Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Going by the 'which stage I like best' separation:

Starter: Totodile, Torchic, Turtwig, Piplup, Fennekin, Rowlet, Popplio, Fuecoco, Quaxly
Middle: Wartortle, Charmeleon, Bayleef, Quilava, Grovyle, Pignite, Frogadier, Thwackey, Raboot, Floragato
Final: Swampert, Infernape, Serperior, Samurott, Chesnaught, Incineroar, Inteleon
Can't decide, all stages good: Bulbasaur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I hope that this list (which is factually correct) will settle the debate once and for all.

Rillaboom grows four more grass arms to hug with. Who can resist?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

HopperUK posted:

I support this in general, though honestly Serperior would probably hug *too* well

drat it you beat me to it. But yeah they're a snake just because they got tiny leetle leaf arms don't mean they can't give you a good squeeze.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Mysticblade posted:

Went back to Infinite Fusion to go give it a shot on Modern mode to see how it pans out and well, it was an interesting experience.

Encounter tables are changed to have a lot more modern mons accessible early and as such, we've got a lot more type variety fast. So the early game is definitely more interesting but once we start getting to the 2nd gym, we start seeing weirdly overtuned gym leaders. It's not like, Pokemon Reborn or anything but Gym 2 has a Mantine/Lapras (which has a 500 BST at like, L20) and Gym had a Houndoom/Gallade. By Gym 6, I was seeing actual sets like Steelix/Clefable with Wish/Toxic and Rocky Helmet. You do have the tools to deal with it since you can catch pseudo's in the wild by like, gym 3 but it's a very different feel to Classic which felt closer to an actual Pokemon game. This felt more like a Pokemon romhack.

Probably the moment that made me go "ugh" the most was the E4. Every member of the E4 has one Pokemon that's fused with a legendary. Lorelei had a Milotic/Giratina, Bruno had a Probopass/Groudon, Agatha had a Muk/Ho-Oh, Lance had a Dragonite/Darkrai. Blue of all people had a Empoleon/Torterra/Infernape triple fusion and an Arceus/Luxray on top of his entire team being like 5-10 levels higher than Lance. Mind you, Aegislash/Machamp and Bibarel/Volcarona handled most of his team without too much fuss but still, I'm not big on legendaries.

Since I did one last time and I like talking about my Pokemon, I'll just give a quick summary of my team.
  • Blaziken/Haxorus - Blaziken is in fact a good starter and it stayed on the team since it was good. Fused it with Haxorus since Fire/Dragon sounded like a cool thing to try but it never really did much afterwards and I'd have probably been better leaving it unfused. Giving up fighting STAB for dragon STAB was a bad trade and while it had Dragon Dance, it didn't feel strong enough after one boost and it couldn't find the time for two.
  • Roserade/Gardevoir - Caught a little Budew on Route 1 and it was useful for most of the game. Gardevoir/Roserade was actually one of the two mons I planned on using at the start of the run since it looks cool as hell. Pretty strong in the early/mid and it was my only special attacker for a long time. Grass/Fairy is not as good as a typing as I thought it'd be, Poison was a lot more common than I thought and she was squishy even if she hit very hard.
  • Azumarill/Talonflame - I caught this thing also on route 1. Caught it and thought I might as well use it for a bit but then it ended up rounding my team really well. It's the fastest thing on my thing (my team was not fast at all) and it had Huge Power. It also had Water/Flying STAB which was something I was otherwise lacking so yeah, probably in the top half in the team even if it was caught on a whim.
  • Ursaring/Dusknoir - Caught it on... Route 22. I had 4/6 mons before the first gym, so yeah, that's a testament to modern's mode variety. I wanted to give a Ghost/Normal a shot and honestly, I wasn't terribly impressed with the typing. It's got 3 resists and only one weakness but it doesn't have many resists and the STAB is really shoddy. I didn't know what to do with this so I left will-o-wisp on it, I'd have probably more success with Dusknoir and a more supporty Normal type. Not useless but probably the worst on the team.
  • Aegislash/Machamp - The second mon I planned on using before the run. Just look at it, it's Rubicante! Anyway, it hit very hard before fully evolving but it was a bit suspect, the attacking moves weren't great even if it had access to Swords Dance/Automatize. It was slow and specially frail until the Aegislash half fully evolved at which point it became an unkillable monster. It lost some raw attack but in exchange it has 70/100/130 defences and King's Shield. At the very end, I got No Guard Dynamic Punch as well and it was probably top 2 or top 3 in my team.
  • Bibarel/Volcarona - I was talking about Bibarel with some friends since I noticed it had Simple and wondered if it could abuse that. Someone pointed out that Volcarona had Quiver Dance, the fusion looked decent to me so I gave it a shot as my last slot. It didn't evolve until Victory Road and I couldn't use it until the E4 since I had to fix it's moves up but I'm pretty sure this thing killed half the E4. It's the pretty obvious strongest Pokemon on the team.

