Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The ferocious +40% retaliation and opportunity damage mind trait is actually only 30% once you get into the game :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So how are you guys speccing your heroes? I pretty much give them all the support skills and only really take actual combat poo poo once I run out of buffs to take at level 10 or so. Also, in terms of weapons I usually end up giving them shields and have them stand in the shield wall, though lately I feel since I'm giving them support skills, maybe I should be giving them staves and just having them do warding for a ranged backline if I'm running a culture or build that doesn't get good support units.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

So how are you guys speccing your heroes? I pretty much give them all the support skills and only really take actual combat poo poo once I run out of buffs to take at level 10 or so. Also, in terms of weapons I usually end up giving them shields and have them stand in the shield wall, though lately I feel since I'm giving them support skills, maybe I should be giving them staves and just having them do warding for a ranged backline if I'm running a culture or build that doesn't get good support units.

pure combat, I think having one support hero with your strongest units isn't a bad idea, but I've had great success with all three types of combat heroes (more like four really, shield/charge/range/magic, and magic splits into a mix of support/damage)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah I go all in combat with mine as well, though I prefer to build them out as mages. Having a front-line dude with the fire axe and a mirror shield or something can be devastating late-game though.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I usually start with the obvious support skills (+ defense, + damage, +hp, -upkeep), usually ending up with 5-7 points into support. Then I spec into either magic or combat, sometimes based on the signature skills they roll since starting with the support stuff lets me see that before I decide on further specialization. Also if I've managed to pick up any really nice gear that can influence my choices.

I do hope we get a little balancing of the signature skills (and maybe some more added in), though. Right now it feels like only a few are worth taking but I think there's a real opportunity with those to make heroes all feel unique.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Found a weird bug on story island 4:

You get Sundren as a free hero that comes back from the dead. Except that I hired a hero before the game could add her back, so since I would have been over my hero cap, she comes back anyway... under Arachna's control, next to my capital city.

And keeps doing so. With 1 HP.

I guess you could farm her for free XP, but as I was getting curbstomped that game anyway I just called it quits.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
The last skill of the support line lets you refresh a unit's turn as a free action, that's pretty amazing, possibly a bit busted, and definitely my main pick almost every time. I've made some pretty solid combat heroes but I found that mostly dependent on gear, so mostly support first and respec only if I find something amazing.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Autsj posted:

The last skill of the support line lets you refresh a unit's turn as a free action, that's pretty amazing, possibly a bit busted, and definitely my main pick almost every time. I've made some pretty solid combat heroes but I found that mostly dependent on gear, so mostly support first and respec only if I find something amazing.

Ever since I discovered that that skill works on (other) heroes, I've been theorycrafting a Channel Power -> Reset Action move, getting you 2 full shots from Channel power. 2 40+ damage mage blasts for fun and profit.

I usually go Warfare/Magic first though. Like...for example, the degree to which a heavy weapon hero with first strike and killing momentum can dominate a fight is kind of disgusting. Slam into the backlines since they can't stop you when you Sprint, finish off an injured unit, killing momentum to deal 50 damage to another one. The other one is *screwed* because whether they try to run away or hit you back the hero will retaliate first and kill them.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Autsj posted:

Wait, you can respec heroes? How?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Is it just my RNG or do death weapons like The Executioner proc way more than the tooltip says? It seems like it kills Tier I to III's almost every time it hits, even if it says 3% chance

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Guildencrantz posted:

Wait, you can respec heroes? How?

I think every hero gets one free respec, after that you have to pay a lot of imperium points

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.

Flavahbeast posted:

Is it just my RNG or do death weapons like The Executioner proc way more than the tooltip says? It seems like it kills Tier I to III's almost every time it hits, even if it says 3% chance

Maybe it does the death check after the weapon does its own damage?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Autsj posted:

This mirrors my experience so far. Support heroes are universally great even completely naked. Combat heroes can be bonkers powerful, but they tend to be gear reliant, so I just automatically spec all my heroes into support and respec them if I find some juicy stuff.

That said, you can make a pretty useful battle mage even without any decent gear. The evocations are pretty nice when spammed.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

TFW someone else somehow becomes your race's Keeper on Turn 16. What?

Protip Discovered: Wonder Architects works on outposts. You can attach a Wonder to your outposts for free, separately from the Work Camp.

Also, on necromancy chat, I cast an enchant and my skeletons in the enchant turned into cool mystic skeletons. But they are back to normal chainmail skeletons now. I cant tell if the mystic skeletons were a bug or if skeletons are bugged...

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 9, 2023

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

what happened to the unit card for my archers :ohdear:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Protip Discovered: Wonder Architects works on outposts. You can attach a Wonder to your outposts for free, separately from the Work Camp.

