Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Panfilo posted:

Heard it doesn't really work on Steam deck, no controller support OR cloud saves which is very disappointing to hear, hopefully a hotfix happens soon.

Well that explains why I couldn't get it up and running on the deck last night despite tinkering for like an hour. Hopefully they get a fix out soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

I don't suppose if I got the game on Epic during early access I could get the Steam version or have a deal on the Steam version, could I? :v:

Nope the best you're going to get is 25% off if you own DD1 on steam. I believe there is an EGS save transfer prompt on first launch of the Steam version
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/31810/Darkest_Dungeon_The_Iron_Crown/

The only developer to my knowledge that has given Steam copies after exiting EGS early access was Klei Entertainment when Griftlands left exclusive early access and launched on Steam. They had you link your EGS and Steam accounts to their own account infrastructure (kleientertainment) and distributed copies that way
https://store.steampowered.com/app/601840/Griftlands/

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I was worried when some people in the D4 thread said the game was bad a couple months ago. I've been playing it. Game is good. Having to unlock a ton of stuff that's probably required for the hardest difficulties kinda sucks, but I don't mind it.

Biggest annoyance is monsters that wont leave death's door and still attack with a big hit on their turn anyway. I'd like to see a stacking damage debuff if a mob gets put on death's door three times in one turn that dispels with even one heal.

Gyoru posted:

The only developer to my knowledge that has given Steam copies after exiting EGS early access was Klei Entertainment when Griftlands left exclusive early access and launched on Steam. They had you link your EGS and Steam accounts to their own account infrastructure (kleientertainment) and distributed copies that way
https://store.steampowered.com/app/601840/Griftlands/

Zen studios gave away steam keys for PinballFX to people that bought tables on EGS. It was kind of a debacle though, since you had to fill out a google form with your game ID in it, so the studio checked and sent out the keys for thousands of requests by hand. And then since this ID was visible any time you went to the options menu in-game, some streamers had their IDs used in the form and their keys sent out to other people. That's on top of the controversy of asking people who owned the tables in their previous game (PinballFX3) to pay for those tables again (at a 50% discount) to play them in the new version.

So it can be a lot of grief without much gravy.

Lister fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 9, 2023

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I really, really hope that when they get the Steam Cloud functionality working so that this can be properly played on Steam Deck alongside your PC, they don't require you to start a new save.

Because we would not like that one bit, precious.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Mat Cauthon posted:

Well that explains why I couldn't get it up and running on the deck last night despite tinkering for like an hour. Hopefully they get a fix out soon.

I figured out if you go settings-compatibility-force Proton 8.0-2 it worked. Other people were mentioning different versions including experimental. Try them until you get one that runs the game.

Grave Robber is fast, flexible and self reliant. She dovetails into any team comp but isn't going to dominate the same way other heroes will in some particular category. And being able to flexibly target rank 4 is always going to be valuable even if the dmg isn't huge.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

temple posted:

huh, did you click his picture? i played for months and never noticed.

I was in the same boat and the only way I figured it out was after watching the trailer they made for the character reveal. Unfortunately, the bounty hunter sucks. He does good damage but he only sticks around for one mission so there's no point in giving him trinkets. I tried to find some utility, like swapping out a character with bad relationships but you're just kicking the can at that point.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

RVWinkle posted:

I was in the same boat and the only way I figured it out was after watching the trailer they made for the character reveal. Unfortunately, the bounty hunter sucks. He does good damage but he only sticks around for one mission so there's no point in giving him trinkets. I tried to find some utility, like swapping out a character with bad relationships but you're just kicking the can at that point.
I think he's more a strategy thing. Should you take him , which character to replace, etc...

I had forgotten about him until a couple of months ago and kept expecting him to be physically standing in the inn. I'm so dumb.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

DLC Inc posted:

I still haven't seen Bounty Hunter show up at all, drat.