Out of curiosity how soon can you get Latias in modern mode? I wanna mix em' with my charizard.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I'd hug them all, like being squished is the worst thing a Pokémon could do

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Scholtz posted:

Where's our Crab starter, Game Freak?

Now there's an idea. Should it be Water as most would expect, or should it be Fire or Grass? Should it be Bug too? Is this how we'll finally get a Bug starter?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Diet Poison posted:

What, that was not my experience at all. I am positive I selected modern mode when I restarted my game but I don't think it actually put me into modern mode; my pokemon selection in Kanto was still probably 90% Kanto mons. Unless you're talking about rematching them after doing Johto? I'm still halfway through Johto; I keep getting distracted and changing my team.

No, I'm definitely talking about the Kanto E4. I found that modern mode had basically no old mons on the first few routes so I think you just played in Classic instead or something.

As for the other person asking about Latias, no idea.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I miss the battle factory

And rotation battles

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

dungeon cousin posted:

Now there's an idea. Should it be Water as most would expect, or should it be Fire or Grass? Should it be Bug too? Is this how we'll finally get a Bug starter?

Starter Pokemon (or at least from Gen 4 and beyond) are usually based on cute animals that would show up in a viral youtube video. Going by this metric would this mean that we'll get a starter Pokemon based on a crab?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Zuzie posted:

Starter Pokemon (or at least from Gen 4 and beyond) are usually based on cute animals that would show up in a viral youtube video. Going by this metric would this mean that we'll get a starter Pokemon based on a crab?

water crab, fire possum, grass badger(?) would be a neat set of starter mons

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
just give me a Raccoon based off some Persona or Jojo character

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

they wouldn’t do a water crab. too obvious. it’s fire crab

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I wish Magcargo had better stats

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

they wouldn’t do a water crab. too obvious. it’s fire crab

The crabgrass pun was right there

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I'll take the bugcrab starter if it's final Evo finally gives us a bug/dragon

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Starter Trio, but all their final evos are part Bug

[Grass sobbing with 2 4x weaknesses]

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I really want them to do a starter trio where fire becomes fire-water, grass becomes grass-fire, and water becomes water-grass. or whatever. you know what I mean. the same trio but reverse ways also.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Grass Moose, Water Capybara, and Fire Llama starters that all evolve into the same pallette-swapped crab.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Been using Appletun a bit more and it's a shame because three 4x resistances is a pretty sweet deal (Water, Grass, Electric) and it's coupled with a Ground resistance... but then it's weird weakness of Bug/Flying/Poison/Fairy along with the 4x ice weakness just kinda makes it a very awkward Pokemon. It also makes it difficult to capitalize on its resistances since chances are anything that runs Water is gonna be using Ice, Ground resistance doesn't help much when it's neutral to Rock/Fighting/Fire, and it isn't immune to status so anything it could wall like Quagsire could just spew Toxic at it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Grass Moose, Water Capybara, and Fire Llama starters that all evolve into the same pallette-swapped crab.

