still a fun song contest.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I understand why people like it but it does nothing for me, personally.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Diet Crack posted:

How can it be Eurovision if Australia Israel is a participant?

At least though Israel's involvement leads to some Palestine flag action from time to time, sucks though.

And UK's involvement seems increasingly unnecessary - yes I know you're still technically in Europe, and a paying member of the EBU, and even hosting the competition this year (pathetic clout-chasing imo), but kinda seems like a dignified withdrawal after Brexit would have been appropriate, plus UK consistently sends absolutely drab shite performers year after year.

I'm going to a birthday Eurovision party this year and then clubbing with the non-genders afterwards, seems like the best way to do it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Diet Crack posted:

Because there's an abandoned town in Western Australia called Euro.

Does the UK have one of those?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Because there's an abandoned town in Western Australia called Euro.

Does the UK have one of those?

UK has a lot of abandoned towns, but people keep on living in them regardless

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Australians are sunburnt Brits, and they love godawful trash and being racist as poo poo. They are European by their actions if not location.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Diet Crack posted:

Because Eurovision is the network operated by the European Broadcasting Union, and that's the organisation that runs the Song Contest. It's the same as how the World Series of Baseball only features US teams; the series is named after the newspaper that first sponsored it, it's not an actual world championship.

Australia and Israel are both associate members of the EBU, so they can participate by invitation only. Canada have also occasionally participated in Eurovision events, but not in the Song Contest. But there's no reason why there couldn't be a South African, Chinese or American entry to Eurovision, apart from them all having more taste and better sense.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jedit posted:

Because Eurovision is the network operated by the European Broadcasting Union, and that's the organisation that runs the Song Contest. It's the same as how the World Series of Baseball only features US teams; the series is named after the newspaper that first sponsored it, it's not an actual world championship.

Australia and Israel are both associate members of the EBU, so they can participate by invitation only. Canada have also occasionally participated in Eurovision events, but not in the Song Contest. But there's no reason why there couldn't be a South African, Chinese or American entry to Eurovision, apart from them all having more taste and better sense.

I'm not really sure I'd hold up the Yanks as having taste and sense.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I understand why people like it but it does nothing for me, personally.

Yeah, I get why people enjoy it, but I am essentially physically incapable of sitting through (what I regard as) bad music without getting mad. A large part of why I gave up on going to "rock/metal clubs" back in the day, I just got mad at how lazy and repetitive the DJs would be. I can handle it when I'm in a specific mood but that's rare. I bet it hasn't changed either: it'll still be Davidian, Bodies, something off the first Slipknot album, etc, please ignore that nu-metal is older than a lot of people at the club

Music matters too much to me to engage in it ironically :( I'd also be a poo poo DJ because I'd be far too amused by creating a playlist of floor clearers rather than floor fillers.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jedit posted:

It's the same as how the World Series of Baseball only features US teams; the series is named after the newspaper that first sponsored it, it's not an actual world championship.

pretty sure this is false

e: here's a snopes thing

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
a lot of nill point energy given off by posters in this thread today

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

I bet it hasn't changed either: it'll still be Davidian, Bodies, something off the first Slipknot album, etc, please ignore that nu-metal is older than a lot of people at the club

Yeah for the most part metal bars and clubs refuse to move with the times, even though there's lots of amazing new music coming out all the time.

The metal bar in my hometown (where I started drinking at 14) is still playing like Monster Magnet, 80s/90s Metallica, just ancient greybeard poo poo. Late 90s Slipknot would actually be modern compared to another rendition of Hangar 18.

Ah well, I'm glad I was young in an era where heavy music had some kind of cultural salience, and also that I didn't get trapped in an eternal vortex of only listening to that poo poo on repeat

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The World Series does also technically have like one Canadian team play, so it's not entirely the US only.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Another important point about Eurovision, particularly the semi-finals, is that there will usually be 2-5 songs that are somewhere on the GWAR-Rammstein spectrum and go pretty hard

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

There's usually one or two songs from any Eurovision that are legit good, but I can appreciate why some people don't want to sit through a bunch of croony poo poo or the We're Dressed As Clowns Isn't That Unique entry.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
What if it was the clown from Terrifier

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Please shoot me in the head when I am put in against the wall for the following:

Currently drinking a pot of loose leaf tea. I normally have Earl Grey teabags but my mam found this stuff in a cupboard after they were given it by a friend. It's a very pleasant green tea so I decided to look it up: Mariage Frères Gyokuro Kansai. I am drinking €60/100g tea. I'm not sure I've ever consumed anything this expensive per gram and I guess I won't be buying a 2nd bag of this

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
how much does tea cost per gram normally? how does that stack up against a can of red bull or whatever?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

.... a very pleasant green tea....