I think he's supposed to show up at least once every run, at the Inn. There's a little fluttery portrait behind the characters, above the fireplace, and it'll have like a lil face on it. Click that. Think you gotta unlock him with candles first, though? Can't remember.

I used to rag on the man, but I've kinda come around him. It's situational when you'll actually wanna sub him in, but if you do he's flexible out to rank 3, and he makes for a good bit of disposable meat--particularly if you can grab him early, before your team builds up strength and trinkets. Nice for early boss kills or late fights where you think you might lose somebody, like the Exemplar. That said, he's still the only character design in the game I don't love. Guy just looks...off, somehow.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
Really liking this game a lot, even though I suck at it.

I spent candles unlocking "Paths" but didn't know I needed to enable them and went on 2 more runs without any, whoops.

In both runs I died to the Tangle lair boss, the guy that stacks up a vine debuff and makes it so your only action is to suffer in it. What is the gimmick to this fight? I spent like 3 rounds having most my guys not be able to use any of their abilities.

Got to the MTN boss on my 4rth run but they sniped my highwayman and I couldn't finish it.

Think I will unlock Jester and try again when I get home.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

kickascii posted:

In both runs I died to the Tangle lair boss, the guy that stacks up a vine debuff and makes it so your only action is to suffer in it. What is the gimmick to this fight? I spent like 3 rounds having most my guys not be able to use any of their abilities.

Attacking the immune root in the back will remove all root stacks from one character. Do it twice a turn and you will never have to suffer.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

for people who hate death's door on enemies: Grave Robber gets a skill later on called Glint In The Dark that, when upgraded, coming out of stealth guarantees a kill against any enemy with death's door. Pretty great for an assassination build for her.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

kickascii posted:

Really liking this game a lot, even though I suck at it.

I spent candles unlocking "Paths" but didn't know I needed to enable them and went on 2 more runs without any, whoops.

Got to the MTN boss on my 4rth run but they sniped my highwayman and I couldn't finish it.

Think I will unlock Jester and try again when I get home.

Avoid the lairs, don't do them unless you absolutely have to! They're really tough and the rewards are pretty small. You need to have a team built specifically to take down bosses and there's still a good chance that you will lose. For the Dreaming General, it will place two tap roots under two of your characters every round so you need at least two characters that can reliably hit the back row every round to cause the growth to recede. You also need very good stress mitigation.

The easiest bosses are in the Foetor and the Spawl so I'd suggest taking one of those regions as the last one after you have mastered some skills and collected a few good trinkets. The Sprawl is probably the easiest but you need to be able to hit the back ranks hard and fast. For the Foetor, you want an attack that pulls the enemy so you can keep the boss out of the front rank. Both of these bosses take multiple turns every round so they get wrecked by DoTs.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I killed Death with one character alive and effectively ended my run but what triggered it to spawn? Is it random?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Dreaming General also got ramped up in difficulty. You need 2 dedicated heroes hitting the taproot to keep the effect off you. "The soil stirs" telegraphs his strong attack (they added Bleed to The Walking Dead making it much more nasty).

Plague doctor using Plague grenade and occultist using abyssal artillery is great because these skills also damage the boss in the process saving you time. Heroes with Guard can protect allies targeted by walking dead. But early in metaprogression he's going to be a tough cookie. Both of his trophies are also mediocre compared to librarian combat trophy (burn proc on crits) or harvest child trophy (tons of inv space or tons of hp).

Bounty Hunter is quite good, he's scaled like a hero with all mastered skills and has the only stun that doesn't require a combo token to set up. He's also completely expendable so if you lose him along the way no biggie.

In the future focus on unlocking skills at shrines before too much paths. The passive stat boosts are worth it, but you can't fully make the most out of some paths with just the base skills. Yellowhand Highwayman buffs Highway Robbery and Double Cross but I think these are among the last skills you unlock in shrines, for instance.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PosSibley posted:

Attacking the immune root in the back will remove all root stacks from one character. Do it twice a turn and you will never have to suffer.