Holy poo poo that's good. Wonder Architects is already top tier pick IMO but saving 3 turns on connecting a cleared Wonder and instantly hooking it up to a new city is wild.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

toasterwarrior posted:

Holy poo poo that's good. Wonder Architects is already top tier pick IMO but saving 3 turns on connecting a cleared Wonder and instantly hooking it up to a new city is wild.

Yeah I found this out by accident while doing map 3 and it catapulted my economy super hard since I was also Materium for fast outposts.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

TFW someone else somehow becomes your race's Keeper on Turn 16. What?

I think that's because your people can be in the free cities on a world too, so someone got free cities with your people in? :thunk:

toasterwarrior posted:

Stuff like this is why I occasionally smile at posts on the discord about "<X> is bad and no one uses it because its bad, because its bad." Whoooo boy a lot of misinformed people expecting the meta to already exist. I have to keep gently reminding people to stop trying to turn this into a numbers game. It ain't no MMO.

Not to say there isn't strong and weak choices at the moment, but even those can be influenced by what your world is. All the strong picks about free cities in the world wont matter if they're ain't any or they are all full of hate for you, as I found out. :ohdear:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Is it possible to settle with other races? What if you're the keeper?

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

For my Astral wizard lord, I've been going full magic with one or two support things and he hits like an absolute truck from 5 spaces away. Then I found an orb that makes each of his attacks damage enemies within one hex of the target, so if the enemy clumps up they're hosed. Feels pretty good.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Flavahbeast posted:

what happened to the unit card for my archers :ohdear:

Happened to me as well and I saw it in a stream. Some race enchantment going wrong? I guess it has already been reported.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

I can just type spaces in to my last name field :shrug:

Interesting. Maybe it was changed in a patch or there's some kind of weirdness going on with certain setups/settings.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
I had that weirdness with not being able to use space in the last name space before too, but I just tested it and now I can. I guess there is something specific that triggers that oddity.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
They might have fixed it, but its to prevent ending a surname with a space, so work backwards if it happens again.

E: Thinking about item crafting; the empire resources opening up tiers and sub-specializations might be a fun way to push its value as a trade good even further. Could even allow for future resources to be added and traded for crafting purposes.

You want to make a better sword? Yeah that's just time spent working in the forge (blocking unit production). You want to make a sword that heals when you strike someone? Going to need Archon Blood for that as well as more time in the forge.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:12 on May 9, 2023

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

It feels like most of the time I am not producing any units at all. Thus draft feels like a mostly useless stat. I always get into negative gold due to maintenance costs. I should probably switch from medium to Hard. I did not notice a brutal difficulty in the settings.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
A fun late game hero combo I found was going full wizard focused on materium and astral tomes, picking up the tier V astral tome. There's a mage skill from the materium line that causes you to apply Gilded on crit with magic attacks. No resist, just if you crit, you apply that debuff, which is both a stun and will give a bunch of gold if you kill them. There's another high level mage skill, unlocked by the tier V astral tome, that makes all your magic attacks guaranteed crits. Combine this with some of the unlockable mage aoes and you can lock down entire armies. There's also a couple aoe spell signature skills that are really good with this.

It's very much late game but it's the sort of thing that lets you solo stacks with your hero, and since the Astral Travel spell only teleports your lord and not the army, it lets them operate as a map hopping wrecking ball.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
As someone who bounced off both AoW3 and Planetfall, I've been having loads of fun with AoW4. Totally sucked in. I don't know what changes they've made between the titles, but this one got me hook, line, and sinker.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

I think every hero gets one free respec, after that you have to pay a lot of imperium points

drat I didn't know there was a free respec for the first go. Wish I knew that when I would get heroes that wouldn't pair up well with my armies

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

bobtheconqueror posted:

So, I gotta say the plot after finishing mission 5 makes zero sense.

Sundren, the elf lady who's been helping you fight the Shad'rai, is actually also the cover art lady and de facto leader of the Shad'rai, Lythil Nightweaver. She secretly wants to open the vault on Grexolis to release something to help the Archons fight the Shadow, because the Archons are losing.

So, as Sundren, she directs you to fight the Shad'rai twice as kind of an intro to the setting.
Then as Lythil, directs the player as a Shad'rai agent to get the Gildercoil in mission 3.
Then as Sundren again, has you rescue her elf relative from being ensorcelled in mission 4
Her elf relative then helps the Covenant track the Shad'rai to Grexolis, and in mission 5 you play as a Shad'rai along with the others, including Lythil, to beat up the guy guarding Grexolis AND the Covenant folks that chased after you.

If she was Lythil, she already knew where the Shad'rai were heading, and why they were going there. Why rescue somebody to help the Covenant track them down and proceed to lure them into trying to stop the very thing she was trying to do? I can't quite wrap my head around why she needed to take a bunch of extra steps, likely get a bunch of non-wizard people killed, and conceal her identity in the process.