Quoted the important bit and thank the friend if possible. :)

It was probably cheaper before Brexit.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

I'm not sure I've ever consumed anything this expensive per gram and I guess I won't be buying a 2nd bag of this

Me to my dealer after the Eurovision party

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

how much does tea cost per gram normally? how does that stack up against a can of red bull or whatever?

That's like 50x a regular builders tea.

Red Bull is not a tea so I'm not sure what axis you'd be comparing them on

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Well a can of Red Bull is about £2.50 for a 490ml can and as it is mostly water you can assume it's about 1g/1ml. A box of 200g of Earl Grey (or 100 teabags) is £4 in Asda.

So it's a bit more expensive.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Me to my dealer after the Eurovision party

That's a good point, I hadn't really thought of them like drugs, and have no idea of the going rate of cocaine but it's probably closer to the ballpark of coke than what I normally drink. Which is fun, it tastes nicer with the added guilt that this is boojy as gently caress.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 9, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Nothing wrong with expensive stuff as long as all those who helped produce it were fairly compensated.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

Nothing wrong with expensive stuff as long as all those who helped produce it were fairly compensated.

Morally, probably not (though buying it while people literally go hungry in this country seems dubious to me), but it's just massively alien to me. This tiny bag could probably cover my weekly shop for 3 weeks. The dole is what, £80ish a week? It's just weird and I had to say something.

Needless to say this isn't even remotely the most expensive tea on their website, there's a Darjeeling I can see at €230/100g and I'm howling at the wealthy and their ability to dispose of money.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

Please shoot me in the head when I am put in against the wall for the following:

Currently drinking a pot of loose leaf tea. I normally have Earl Grey teabags but my mam found this stuff in a cupboard after they were given it by a friend. It's a very pleasant green tea so I decided to look it up: Mariage Frères Gyokuro Kansai. I am drinking €60/100g tea. I'm not sure I've ever consumed anything this expensive per gram and I guess I won't be buying a 2nd bag of this

Wait till you get to the tea that comes from some ancient bush in China that's been active production for the last 2 centuries.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

Wait till you get to the tea that comes from some ancient bush in China that's been active production for the last 2 centuries.

Already thought I was a bit flash buying Twinings rather than supermarket brand Earl Grey, I can't even begin to imagine how nuts it gets

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Teas so fancy that the British had to get the entire Chinese empire addicted to opium to maintain a sustainable trade balance

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

That's a good point, I hadn't really thought of them like drugs
Drugs originally meant dried plant matter, back when that was for itinerant herbalists and apothecaries and good honest people would have nothing to do with 'tea', so they pretty much are.

(Tell your children about this scary Oriental-coded threat!)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

forkboy84 posted:

60 euro a gram is pretty standard these days if you aren't getting council.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
In next week's episode:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/may/09/liz-truss-to-visit-taiwan-and-give-speech-that-could-upset-uks-china-strategy

quote:

The former prime minister Liz Truss is to visit Taiwan next week, where she will deliver a speech likely to anger Beijing and potentially upset the UK government’s careful approach to China relations.

Truss said on Tuesday: “Taiwan is a beacon of freedom and democracy. I’m looking forward to showing solidarity with the Taiwanese people in person in the face of increasingly aggressive behaviour and rhetoric from the regime in Beijing.”

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I enjoy dogging

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
How will we have dogging once the globalist agenda makes cars obsolete? How will honest Britons gently caress on top of an electric bike?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Riding my ebike to the local Toby carvery for a roast, pint, and a reckless anonymous shag in the toilets.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesla was right posted:

How will we have dogging once the globalist agenda makes cars obsolete? How will honest Britons gently caress on top of an electric bike?

You could probably have a designated dogging bendy-bus

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

If it makes you feel any better the cheap as poo poo green tea is just as good.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Liz Truss starting WW3 back on the menu 'rades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
I have a good feeling about our eurovision entry this year