Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
i recently discovered cooking rice in the microwave. never going back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

hey im gonna read this interesting piece on liberal british newspaper the guardian about how a developing nation with natural gas reserves emits as much as the UK. I wont bother checking if their sources actually support that, I'll just assume that's accurate. turkmenistan sure is stupid for not being as developed as western nations. im gonna post this in the climate thread. im informed.

loving moron

For the record, that liberal British newspaper has excellent climate reporting and frequently roasts Western nations for their abysmal failures, often in ways that will embarrass them.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
yes that is how the private propaganda of western liberal democracies works. people don't go around sharing the many similar "excellent climate reporting" roasting western nations in this thread or elsewhere but the one about turkmenistan's primitive gas and oil fields matching the UK (statement, not really supported by the academic article they cited) output (for a short period). it's pretty loving obvious which articles get interest and stick with people and which articles get mentally shuffled away as "already know this".

also the guardian just straight up does not have excellent climate reporting. it has no excellent reporting at all. you have been tricked

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

yes that is how the private propaganda of western liberal democracies works. people don't go around sharing the many similar "excellent climate reporting" roasting western nations in this thread or elsewhere but the one about turkmenistan's primitive gas and oil fields matching the UK (statement, not really supported by the academic article they cited) output (for a short period). it's pretty loving obvious which articles get interest and stick with people and which articles get mentally shuffled away as "already know this".

also the guardian just straight up does not have excellent climate reporting. it has no excellent reporting at all. you have been tricked

:ok:

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

silicone thrills posted:

For the doomer thread it certainly brings me great joy and laughter.

Local poo poo: miners lettuce is super delicious and healthy and a native plant to my area so about 2 years ago I went loving wild seeding the hell out of some areas I'd done ivy remediation in and now there's miners lettuce all over.

Also planted a bunch of red flower currents and salmon berry in the same area to help create a cohesive understory that can feed wildlife and just be cool.

It's not much in the grand scheme of things but it's a net good and brings me and others joy.
:unsmith: you're doing great things

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
I don’t see how this thread is depressing. people are always laughing constantly

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Cuttlefush posted:

I see you have meet Thorn (an actual extreme right conservative who wants to genocide china) and slow news day (also wants to genocide asia).

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 12:26 on May 9, 2023

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I assume miners lettuce is weed?

Kal
Jun 3, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

No academic article was cited though?

quote:

The data produced by Kayrros for the Guardian found that the western fossil fuel field in Turkmenistan, on the Caspian coast, leaked 2.6m tonnes of methane in 2022. The eastern field emitted 1.8m tonnes. Together, the two fields released emissions equivalent to 366m tonnes of CO2, more than the UK’s annual emissions, which are the 17th-biggest in the world.

Or do you mean to say that 4.4m tons methane/yr doesn't cause more heating than 366m tons co2/yr?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Mr Hootington posted:

I see you have meet Thorn (an actual extreme right conservative who wants to genocide china) and slow news day (also wants to genocide china).

oh I knew thorn, but i recognize slow news day now. lol

Kal posted:

No academic article was cited though?

Or do you mean to say that 4.4m tons methane/yr doesn't cause more heating than 366m tons co2/yr?

yes, this was
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acs.est.1c04873

"data produced by kayrros for the guardian" is where the 4.4m tons of methane per year comes from. kayrros is a private data analytics firm and you're supposed to just trust them on this one. the satellite kayrros uses, sentinel-1, cannot just spit out good estimates of methane emissions like that. you can fudge a number but it's not as easy or clear as they make it sound. if you look at the paper above you'll see they give 'up to' hourly rates because all of the methane plumes are transient and you just cannot get them all with sentinel-1 data, and what you do get needs to be ground truthed. if you go hunting for papers of scientists making estimates of emissions with sentinel-1 data you wont really find any because it's frought. Kayrros has been doing this for ages. they're a mostly bullshit generating tech company.

seriously read that paper and see how they quantify the amount of methane released per plume and the time variability. then go look at https://www.kayrros.com and their advertising pitch. one of them is legitimate. the other is a company making $$.

look at https://www.kayrros.com/industries-commodity-and-carbon-trading/. "Leverage the advantage of actionable information to trade commodities and carbon allowances at the right price and the right time". come on

