Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Alright, I've got a few thousand food, plants, and etc in stash, but for some reason I just cannot brew anything. I've plenty of barrels and pots, so I'm not sure what's going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The Demilich posted:

Alright, I've got a few thousand food, plants, and etc in stash, but for some reason I just cannot brew anything. I've plenty of barrels and pots, so I'm not sure what's going on?

you sure the Food has been marked for brewing?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What’s the alert when your brew job gets canceled?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Have you accidentally set the brewery to take from a specific stockpile? If so it may well be ignoring 99% of everything you have available to brew because it's not in some prechosen stockpile- you may have even misclicked- alternatively it may be that you've got it set so that it can get food from the stockpile but now it is excluding all the furniture stockpiles that have barrels in them because you didn't set those on the workshop's list of available stockpiles..

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
What are you growing? Not everything can be brewed, and there are different jobs for brew from plant and brew from fruit so you might be using the wrong one. Also, in the kitchen menu some plants may be marked not for brewing.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Some plants also process into stuff (like flour or dye), depending on the plant so having some mills might reduce the stockpile.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Welp, went from 140 population to 12, then to 30 as I got an immediate migration. Thanks Forgotten Beast!

For the brewing, I've been using this setup listed under dining areas, leading to 3x stockpiles.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Do folks have stockpile / workshop layout suggestions + work orders they'd recommend?

I've been experimenting with a pull / kanban style that I like a lot (maintain minimal inventory, build on demand), especially coupled with dfhack's buildingplan which lets me place items without having to build them first (great for laying out bedrooms). dfhack's blueprint and quickfort is great for saving and reusing layouts, including digging and what goes where. (e.g. So I just need to create one bedroom / office properly layout and then I can copy paste it to repeat, then save that whole thing as a blue print).

Still wrapping my head how to optimally layout and organize the "core" of my fort -- came across the amazing dreamfort, but it isn't updated for the steam version -- and I don't have a good sense of the "production chains" yet or what I need. explored dfhack's import orders library but I want to better understand what gets made (and importantly, not make too much stuff)

really loving the steam version -- it's made this game far more accessible than it used to be, and the emergent gameplay / storygen is incredible --

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

These are my go-to work orders every time:
- build beds, tables, chairs, cabinets, coffers, coffins, etc. when they fall under a certain amount, so that I always have some for placing down new rooms.
- create new clothing every season
- brew drinks if they fall under a certain amount
- create specific pieces that are needed for moods, like cut gems, blocks, leather, just to have a few on hand
- melt metal object, as often as possible

I wish there was a way to say "don't report any issues if this work order's jobs cannot be completed", they absolutely flood my notifications.
I also wish you could have a stockpile auto-designate any meltable items put into it for melting.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

alcaras posted:

Do folks have stockpile / workshop layout suggestions + work orders they'd recommend?

I've been experimenting with a pull / kanban style that I like a lot (maintain minimal inventory, build on demand), especially coupled with dfhack's buildingplan which lets me place items without having to build them first (great for laying out bedrooms). dfhack's blueprint and quickfort is great for saving and reusing layouts, including digging and what goes where. (e.g. So I just need to create one bedroom / office properly layout and then I can copy paste it to repeat, then save that whole thing as a blue print).

Still wrapping my head how to optimally layout and organize the "core" of my fort -- came across the amazing dreamfort, but it isn't updated for the steam version -- and I don't have a good sense of the "production chains" yet or what I need. explored dfhack's import orders library but I want to better understand what gets made (and importantly, not make too much stuff)

really loving the steam version -- it's made this game far more accessible than it used to be, and the emergent gameplay / storygen is incredible --

I posted the "first draft" version of my fort a few pages back, you can see an approximate layout there:

https://imgur.com/gallery/GfJACTN

Basically everything's around a central staircase, but the workshop level also has lots of individual stairs up to BIG stockpiles for raw materials directly above.

I'll post the "second draft" version of this soon; I've gotten to the point now where I'm using quantum stockpiles and minecarts and so forth now. Still a LOT of room for optimization though but the basic idea works well; make sure your stockpiles are above or below your workshops with stairs nearby for optimal workflow.

edit: DOH in those screenshots i hadn't cut the workshop steps yet. Basically each little four-way shop intersection, there's four extra nodes, those get carved into stairs up. I'll post later tonight.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 8, 2023

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I posted the "first draft" version of my fort a few pages back, you can see an approximate layout there:

https://imgur.com/gallery/GfJACTN

Basically everything's around a central staircase, but the workshop level also has lots of individual stairs up to BIG stockpiles for raw materials directly above.