Holy poo poo. My strategy the entire time has been to load up on DPS so that I can kill him before he kills my guys.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

If any enemy on death's door has multiple DOTs fo they all roll as one hit or do they proc individually?

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
My suggestions for node selection.

Priorities:

Creature Lair - Hard fight but usually gets 2 mastery points and inn bonuses
Oasis - Usually drops a really good item
Resistance Encounters - Lots of good rewards
Cultist Encounters - Good rewards but harder than Resistance Encounters. Cultist trinkets are a bit gimmicky but there's some good trinkets for a Grave Robber.
Cache - The rewards aren't as good as Resistance or Cultist Encounters
Hospital - Nuking bad quirks and diseases is probably the best use of relics

Avoid:

Lair - You will die
Assistance Encounter - It doesn't have much value at the beginning of an expedition but can be circumstantial near the end.
Hoarder - Rarely sells any good trinkets and trinkets are best found elsewhere
Watchtower - Most of the time your path is locked in and it's better to pick a node that provides rewards
Academic's Study - Most of the really spicy trinkets dropped here are circumstantial or have really bad penalties.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

CuddleCryptid posted:

If any enemy on death's door has multiple DOTs fo they all roll as one hit or do they proc individually?

I think they all count as one check because otherwise Lepers Ruin skill would be insanely strong (it gives +20% dmg each time he is hit over 3 rounds) if individual DoT all triggered a 'hit' separately.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

RVWinkle posted:

My suggestions for node selection.

Priorities:

Creature Lair - Hard fight but usually gets 2 mastery points and inn bonuses
Oasis - Usually drops a really good item
Resistance Encounters - Lots of good rewards
Cultist Encounters - Good rewards but harder than Resistance Encounters. Cultist trinkets are a bit gimmicky but there's some good trinkets for a Grave Robber.
Cache - The rewards aren't as good as Resistance or Cultist Encounters
Hospital - Nuking bad quirks and diseases is probably the best use of relics

Avoid:

Lair - You will die
Assistance Encounter - It doesn't have much value at the beginning of an expedition but can be circumstantial near the end.
Hoarder - Rarely sells any good trinkets and trinkets are best found elsewhere
Watchtower - Most of the time your path is locked in and it's better to pick a node that provides rewards
Academic's Study - Most of the really spicy trinkets dropped here are circumstantial or have really bad penalties.

Assist encounters are always worth it because keeping torch up is good and you typically have the option of getting an item, food, or repairs. Starting wagon only has 2 armor/wheel and it's easy to have them stripped off.

Watchtower gives a bit of torch and can be good early on when you have many branching paths.

Hoarder has better selection than before and is a better way of finding good trinkets for sale. Similarly they nerfed store in hospital and inn. Any mid route use for baubles frees up lots of space.

Agreed on academic study, very steep risk/reward and it also heavily depends on existing hero quirks.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

End of first run spoiler

God dammit, I didn't realize that whatever lock you have left over at the end triggers its blocking every single round and ended up losing the fight with *all four* heroes still standing because I didn't burn down the one that blocks melee attacks, and all my ranged attacks don't hit the first position. gently caress!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

CuddleCryptid posted:

End of first run spoiler

God dammit, I didn't realize that whatever lock you have left over at the end triggers its blocking every single round and ended up losing the fight with *all four* heroes still standing because I didn't burn down the one that blocks melee attacks, and all my ranged attacks don't hit the first position. gently caress!
Yep, that will get ya. What I kinda like about that first chapter boss is that it encourages you to diversify your skills. Kinda tough on your first run when you barely unlocked anything of course (I narrowly finished it with 2 survivors). The stuns can be a bitch too.

A few things I noted about it-'hybrid' skills that both heal and stress heal get double hosed because both heal lock and stress heal lock will disable them. And while melee lock prevents melee skills from being activated, heroes with riposte tokens or good affinity helper attacks can still trigger.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

poe meater posted:

I killed Death with one character alive and effectively ended my run but what triggered it to spawn? Is it random?

