Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Delighted to see there’s an active thread on this game.

Just picked it up on a recent switch sale and I’m loving it. I’ve played a lot of games with “dialogue choices” in them and this game just… puts them all to shame and does it with ease. Every character, pretty much, is interesting and contributes to the world in one way or another. It’s really just a great time.

I finally reloaded one save at a failed check so I could redo it getting into the apartment building to find the smoker and I feel very dirty. I don’t think I’ll be doing that again since failing checks and seeing how it plays out seems to be part of the fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

You can self-impose an Ironman restriction but honestly in the interest of squeezing the most out of your playthrough I tend to save scum the really important checks

But sometimes failing a check is actually the best outcome anyway

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
If I wander up to a medium Physical Instrument check with my perpetually drunk and speed-addled hulking dumbshit ogre Harry and somehow flub the 97% check I'm scumming right then and there. Who's going to stop me? Kim? Kim can't stop me, because I do all my most important investigating at 1am so that God is sleeping and cannot see my sins

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
gotta cover your head while taking speed like you're eating the ortolan

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Angry Diplomat posted:

If I wander up to a medium Physical Instrument check with my perpetually drunk and speed-addled hulking dumbshit ogre Harry and somehow flub the 97% check I'm scumming right then and there. Who's going to stop me? Kim? Kim can't stop me, because I do all my most important investigating at 1am so that God is sleeping and cannot see my sins

sometimes you try your hardest and have all the right skills and you still fail. thats life and its a beautiful and terrible thing.

unless youre talking about the special event at the very end of the game and in which case you can prob suggest to your wife uhhh maybe a do over is in order....

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

wizard2 posted:

sometimes you try your hardest and have all the right skills and you still fail. thats life and its a beautiful and terrible thing.

unless youre talking about the special event at the very end of the game and in which case you can prob suggest to your wife uhhh maybe a do over is in order....

The fail you get when telling Kim to dance is heartbreaking.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Philippe posted:

I loving gasped out loud and was stunned for moments.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

RudeCat posted:

I loving gasped out loud and was stunned for moments.

instant reload, no shame

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

There is literally one upside to calling Kim a slur and that it's you get to call him a true Vacholiere in apology

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004
Ya, I went through that entire sequence. But I still felt bad and reloaded. I didn't want to go through another entire playthrough to see the dance and I'm glad I didn't.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Honestly curious what happens if you do carry on after callong kim a slur. He just storms off. Where does he go? Has he left your party till you talk to him again?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Zeniel posted:

Honestly curious what happens if you do carry on after callong kim a slur. He just storms off. Where does he go? Has he left your party till you talk to him again?

Yep, Kim just disappears from the world until the next day and you're on your own.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Just beat the game as a communist sorrycop (the traditional goon archetype), stats were 3/3/3/3 with focus in perception

Somehow managed to luck into the best ending without using a guide, managed to recover my badge gun and jacket, got Kim to dance which was an absolutely magnificent scene, remained sober and internalized wasteland of reality which really helped with a lot of skill checks

By the end of the game I'd maxed out hand/eye, reaction speed, esprit de corps and shivers with a few points in health and morale, plus authority

I somehow managed to quickdraw and shoot the merc immediately during the tribunal which ended up with only six people dying which seems decent enough

I met the phasmid and deduced that it had infected the deserter with some kind of dementia poison field

Back on land I was praised by Kim for being an insane commie hustler and he was so impressed by my actions that he ended up offering to work for precinct 41

GOOD END

Absolutely incredible game, only one I've ever played quite like it was planescape: torment

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The flavour text for getting sober is fantastic.

quote:

Congrats – you're sober. It will take a while for your body to remember how to metabolize anything that isn't sugar from alcohol, so you're going to be pretty ravenous soon. Eat plenty. You can expect your coordination and balance to improve in a couple of weeks. In two months, you might start sleeping like a normal person. Full recovery will take years, though. It’ll be depressing. And it’ll be boring. Don’t expect any further rewards or handclaps. This is how normal people are all the time.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Philippe posted:

It creates one of the most important dialogues of the game and it’s a beautiful indictment through a masterclass execution. Assuming responsibility and owning mistakes is one of the themes of the game.

Like, the game offers a very dramatic example to make its points, but we all have blundered with words in a fun environment while completely well-meaning. Some of the greatest opportunities to strengthen relationships come from those moments, where you put in the effort to listen and understand.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Kim's VA really goes off on his reaction, too. Hearing Kim get up to actual full-chested shouting at you is surprisingly terrifying.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I rolled snake eyes on the authority check to command Kim to dance and it was the most horrified instant savescum I've ever done in an RPG

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I defamed Kim on the radio once

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

christmas boots posted:

I defamed Kim on the radio once

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
That's loving awful. I would have cried myself to sleep if I got into that dialogue.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Drug addict fash run is pretty bad

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

My next run will definitely be inland empire/shivers where I just let the hideous necktie be my guide

I always end up pumping visual calculus because the visualisations it shows you when reconstructing a scene are badass and make me feel like this is what makes Harry a better case solver than Kim

e: secret best ending discovered https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQRdm5_fknk

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 8, 2023

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

I want so badly to do a fash/drug run but every time I see the text that I have to read through and subject my main man Kim to it makes me actually want to vomit.

