Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

BurningBeard posted:

I haven’t followed the EA saga really, other than eyeballing a couple streams when it first came out there. I bounced off the first game because of the length/grind of it, but this seems far more up my street. Have they mentioned any console release plans down the line?

Last I heard console releases were going to be early next year but they change that stuff all the time so who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Heard it doesn't really work on Steam deck, no controller support OR cloud saves which is very disappointing to hear, hopefully a hotfix happens soon.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
oh nice 3 hours of achievement spam
edit: howling end nerf!
edit: shambler is buffed to high hell

patch notes https://www.darkestdungeon.com/news/darkest-dungeon-ii-1-0-release-patch-notes/

temple fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 8, 2023

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
New final fight is great. Gorgeous visuals of course, but also mechanically interesting and thematically satisfying. I like that the early access boss fights both do and don't prepare you.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'd love to try out the release patch but i cant get seem to get past the "Darkest Dungeon is about making the best out of a bad situation" screen after getting the game out of EA

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Has anyone used the flagellant yet? My first impression is that it's pretty weak and actions that increase stress or reduce health are just awful in my opinion. It's like all of his skills already have the bad relationship outcome in advance and he will just be useless in any long fight like boss battles.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
The whole metaprogression gating character abilities seems to make almost everyone's first impressions come off bad. Same with some of the trinkets opening up whole new ways to play.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

my first game into 1.0 and I actually did finish it on the first run lol. Got like 70ish candles so I was able to unlock all heroes to use for the future and am in the process for a 3rd run now.

My initial impressions are that this is a VASTLY improved game. The relationship system is nothing like the incredibly bad "let me interrupt poo poo every other action and constantly torpedo your Stress levels" poo poo of Early Access--I loved how though it takes a while to boost positive relationships, the rewards for it are great. Furthermore, I love how now the good/bad relationships tie themselves to a specific "cursed" action (mostly the most used ones) which sometimes aren't even that bad to power through. On my first run I had a move each from Grobber and P'doctor as cursed but it wasn't too bad. I liked the bolstered stuff I got through the positive move buffs.

The combos and movesets themselves just feel better overall--a lot of things feed into team synergy, supporting adjacent characters while dishing out bigger and better damage/effects. Heroes like Plague Doc and Man-At-Arms def feel like they can support even better through Stress heals/blocks and stuns. A fully kitted out character will now have some really great options and the additional new "paths" basically are great rewards for choosing specific moves in your set. The new candle system is really great, too--plenty to keep playing for and unlock, and feels like a "modern" roguelike akin to the unlocks for DD1 or Hades. Difference is you now just do combat/travel goals organically as opposed to farming for 3 or 4 different types of resource like in DD1---I actually really prefer just choosing what among all the unlocks to focus on, and you can use Candles for any of them.

One thing I didn't expect was the addition of the Radiant Light, which is kind of like the God Mode stuff in Hades---essentially a guarantee that the game will frantically push you to victory on your next troubling run at the cost of less Candles, and the chance to win is buffed with each loss. I think poo poo like that is absolutely excellent and a great way to prevent massive burnout. Being able to unlock even more hosed up difficulties is neat too.

Overall it's early but I feel like this is such a great baseline for a game I previously thought was an utter loving mess and just grossly unfun with the unlock system, relationship feature, and other annoying things that eventually got upturned with the entire table. The upheaval to everything actually worked and I'm actually really looking forward to the future of this game, it's already feeling tremendously more fun than before.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I didn't play early access and was a bit wary about the big changes from DD1, but so far this looks good. I've yet to make it past two routes in Denial but I'm slowly getting comfortable with the new systems. Most of my deaths have been trying to do the lairs and getting completely destroyed by the bosses. I also ran into the shambler on my first real run and ended up softlocked with just a front row, unable to attack plague doctor and one add who couldn't kill me. It was funny. Glad the "abandon run" option is so generous.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Regy Rusty posted:

I didn't play early access and was a bit wary about the big changes from DD1, but so far this looks good. I've yet to make it past two routes in Denial but I'm slowly getting comfortable with the new systems. Most of my deaths have been trying to do the lairs and getting completely destroyed by the bosses. I also ran into the shambler on my first real run and ended up softlocked with just a front row, unable to attack plague doctor and one add who couldn't kill me. It was funny. Glad the "abandon run" option is so generous.

I have been enjoying it too and especially the past few months. The gameplay is different but it's still very tactical and it hits all the same roguelike points, just in a different way. The graphics are amazing, especially the animation. They did a very good job of turning everything into 3d models while maintaining the same art style and I think it's easy to over look because they do it so well.

As far as Lairs go, they're best avoided until you're prepared. The bosses in this game do not gently caress around! If you don't have enough skills mastered or if your team isn't optimized then you almost certainly die. Even with an ideal team, you'll sometimes get slammed with RNG in the worst way possible.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
One time I had the perfect team with great relationships and trinkets. Everything was going great for 2-3 hours until I came up to the first confessional. In the 3rd round, my plague doctor was sent to deaths door by a crit that was twice her total health and then died to the dot, effectively one shotted.