I'll post the "second draft" version of this soon; I've gotten to the point now where I'm using quantum stockpiles and minecarts and so forth now. Still a LOT of room for optimization though but the basic idea works well; make sure your stockpiles are above or below your workshops with stairs nearby for optimal workflow.

edit: DOH in those screenshots i hadn't cut the workshop steps yet. Basically each little four-way shop intersection, there's four extra nodes, those get carved into stairs up. I'll post later tonight.

whoa, i am blown away by the intricacy of your design -- so pretty -- do you do them by hand or use stuff like df/design or blueprints?

also i see no starter fort -- or was it above ground somewhere? for farming and initial workshops? (i tried carving into stone right away and it's too slow to get everything set up at start)

i'm still trying to wrap my head around dwarven engineering -- got a simple mist generator working in my last fort (before it died to fps death, I think i made too many giant rooms with too many things in it ... and also had a lot of deaths)

next project is to better to understand water power (trying to redirect a river on this new fort that is a more temperate clime so the river doesn't freeze) and then figure out how to bring magma up from the magma sea -- open to any great resources to learn how to do these things

alcaras fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 8, 2023

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Has something changed with non citizen residents lately? A lot of the poets and such that are here to entertain seem to do a lot of hauling and stone smoothing, and I'm nowhere near the two year citizenship thing. Not complaining, just wondering when they became less useless

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Of late, I have been of the opinion that walls are only for blocking access to things and otherwise should be avoided as causing dwarves to have to walk further to do their jobs.

Thus, unless the thing I am building actually requires a zone designation, or needs to keep intruders out of somewhere, I just don't have walls anymore. Workshops? Stockpiles? Farms? All these wonderful things are freed from the claustrophobic embrace of vertical masonry. It also saves on doors.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

alcaras posted:

whoa, i am blown away by the intricacy of your design -- so pretty -- do you do them by hand or use stuff like df/design or blueprints?

Most of those layouts I first programmed into Quickfort like ten years ago, and I still had the .csv files saved. They're mostly modified versions of things I found on the wiki or other places online, very little of it is novel with me. I did find that some patterns "emerged" from other patterns -- e.g., once I put the lava channels below the workshops, I then found the maple leaf rooms sortof emerged from the available space on that z-level, etc.

I didn't bother with a starter fort, no. One "wing" of the fractal was plenty to get started. Dwarves are plenty happy for the first few years regardless.

Pickled Tink posted:

Of late, I have been of the opinion that walls are only for blocking access to things and otherwise should be avoided as causing dwarves to have to walk further to do their jobs.

Thus, unless the thing I am building actually requires a zone designation, or needs to keep intruders out of somewhere, I just don't have walls anymore. Workshops? Stockpiles? Farms? All these wonderful things are freed from the claustrophobic embrace of vertical masonry. It also saves on doors.

This is perfectly valid but, y'know, miasma

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

This is perfectly valid but, y'know, miasma
Why would there be miasma indoors? I put the butchers shops outside with the enclosed surface farms. Any miasma indoors is the mark of a failure to plan properly.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Pickled Tink posted:

Why would there be miasma indoors? I put the butchers shops outside with the enclosed surface farms. Any miasma indoors is the mark of a failure to plan properly.

Right out in the open? Under the sun? In the rain?!?]

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I had a dwarf go berserk from a failed mood once and now I have doors all over my forts. The dwarf managed to get into my dining room and nearly wiped the fort.

Plus poo poo gets in the way of doors closing so I like to have them everywhere to avoid that problem.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Right out in the open? Under the sun? In the rain?!?]
The first rule of a surface farming area is to wall it in and roof it to keep out birds and rain.

I should also note that I have literally chopped down an entire surface forest and used the resulting logs to pave the entire wilderness around the fortress in question. I think I have demonstrated my dwarven disrespect for nature credentials well enough.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
OK, here's a snapshot .gif of my current fort as of the most recent save:

https://imgur.com/gallery/MZ1WUnG

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dwarves also get nice thoughts for walking through a high quality door.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

alcaras posted:

I can flesh this out once I'm back at my actual computer, but this is my food stockpile arrangement.

quote:

* 1 absurdly large stockpile, takes overflow from just about everything else, gives to all stockpiles below.

* 1 workshop stockpile, takes plants and meat/fish/fat from stockpile 1 above.

* 1 farm stockpile, takes seeds in bags only, no barrels.

* 1 tavern stockpile, takes booze and prepared food.

* 1 dye stockpile near the tailor's, only takes dye.

All stockpiles except the farm stockpile have seeds off and barrels on. All stockpiles have eggs forbidden, because I want them to leave the laying hens alone, plus liquid and milled plants because IIRC they have issues with containers.

My stone stockpiles consist of one massive stockpile which feeds a quantum stockpile with a minecart, and another stockpile by the mechanic/mason/stonecrafter workshops set to take from the quantum stockpile.