Seems pretty reasonable to me. She's playing both sides off each other to keep them in check while working towards her true objective.

victrix posted:

pillaging lowering alignment causes really weird issues with pure good ai allies going to war alongside you

after a long campaign they can tank their alignment enough to go into conflict with you from all the pillaging

maybe certain ai archetypes should avoid pillaging?

dunno, just feels awkward

War.. is hell. Really makes u think.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
I don't really get alignment in this game. Are all alignment shifts permanent, or temporary, or are there some of each? I think I saw my alignment become more good after forgiving a grievance against me, is that a thing?

People put Outposts right next to my new cities, and if I don't get to them before they become cities I take alignment hits for razing those cities. Respect my pretty borders! Stay on your own islands!

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Servetus posted:

I don't really get alignment in this game. Are all alignment shifts permanent, or temporary, or are there some of each? I think I saw my alignment become more good after forgiving a grievance against me, is that a thing?

People put Outposts right next to my new cities, and if I don't get to them before they become cities I take alignment hits for razing those cities. Respect my pretty borders! Stay on your own islands!

It's permanent but easy to counteract changes - a few hits in a direction you don't want is fine if you're taking more actions in the other direction.

Anyway I don't get the complaints about mission 5. It's a big long battle to culminate the story, of course it's gonna be hard and take a while. That said I think anyone who doesn't take the free-army every 5 turns boon at the start is handicapping themselves. Get some full stacks and start wiping out opponents before they're built up. Protip: Go northwest first. The free astral summon boon is also extremely good.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/AgeOfWonders4/status/1655937414060478466

:discordemoji:

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Eschatos posted:

Seems pretty reasonable to me. She's playing both sides off each other to keep them in check while working towards her true objective.

Well, I gotta disagree. By aiding the Covenant in tracking the Shad'rai she's sending opposing forces to stop them from opening the gate. Opening the gate is her true objective. She literally sics enemies on herself, risking the gate not being opened.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

bobtheconqueror posted:

Well, I gotta disagree. By aiding the Covenant in tracking the Shad'rai she's sending opposing forces to stop them from opening the gate. Opening the gate is her true objective. She literally sics enemies on herself, risking the gate not being opened.

Probably an effort to avoid the Shad'rai stabbing her in the back if the only problem had been the guardians. A familiar enemy to distract from the prize. But now I'm writing for Triumph so we shall see.

Eschatos posted:

It's permanent but easy to counteract changes - a few hits in a direction you don't want is fine if you're taking more actions in the other direction.

Anyway I don't get the complaints about mission 5. It's a big long battle to culminate the story, of course it's gonna be hard and take a while. That said I think anyone who doesn't take the free-army every 5 turns boon at the start is handicapping themselves. Get some full stacks and start wiping out opponents before they're built up. Protip: Go northwest first. The free astral summon boon is also extremely good.

I did wonder which of them was stronger. Mirrors and Drowned seemed like solid choices but that is units to add to your upkeep. Randomly exploding lands has got to be worth something in setting your enemies back.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Thyrork posted:

I did wonder which of them was stronger. Mirrors and Drowned seemed like solid choices but that is units to add to your upkeep. Randomly exploding lands has got to be worth something in setting your enemies back.

I went with the pyroclastic option first because I figured hitting the economy early would be a better value than stuff like extra units, especially right out of the gate when affording the upkeep would be difficult.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I've totally forgotten the 4th one. :shobon: Setting enemies on fire in-combat right?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The AI is way eager to plop cities right next to you. This guy wont be able to expand in any direction, especially once I burn some imperium to grab the only province he could possibly expand from.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

The horned god requires a god-sized vine to immobilize him

I spent awhile frantically clicking on his abilities to try and work out what terrifying thing he had just done before realising it was one of my own little vines :3:

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Enfys posted:

The horned god requires a god-sized vine to immobilize him

I spent awhile frantically clicking on his abilities to try and work out what terrifying thing he had just done before realising it was one of my own little vines :3:

This reminds me of a small gripe I have:

Inspecting units out of combat is a right-click action. You right-click the unit card to bring up the inspection window.

In combat, inspecting units is a left-click action. You select a unit and left-click the portrait.

I went up until Saturday last week, playing every day, assuming you just couldn't inspect units in combat at all.

why are they different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Leal posted:

The AI is way eager to plop cities right next to you. This guy wont be able to expand in any direction, especially once I burn some imperium to grab the only province he could possibly expand from.

I've worked this quirk into my early game strategy. Pop down outpost to have second city up by turn 10, declare war on aggressive expansion AI. Aim to have second army ready for second hero, send both together. eat him and snowball out of control.

Edit: also wanted to mention that if you take a city and vassalize it and move your armies out of it, another AI that is hostile to that city can swing in and take it from you without it being a hostile action.

Moonshine Rhyme fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 9, 2023