Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ethanol posted:

Nikita Mazepin is available

If his court case doesn’t work his dad is trying to launder money through someone else to start up an 11th team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Brad Pitt is a Mazepin pay driver??

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Elendil004 posted:

You should get DRS activations based on your spot in the constructors series with only like 1 for the leaders and like a dozen for Williams.

I support this splendid idea and shall email the FIA about it personally.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Lucasar posted:

If when Alonso wins a race this year, that will set a record for the longest interval between consecutive wins that would last forever.

Who is it now?

Best I think of is Piquet who didn't win between 87 and 91.

EDIT : Alonso probably already has the one for podiums, 2014-2021

Dudley fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 9, 2023

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Wasn't there some kinda shady poo poo going on where the British company behind Hitech Racing was actually just Mazepin's egghead dad?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Dudley posted:

Who is it now?

Best I think of is Piquet who didn't win between 87 and 91.

EDIT : Alonso probably already has the one for podiums, 2014-2021

How long did Raikkonnen go between race wins? I'm thinking Abu Dhabi 13 and Austin 18 which given they were both towards the end of the season a shade under 5 years.

e: poo poo, Riccardo Patrese at 6 and a half years. If you were to go on race events though I imagine it would be Raikkonen by virtue of the seasons having far more GP weekends now.

https://www.lightsoutblog.com/2023/03/16/the-longest-gaps-between-formula-1-wins/

Theophany fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 9, 2023

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

refleks posted:

Wasn't there some kinda shady poo poo going on where the British company behind Hitech Racing was actually just Mazepin's egghead dad?

Yep, and they’ve raised the possibility of making an F1 entry and becoming an 11th team.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Absolutely determined to embarrass his son on the world stage, no matter the cost

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

ilmucche posted:

Absolutely determined to embarrass his son on the world stage, no matter the cost

Yeah but enough about Jos

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Charles Leclerc posted:

How long did Raikkonnen go between race wins? I'm thinking Abu Dhabi 13 and Austin 18 which given they were both towards the end of the season a shade under 5 years.

e: poo poo, Riccardo Patrese at 6 and a half years. If you were to go on race events though I imagine it would be Raikkonen by virtue of the seasons having far more GP weekends now.

https://www.lightsoutblog.com/2023/03/16/the-longest-gaps-between-formula-1-wins/

I can only hear “Patrese” in a Very Murray Walker Voice. But yeah that tracks.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

refleks posted:

There is no possibility that the FIA would embrace such a scheme just to have more money funneled into the sport. They are the very definition of transparency and only do things that are for the greater good of Formula 1 and the fans. #moralcompass

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Pirate Radar posted:

Yep, and they’ve raised the possibility of making an F1 entry and becoming an 11th team.

And they will be allowed to over Andretti

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Khablam posted:

Well I'm just a simple fella myself, but I still believe F1 is the finest sport in the land. Now, some folks might think that F1 is all about fancy gadgets and DRS gimmicks, but I'm here to tell you that ain't so. No sirree, F1 is a fair and square competition, where every team has the same rights and opportunities when it comes to car design. They can do things like add sidepods to their vehicles, which are mighty useful for cooling and aerodynamics, instead of chasing wildly stupid concepts like no sidepods or a spine crusher. Those things belong in the circus, not on the racetrack. Car desisn is a gentleman's sport, where skill and strategy matter more than flashy tricks.

Ugh, gently caress libertarians.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

FIA needs to cut out the bs and just hire Newey

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

SocksAndSandals posted:

FIA needs to cut out the bs and just hire Newey

I actually like this suggestion.

Have him write the aero rules, but he has to ban all his crazy ideas that work.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...khR1swG7Jz.html

Piastri had a car issue apparently

quote:

“We had some kind of major failure about six or seven laps in on the brake by wire, and energy recovery, something like that, so I was managing a lot of issues after that," he revealed after the race. "I had a really good Lap 1, which was the highlight of the weekend, but yeah frustrating afternoon, trying to drive round the issues.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

McLaren should consider building things better

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Thanks Ants posted:

McLaren should consider building things better

:hmmyes:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Every time people talk about RBRs current dominance I'm reminded that McLaren had both Newey and Honda in their pocket at one point in time, but couldn't stop mismanaging their way to the back of the grid.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

He left McLaren in 2005, the cars he designed for them won two WDCs and a WCC.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Khablam posted:

Every time people talk about RBRs current dominance I'm reminded that McLaren had both Newey and Honda in their pocket at one point in time, but couldn't stop mismanaging their way to the back of the grid.

that's because they weren't cheating

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

We’re also “only” in year 2 of the current RB dominance, after 8 consecutive Mercedes WCCs

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
In the shower this morning I got an idea for a sprint race weekend format. God my life is boring. Anyway, here, pick it apart.