On another run, I built a team that was optimized for the Cosmic bosses. The team was hot poo poo and on a roll and after the 3rd inn I decided to take on the boss in the tangle. It was an epic battle but I finally won...only to get wrecked by some trash mobs in the next node.

The game is great and I love the token strategies where you can do stuff like stealing tokens from enemies, or stacking a bunch of negative tokens to get a bonus to healing. Some of the trinkets are wild too! You can end up generating 50% armor tokens for the whole team and then automatically convert them to 75% or the trinket that gives you +50% crit when in stealth combined with a trinket that has a 66% chance to put you in stealth at the beginning of every turn.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Somehow my Man At Arms got a quirk that gave him 5hp healing every round, which is insane.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

The number of motherfuckers I've had die at 90% death resistance, goddamn. Not complaining, because :xcom:, but goddamn I am definitely whining. RIP to my MAA with 5 whole goddamn memories, which factoring in drug abuse and age is probably more than I've still got at this point. Goddamn.

Cleared Ambition, who actually seemed like the easiest confession boss so far, currently digging into Cowardice. I'm not an achievement hound, but the achievements are definitely bugged, because I've done quite a few things on this latest run that didn't pop up. Still haven't tried the Flagellant! Think it's pretty cool that he's apparently some kind of blight zombie now. That's character growth, right there.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

Heard it doesn't really work on Steam deck, no controller support OR cloud saves which is very disappointing to hear, hopefully a hotfix happens soon.

Update from Red Hook.

quote:

We wanted to answer a few of the most common questions we’ve been receiving in our forums.

We are happy to report that we are currently working on both gamepad support and Steam Deck support for Darkest Dungeon II. These are both highly requested features. While we don’t have a firm ETA, know that they are both very much in the works.

Steam Cloud Save is also in the works, and we plan to add it in the very near future.

We will be sure to keep you updated on all additions made to the game here!

Thank you.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Stars take a while to die actually.

But my favorite line so far is "War rewards only resignation," especially the delivery, although I'm still trying to decide what that means. It sounds pithy as gently caress, whatever it means. It's a thinker!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
welp, I had to erase my save file to have the game work, there goes that whole progression

edit; oh no, it's the mouse lol the game doesnt register the mouse

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 9, 2023

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
I'm digging the way unlocks work in DD2 - whilst it is a mild pain that abilities are only via shrines, I ADORE the little scenarios and art we get with them.

The new Candles system makes me wonder how feasible it'd be to squish the resources in DD1 to one wildcard resource, and if any balance changes would be needed.

As an aside, the fact it's candles made me wonder if Red Hook snuck in a certain reference to reckonings, and their resistance to being postponed somewhere.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh is there a way to tell if a specific enemy type is one that can go to death's door? A few times I've found myself doing my DD1 thought process of "ok this enemy will die by dots on its next turn so I don't need to worry about it" only to forget that I need to be wary of death's door now.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Popete posted:

Update from Red Hook.

I switched to Proton v 8 or something and that got it to work.

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh is there a way to tell if a specific enemy type is one that can go to death's door? A few times I've found myself doing my DD1 thought process of "ok this enemy will die by dots on its next turn so I don't need to worry about it" only to forget that I need to be wary of death's door now.
All the big size enemies have deaths door I believe. Evangelists, Tangle soldiers, Feotor ladies immolationists, Antiquarian, and a few others also have it.

The safest approach is DoT since dmg+DoT can bring the target to deaths door then finish them off on their turn. Aoe is also useful as well. They buffed Grave Robbers Glint in the Dark which is the only skill I think that can bypass deaths door so it's a good finisher if the target is low on health.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ccubed posted:

The whole metaprogression gating character abilities seems to make almost everyone's first impressions come off bad. Same with some of the trinkets opening up whole new ways to play.

Which is strange to me, because the first time indid a shrine and learned the system I really liked it. Actual story chunks with thematic battles (after the first just a voice over) that unlocks the ability forever is a lot cooler than having to continually rebuy things over and over.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Man people are review bombing the game on Steam it seems. I get the sense it is people butt hurt the game was an epic exclusive in early access.

Had a lot of grognards gotten exactly what they wanted they'd be whining about paying forty bucks for a glorified DLC I guarantee.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Death's door on enemies was and still is controversial but I like it. I think its more entertaining when enemies don't die immediately and you can't theorycraft the most broken builds to trivialize the game. It creates a new kind of utility to in checking DD or overcoming DD rez, which is makes the game more complex (heroes, skills, and items).

