Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The war against museum pieces continues, apparently. At this rate could Ukraine just make plywood decoys to draw fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

The war against museum pieces continues, apparently. At this rate could Ukraine just make plywood decoys to draw fire?

Alex Vindeman predicted before this war started that Russia would attempt to destroy Ukrainian monuments as part of their attempt to erase Ukraine as an independent nation.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Icon Of Sin posted:

They've been making a whole bunch of those all along. If you've seen a Russian video of a suicide drone hitting a vehicle, chances are it was a decoy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Murgos posted:

Alex Vindeman predicted before this war started that Russia would attempt to destroy Ukrainian monuments as part of their attempt to erase Ukraine as an independent nation.

Sure, but that's not what's going on here, imo. Remember that in the first days of the war Russian mechanised forces fought an inclusive battle against a monument of a BRDM

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

GD_American posted:

Again, if you believe the threat to LGBT existence (legal identity) in the reddest states in America is equivalent to the threat to their existence (actual continued loving breathing) in Russia, you are massively uninformed.

The original statement to which I responded was about endorsement of regressive views at the government level, which is very much a central feature of every republican state government today, as well as all of their media and their likely candidates for president in 2024. And deprival of gender-affirming care and legally mandated detransition are absolutely threats to continued loving breathing for trans folks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 8, 2023

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Sure, but that's not what's going on here, imo. Remember that in the first days of the war Russian mechanised forces fought an inclusive battle against a monument of a BRDM

Por que no los dos?

The can be both incompetent and evil.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

poverty goat posted:

The original statement to which I responded was about endorsement of regressive views at the government level, which is very much a central feature of every republican state government today, as well as all of their media and their likely candidates for president in 2024. And deprival of gender-affirming care and legally mandated detransition are absolutely threats to continued loving breathing for trans folks.

to clarify, i mean the entire government. the US is composed of both red and blue states. we have meaningful competition between parties, one of which does not hold this viewpoint. although not trivial (because it's expensive and requires leaving existing relationships behind), you have the ability to freely move to somewhere where the government does not persecute you, and is usually expressly supportive of you in tyool 2023

this does not exist in Russia. all political power is de facto fully subordinate to the federal executive and its viewpoints. you can move to a major city where the populace is less likely to be hostile and you can associate with a larger community of peers, but the government is never going to oppose the party line. if the mayor of Moscow decides to say "hey, actually the gays are fine" (as, IIRC, mayors of large cities have done in red states), their political career will promptly end. you furthermore cannot form open civil society organizations to advocate against the government's position. your equivalent option to moving to a blue state is to leave the country, which is way more difficult than moving states

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

poverty goat posted:

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

to clarify, i mean the entire government. the US is composed of both red and blue states. we have meaningful competition between parties, one of which does not hold this viewpoint. although not trivial (because it's expensive and requires leaving existing relationships behind), you have the ability to freely move to somewhere where the government does not persecute you, and is usually expressly supportive of you in tyool 2023

this does not exist in Russia. all political power is de facto fully subordinate to the federal executive and its viewpoints. you can move to a major city where the populace is less likely to be hostile and you can associate with a larger community of peers, but the government is never going to oppose the party line. if the mayor of Moscow decides to say "hey, actually the gays are fine" (as, IIRC, mayors of large cities have done in red states), their political career will promptly end. you furthermore cannot form open civil society organizations to advocate against the government's position. your equivalent option to moving to a blue state is to leave the country, which is way more difficult than moving states

I can tolerate derails but when you're told to move your off-topic conversation nine and ten hours before you post again then I start getting button-pushing grumpy.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Murgos posted:

Do you have a link? This sounds interesting

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GD_American posted:

Again, if you believe the threat to LGBT existence (legal identity) in the reddest states in America is equivalent to the threat to their existence (actual continued loving breathing) in Russia, you are massively uninformed.

The governments of several states ARE exterminating by taking our meds away. We don't just detransition without our hrt, we die.

E: sorry hekk/mcnally, this was too important to let slide. We are absolutely being exterminated in red states, and anyone who claims that the US is performing an internal cleansing against trans folk should have their noses shoved in it regardless of the venue

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 8, 2023

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

RFC2324 posted:

The governments of several states ARE exterminating by taking our meds away. We don't just detransition without our hrt, we die.

E: sorry hekk/mcnally, this was too important to let slide. We are absolutely being exterminated in red states, and anyone who claims that the US is performing an internal cleansing against trans folk should have their noses shoved in it regardless of the venue

It's to the point and it educated me so I'll allow it to be the last word on the subject in this thread.

To be clear, I'm not asking anyone not to talk about this, it's just that we've veered well away from the war in Ukraine to Current Events.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

HonorableTB posted:

Do you have a link? This sounds interesting

I think it was this episode of lawfare podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-lawfare-podcast/id498897343?i=1000516402572

But I could be misremembering and it’s a different episode or was a different podcast.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
To be polite to the out of towners

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4031025

Current Events! Awful aren't they?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Ukraine thread is for Ukraine, good puns, and praising the metric system.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

lightpole posted:

Ukraine thread is for Ukraine, good puns, and praising the metric system.

gently caress metrics, respect the working class. Metric systems are developed by the bourgeoisie. :colbert:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How many Metric using countries have a flag on the Moon?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

One?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

windshipper posted:

gently caress metrics, respect the working class. Metric systems are developed by the bourgeoisie. :colbert:

The other system literally has 'imperial' right there in the name.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Slashrat posted:

The other system literally has 'imperial' right there in the name.
"Measurement" and "arithmetic" are but fabrications of the oppressor, a mindset imposed by the protocapitalist conning the hunter-gatherer and the subsistence farmer into a vain pursuit of "surplus" they can exchange for goods they might produce themselves. It's ironic that Turkey is now spurned by the West, when Çatalhöyük is clearly the progenitor of Western neoliberal perfidy.