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Gravid Topiary posted:

now this thread has de-radicalized me into making some rice in my $20 piece-of-poo poo rice-cooker, you have saved many lives this evening Wheeee namaste

it's really just a different kind of radicalization when you think about it

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Microplastics posted:

Huh so there is. Here's the link in case anyone wants to defend the thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4031532&pagenumber=1&perpage=40
I'm doing my part. *Crushes roach*

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

free wheeee. legalize goatse

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Cuttlefush posted:

oh I knew thorn, but i recognize slow news day now. lol

yes, this was
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acs.est.1c04873

"data produced by kayrros for the guardian" is where the 4.4m tons of methane per year comes from. kayrros is a private data analytics firm and you're supposed to just trust them on this one. the satellite kayrros uses, sentinel-1, cannot just spit out good estimates of methane emissions like that. you can fudge a number but it's not as easy or clear as they make it sound. if you look at the paper above you'll see they give 'up to' hourly rates because all of the methane plumes are transient and you just cannot get them all with sentinel-1 data, and what you do get needs to be ground truthed. if you go hunting for papers of scientists making estimates of emissions with sentinel-1 data you wont really find any because it's frought. Kayrros has been doing this for ages. they're a mostly bullshit generating tech company.

seriously read that paper and see how they quantify the amount of methane released per plume and the time variability. then go look at https://www.kayrros.com and their advertising pitch. one of them is legitimate. the other is a company making $$.

look at https://www.kayrros.com/industries-commodity-and-carbon-trading/. "Leverage the advantage of actionable information to trade commodities and carbon allowances at the right price and the right time". come on

Why didn't you just say this in the first place instead of being a ranting rear end in a top hat?

This is actually helpful for people like me, an idiot (but not an american)

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Look sure we might be destroying the future of the planet for profit, but have you seen how upsetting the thread that covers the topic is? It's bumming me out! I don't want my forum associated with such unpleasant vibes. No, of course I dont read the thread.

Lol

Most people in the real world and in other internet spaces are happy to cope their way through any climate discussion, or outright deny the problem. It's awful gaslighting of those who care and try to inform themselves. This thread is absolutely healthy in that it's a place you won't only face the infuriating delusion so many willingly adopt.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

BRJurgis posted:

Look sure we might be destroying the future of the planet for profit, but have you seen how upsetting the thread that covers the topic is? It's bumming me out! I don't want my forum associated with such unpleasant vibes. No, of course I dont read the thread.

Lol

Most people in the real world and in other internet spaces are happy to cope their way through any climate discussion, or outright deny the problem. It's awful gaslighting of those who care and try to inform themselves. This thread is absolutely healthy in that it's a place you won't only face the infuriating delusion so many willingly adopt.

you should defend the threads honor in SAD. be sure to post just like that so everyone can see its a normal thread

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

ELTON JOHN posted:

i recently discovered cooking rice in the microwave. never going back

how does this not result in, best case scenario, a super-dense brick of rice

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 66 days!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Why didn't you just say this in the first place instead of being a ranting rear end in a top hat?

he was being considerate of the thread's culture

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
oh my goddd

FINE

like the pashtuns, we are obliged to be hospitable to all visitors SO

i'll put out the tea and biscuits. you're all welcome in for a chat.

no please, stay a while.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

my climate positivity of the day: there are birds in my back yard chirping, and it’s nice and cooler than normal. things aren’t that bad, yet :unsmith:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

This is actually helpful for people like me, an idiot (but not an american)

why are people uncritically reading articles from the guardian in the first place? if you read that article and don't have the sense to look at where they got that number and then to go to that company's site and recognize it as a bunch of bullshit, i dunno. a climate change thread on a 'leftist' subforum should not struggle with this kind of thing. if you've been reading this thread for a while and you're not able to smell bullshit like maybe consider the fact that this thread is not actually a good resource.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

you should defend the threads honor in SAD. be sure to post just like that so everyone can see its a normal thread

I did. But not because you asked me to!

We have to find and gas whatever thread is producing freaks like you I am worried for the mental health of these forums!!!!