I think encounters with Death is a side effect of having the Flagellant in your party. I'm still learning about the character but he has some very unusual traits. For example, instead of meltdown, he becomes 'Toxic' after reaching maximum stress.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Alright, this run is blessed. Got to the mountain with my party intact after facing the General as the very first encounter on the road.

Gonna do the Mountain tomorrow though, gotta sleep.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

game is real good

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I faced the General and did not figure out his gimmick in time and boy howdy that was an incredibly annoying failure spiral.

Countzer
May 27, 2022
As much as I am rather enjoying the gameplay loop of Slay the Mountain, I am bouncing off on its narrative. I find the idea of the Professor showing up and giving you the literal embodiment of the abstract concept of Hope extremely corny and a bit... I dunno, transgressive (?) of the setting as established by the original. I enjoy the apocalyptic escalation, but the vibe I am getting from the game is "no matter how bad things are they can always get better" and that, as presented, completely falls flat for me.

I don't know, perhaps I am getting a very bad read of the game (I am only on Resentment after all), perhaps that kind of sentiment has been permanently poisoned by well-meaning but ultimately naive financially secure boomers for me, but at first impression the game's aesthetics and worldbuilding when paired with its, at times, sentimental writing have been creating a lot of narrative dissonance for me. How is everyone else feeling on that aspect of the game?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Countzer posted:

As much as I am rather enjoying the gameplay loop of Slay the Mountain, I am bouncing off on its narrative. I find the idea of the Professor showing up and giving you the literal embodiment of the abstract concept of Hope extremely corny and a bit... I dunno, transgressive (?) of the setting as established by the original. I enjoy the apocalyptic escalation, but the vibe I am getting from the game is "no matter how bad things are they can always get better" and that, as presented, completely falls flat for me.

I don't know, perhaps I am getting a very bad read of the game (I am only on Resentment after all), perhaps that kind of sentiment has been permanently poisoned by well-meaning but ultimately naive financially secure boomers for me, but at first impression the game's aesthetics and worldbuilding when paired with its, at times, sentimental writing have been creating a lot of narrative dissonance for me. How is everyone else feeling on that aspect of the game?
I don't think the Professor is hope. There are some more dialog later. While the game is maybe deliberately light on plot, it fits DD1. Instead of one man's corruption dooming his estate, the world is in ruin. Every cruelty and depravity exists. There are small touches that brings this home. Particularly with the runaway. She's the embodiment of the player in that her actions destroyed what gave her shelter. Like fire being someone's hope or doom based on how its used.

temple fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 10, 2023

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

Countzer posted:

How is everyone else feeling on that aspect of the game?

Thematically it’s covering different ground than DD1. Instead of uncovering and purging hidden, cancerous secrets, you’re trying to hold together a fractured world in chaos. Light goes from an instrument for peeling back the unknown to a beacon of stability.

Diegetically the “Hope” light makes sense to me as an actual supernatural force gifted to you by the Academic in opposition to the Loathing. The torch is reinforced by acts of altruism to drive back the Loathing, which attempts to twist people into monstrousness mentally and physically. Where the Loathing is victorious the world itself breaks apart (e.g. the mountain).

It’s a different type of story that strikes a more positive emotional tone. I disagree with you about who specifically enjoys that type of story, but I’ll leave it at that :)

I’ve only finished act 2 so maybe it turns out It Was All A Dream and I’ll feel stupid about this post, but at the moment it satisfies me in theme and as a story about actual supernatural conflict

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Alright, Denial cleared!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

End of first run spoiler

I once ran into this exact same problem in early access and swore they had fixed this. I had been in the same pickle with having only 2 characters left who, due to the spots they occupied vs the last boss, couldn't do anything and it seemed like an excessively cruel punishment. Maybe I imagined it but I thought there was some kind of pity they implemented so you could just do damage to them anyway but I guess not. Either way, rotten way to lose.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The game is definitely a lot more metaphorical now, and it does make the plot more confusing. During my first play on the demo I definitely had a moment of "so is the light hope? Is it an actual torch? We are the *only* hope left in existence? That seems like a heavy burden for four dudes in a wooden carriage."