I should just watch a LP so I don't have to subject myself to the pain.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I want so badly to do a fash/drug run but every time I see the text that I have to read through and subject my main man Kim to it makes me actually want to vomit.

I should just watch a LP so I don't have to subject myself to the pain.

so long as you don't actively call him a slur, get his favorite radio station to hate him personally, or fixate too hard on the post-fascist vision quest Icebreaker persona, he doesn't really care. he is a cop, after all

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Doing an insane racist acreed on live radio and then finishing it off with 'and shout out to my man Kim Kitsuragi, who agrees with everything I just said' is really funny though

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I just couldn't possibly do this to my darling Kim. I'm ashamed of you all.

shame!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Look, in that timeline, Kim willingly works alongside a fascist and tolerates his incredibly racist outbursts throughout the city. Frankly, DJ Mesh is right to call him out.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'm doing a 1/4/4/3 run with inland empire as my speciality and holy poo poo this is so different from my previous brainy run

Barely any blue thoughts chiming in so I get most of my lore and premonitions from esprit-de-corps, shivers, and inland empire with electrochemistry constantly telling me to do lines and sniff, lick, and shoot up any powder I find

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Beasteh posted:

I'm doing a 1/4/4/3 run with inland empire as my speciality and holy poo poo this is so different from my previous brainy run

Barely any blue thoughts chiming in so I get most of my lore and premonitions from esprit-de-corps, shivers, and inland empire with electrochemistry constantly telling me to do lines and sniff, lick, and shoot up any powder I find

Put more points in Half Light for the optimal experience.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Reading A Sacred and Terrible Air has got me desperately wanting to replay Disco Elysium, but my only real free time for the next six weeks is during commutes and lunch breaks at work. Is the Switch port any good? Or is it shittily optimised and unplayable?

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Switch port plays extremely well, ime. Load times feel almost non-existent since they patched it.

The only issue I have are that some specific situations causes the game to lock up after camera movements in dialogue in certain places. (Smoker on the balcony leaving being the main one)

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

it plays extremely well, except for the parts where it’s probably going to softlock

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

World War Mammories posted:

so long as you don't actively call him a slur, get his favorite radio station to hate him personally, or fixate too hard on the post-fascist vision quest Icebreaker persona, he doesn't really care. he is a cop, after all
It would be pretty fun if you could bring him to the endgame and have him NOT back you up. Probably not a thing though.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Someone has to try.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xander77 posted:

It would be pretty fun if you could bring him to the endgame and have him NOT back you up. Probably not a thing though.

Special, most difficult to get ending where Kim puts a bullet in your back knowing the reports (that he will write) will say it was a merc bullet

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Epic High Five posted:

Special, most difficult to get ending where Kim puts a bullet in your back knowing the reports (that he will write) will say it was a merc bullet

I'd have more respect for Kim if this was a thing.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I hate how hard it is to even get the SPEEDFREAKS FM interaction. I think you have to fail the Feld building shivers check multiple times? I played through the game 6 times yet still have never been able to get it.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

conversely I really like how esoteric and difficult to access scenes like the speedfreaks call are, it adds a sense of wonder that makes the game world seem a lot larger and fleshed-out than it actually is. it reminds me of the myriad obscure resolutions to sidequests in planescape: torment, like getting stale mary to rip off her own head out of altruism so that you can trade it for your sidekick to the skull collector

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Xander77 posted:

It’s hard to get Kim to be critical at all because the list of good guy to bad guy points is like 2:1. You have to go out of your way to antagonize Kim and be a lovely cop and skip a bunch of content altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

cptn_dr posted:

Reading A Sacred and Terrible Air has got me desperately wanting to replay Disco Elysium, but my only real free time for the next six weeks is during commutes and lunch breaks at work. Is the Switch port any good? Or is it shittily optimised and unplayable?

I finished the novel! I enjoyed it but felt like I missed a lot. I'm not sure how much I missed because of the rough translation or if I'm missing stuff just because Kurvitz is writing with some really weird ideas, chiefly the Pale itself, which never gets the kind of explanation in the novel that it did in DE.

Similar to DE it seems to me the actual mechanics of any of this matter very little compared to the thematic point of it. I'd love to get a physical copy of this with a better translation and annotate the gently caress out of it. And get a TTRPG book for this setting. Even though the novel could be really hard to follow, the setting still feels rich and fascinating and I just want to know more, and to play around in it.

Plot spoilers ahead:
I think the idea is that the Pale or the same phenomenon causing the Pale is also making the memory and physical artifacts related to things lost in it disappear? I think the missing girls were lost because of one of those freak giant waves that Jesper surfs on, and then slowly disappear from memory while the boys chase down false leads. Not really sure what the plan Khan had was meant to be or why Zigi was out exploring the pale and why Zigi was immune to it.

Also interesting to find out that in fiction ZA/UM is a psychedelic drug used to try and read another person's mind???