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

What kind of idiot would want to shut down the worlds largest cringe capture project and let it all vent directly to atmosphere instead

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 66 days!

r u ready to WALK posted:

What kind of idiot would want to shut down the worlds largest cringe capture project and let it all vent directly to atmosphere instead

me

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 66 days!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

you'll pry my soaked rice cooked in a pot from my wet bulb hands

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

im sure we can come to a resolution for the people who dont want harsh vibes leaking to other forums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJNK4VKeoBM

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

yes, it's the other people who are not normal :)

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

This thread radicalized me. Just a few pages in and I was slamming mountain dew while launching a sicknasty skateboard trick off a massive ramp. In midair I high five an anthropomorphic shark wearing shades, just before he starts wailing on an electric guitar. I land and turn towards a group of cheering young people "Don't forget kids, stay in school - things aren't even that bad yet!"

"Remember, it'll never be more profitable to stop destroying the world."

"Now we know!"

"And knowing is half the battle!"

BRJurgis has issued a correction as of 14:24 on May 9, 2023

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

like climate change, the fate of this thread is entirely out of our hands

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

biceps crimes posted:

my climate positivity of the day: there are birds in my back yard chirping, and it’s nice and cooler than normal. things aren’t that bad, yet :unsmith:
the mysterious little birds in the orchard always delight me. the ravens and magpies i can communicate with and kind of read their expressions, but the tiny songbirds just flit around on their own strange business. occasionally one will make eye contact with me and it's a special moment

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I had concern with how we would end the unlimited venting of methane from the oil and gas industry but then I voted and feel much better.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

a strange fowl posted:

the mysterious little birds in the orchard always delight me. the ravens and magpies i can communicate with and kind of read their expressions, but the tiny songbirds just flit around on their own strange business. occasionally one will make eye contact with me and it's a special moment

Today while on the bus to work i saw a crow murder a pigeon.

I don't know what the pigeon did.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dystopia Barbarian posted:

I'm doing my part.

We finally got a Seraph, maybe it really is over for the thread...

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Microplastics posted:

Today while on the bus to work i saw a crow murder a pigeon.

I don't know what the pigeon did.
shouted in the subway probably

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I was out today and listening to lapwings calling and watching them flip in the sky

seriously, just listen to these adorable goofballs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt83JPcWcHg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The people living ultra-low-carbon lifestyles (BBC Future)
To tackle climate change, many of us need to cut our carbon footprints. But what do truly low-carbon lifestyles look like – and can they really be achieved by personal choice alone?

quote:

A report in 2021 from Oxfam found that by 2030 the global average emissions need to sit at just 2.3 tonnes of CO2 per year [per person] to keep global warming below 1.5C (the report didn't cover other greenhouse gases), down from 4.6 tonnes on average globally today.

[...]

Another report from the Hot and Cool Institute, a Berlin-based think tank, estimated that by 2040, per capita lifestyle emissions need to be 1.4 tonnes of CO2e and by 2050, just 0.7 tonnes CO2e.

quote:

[...] Such struggles highlight the systemic nature at the heart of the climate problem: it's very hard to live on little carbon if the products, society and infrastructure around you are all high-emitting. In fact, few argue people should be getting to these kinds of levels with individual action alone: much of the products, infrastructure, systems and political decisions which affect all our lives also need to change to reduce emissions.

While trying to live on two tonnes of carbon, Mainprize found herself confronted with several examples of this. She lacked power over the insulation in her home, which she rents, and there was no requirement for her landlord to install this. She was also reliant on a car for work and found buying an electric car too expensive.

quote:

"[We need] both individual and systems change," says Akenji: government policy, societal preferences and consumer behaviour can all influence each other.

quote:

In her efforts to live on one tonne of carbon in today's world, Readhead found herself seeking out what she calls "carbon freebies": carbon-free activities that she loved to do.

"You can meditate, be in nature, just stop doing things and absorb the world, smell flowers, go foraging, art, walking, cycling, gardening," she says. "Listening or playing acoustic music, singing, dancing, all the things we did as kids: these are things that we had a great love of."

She found that memories of a life before phones and computers started to come back to her. "Just sitting around with friends chatting," she says. "Just having a lark."

quote:

And did Mainprize and Readhead meet their respective goals? In the end, Mainprize accidentally lost the spreadsheet she was using to track her carbon around month seven (ed: lmao), but up until then thinks she was "just under the monthly average of the total where I should be".