DD1 largely boiled down to "there are some monsters go gently caress them up" 99% of the time, so having bosses that are so weird the second time is a shift.

DLC Inc posted:

I once ran into this exact same problem in early access and swore they had fixed this. I had been in the same pickle with having only 2 characters left who, due to the spots they occupied vs the last boss, couldn't do anything and it seemed like an excessively cruel punishment. Maybe I imagined it but I thought there was some kind of pity they implemented so you could just do damage to them anyway but I guess not. Either way, rotten way to lose.

Thank you for the validation that I'm not just bad at the game (even though I am)

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Just a tip for new players: You can always restart the run. The candles you lose are easy to replace. There is no reason to suffer through a run that's doomed, unless you like that kind of thing. A part of the tension is getting deep in a run and trying to make it to the last inn. But prior to that, you won't lose that many candles.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
The devs also said explicitly they wanted a more hopeful game than the first game and that they were in a different emotional place now (partly due to real life politics changing.)

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
A streamer I follow on Twitch made a good newbie guide. I found it to be very helpful.

https://old.reddit.com/r/darkestdungeon/comments/13b5r2i/journeymans_guide_to_darkest_dungeon_2_includes/

I need to stop taking every lair boss fight. I thought on my 3rd-5th run I could take at least 2 down, and so far it's been my death knell. I should probably just try and beat the first mountain challenge.

I miss the frequent barks the characters used to have though. It brought a lot into the atmosphere of the game, and made fights feel more real.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

temple posted:

Just a tip for new players: You can always restart the run. The candles you lose are easy to replace. There is no reason to suffer through a run that's doomed, unless you like that kind of thing. A part of the tension is getting deep in a run and trying to make it to the last inn. But prior to that, you won't lose that many candles.

Unless you're already down 2 heroes early on, I'd argue even if your team is getting smashed there is plenty reason to continue i.e. getting more hero shrines done, hero goals, making it to the inn to maybe swap out one of your guys for the Bounty Hunter, etc.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Is there a difference between getting a game over and quitting mid fight? Sometimes it's an unwinnable fight but it can be a slog to just lose. Not sure if I'm losing out on rewards?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Alright, Denial cleared!

Same here! It was really exciting how I managed it:

I somehow found a pocket watch trinket which after every turn gives a 50% chance of an extra action and a 50% chance to apply stun. I gave it to my grave robber and quickly found that with the occasional resisted stun it was still absolutely worth it and resulted in a net increase in actions over time.

But THEN at the last inn I was able to get my hands on stun resist boosting inn items. Put her at 100% stun resist and now it's just 50% chance of extra turns with no downside. Went on to blight up all the locks like crazy and watch em tick down. I still lost my Occultist but I won!

This game is very cool

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

poe meater posted:

Is there a difference between getting a game over and quitting mid fight? Sometimes it's an unwinnable fight but it can be a slog to just lose. Not sure if I'm losing out on rewards?

Yeah, I would like a white flag option once it is clear you are locked in a failure spiral but you dudes just won't die.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Yeah, I would like a white flag option once it is clear you are locked in a failure spiral but you dudes just won't die.

Maybe I misunderstand but that option exists in "Abandon Run." As far as I can tell there's no difference between that and a party wipe. You still keep all the candles you banked either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Regy Rusty posted:

Maybe I misunderstand but that option exists in "Abandon Run." As far as I can tell there's no difference between that and a party wipe. You still keep all the candles you banked either way.

I am talking about in the middle of a fight, when it is clear you are not winning,