Basically it's just replacing FP2 on Friday with a sprint. 1/3 distance, partial points as of now, whatever the sprint currently is. There's no qualifying for the sprint. Grid order is set by the official finishing order of the previous GP. Any grid or time penalties carried over from the previous GP will apply to the GP on Sunday, not the sprint.

Saturday and Sunday would be the same. Practice session before qualifying, and then GP on Sunday.

Was thinking it could give midfield teams more opportunities to score points in the sprint if faster cars DNF the previous GP. After typing it out though, maybe it would just widen the gap to the midfield.

e:

Personal Lucubrant fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 9, 2023

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Thanks Ants posted:

He left McLaren in 2005, the cars he designed for them won two WDCs and a WCC.

ron dennis wanted to have newey take over all of mclaren when he retired but newey said he wouldn’t stick around forever without a timeline

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Dictator. posted:

We’re also “only” in year 2 of the current RB dominance, after 8 consecutive Mercedes WCCs

TBF we had 4 consecutive years of Red Bull WCCs before that. So 2 constructors have won the last 14 WCCs. 4 drivers have won the last 14 WDCs, and one of them only won once.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Personal Lucubrant posted:

In the shower this morning I got an idea for a sprint race weekend format. God my life is boring. Anyway, here, pick it apart.

Basically it's just replacing FP2 on Friday with a sprint. 1/3 distance, partial points as of now, whatever the sprint currently is. There's no qualifying for the sprint. Grid order is set by the official finishing order of the previous GP. Any grid or time penalties carried over from the previous GP will apply to the GP on Sunday, not the sprint.

Saturday and Sunday would be the same. Practice session before qualifying, and then GP on Sunday.

Was thinking it could give midfield teams more opportunities to score points in the sprint if faster cars DNF the previous GP. After typing it out though, maybe it would just widen the gap to the midfield.

e:

Keep the Sprint format exactly the way it is but make them race in F2 cars. Everyone wins.

The teams doesn't have to risk a car before the actual GP, FOM gets a race event that is fundamentally different to entice more fans on the Friday and Saturday events, and we get to see actual racing between drivers.

This of course makes far too much sense, so it'll never happen.

the milk machine posted:

ron dennis wanted to have newey take over all of mclaren when he retired but newey said he wouldn’t stick around forever without a timeline

Horner gave him the chance to basically run the parts of RBR as he wanted. He built the engineering dept from the ground up, and they constantly let him go off and pursue side projects when he wanted to

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

Keep the Sprint format exactly the way it is but make them race in F2 cars. Everyone wins.

The teams doesn't have to risk a car before the actual GP, FOM gets a race event that is fundamentally different to entice more fans on the Friday and Saturday events, and we get to see actual racing between drivers.

alonso is maybe the only driver that would agree to that

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

MustardFacial posted:

all sprint races are in karts, drivers have a finite supply of shells and banana peels they can use in lieu of DRS

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

ArmZ posted:

alonso is maybe the only driver that would agree to that

I'm sure a bunch of drivers would agree to it. All of the drivers past 10th place have nothing to lose and this might be their best chance to get points.

The only one I would imagine saying no outright is probably Lewis. But put Ricciardo in his place.

Jon Carbuncle
Sep 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
All sprints should be reverse grid in reverse direction while driving in reverse.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
!og ew yawa dna tuo sthgil

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
All sprints should be run on the driver's most clapped out tyres from the previous weekend. Sprinklers at every corner. Double points to all drivers not in a car run by a fizzy drinks company.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

MustardFacial posted:

I'm sure a bunch of drivers would agree to it. All of the drivers past 10th place have nothing to lose and this might be their best chance to get points.

The only one I would imagine saying no outright is probably Lewis. But put Ricciardo in his place.
Would you make it so that those points only count towards the driver's championship?

I'd love to see some Lando/Max wheel to wheel

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Everyone qualifies in an Indy car. Then there is a draft where the drivers choose which manufacturers car they want to drive. The order is chosen based on the Indy car quali

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It should be a sprint race to see how fast we can shitcan sprint races.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

I just watched a YouTube video of Logan Sargeant where he lists his ten essential items, one of them is a DVD copy of Wolf of Wall Street. That just confirms every negative suspicion I've had about him as a person lol

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wolf of Wallstreet owns wtf is wrong with you?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

tony quidtana posted:

Wolf of Wallstreet owns wtf is wrong with you?

Just like people also think that Henry Hill and Ace Rothstein are the good guys there's a brand of weirdo who's all for Jordan Belfort

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
I assume the op was mad about it being on DVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ohh so you're like my mom where if the lead of the movie is not morally good then its a bad film, the highest level of art criticism lmao