I generally go in heavy on decorating as a source of wealth, so I have a selective finished goods stockpile on my crafter level, and designate at least one each of forge/jeweler/craftdwarf to only take from that stockpile and their materials. This guarantees that they only decorate the goods I want them to, rather than grabbing mechanisms or w/e.

I also generally have a non-magma kiln/glassmaker near the surface, set to collect materials if they dip too low, and take no other jobs, so my magma workshops don't have to stop for that.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

the active forest fire is a nice touch

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

darthbob88 posted:

My stone stockpiles consist of one massive stockpile which feeds a quantum stockpile with a minecart, and another stockpile by the mechanic/mason/stonecrafter workshops set to take from the quantum stockpile.

I generally go in heavy on decorating as a source of wealth, so I have a selective finished goods stockpile on my crafter level, and designate at least one each of forge/jeweler/craftdwarf to only take from that stockpile and their materials. This guarantees that they only decorate the goods I want them to, rather than grabbing mechanisms or w/e.

A few dumb questions --

QSPs -- I've figured out how to set them up -- I think -- using a minecart stop with no config settings (basically clearing out everything in the green submenu), pointing at where I want it to go, and set to take the same items as are in the stockpile. (It is somewhat annoying to have to configure Source stockpile, QSP Destination stockpile, _and_ minecart with the same settings -- would love some sort of presets or easier way of viewing what goes where).

Things don't always seem to move over though -- sometimes they just sit there in the Source stockpile. Do they only get QSP'd when _added_ to a stockpile? i.e. if the Source stockpile has stuff in it when the QSP starts, that stuff won't move?

Related question around how things move around between stockpiles -- I'm trying to set up encrusting gems on bone crafts (have way too many bonecrafts -- they seem light and thus good to encrust for trade caravans -- though open to ideas as to what to trade -- I mostly ignore the trade caravan's requests of what they need since I'm not going to reconfigure my entire production just to make what they need, though maybe I should if it's something that isn't too hard?) -- I have a bunch of bonecrafts in my original "catch-all" stockpile. I went into finished goods and disabled bone as a material there, and made a new stockpile with just finished goods + good enabled. Yet my dwarves are not moving stuff from the old stockpile to the new stockpile. I guess what I'm asking is -- when do things move between stockpiles and why? Is it just up to a free hauling labor?

And for encrusting, is it okay if items are in bins? Or will the linked workshop not find them if they're in a bin? I have yet to successfully set up an encrusting workflow.

As for raw materials, after you set up your n-floors of fortress necessities (n seems to be 10-15 floors?), do you just strip mine other floors for gems / stone? Take over part of the caverns and farm down there? (Need to figure out how to vertically wall off, I guess I use ramps?) Dive down deep for magma and bring it up (somehow? "via minecart" seems to be the least effortful way of doing it, since a huge pump stack seems like a lot of busywork and is fragile, esp. since you can't easily specify use of magma-proof mechanisms when crafting apart from forbidding everything else).

Fascinated by this game -- the steam version makes it much more accessible, though I find myself wishing for even more UI improvements -- hopefully those are on the way now that they have an additional programmer. Esp. excited for the SDL2 update which looks to have a lot better graphics performance.

--

You should submit this save file to Blindirl's discord -- he's doing a community fortress series on his YouTube channel and it'd be awesome to showcase this before more people since it's so cool!

(As an aside, Blindirl's quick tutorials playlist and your first fortress let's play have been incredibly helpful in learning how to better play the game). Very high information density -- and I say that as someone who usually eschews videos.

alcaras fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 9, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I started my first world with DFHack installed and I have no idea how to use these tools lol there so drat many haha. The manual on the site is still setup for the old one which does not help me since I rely on visuals.

I want to learn to use minecarts and maybe water pumps this fortress, anyone got good tutorials for that?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

MacheteZombie posted:

I started my first world with DFHack installed and I have no idea how to use these tools lol there so drat many haha. The manual on the site is still setup for the old one which does not help me since I rely on visuals.

I want to learn to use minecarts and maybe water pumps this fortress, anyone got good tutorials for that?

DFHack is like just play around with it. You never need it, its for when you want things easier

This tutorial helped me so much with water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rY1T1Fh5ug

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

alcaras posted:

A few dumb questions --

QSPs -- I've figured out how to set them up -- I think -- using a minecart stop with no config settings (basically clearing out everything in the green submenu), pointing at where I want it to go, and set to take the same items as are in the stockpile. (It is somewhat annoying to have to configure Source stockpile, QSP Destination stockpile, _and_ minecart with the same settings -- would love some sort of presets or easier way of viewing what goes where).