:sickos:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's only realistic since all creatures eventually become crab.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its time for pokemon to introduce ATB

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Scarlet and Violet would be a lot better if they started you on the battle bus every time you booted teh game.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I want them to make NG+ where you can pick any non-legendary/mythical pokemon as your starter, and also other things are different

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Treecko posted:

I miss the battle factory

And rotation battles

Seriously the Dlc looks like it’s going to be the same “we added a few more Pokémon you already own to the dex sitting in a field.” that SwSh had and that really doesn’t interest me. I have literal boxs of Mewtwos and Kanto birds i couldn’t care less about paying money to catch yet more of them. A ton of people would gladly shell out $15 for an actual postgame. You’ve made it easier than ever to make our in-game team viable in serious fights with purchasable bottle caps, uncapping vitamins, egg move moving, and ability capsules/patches. Let us actually use them. Give me a $15~ battle frontier with a
Tower
Factory
Black Tower/White Treehollow style roguelite.
And two or three other things and I’ll be set

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Give us a good Pokemon non-combat minigame, it peaked at Pokeathlon.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ApplesandOranges posted:

Give us a good Pokemon non-combat minigame, it peaked at Pokeathlon.

Or another tactics game. Not mystery dungeon, conquest.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Remember when ORAS dropped and those rear end in a top hat developers just put a tiny model of the Battle Tower in.

I do and I'm still kind of upset.

Violet is fun but I want to do post-game things in a game with no post-game

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I guess the devs aren't interested in pouring time and effort into creating assets that only a fraction of the fanbase will even see and not a majority of it.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I think part 2 of the DLC will have endless postgame battle poo poo for roughly that reason—you spent the time and money to get there, so it’s worth the dev time and money to make it

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I think part 2 of the DLC will have endless postgame battle poo poo for roughly that reason—you spent the time and money to get there, so it’s worth the dev time and money to make it

Blueberry Academy's key art seems to point towards this actually, and this seems like the best place to stick a battle facility

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
S/V having absolutely no postgame is the biggest sin against it. I can't think of any other Pokemon game where I finished up the story and was just done, well, since original Blue and Gold. I guess there was the 4 legendary pokemon behind vaults but you can power that out pretty quick with a guide (or spend a thousand years looking for that one spike you missed lol).
Like, they put in that little tournament thing and then populated it with what, 6 opponents? Unforgivably lazy when they could have added all the gym leaders and the Team Star leaders at minimum. Gimme the option of "everybody is at Lv50" rules and I coulda got a lot of mileage out of that. I'd even prefer it to having to beat 50 trainers in a row.. I completely forgot I'd been trying to do Battle Subway til just now. Slamming up against that wall over and over isn't very fun.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
The Battle facilitys used to suck because breeding and EV training was not intuitive

Now it's so accessible it doesn't make sense to NOT have one

That's a good thing BTW, I spent more time learning how stats worked in gen4 than I actually played the game

Online battles kinda of scratch the itch but I need to re-ev my Tyranitar

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Scizor is so good Bullet Punching so many Flutter Manes

U-Turning on the slug legend feels good

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The Battle Factory was good because it means I don't have to train.

It also had my favourite facility leader, Noland.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I also suspect postgame is the final consideration and given the lack of polish it probably had to be cut as scope was reduced. it might not make player sense but it makes massive amounts of game-dev sense

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I liked the Battle Pyramid and Battle Pike, but Emerald Rogue exists now, so I'm pretty much satisfied on that front.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I loved the battle factory. Isn't there a romhack with just that?

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Gen 3 pokemon contests were the absolute best non-battle side content (pokeathlon a respectable second) and every day I wish for their return

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

woke kaczynski posted:

Gen 3 pokemon contests were the absolute best non-battle side content (pokeathlon a respectable second) and every day I wish for their return

Truth.