Workers! Let fall the tools of the bosses and go forth to fill your pockets with nature's plentiful bounty!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Two (China, India), one that no longer exists (USSR) and two more if you could probes that crashed on entry (Japan, Israel). The UAE and Japan both have landers planned this year.

Moon's gettin' haunted. (grabs shotgun, leaves).

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Cugel the Clever posted:

"Measurement" and "arithmetic" are but fabrications of the oppressor, a mindset imposed by the protocapitalist conning the hunter-gatherer and the subsistence farmer into a vain pursuit of "surplus" they can exchange for goods they might produce themselves. It's ironic that Turkey is now spurned by the West, when Çatalhöyük is clearly the progenitor of Western neoliberal perfidy.

Workers! Let fall the tools of the bosses and go forth to fill your pockets with nature's plentiful bounty!

That's loving stupid. Keep the tools.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Cugel the Clever posted:

Preach it! I went out and I found.
Grass.
And ticks.

I want a burger.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Lum_ posted:

Two (China, India), one that no longer exists (USSR) and two more if you could probes that crashed on entry (Japan, Israel). The UAE and Japan both have landers planned this year.

Moon's gettin' haunted. (grabs shotgun, leaves).

And the US, who formally adopted metric a while ago - though uptake has obviously been spotty.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Computer viking posted:

And the US, who formally adopted metric a while ago - though uptake has obviously been spotty.

it will never stop being funny to me that american engineers have to work in metric then back-convert to imperial for the rest of the backward-rear end country

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

always lol at this one

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
What is a 2x4 in a metric country? Is it still called a 2x4 or something weird?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

lightpole posted:

Soviet name thats still in use is Dyumovka (Incher), 25х150х4000 mm

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 9, 2023

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

lightpole posted:

My people call it KANTHOLZ. I can't write how we pronounce it, because I'm not Australian.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Duzzy Funlop posted:

My people call it KANTHOLZ. I can't write how we pronounce it, because I'm not Australian.

because you KANTHOLZ deez

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

lightpole posted:

If you want to buy the equivalent in Sweden, it'd be a 45x95. Some people might call them "tvåtumfyra" (two-inch-four), but shops generally wouldn't advertise them that way. They are also a lot less common in general, Swedish houses have very different regulations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Looks like 48x98 mm is the most common size near it in Norway - and yeah I've heard my dad speak of it as "to tom fire" and it seems like a somewhat common size; I think there's a fair few meters of it in the decks and stairs he has built.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Computer viking posted:

1866, in fact.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

It's measured in mm - see the results when I search for 2x4 https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=2x4+timber&sort=BoostOrder&page=1

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1655846812723412992

Apparently it was a sadly denuded 9th of May parade, more or less void of tanks, IFV's and APC's and with the entire VDV also conspicuously absent according to reports.

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1655831503882932224

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1655850586867113988

This person did the hard work of counting what exactly showed(and failed to show).

Oliver Alexander posted:

The flyover is expectedly cancelled. As no rehearsals had taken place, this was a guarantee.

Since the invasion the amount of vehicles in the annual parade has plummeted into a pitiful display:
2021: 197
2022: 131
2023: 51

To even get to 51 vehicles, the Russian military had to "borrow" 10 Remdiesel Ahmat Z-STS from Ramzan Kadyrov.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
don't even have air superiority over their own country

shameful

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
If only one of their neighbors had recently acquired a lot of surplus Russian tanks, they could have asked to borrow some for the parade.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Wingnut Ninja posted:

If only one of their neighbors had recently acquired a lot of surplus Russian tanks, they could have asked to borrow some for the parade.

They did! They borrowed 10 MRAPs from Kadyrov.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

it will never stop being funny to me that american engineers have to work in metric then back-convert to imperial for the rest of the backward-rear end country

I will say, when you use freedom units in carpentry or/ and construction, it is intuitive to using your body as a measuring tool (pacing distance, something 1ft away is one of your feet roughly) although I could just as easily intuit into metric or whatever. I don't care what my tape measure reads, so long as it's consistent.

Although I remember being on swim team as a kid and tales of the US converting wholesale to metric were rife. Maybe wishful thinking from watching events in metric from Olympians etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

stackofflapjacks posted:

I will say, when you use freedom units in carpentry or/ and construction, it is intuitive to using your body as a measuring tool (pacing distance, something 1ft away is one of your feet roughly) although I could just as easily intuit into metric or whatever. I don't care what my tape measure reads, so long as it's consistent.

Although I remember being on swim team as a kid and tales of the US converting wholesale to metric were rife. Maybe wishful thinking from watching events in metric from Olympians etc?

You got some big rear end feet