Things don't always seem to move over though -- sometimes they just sit there in the Source stockpile. Do they only get QSP'd when _added_ to a stockpile? i.e. if the Source stockpile has stuff in it when the QSP starts, that stuff won't move?
They should get moved over if there's space in the minecart to move them. IDK if the Steam version would have messed with that sort of thing.

quote:

And for encrusting, is it okay if items are in bins? Or will the linked workshop not find them if they're in a bin? I have yet to successfully set up an encrusting workflow.
AFAIK the main issue with bins is that occasionally a hauler will take charge of a bin, so your other dwarves can't use it for anything else until the hauler finishes their task. This can be mitigated by just having multiple bins for your crafter to pick from.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

alcaras posted:

Related question around how things move around between stockpiles -- I'm trying to set up encrusting gems on bone crafts (have way too many bonecrafts -- they seem light and thus good to encrust for trade caravans -- though open to ideas as to what to trade -- I mostly ignore the trade caravan's requests of what they need since I'm not going to reconfigure my entire production just to make what they need, though maybe I should if it's something that isn't too hard?) -- I have a bunch of bonecrafts in my original "catch-all" stockpile. I went into finished goods and disabled bone as a material there, and made a new stockpile with just finished goods + good enabled. Yet my dwarves are not moving stuff from the old stockpile to the new stockpile. I guess what I'm asking is -- when do things move between stockpiles and why? Is it just up to a free hauling labor?

Stockpiles are fairly passive if not explicitly set to give or take. If something was valid for a stockpile when it went in, moving it out when the stockpile definition is updated seems to be pretty low priority.

If it's in a container (especially if it's mixed in with things that are still valid for the stockpile) I don't think it will ever get relocated of its own volition. What you need to do is set your new stockpile to take from the old stockpile. That will make your haulers actually actively root around in the bins for stuff the new stockpile wants. (Setting the old stockpile to give to the new one probably works too.)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Freakazoid_ posted:

the active forest fire is a nice touch

Uhh, I believe you mean “charcoal production at scale”

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pickled Tink posted:

I used to love open concept and then the magma men came. Or the dragon. One dragon ruins your whole day.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

You use them sparingly. If at all. It kinda sucks half the fun out of things if you can just click your fingers and the hard thing becomes easy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I mostly want to use the blueprint tools and some of the autojob stuff.

E: one of my fav things to do in the game is just load up the world, pick a dwarf and auto follow them for awhile and watch their thoughts n actions play out, but it gets interrupted by having to go fix up some jobs

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I use dfhack extensively. It automates all thr fiddly bits so I can plan things out like I like and have a pretty fort where cool stuff happens.

Minecarts are fun but mostly not worth the effort unless you're using quantum stockpiles for pretty organization.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
What is this quantum stockpile business I hear about?

For mine carts I just want to bring magma up to higher levels so my dwarves don't have to walk 100 floors to get to the magma workshops. Maybe make one of those elaborate deathtraps yall have shown off lol.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MacheteZombie posted:

If you *drop* items into a stockpile, from either a minecart or a height, you can pile up endless stuff in a single tile. Great way to clear up all the junk stone in your forts, etc.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Well well well

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

MacheteZombie posted:

https://youtu.be/GCEVegl_VPQ

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

This video has a bunch of inaccuracies. For one, you don't need to kick the minecart to empty it. If a minecart is on a track stop with dump orders, any item placed in it will be immediately dropped to the adjacent tile. It's a little bit less fiddly because you can just delete the three default orders.

Also, the size of the feeder stockpile governs how many workers hunt for resources. Each empty tile in a stockpile spawns a single job for moving items into it. This can be used to limit haulers, but you still usually want the feeder stockpile to be larger than one tile.

(edit:) For moving heavy things like boulders or furniture (but not logs, they are surprisingly light), it's a good idea to add wheelbarrows to the feeder stockpile. When you do that, the size of the feeder pile should be larger than the amount of wheelbarrows assigned to it. If a stockpile is assigned wheelbarrows, instead of spawning one job per empty stockpile tile, it spawns one job per wheelbarrow in the stockpile, but it can only do that if there are also empty tiles in it, and for some reason tiles with empty wheelbarrows don't always count as empty tiles. Stockpiles for light goods should not use wheelbarrows because when there's a wheelbarrow, a dwarf will travel to the stockpile to pick up the tool, go pick up the good and deliver it back to the stockpile. This is potentially much longer than just going straight to the good and returning with it to the stockpile.

Tuna-Fish fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 12, 2023

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Well poo poo. I was wondering why sometimes my cart would get kicked past the stop/output area.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

How many diagnol squares are needed to alleviate built up water pressure?
I dumped a river into an underground reservoir and am just wondering how to safely tap it for some wells that won't overflow that are sitting on top of it by one z level.

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Tuna-Fish posted:

Also, the size of the feeder stockpile governs how many workers hunt for resources. Each empty tile in a stockpile spawns a single job for moving items into it. This can be used to limit haulers, but you still usually want the feeder stockpile to be larger than one tile.

I never knew that! That's great, thank you, this changes my entire logistics chain approach...