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

temple posted:

Death's door on enemies was and still is controversial but I like it. I think its more entertaining when enemies don't die immediately and you can't theorycraft the most broken builds to trivialize the game. It creates a new kind of utility to in checking DD or overcoming DD rez, which is makes the game more complex (heroes, skills, and items).
I absolutely agree. It means there's no such thing as overkill in many situations and allows for different strategies and counter play. Some bosses like Exemplar have a particularly high deathblow resist and it can be helpful to plan around it once you know this. I think it makes close battles more exciting and has the potential to open up new mechanics for enemies that are on deaths door.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Honestly I am mostly impressed I paid like R$ 26 for the game (about five dollars) instead of R$ 127 from buying it on Epic back in the day. Best deal ever.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Panfilo posted:

I absolutely agree. It means there's no such thing as overkill in many situations and allows for different strategies and counter play. Some bosses like Exemplar have a particularly high deathblow resist and it can be helpful to plan around it once you know this. I think it makes close battles more exciting and has the potential to open up new mechanics for enemies that are on deaths door.
And the same skills that can ping tokens off enemies are useful for pinging DD, so there's more use for low damage/good support skills. Like you don't want to finale an enemy with block or dodge tokens so those skills like hand of light are very useful more situations than its low damage and generic buff tokens suggests.

temple fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 9, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yesterday I managed to kill the dreaming general, then fought the Shambler by mistake (I didn't know!) and barely won only to get finished by an unskippable fight right after.

I was almost there dammit.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yesterday I managed to kill the dreaming general, then fought the Shambler by mistake (I didn't know!) and barely won only to get finished by an unskippable fight right after.

I was almost there dammit.

ShuffleFM says that the general won't kill you, its the fight after the general that does.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

temple posted:

ShuffleFM says that the general won't kill you, its the fight after the general that does.

Yeah but if I had known that choice meant fighting the Shambler, I probably would have gotten to the Inn.

What are the upgrades to focus on first, aside from unlocking everybody?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah but if I had known that choice meant fighting the Shambler, I probably would have gotten to the Inn.

Trinkets are nice but aren't needed if you aren't going deep. I like items and inn items because they help at low levels. Items are the action efficiency you need at low levels. Trinkets are tempting but are rare outside of bosses and rare enemies.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56yP-HvV7zs

tldw: unlock new heroes first (grave robber is the most replaceable of the initial 4)
gacha: only splash leftover points here - if you get healing salves from combat items, you're pretty much done with that category

that's just the point-based metaprogression

there's the hero stories that unlock skills that require playing/routing

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Regy Rusty posted:

Death resistance is a stat and you can see it by hovering your mouse over an enemy and then looking at the resistance stats at the bottom of the screen. It's the right most stat that has the red skull icon. Most enemies won't have any death resistance and die right away while others will have 5% resistance and take a dozen hits.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Good priority in my opinion:

Wagon upgrade to get more candles, more armor/wheels, better pickups better capacity

Node upgrades as this can carry you quite a bit over a run.

Unlock new heroes so you can in turn unlock their skills at shrines. Chapter 1,3,and 5 I believe are "freebies" that don't require a little mission to earn though most of the heroes first mission is really easy.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gyoru posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56yP-HvV7zs

tldw: unlock new heroes first (grave robber is the most replaceable of the initial 4)

Did they nerf her? The Grave Robber used to be by far the strongest character in the beta version, with good damage output and the best self-healing.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Chamale posted:

Did they nerf her? The Grave Robber used to be by far the strongest character in the beta version, with good damage output and the best self-healing.
Consensus is that she isn't strong. Her damage is nerfed in 1.0. She's good with the right path. I think she's way better than people say.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RVWinkle posted:

Death resistance is a stat and you can see it by hovering your mouse over an enemy and then looking at the resistance stats at the bottom of the screen. It's the right most stat that has the red skull icon. Most enemies won't have any death resistance and die right away while others will have 5% resistance and take a dozen hits.

Oh I see! I think I didn't quite realize what that stat actually implied.

I really wanna dig into this game over the next couple days before TotK takes over my life.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Panfilo posted:

Good priority in my opinion:

Wagon upgrade to get more candles, more armor/wheels, better pickups better capacity

Node upgrades as this can carry you quite a bit over a run.

Unlock new heroes so you can in turn unlock their skills at shrines. Chapter 1,3,and 5 I believe are "freebies" that don't require a little mission to earn though most of the heroes first mission is really easy.

Also want to unlock at least a few heroes right away because they can randomly join your party if one of your members bite it once you reach an inn.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

temple posted:

Consensus is that she isn't strong. Her damage is nerfed in 1.0. She's good with the right path. I think she's way better than people say.

People probably gonna choose Flagellant for the role of "blight damage/uses corpses" but I found her blight needles really reliable damage, self-reliant with heals, and can put out pretty good damage with the crit on her pick/comboing with knives. I haven't unlocked much of her other skills though.

I still haven't seen Bounty Hunter show up at all, drat.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

People probably gonna choose Flagellant for the role of "blight damage/uses corpses" but I found her blight needles really reliable damage, self-reliant with heals, and can put out pretty good damage with the crit on her pick/comboing with knives. I haven't unlocked much of her other skills though.

I still haven't seen Bounty Hunter show up at all, drat.

huh, did you click his picture? i played for months and never noticed.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

is there a mod or save I can download to unlock all the metaprogression poo poo for the characters? I really don't grind with limited skills/paths again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I don't suppose if I got the game on Epic during early access I could get the Steam version or have a deal on the Steam version, could I? :v: